Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896558 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Dio, Triumph & Zebra would make my top 10.

I thought Bark At The Moon was a poor album from Ozzy.  I love Rainbow's Bent Out Of Shape.  Saw them on that tour with Aldo Nova opening.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
As I mentioned earlier (when I inadvertently thought it was released in 1982), Never Surrender is the worst of Triumph's 80s output, but still a pretty good album.  Still not a lot here that I'm familiar with, 1983 is woefully under-represented in the jingle.library.  And as good as the QR EP is (was just listening to it the other day), I have trouble rating it above a full album, especially the likes of Piece of Mind, Shout at the Devil, Holy Diver, and Mean Streak.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah! 1983!!!

Will post when I get home. I need a keyboard!!!!

Nice list Brent. I loved that Heavy Pettin' album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
OK..mad props Brent for including Siogo and Headhunter on your list. That Blackfoot album is great, and I consider Headhunter to be the definitive Krokus album. It easily still holds up today.

Here's my list:
1. Metallica- Kill 'Em All
2. Iron Maiden-Piece Of Mind
3. Dio- Holy Diver
4. Saxon- Power And The Glory

Not sure how I forgot this..
Thin Lizzy -Thunder And Lightning.
would put it here on the list.

5. Ozzy Osbourne- Bark At The Moon
6. Y&T- Mean Streak
7. Accept- Balls To The Wall
8. Heavy Pettin'- Lettin' Loose
9. Loudness- Live-Loud-Alive
10.Tie :
Waysted-Vices
Riot- Born In America
UFO-Making Contact
MSG-Built To Destroy
Twisted Sister- You Can't Stop Rock n Roll
Blackfoot-Siogo
Gary Moore-Dirty Fingers
Queensryche- EP
Quiet Riot- Metal Health
Def Leppard- Pyromania
Krokus-Headhunter
 ;D

Seriously so many great albums.

I didn't list Lick It Up, though it was huge for the band. For their 80's output, I would still rate Asylum, Creatures, and Animalize over it.

And regarding Dokken's Breaking The Chains, I bought that when it came out. The title track is great, but I was severely disappointed with it. There's nothing remotely close to BTC, as the rest is pretty weak and thin. I loved Paris Is Burning though.

I'd also like to single out Loudness' Live Loud Alive album. This is one of the best live albums I've ever heard. Sure it's sung in Japanese, but musically, it's breathtaking!

I saw my first two concerts at the age of 14 in 1983.
Def Leppard/Krokus/Gary Moore 6/25/83
Iron Maiden/Fastway/Coney Hatch 8/27/83
Both at the old Cape Cod Coliseum.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 03:05:58 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

Def Leppard Pyromania
Y&T Meanstreak
Saxon Power And Glory
Alcatrazz No Parole From Rock n Roll
Dio Holy Diver
Manowar Into Glory Ride
KISS Lick It Up
thin Lizzy Thunder & Lightning
Maiden Piece Of Mind
Motley's Shout At The Devil

Close would be
Rock Goddess - Hell Hath No Fury (loved Jody Turner  :heart)
UFO's Making Contact
Savage Loose n Lethal
Steeler
Coney Hatch Outa Hand,
Killer Dwarfs' first one,
Gary Moore's Victims Of The Future,
Blackfoot Siogo

Stevie Ray Vaughan Texas Flood (not in the right genre but deserves the recognition)

I wasn't a fan of Breaking The Chains at all either. One good song.
BATM isn't a big favourite of mine, especially the UK version which didn't rock as much as the US version.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks for the lists guys - still a decent consensus there but a few we have totally opposite views on.   For me the albums I found pretty weak were Saxon , Riot, MSG, Quiet Riot (aside from the 2 classics) and Manowar.

I should've made a note against the Dokken.  You guys might be aware of this but Breaking The Chains was originally released in Germany by the Carrere label as Don Dokken : Breaking The Chains in 81/82 and then polished up (watered down) significantly and re-released by Elektra in the US in 1983.

