Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896717 times)

Offline Lowdz

Thanks jj - I'll check out the debut Coney Hatch.   I have Friction (1985) and rate that quite highly

You don't have the first 2 Brent? For shame. Both are better than Friction, though they really shouldn't let the bass player sing the odd song  :biggrin:

Don't Say Make Me from the 2nd album is one of my favourite songs ever.

as gfar as KISS best ofs go, its Double Platinum all the way for me. Only Im A Legend Tonite and Nowhere To Run were worth it out of the new songs on Killers.

Bruce joining Maiden is one of those pivotal moments in music history!

As far as omissions Magnum's Chase The Dragon is a classic. ManOwaR's Battle Hymns is half awesome. UFO's Mechanix would be on my list - very overlooked album.

And I can't believe you left out the Split Beaver album... :biggrin:

That top 10 is pretty awesome - the HMs are a bit hit and miss for me. Only the Mama's Boys and Rainbow would make my list.

And how strange to think how few albums were released in those days compared to now...

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
No honorable mention for Never Surrender?  On second thought... nah, it's their worst album of the 80s.

Also, not the right genre, but a shout out MUST go to Thriller. 
:billiejean:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

As far as omissions Magnum's Chase The Dragon is a classic. ManOwaR's Battle Hymns is half awesome. UFO's Mechanix would be on my list - very overlooked album.

All of those were considered.   I owned only the UFO but did track them all down to listen for the exercise.  UFO was borderline HM so good one there, although I get the feeling that I have never connected with that band quite like you have.........Manowar - I thought the title track was good and that's about it.    Magnum on the whole I think are over rated (and barely hard rock much of the time) but I do really like a song or three off a number of their albums with the biggest numbers being around OASTN, Vigilante and Wings Of Heaven. So they might do better in that timeframe. Much of their latter day output especially I find a snooze.   I will be re-listening to all their stuff along the way to be sure but Chase The Dragon was just rated as decent -high 60's- with a few very good(but no real standout) tracks for me.  Faves were The Spirit, Sacred Hour and The Teacher,.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 01:05:41 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Also, not the right genre, but a shout out MUST go to Thriller. 
:billiejean:

Definitely - EVH played on it  :tup   ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Fair enough Brent. Magnum were very English and I struggled with them pre Storyteller's tbh. I've grown to love CTD, and especially the remaster with one of their best songs, Back To Earth on it. How this was left off the original is beyond me. All the songs on here are far better live, but Soldier Of The Line, sacred Hour, The Spirit, The Lights Burned Out, On The Edge Of The World - great songs, they do struggle a bit to escape from the dull production/mix.

And with ManOwaR I prefer the epics - Dark Avenger (I have great memories of air guitaring to this in a rock club in Manchester with a young   lady half my age... :heart), and Battle Hymn. Eric Adams has a fantastic voice.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Fair enough Brent. Magnum were very English and I struggled with them pre Storyteller's tbh. I've grown to love CTD, and especially the remaster with one of their best songs, Back To Earth on it. How this was left off the original is beyond me. All the songs on here are far better live, but Soldier Of The Line, sacred Hour, The Spirit, The Lights Burned Out, On The Edge Of The World - great songs, they do struggle a bit to escape from the dull production/mix.

And with ManOwaR I prefer the epics - Dark Avenger (I have great memories of air guitaring to this in a rock club in Manchester with a young   lady half my age... :heart), and Battle Hymn. Eric Adams has a fantastic voice.

My listen did have Back To Earth (live) on it and I did like that too. 

I agree re Eric Adams but they rarely nail it with the music for me, especially with the early albums (which seems to be considered their best stuff by the fans)   It doesn't seem to be that highly rated but for mine Kings Of Metal is the one album where they nailed it , even allowing for the usual overdose on cheese.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

My listen did have Back To Earth (live) on it and I did like that too. 

I agree re Eric Adams but they rarely nail it with the music for me, especially with the early albums (which seems to be considered their best stuff by the fans)   It doesn't seem to be that highly rated but for mine Kings Of Metal is the one album where they nailed it , even allowing for the usual overdose on cheese.

