Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896565 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
As we get into the mid-late 80's I think opinions are going to diverge even more.  So far I think we've been about as consensus-like as you could get in a group of rock/metal fans , but I think some of us embraced the "hair metal" side while others stayed "true metal" to the core  :D

I possibly would've been more into bands like early Scorps and Maiden if I'd grown up with them but during the 80's - my school years -  (Ozzy WASP and Queensryche aside) I was pretty much purely hard rock/hair metal and most of that didn't start until around 1986.   It wasn't until the late 80's/early 90's that I began to really get into prog metal and then the "classic metal" side of things was last , inspired by Painkiller most likely .   Some even recent days  :lol  ..........I really like Revelations by Maiden now I've heard it  :laugh: .

Another big factor from my point of view is total lack of radio play for a lot of these bands.  I don't know about other countries but the only Scorpions song I have EVER heard on mainstream radio is Winds of Change.   If they toured here they'd be doing pub gigs or supporting Steel Panther  :D

And Kade.........hope everything's okay in those storms.  Looks pretty wild up there.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 01:35:59 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

I think I'm the exact opposite from you guys sometimes. I thought After The War was great as it was rocking after the relatively soft Wild Frontier.

Savage Amusement and Crazy World are decent enough, but the run Taken By Force through Love At First Sting (minus An Mag) is pretty strong.

There's bound to be some differences here and there - you're just wrong this time  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
As we get into the mid-late 80's I think opinions are going to diverge even more.  So far I think we've been about as consensus-like as you could get in a group of rock/metal fans , but I think some of us embraced the "hair metal" side while others stayed "true metal" to the core  :D

I possibly would've been more into bands like early Scorps and Maiden if I'd grown up with them but during the 80's - my school years -  (Ozzy WASP and Queensryche aside) I was pretty much purely hard rock/hair metal and most of that didn't start until around 1986.   It wasn't until the late 80's/early 90's that I began to really get into prog metal and then the "classic metal" side of things was last , inspired by Painkiller most likely .   Some even recent days  :lol  ..........I really like Revelations by Maiden now I've heard it  :laugh: .

Another big factor from my point of view is total lack of radio play for a lot of these bands.  I don't know about other countries but the only Scorpions song I have EVER heard on mainstream radio is Winds of Change. 

We had a good radio station nearby in Providence and a couple good ones in Boston. But the Providence station starting in late 82 would have a Metal Hour every Saturday night at Midnight that I listened to faithfully. I used to record them and keep a playlist. The DJ who started that would eventually pass the show on to a guy named Dr. Metal, who would eventually be killed in the Station Nightclub fire.
Anyway, that's the place where I first heard Hit The Lights, Queen Of The Reich, that sort of thing. 

Also as you say, things tend to branch out in short order soon, so hopefully everyone will share THEIR list as well.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Yeah, fair enough.  I can post the correct list, and each of you can share your opinions.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah, fair enough.  I can post the correct list, and each of you can share your opinions high praise.

I'm not going to have to camp out early for that line am I?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!

Another big factor from my point of view is total lack of radio play for a lot of these bands.  I don't know about other countries but the only Scorpions song I have EVER heard on mainstream radio is Winds of Change. 

We had a good radio station nearby in Providence and a couple good ones in Boston. But the Providence station starting in late 82 would have a Metal Hour every Saturday night at Midnight that I listened to faithfully. I used to record them and keep a playlist. The DJ who started that would eventually pass the show on to a guy named Dr. Metal, who would eventually be killed in the Station Nightclub fire.
Anyway, that's the place where I first heard Hit The Lights, Queen Of The Reich, that sort of thing. 

Also as you say, things tend to branch out in short order soon, so hopefully everyone will share THEIR list as well.

Tim, you talking WAAF?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Well, I listened to HJY in providence, but yes WAAF (I know it was Worcester) was huge. I wore an AAF t shirt everyday when I was in the 8th Grade.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
There was also a show for metal and still to this day on a NH radio station WHEB.  Though the metal today is a thousand times heavier.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
There was also a show for metal and still to this day on a NH radio station WHEB.  Though the metal today is a thousand times heavier.

SMU's college radio station did a metal show. I met the kid that did the show waiting in line for tickets once. Won KISS tix for the Asylum tour in Providence from them! I did my own Metal Show on my college radio station for 3 1/2 years.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I did my own mixed metal tapes from my basement. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I did my own mixed metal tapes from my basement. :lol

:metal :metal

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Remember how long those and the CD mixes took.  Now, 5 minutes on my I-Tunes and BAM!!  Nixed playlist!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It was a labor of love. It was a lot of work and you really had to consider running order. Some of those song transitions still stick to me 25 years later. Everytime I hear the end of Still Of The Night, I expect Master Of Puppets to kick in! :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
It was a labor of love. It was a lot of work and you really had to consider running order. Some of those song transitions still stick to me 25 years later. Everytime I hear the end of Still Of The Night, I expect Master Of Puppets to kick in! :lol

Same here re mix tapes - I just found a whole ton of them.  Most of them likely don't even play but just looking at the track lists brought back heaps of memories.