Not only does it sound much rawer but it includes the studio version of Paris Is Burning (Paris).  I'm aware that some Dokken fans who don't like the US version really love the Carrere version.

Texas Flood crossed my mind too Paul.  I've also added the UFO to my HM's.........as you know I'm not the hugest fan but on this one they started to sound more 80's = more up my alley :)

Re Ozzy ......how they ever released it with Spiders in place of Slow Down is a mystery to me.  I wasn't even aware of that until Paul mentioned it.    That would dramatically alter the rhythm vs the album I grew up with.   Slow down is one of my top few tracks and I don't like Spiders.   Going to have a listen today to something I've had sitting around for a while - Ozzmosis demos which has a number of tracks that never made the album.  No idea how good it is.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 07:22:22 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I've actually never heard the original version of Breaking The Chains. I do remember that when they came out, a lot of people thought they were from Germany.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re Ozzy ......how they ever released it with Spiders in place of Slow Down is a mystery to me.  I wasn't even aware of that until Paul mentioned it.    That would dramatically alter the rhythm vs the album I grew up with.   Slow down is one of my top few tracks and I don't like Spiders.   Going to have a listen today to something I've had sitting around for a while - Ozzmosis demos which has a number of tracks that never made the album.  No idea how good it is.

Stop being wrong. :lol Slow Down is filler. I can't imagine the album without Spiders, as it's easily one of the best songs on the album.

I didn't know they'd actually released much of the scrapped stuff from Ozzmosis, but I must hear this. I think a lot of it was scrapped simply because it's not the direction the label wanted, so I wouldn't expect it to be too bad.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
There's that many freakin polls on DTF at the moment I might start posting a few new ones............like " Here's two songs to choose from.........who's right ..........Blob or everyone else?"  ;D

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 06:42:52 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
 ::) I'm used to this forum being backwards to the rest of the world already. It's a prog thing.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I think I'd prefer Slow Down. Either song would be the worst on the album anyway.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Spiders >>>  Slow Down.

Although, I never got the love for BATM, IMO the album has a lot of filler.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
No way!! Bark At The Moon is great!

Bark At The Moon
Rock n Roll Rebel
Journey To The Centre Of The Universe
You're No Different
All great tunes! Plus the masterpiece Waiting For Darkness.

Now if you want filler, just look at The Ultimate Sin!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
No way!! Bark At The Moon is great!

Bark At The Moon
Rock n Roll Rebel
Journey To The Centre Of The Universe
You're No Different
All great tunes! Plus the masterpiece Waiting For Darkness.

Now if you want filler, just look at The Ultimate Sin!

Ultimate Sin roolz  ;D    Just about anything metal with Jake on it , I get by just with the guitar playing.  And that's the main reason I love Slow Down most likely - Jake rips on it.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I should go back to BATM then.  I tried it so many times but just couldn't really connect with.  TUS on the other hand, was a big step up.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I would probably pick the Ultimate Sin over BATM slightly just because the title track and Shot in the Dark are two of my all time favorite Ozzy songs

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I would probably pick the Ultimate Sin over BATM slightly just because the title track and Shot in the Dark are two of my all time favorite Ozzy songs

Word.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
That Shot In The Dark video was a bit of a classic  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
A big step Down! ;D Seriously, I don't even think it's close.

Those songs are great, but there's just not mch else going on there. I do like Whole Worlds Falling Down and I can lve with Killer Of Giants.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Whole World's Falling Down was 6 years after The Ultimate Sin and was an Ozzmosis (Zakk) leftover if memory serves correct.  Written with Shaw/Blades.

Centre Of The Universe doesn't ring any bells either   :P  ;D   I didn't realise until recently that in some parts that song is known as "Forever."