Good album but I started to lose interest after that one. Short albums with some filler. Hmm, sounds like another band we've been talking about?  :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
but again another VH album I'm not particularly fond of (aside from Dancin' in the Street and Pretty Woman, it's a lost cause),
Um..Dancin' In The Street and Pretty Woman make this a lost cause! ;D

No honorable mention for Never Surrender?
I like Never Surrender. When The Lights Go Down  :metal

Only Im A Legend Tonite and Nowhere To Run were worth it out of the new songs on Killers.
Good tunes!

Plus I would give a nod to a lesser known band from Canada, Coney Hatch. Very underrated hard rock band, they should have been much bigger.
I'll give them a nod, but that's about it. I bought their debut because they were opening for Maiden the following year and I wanted to familiarize myself with them. Their debut is not really that great if I'm being honest.
But good call on The Eagle Has Landed! :tup

My Top 10 would be:
1. Iron Maiden- The Number Of The Beast
2. Gary Moore- Corridors Of Power
3. Judas Priest- Screaming For Vengeance
4. UFO- Mechanix
5. Y&T -Black Tiger
6. Michael Schenker-Assault Attack
7. Aerosmith-Rock In A Hard Place
8. Scorpions- Blackout
9. Rainbow- Straight Between The Eyes
10. Riot- Restless Breed

* Two albums just missing my list are Restless And Wild and Creatures.

* I actually bought the Hughes/Thrall album back then, and it was just OK. Probably better than Whitford/St. Holmes though.

* I had the Mama's Boys album too. Bought it on Import. Listened to it quite a bit. 

* And even though Diver Down is easily the weakest of the Original Six, I played the shit out of it when it came out.

* Loved Krokus too.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Good list TAC - although I thought the Riot was pretty average.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Good list TAC - although I thought the Riot was pretty average.

Yes, I agree. It was my first exposure to them and the first one I bought. It would be a considerable step down from Fire Down Under and Narita. Born In America would be much better. But at the time, I really enjoyed it. Lotsa good albums there though. Could easily switch places with Krokus, Accept, or even Kiss.
But the list basically being my favorites, it was an important album for me.

And I still love Rock In A Hard Place.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Fuck yeah, I just listened to Corridors of Power the other week, it's incredible.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Fuck yeah, I just listened to Corridors of Power the other week, it's incredible.

It really is. If anyone reading this thread does not have it, they need to get it ASAP!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

It really is. If anyone reading this thread does not have it, they need to get it ASAP!

Absolutely.  I'm expecting Run For Cover to get a mention.  Gary's whole 80's run is just amazing rock all round.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I know I'm likely in the minority here, but I can't stand Aerosmith. Like zero from them

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I know I'm likely in the minority here, but I can't stand Aerosmith. Like zero from them
Really? as in ZERO??
There's a lot not to like, but just about evrything up through (and including) Done With Mirrors is pretty solid.
I'm surprised to hear this.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I definitely am with you.  Everything I've heard from them I haven't liked at all, but saying that, I haven't checked out much o their work at all.  How does their hits compare to other work?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I definitely am with you.  Everything I've heard from them I haven't liked at all, but saying that, I haven't checked out much o their work at all.  How does their hits compare to other work?

If someone doesn't already like Aerosmith, I don't know how I would convince them otherwise. Steven Tyler is basically a charicature of himself, and Joe Perry looks ridiculous trying to look cool, but classic (70's) Aerosmith is really good straight up rock. I think their 2nd album (74's Get Your Wings) and their 4th album (76's Rocks) are hard rock essentials. Toys In The Attic is widely considered one of their best, but for me, I don't really agree. I'll take the other two.
But my favorite Aerosmith album is 79's Night In The Ruts. Made during a pretty drugged up time, it is easily their heaviest album. Most people consider it one of their worst albums, but I love it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
You're right, I doubt I'll ever like them, but I might have a listen to those couple of earlier ones.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Two awesome tunes from Night In The Ruts:

Bone To Bone (Coney Island White Fish Boy)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29jeUXj8g0Y

Think About It
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=our2czoz5IU
Has an absolutely smoking guitar solo section.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, those songs were cool enough, but not enough for me to get into them.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah, those songs were cool enough, but not enough for me to get into them.

That's cool.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Aerosmith on drugs = awesomeness

Aerosmith off drugs = just ok.

