Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896741 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I've never really been into F&J  - does the "classic" lineup include Newstead?
Newsted was only on their first album.
The rest of the band was:
Eric AK Knutson-vocals
Michael Gilbert-guitar
Ed Carlson=guitar
Kelly Smith-drums

Troy Gregory plays bass on their second and third albums (my two faves!).
Jason Ward would become their bassist for their fourth album and has been there ever since.

F&J would make six albums up through 1997.
Then they rotated in different guitarists/drummers for a few negligable albums.

But last year the AK/Gilbert/Carlson/Smith and Ward lineup recorded The Cold together, and I was severely bummed with it.

Flotsam & Jetsam will start showing up on the lists here in this thread shortly, at least for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
You never know - they might for me too (although it would be surprising).  I'm listening to a lot of new music for each year to be sure, to be sure
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 07:49:49 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Any Axenstar fans here? I've never heard of them, but I've heard some samples of their new album. It sounds great. Seems they've been around a while. I will be jumping in on this band when their album is released next week.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Any Axenstar fans here? I've never heard of them, but I've heard some samples of their new album. It sounds great. Seems they've been around a while. I will be jumping in on this band when their album is released next week.

I used to have one of their albums which I filed under "typical double kick power metal with an average vocalist" but I'll check out the newy if you're "jumping on 'em"  :D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I know. Lots of generic stuff out there. I put the first Dionysus album in the same file, though I heard some recent stuff by them which sounded pretty good.
I do love this type of music though, so I'm always on the lookout for a new band to check out.

Offline Lowdz

Went through a power metal stage last year and Axenstar were one of the bands i checked out. They were ok, nothing more than that and Brent summed them up pretty nicely.
So many average bands in the genre - they all sound great for a song or three but tend to be very same-y over an album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You guys are making it hard for me to spend my money! :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Just made my 1984 List. Lots of great albums left out of the Top 10.

1984 was a great year for debut albums.
Armored Saint
WASP
Bon Jovi
Metal Church
Anthrax
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 06:34:49 AM by TAC »

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Just made my 1984 List. Lots of great albums left out of the Top 10.

Yeah......it's getting nuts , especially with the arrival of hair metal in a big way.   I would say in the prior years most of the honourable mentions would've averaged a high 70's rating .......in 1984 it'll be more high 80's and I might even have some 90% rated albums not break into the top 10.  Not sure yet. 

I've been listening all week ............maybe another dozen albums to go and a few quick checks on some obscure ones to make sure I've got all my shit together.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
  I would say in the prior years most of the honourable mentions would've averaged a high 70's rating .......in 1984 it'll be more high 80's and I might even have some 90% rated albums not break into the top 10.  Not sure yet. 

I don't know. We've had great batches of Honorable Mentions so far.  The early to mid 80's was really a great time in hard rock music.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Just uncovered another 20-30 albums I need to check out ...............that'll make close to 100 album scores added to my data for 1984 ::)    Thank God 1985 is much weaker.

The Top 10 is pretty much settled but I'm trying to make sure I have all the obscure stuff covered for the honourable mentions. As per usual a few big names will miss the cut and upset you all , especially now that I have upped the cut-off score to 80%  :P :angel:  In mr.com terms that's a cutoff of 100% :)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 03:55:17 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
As per usual a few big names will miss the cut and upset you all , especially now that I have upped the cut-off score to 80%  :P :angel:  In mr.com terms that's a cutoff of 100% :)

:lol Be fair, it's more like 98%. You have to leave a little head room!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Just uncovered another 20-30 albums I need to check out ...............that'll make close to 100 album scores added to my data for 1984 ::)   
Would love to see that full list. I'm sure there's stuff that I never even bothered to check out.

A great fairly obscure band that realeased albums in 83/84 was Hawaii, featuring Marty Freidman.

Offline Lowdz

Just uncovered another 20-30 albums I need to check out ...............that'll make close to 100 album scores added to my data for 1984 ::)   
Would love to see that full list. I'm sure there's stuff that I never even bothered to check out.

A great fairly obscure band that realeased albums in 83/84 was Hawaii, featuring Marty Freidman.

I have that on vinyl. Have to say it didn't do anything for me at the time. Haven't heard it in 30 years or so!  :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I remember I bought Hawaii and Tsunami on the same day. Go figure. :lol
Rox too.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
1984 has some amazing albums.

Interested to see where Defenders makes the cut on your list and if Last in Line even makes it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

Including 1984 itself. :biggrin:

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!

Interested to see where Defenders makes the cut on your list and if Last in Line even makes it.
1984 has some tough competition, but if any Dio album is going to make a top X albums list Last In Line is it. I'm not big on his solo career (at least compared to Rainbow and to a lesser extent Sabbath) but that album is fantastic. 80s metal at its best. I'd take it over Defenders even.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Last in Line is one of my favorites but I know Brent isn't a mega fan, so just curious where it ends up in the list

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Last in Line is one of my favourite Dio albums too, so either it's included, or the list is wrong. :biggrin:

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Last in Line is one of my favourite Dio albums too, so either it's included, or the list is wrong. :biggrin:

lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Last In Line is the shit.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
OK.................I'll try and address some of the above issues.