The Ultimate Sin was my first real "metal" album and I love the whole thing...........so there :)  Even I admit the image at the time was pretty awful , but I love the music.   I can see how some viewed it as a glam metal sellout in a similar way to Y&T's Contagious but I don't seem to have the same problem with either album having started there.  Having said that I rate TUS much higher than Contagious.

I remember reading a Zakk Wylde interview where he was explaining how he has trouble with the material from The Ultimate Sin as it's so much softer than Bark At The Moon.  I don't get that either.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 06:18:19 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Whole World's Falling Down was 6 years after The Ultimate Sin and was an Ozzmosis (Zakk) leftover if memory serves correct.  Written with Shaw/Blades.

Centre Of The Universe doesn't ring any bells either   :P  ;D   I didn't realise until recently that in some parts that song is known as "Forever."

The Ultimate Sin was my first real "metal" album and I love the whole thing...........so there :)  Even I admit the image at the time was pretty awful , but I love the music.   I can see how some viewed it as a glam metal sellout in a similar way to Y&T's Contagious but I don't seem to have the same problem with either album having started there.  Having said that I rate TUS much higher than Contagious.

I remember reading a Zakk Wylde interview where he was explaining how he has trouble with the material from The Ultimate Sin as it's so much softer than Bark At The Moon.  I don't get that either.

That would be the Centre Of Eternity.  :facepalm: I'm having a Kingshmegland moment.

For some reason, Whole World's Falling Down is on my iPod with TUS.

Anyway, I get that people can like one album over another, but in all seriousness, I just don't think TUS is in BATM's league.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm pretty sure Ozzy has zero recollection of TUS era due to the huge amount of drugs. Shot in the Dark video is funny stuff

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Anyway, I get that people can like one album over another, but in all seriousness, I just don't think TUS is in BATM's league.

Fair enough - I think they're both awesome  :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
Mine would have to be something like this...

1. Ozzy Osbourne - Bark At The Moon
1. Motley Crue - Shout At The Devil
3. Dio - Holy Diver
4. Metallica - Kill 'Em All
5. Def Leppard - Pyromania
6. Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind
7. Thin Lizzy - Thunder And Lightning
8. Queensryche - Queensryche (EP)
9. Dokken - Breaking The Chains
10: Quiet Riot - Metal Health

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That is a great list! Thunder And Lightning is incredible.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Thunder And Lightning is incredible.

Yeah, it really is.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
They would also record their set at Reading in 1983 and release that as a BBC show. I would take that live album every day of the week over Live And Dangerous. It's fantastic. That version of Still In Love With You is unreal.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I wonder if Thin Lizzy would have continued on in that direction. What a fantastic album T&L is.

What a great band!

Offline Lowdz

I should go back to BATM then.  I tried it so many times but just couldn't really connect with.  TUS on the other hand, was a big step up.

Agree with this. BatM wasn't great - YUS was better. there's more Jake on it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Agree with this. BatM wasn't great - YUS was better. there's more Jake on it.

His solos are the best part of the record IMO, so much melody within the solos, great stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I wonder if Thin Lizzy would have continued on in that direction. What a fantastic album T&L is.
I would've loved to have heard what would be next. But the band was spent at the time. Phil would be dead in less than 3 years.
and he knew it too. The last track on T&L, Heart Attack, is very prophetic where he sings "Mama I'm dying." WOW!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Kelly Smith leaves Flotsam & Jetsam
https://bravewords.com/news/kelly-smith-leaves-flotsam-and-jetsam-to-focus-on-his-family

I LOVE and I mean LOVE classic Flotsam & Jetsam. Kelly Smith was a great drummer. Saw them many times standing about 6 feet away from his drums. :metal :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Wow, I honestly had no idea they were active in recent years.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
They've kind of been releasing albums along the way, but in the last few years, original guitarist Michael Gilbert and original drummer Kelly Smith rejoined. The near classic lineup released The Cold last year. I was very disappointed in it. Tuned down a few steps for my liking.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I've never really been into F&J  - does the "classic" lineup include Newstead?

www.theguitardojo.com.au