It was a dream of mine to do a college radio show but by the time I reached college all anybody wanted to hear was Nirvana and Red Hot Chili Peppers  >:(  Couldn't do it.

"Ok....... and here's Red Hot............................And Ready by Y&T " :)    I would've been sacked very quick.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 04:17:46 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It was a dream of mine to do a college radio show

I still remember interviewing with the Program Director when I got to school. The guy was like, "I'm sure you know bands like AC/DC and Iron Maiden, but what about obscure bands like Saxon and Riot". I stopped him dead in his tracks and named the members and albums by each band. :metal
So I got paired up at first with a guy already on air because I didn't know the equipment. He was into punk stuff, so I had to split time with Suicidal, DRI, that kind of thing, but when I came back for my sophomore year, he was gone and the show was mine!

It was a dream of mine to do a college radio show but by the time I reached college all anybody wanted to hear was Nirvana and Red Hot Chili Peppers 
I actually like One Hot Minute. With such slim pickings in the mid 90's for me, it will likely make my 1996 Top 10 when you get to that year.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

Damn straight.  There's also a handful of songs I expect to end before the last 5-8 seconds finish, because I didn't time the mix properly.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I always tred to make a mix like a concert.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Loved the mixed tapes!! Played them loud driving in my dads 1985 LeBaron

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
New UFO album in February.
https://bravewords.com/news/ufo-to-release-a-conspiracy-of-stars-in-early-2015-artwork-revealed
I sure hope it's better than the last one!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I haven't heard anything new from UFO since their 95 reunion album

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I haven't heard anything new from UFO since their 95 reunion album

Honestly, there's not a lot of great stuff. They would make two more albums with Michael Schenker after Walk On Water. 2000's Covenant is freaking awesome though. They have since made 4 albums with Vinnie Moore. From the four, you could make one real great mix CD.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Really enjoy their 70s and early 80s stuff, but never looked into them beyond that

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
300 pages through Paul Stanley's book and am enjoying it immensely.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Funny you should mention that . I was just told to go spend $100 on myself for stuff to give to others to give me back for Xmas  ::)     I have a few DVDs in mind and was also looking at a couple of rock autobiographies.  I was thinking Ozzy and Paul Stanley.   I was surprised at how universally positive the reviews on Ozzy's are actually.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I should be done on '83 by the end of the day - done a heap of listening for this one . I can understand why TAC had a 10 way tie for 10th.  As per usual I've rated a couple of classics a bit lower than is the consensus  :angel:  but on the whole I don't expect too much flak  ;D

It'll be nice to get to some years where I can just reel a few off from memory of growing up with the albums.  Although the number of albums eligible is about to blow out big time  :omg:.

Another album I'm going to listen to over the next couple of days is a band Gary Moore fronted for one album called G-Force.   I had forgotten about it altogether - it's among the hundreds of albums I have tracked down over the years but never really listened to.  If it's good I'll add it to the 1980 post.

Actually.....................make it "over the weekend.".  Just discovered another dozen albums I need to check out.   1983 was a pretty amazing year.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 05:01:43 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

I enjoyed it. But I enjoyed Peter's too even though it was all "I did really stupid things when I took stupid amounts of drugs but it's all Gene and Paul's fault I'm a fuck up".  :biggrin:

And Ace's No Regrets. He should have lots of regrets.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New UFO album in February.
https://bravewords.com/news/ufo-to-release-a-conspiracy-of-stars-in-early-2015-artwork-revealed
I sure hope it's better than the last one!

Yeah, the last one was pretty terrible.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Don't have the time to comment as much as I want to but I'm still following and trying to catch up. Overall no strong disagreement from me to the lists so far.

And just a few random comments:

Magnum's Chase The Dragon is great but all in all they are more rock than hard rock. And I always thought the were underrated and not overrated.

I really like Aerosmith but i never liked Rock In A Hard place, easily one of the worst records by them. Their output up to the split is great. So are Pump and Get A Grip, and that's definitely including the ballads. And tracks like Fever or Flesh are rocking as hard as any 70s song.

Diver Down is a good enough record, I really like it, but it's a bit inconsistent and very very short, even for early VH standards. The worst of the first six, but that's not saying much because VH is always exceptional.