-  TAC's request for the full list............I can sorta do something there - see below
- Defenders and Last In Line..............both make it but not top 10......I'll explain the criteria in more detail but to even get an honourable mention in 1984 means I really,really like the album.  80% = mr.com 110%  :D
-  Blob believes all who disagree with him are wrong ...............can't do anything about that sorry  ;D

At the risk of getting totally boring I'll explain a bit about how I'm doing this.  It's all being done very quickly so the rating methods are pretty rough and ready but it gets the job done. 

I have never been one for formally rating albums at all , but 12-18 months ago I thought I had better start.  I looked at my collection (now >4000 albums) and realised I would never listen to them all before I cark it and that I couldn't remember how good half of them are.   Rating the albums would help to sort out the wheat from the chaff and provide a good reference point not only for best tracks but the album ratings would sort out those that are worth listening to as whole albums.  Those that come in at <70% (implied album rating of < 4 stars in iTunes) I don't bother to keep in my spreadsheet - they are deemed not worth an "album listen" but I have the song ratings to refer to.

I just use iTunes star ratings for the tracks.  I'm thinking something alone these lines when I rate them:

1 star :  shit
2 stars: barely listenable - nothing I wish to hear again
3 stars: decent song - good for occasional rotation
4 stars: quality song - good for regular rotation
5 stars: great song that really gets me in- a favourite.

At the end of the album I average them out , convert to a rating out of 100 and then have +/- 4 pts I can use to adjust for things like the whole album experience, production and if I felt some songs may have been more like 4 and a half than 4 etc...........     The key point is that consistency plays a big part.  Take an album like Defenders - the first 4 songs are about as good as any 4 on any metal album for me (The Sentinel may be my all time fave JP song) but IMO the rest of the album fades from there and so it ends up with a good but not great rating , even though it contains a few of my all time favourite songs.  Same goes (even more so) for Holy Diver.   I have rated The Last In Line higher than Holy Diver even though it has one LESS all time favourite song.........it makes up for that with almost no filler.

Onto to TAC's request..............I can't give you a totally comprehensive list because a number of the albums I have sampled a few songs and decided not to even bother rating them and haven't recorded those names (there's probably 20 of those already).    Then there's albums that I have rated but have come in < 70% (Metal Church is one I have done today).......they are not in my spreadsheet either , as mentioned above.

What I can give you (bearing in mind that 80% is required to make the list) is those that have been rated and made the 70% cutoff for my spreadsheet:

Quiet Riot    Condition Critical
KISS    Animalize
Black'n'Blue   s/t
Armored Saint   March Of The Saint
The Rods   Let Them Eat Metal
Lee Aaron   Metal Queen
Ratt   Out Of The Cellar
Manowar   Hail To England
Mama's Boys   s/t
Y&T   In Rock We Trust
Giuffira   Giuffria
Dokken   Tooth and Nail
Fates Warning   Night On Brocken
Saxon   Crusader
Icon   Icon
Judas Priest   Defenders of the Faith
Twisted Sister   Stay Hungry
Queensryche   The Warning
Dio    The Last In Line
Yngwie Malmsteen   Rising Force
Autograph   Sign In Please
Scorpions   Love At First Sting
Whitesnake   Slide It In
Metallica   Ride The Lightning
Iron Maiden   Powerslave
Van Halen   1984
Europe   Wings of Tomorrow
Bon Jovi   Bon Jovi
Grim Reaper   See You In Hell
Sammy Hagar    VOA
Helix   Walkin The Razor's Edge
Keel   Lay Down The Law
Kick Axe   Vices
W.A.S.P:s/t

And here's some albums I still need to listen to and rate in coming days ( a couple are likely more AOR and won't make it) :

Krokus   The Blitz
Laaz Rockit   City's Gonna Burn
Legs Diamond   Out On Bail
Loudness   Disillusion
Madam X    We Reserve The Right
Gary Moore   We Want Moore
Zebra   No Tellin Lies
Waysted   Waysted EP
Tyran Pace   Eye To Eye
Triumph   Thunder Seven
Tokyo Blade   Night Of The Blade
TKO   In Your Face
TNT   Knights of the New Thunder
Stryper   The Yellow and Black attack
Stone Fury   Burns Like A Star
Sinner   Danger Zone
Savatage   The Dungeons Are Calling
Running Wild   Gates To Purgatory
Q5   Steel The Light
Pretty Maids   Red Hot and Heavy
Omen   Battle Cry
MSG   Rock Will Never Die
220 volt    Power Games
Blackfoot    Vertical Smiles
Bronz   Taken By Storm
Fastway   All Fired Up
HSAS   Through The Fire
Honeymoon Suite   Honeymoon Suite
Joshua   The Hand Is Quicker Than The Eye
Lizzy Borden    Love You To Pieces
Meat Loaf   bad Attitude
Ted Nugent   Penetrator
Rose Tattoo   Southern Stars
Samson   Don't Get Mad, Get Even
Santers   Guitar Alley
Slade   Keep Your Hands Off My Power Supply
Urgent   Cast The First Stone
Warlock   Burning The Witches
Vengeance   Vengeance
Widow   Gone Too Far
White Heart   Vital Signs
Fee Waybill    rRead My Lips
White Wolf   Standing Alone
Zero Nine   Headline
Virgin steele   Burn The Sun
Jag Panzer   Ample Destruction