Pump is the best of the latter albums but the early years were magical.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll give them some credit, their rollar coaster is awesome though

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I'll give them some credit, their rollar coaster is awesome though

:tup :tup  The two albums after Permanent Vacation (Pump, and Get a Grip) were pretty excellent - the ballads notwithstanding.  I only know the early stuff through Pandora's Box.  Been a while since I pulled that out.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Pump was actually pretty good. Much heavier than Permanent Vacation.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Absolutely.  I'm expecting Run For Cover to get a mention.  Gary's whole 80's run is just amazing rock all round.

I followed Gary Moore through the 80's very closely. His best stuff was early on. I love the whole run of Corridors/Dirty Fingers/ Rockin' Every Night-Live In Japan. Victims was good enough.
I was actually disappointed with Run For Cover. There's some filler, and as awesome as Glen Hughes was, particularly on All Messed Up, I would just prefer to hear Gary sing it. Still Out In The Fields and Military Man make it a winner.
Also, though it has aged well, I wasn't in love with Wild Frontier when it came out, but was very happy with After The War.

I just did my 1983 Top 10. Lots of great albums being left out and will have to settle as Honorable Mentions. Actually I have a 10 way tie for #10! ;D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 07:43:55 AM by TAC »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I am...okay with these lists.  :biggrin:

If it was me, I would definitely have to include Blackout.  To me, that is one of the great all time rock albums.  No One Like You and the title track are pure Scorpions classics (and general hard rock classics, for that matter).  And the album follows up those two monster songs with a bunch of pretty strong "second tier" songs that are pretty great too in Can't Live Without You, You Give Me All I Need, Dynamite, When the Smoke Is Going Down, and the often-overlooked but pretty awesome deep cut China White.  Honestly, the only songs I would consider filler on this album (and can't even really remember how they go) are Now! and Arizona.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

If it was me, I would definitely have to include Blackout.  To me, that is one of the great all time rock albums.  No One Like You and the title track are pure Scorpions classics (and general hard rock classics, for that matter).

And there you have the only two tracks on the album that I return to regularly. Can't Live Without You is also pretty good.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I am...okay with these lists.  :biggrin:

If it was me, I would definitely have to include Blackout.  To me, that is one of the great all time rock albums.  No One Like You and the title track are pure Scorpions classics (and general hard rock classics, for that matter).  And the album follows up those two monster songs with a bunch of pretty strong "second tier" songs that are pretty great too in Can't Live Without You, You Give Me All I Need, Dynamite, When the Smoke Is Going Down, and the often-overlooked but pretty awesome deep cut China White.  Honestly, the only songs I would consider filler on this album (and can't even really remember how they go) are Now! and Arizona.
China White is awesome. Such a sinister riff! The only song I don't care for off of Blackout is Arizona.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Probably my favorite song on the album after the big two.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
Yeah I'd probably have Blackout in there. Diver Down is probably the least fav of the classic Dave era VH but it definitely would be in my top 10 too.

Offline Lowdz

I can't stand their 70s output and only really like Permanent Vacation, Pump and parts of Get A Grip.

Offline Lowdz

Gary Moore was a big favourite of mine and I saw him live countless times. I was a big fan from CoP onwards but I was disappointed with After The War. A coouple of decent tracks but the title track was an attempt to write out In The Fields again and there was alot of filler.Enjoyed the blues albums but it got old very fast after the first 2.

Blackout is a pretty good album but I'm really a greatest hits/ live album fan when it comes to Scorpions. Savage Amusement and Crazy World were really good though.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Gary Moore was a big favourite of mine and I saw him live countless times. I was a big fan from CoP onwards but I was disappointed with After The War. A coouple of decent tracks but the title track was an attempt to write out In The Fields again and there was alot of filler.Enjoyed the blues albums but it got old very fast after the first 2.

Blackout is a pretty good album but I'm really a greatest hits/ live album fan when it comes to Scorpions. Savage Amusement and Crazy World were really good though.

Agree with every word (except I never saw Gary live   :'(  )

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I think I'm the exact opposite from you guys sometimes. I thought After The War was great as it was rocking after the relatively soft Wild Frontier.

Savage Amusement and Crazy World are decent enough, but the run Taken By Force through Love At First Sting (minus An Mag) is pretty strong.