I never came to like The Scorpions. Being a german band, they got a good amout of airplay, especially Rock You Like A Hurricane and Still Loving You but I really can't stand Meine's voice. And when Wind Of Change came out that killed every little sympathy I had left for them  :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

I'm up to Revenge right now.  Peter was such a tool.  Ace, well you can see where that was going. :lol  Gene?  Always about himself.  Paul always had to reel him in.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
It's taken me a while to get to a point where I feel I've got 1983 covered - I must've listened to 40+ albums this week to either refresh my memory or try albums that others regard as classics (low strike rate there  :D  ).  Living in 1983 for the best part of the last week has been a bit of an eye opener.   Not that I was really "music aware" at the time aside from KISS , but even so I'd never properly appreciated what a pivotal year it was.   I would find it hard to argue with someone who suggested that it's the most important year in metal ever.

Aside from the big event of KISS "de-masking" we had (amongst others) the following bands forming:  Testament, Stryper, Poison,Megadeth,Lizzy Borden, Helloween, Bon Jovi, Alcatrazz,Death

and debut albums from :  Metallica, Queensryche (EP),Slayer,Mercyful fate,  Ratt (EP), Pantera, Lita Ford, Savatage, Suicidal Tendencies,Dio , Europe, Dokken, Fastway,Waysted, Shy, Pretty Maids(EP).............the list goes on.

We also saw the final album from Lynott lead Thin Lizzy and the debut of Jake E Lee (a big fave of mine) in Ozzy's band.

I decided to keep the rating cutoff for an honourable mention at 75% because if I had made it 80% (which I will in 1984) then I would've excluded some well loved classics and we would've needed water cannons and tear gas to protect me from the rioters.  I shocked myself by including Iron Maiden in the Top 10 again based on my new ratings - seems my tastes are changing a little.  If it's not clear by now I'm doing these lists based mostly on how I view albums now , not based on how I rated them years ago.   

TOP TEN ALBUMS FOR 1983

1. Def Leppard: Pyromania
2. Ozzy Osbourne: Bark At The Moon
3. Queensryche: Queensryche (EP)
4. Blackfoot: Siogo
5. Gary Moore: Victims Of The Future
6. KISS : Lick It Up
7. Krokus: Headhunter
8. Motley Crue: Shout At The Devil
9. Iron Maiden : Piece Of Mind
10: Dokken : Breaking The Chains (TIE)
10: Rainbow: Bent Out Of Shape(TIE)

MADE THE SQUAD BUT NOT THE TEAM

I didn't want a six way tie for 10th so these missed by a bee's dick :

Thin Lizzy: Thunder And Lightning
Savatage: Sirens
Europe: Europe
Heavy Pettin' : Lettin' Loose

and the rest in no particular order..........

Accept: Balls To The Wall
Alcatrazz: No parole From Rock n Roll
Dio : Holy Diver
Helix: No Rest For The Wicked
Twisted Sister: You Can't Stop Rock n Roll
Y&T: Mean Streak
Zebra: Zebra
Vandenberg: Heading For A Storm
Shy: Once Bitten........Twice Shy
Ratt: Ratt (EP)
Warlord: Deliver Us (EP)
Demon: The Plague
Triumph: Never Surrender
UFO: Making Contact

I'm sure that Holy Diver being out of the Top 10 will bewilder a few but for me it's a typical Dio album.......IMHO it contains 2 killer/classic songs, 4 very good ones and 3 fillers which , up against stiff competition , makes it hard for me to rate it high enough to make the Top 10 even though the best songs are  :metal

Another extremely good year next....... meanwhile I'm going to take a break from the 80's for 24 hours :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 04:26:52 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Holy Diver is better than all of these albums, except maybe BATM.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Holy Diver is better than all of these albums, except maybe BATM.

No it's not  ;D ........in my humble opinion.

To be honest I'm surprised that you're familiar with every album I listed .......I wasn't before the exercise.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The bees dick line was very funny.

This year has my favorite releases overall from Dio ( would be my number 1), Def Lep, Crüe, Accept, Thin Lizzy, Twisted Sister and Y&T. So this would be an impressive year overall.

Not mentioned are Black Sabbath- Born Again, Coney Hatch- Outa Hand, Triumph- Never Surrender, and a very underrated gem- Steeler!

There are a few on your list that I'm not overly familiar with, but excellent list overall. Except for obviously the Dio situation lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I thought Born Again was awful .  You can tell that Gillan had the voice for it but very few of the songs impressed me at all.

I need to check my rating on Triumph - might have missed that one, so will add as required.   Steeler's pretty good - yeah.

Except for obviously the Dio situation lol

We officially have a situation  :o   :D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 03:05:38 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Both Dio and Black Sabbath would probably make my top 5, but that's a good list.

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.