There'll be a few more..............unfortunately I've been out most of today and fell behind.  I am trying to be as comprehensive as possible.  Most of these albums are not albums I grew up with and so I've come in later and listened to them only a little bit in many cases.  So I feel like I need to give them a good listen rather than rate by memory.   That's adding a lot of time to it that I really never budgeted for , but I'm a sucker for going overboard once I set myself a task.

To put it in context the 80% rating required to get an honourable mention means that an album must average 4 stars across the whole thing - not many albums are able to achieve that with me.  So anything that gets there in 1984 really deserves it....and there's a heap of them.  An amazing year where many that have missed the Top 10 would've made it in past years.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 06:59:59 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
-  Blob believes all who disagree with him are wrong ...............can't do anything about that sorry  ;D

For once you're the odd one out on this one! But at least it's made the cut so far, so maybe not all hope is lost on you. :lol
Can't see any other obvious omissions for the genre. I await your top 10. :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
The mere fact you have Vengeance and Slade in there demonstrates you've gone pretty deep.  Keep Your Hands Off My Power Supply is a fantastic album.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Awesome list Brent. I understand why there is no Rush but where in the world is Spinal Tap and especially WASP

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Awesome list Brent. I understand why there is no Rush but where in the world is Spinal Tap and especially WASP

Spinal Tap were going to get a mention but I didn't bother rating it  ;D   W.A.S.P should be there........it's one of the few from this time period that I did grow up with and didn't need to listen in order to rate  ;)     Headless Children made my all time top 10 so you can be sure W.A.S.P. are not forgotten.

TAC............I do have the 1985 Hawaii album down for a listen btw.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 09:10:00 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

So many great albums this year - that Hawaii album is not one of them  :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Good working list so far.  I could definitely do a full top-10 with honorable mentions from that list.  Stryper is the only one I see on your "need to listen to" list that would definitely meet either my top 10 or honorable mention list.  I also note that, unless I missed it, there was a Whitesnake album that year that DEFINITELY needs to be on the list as well.

Lastly, I have two albums I am going to include on my "no, it's not hard rock/metal, but it's so good I'm going to honorably mention it anyway" list: 
-Prince - Purple Rain
-The Cars - Heartbeat City
Hard rock/metal?  Nope.  Do I care?  Nope.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Keep Your Hands Off My Power Supply is a fantastic album.
Yeah it really is. Made the J Boy Top 50 if I recall. It's much stronger than the two singles bear. In fact, It's fairly heavy.

B, your list brings back so many memories. Much of it though, I never bothered to check out, but I had 60% of those albums. You listed Bronz- Taken By Storm. Wow, never thought I'd see that in print! I actually had that on cassette. I found it kind of lame. Would be right up Lowdz' alley! ;D Wolfking too! ;D ;D

Vertical Smiles was basically the demise of Blackfoot. Man did that thing suck!

You also mention the Waysted EP. I wore that thing out. That DOES make my Top 10 for 1984, though I wouldn't expect anyone else to like it.

Helix, Kick Axe, WOW! I also liked that Legs Diamond album a lot.

A favorite of mine that you didn't list was Jack Starr's Out Of The Darkness, featuring Rhett Forrester on vocals, along with the bassist/drummer from The Rods.

Oh, and no need to list Honeymoon Suite or Fee Waybill. :D

I also note that, unless I missed it, there was a Whitesnake album that year that DEFINITELY needs to be on the list as well.

Worthy of listing, but not of ranking. I was very disappointed with Slide It In. Nothing is near as strong as Slow n Easy. Guilty Of Love is great though.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 01:58:22 PM by TAC »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
You leave my Honeymoon Suite alone Tim. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I also note that, unless I missed it, there was a Whitesnake album that year that DEFINITELY needs to be on the list as well.

Worthy of listing, but not of ranking. I was very disappointed with Slide It In. Nothing is near as strong as Slow n Easy. Guilty Of Love is great though.

Really?  That was my gateway Whitesnake album.  I thought it was great.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

The first Whitesnake album I bought was the double live Live In The Heart Of The City. About that time, Slow An Easy came out as a single. Such a great tune. I bought Slide It In, and honestly didn't care for it, save for a couple of tunes.

You leave my Honeymoon Suite alone Tim. :lol

They belong in another thread with these:
-Prince - Purple Rain
-The Cars - Heartbeat City

Offline Lowdz

I'm with you there. Really good album.
I could do a top 50 just from this year.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Forgot about Love Ain't No Stranger. Definitely a great tune.

Listening to it now. Standing In The Shadows is a great tune too.

OK, maybe not as bad as I remember. But I definitely remember not caring for it very much back in the day.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 02:05:21 PM by TAC »