Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896705 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Also conspicuously absent from any mention is Scorpions Animal Magnetism. I was thinking it was an 81 album, but it's actually an 80 album. It's easily their weakest of their classic albums.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Also conspicuously absent from any mention is Scorpions Animal Magnetism. I was thinking it was an 81 album, but it's actually an 80 album. It's easily their weakest of their classic albums.

Aside from The Zoo there's very little I like on that album - wouldn't have made the cut for an HM.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Aside from The Zoo there's very little I like on that album - wouldn't have made the cut for an HM.

I agree. Such a step down from Lovedrive, and I KNOW Blackout is making the Top 10 of 1982! ;)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The Scorps are an inconsistent band to me. Lots of great tunes, but duds to go along with them

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
The Scorps are an inconsistent band to me. Lots of great tunes, but duds to go along with them

I agree............I tend to find some of their modern albums more consistent.  Humanity : Hour 1 is a bit of a gem.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I agree............I tend to find some of their modern albums more consistent.  Humanity : Hour 1 is a bit of a gem.
You do?? Humanity is the only decent thing they've released since Crazy World.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
"Some" was one or two  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

A pretty good year. I can't disagree with many of the albums listed, although I've never heard of Viva and I wasn't a fan of early Accept or Tygers Of Pantang.

Diary is my favourite Ozzy album and I love The Elder, Point Of Entry and Earthshaker.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Breaker was pretty good, but it was recorded pretty poorly. Would love to hear a modern rerecording of it. There are some great songs on it.

Offline Lowdz

Breaker was pretty good, but it was recorded pretty poorly. Would love to hear a modern rerecording of it. There are some great songs on it.

I would need it without Udo on it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I just searched for something hilarious you once used to describe Udo but it seems to have been edited out Paul  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Bosk, Lowdz needs an avatar change to this guy:

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't think UDO will ever be described as an amazing singer, but his voice fit Accept perfectly.

Breaker is an excellent disc and the opening three tracks are killer!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
UDO is the man, love him.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Should have 1982 up late tomorrow.........
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 10:25:39 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Should have 1982 up late tomorrow.........

Looking forward to it. A big step down from 1981, but some real good, and a couple great releases.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So after hearing the first two tracks from the new AC/DC album, I am planning on picking this up. Standard AC/DC. The title tracks sounds like it could've come off Flick Of The Switch.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I love Y&T and Dave Meniketti but I have the same issue with them when it comes to ALBUM lists as I often do with Dio but even more so.

If I was to list my Top 100 bands Y&T would be higher than many in this list .   If I were to list my Top 500 rock songs Y&T would feature more than many in this list.  The trouble is that this list is about whole albums and I can't think of a band I like as much that has the amount of filler on their classic albums as Y&T do. 

You know, I actually cannot fault this reasoning one bit.  That's completely fair.  Personally, I think Earthshaker is easily the strongest of their early albums in that regard, but I still cannot strongly disagree with you in general.  I will say, however, that IMO that was true of most of the bands of that era for me.  Seems like most bands would put out albums where 1/3 to 1/2 of the songs were really solid, and the rest would feel like filler.  Oh well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I love Y&T and Dave Meniketti but I have the same issue with them when it comes to ALBUM lists as I often do with Dio but even more so.

If I was to list my Top 100 bands Y&T would be higher than many in this list .   If I were to list my Top 500 rock songs Y&T would feature more than many in this list.  The trouble is that this list is about whole albums and I can't think of a band I like as much that has the amount of filler on their classic albums as Y&T do. 

You know, I actually cannot fault this reasoning one bit.  That's completely fair.  Personally, I think Earthshaker is easily the strongest of their early albums in that regard, but I still cannot strongly disagree with you in general.  I will say, however, that IMO that was true of most of the bands of that era for me.  Seems like most bands would put out albums where 1/3 to 1/2 of the songs were really solid, and the rest would feel like filler.  Oh well.
I don't think that ratio is specific to just that era (for all bands).

Bosk, I find both Black Tiger and Mean Streak better. My issue with Y&T isn't the filler, but the juvenileness of the filler.

Oh, and that's what I love about The Best Of Y&T '81-'85. They actually choose the best songs. Ecxept for the glaring ommission of Lonely Side Of Town.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 01:59:03 PM by TAC »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I think the filler issue is far worse now with bands feeling the need to fill out 70+ minutes whether they have the quality songs or not.  I much preferred an old tape with 20 minutes of quality on each side.   Sure it wasn't always like that but in my experience it happened a lot more often before CDs arrived.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I think the filler issue is far worse now with bands feeling the need to fill out 70+ minutes whether they have the quality songs or not.  I much preferred an old tape with 20 minutes of quality on each side.   Sure it wasn't always like that but in my experience it happened a lot more often before CDs arrived.

I know you're a big Van Halen fan, but once you removed the filler from their albums, you are left with about 20 minutes worth of awesome music! :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Wash your mouth out .......

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
My issue with Y&T isn't the filler, but the juvenileness of the filler.

Normally, I couldn't fault you this one either...except when comparing them to a lot of the other bands we are discussing.  I mean...Van Halen?  Sammy?  Scorpions?  I think that criticism applies across the board, don't you?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
My issue with Y&T isn't the filler, but the juvenileness of the filler.

Normally, I couldn't fault you this one either...except when comparing them to a lot of the other bands we are discussing.  I mean...Van Halen?  Sammy?  Scorpions?  I think that criticism applies across the board, don't you?

True, but for some reason Y&T was able to achive such heights on so many songs.  I would think that they were hitting another level and then bam, they cut their legs out from underneath themselves.  This is what I love about Mean Streak.
Scorpions is a good comparison too.

Offline Lowdz

I just searched for something hilarious you once used to describe Udo but it seems to have been edited out Paul  :lol

Something to do with him sounding like a big drunk camp German bloke?  :biggrin:
Ruined a potentially great band for me. Far better now even though the new guy sounds quite similar.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Something to do with him sounding like a big drunk camp German bloke?  :biggrin:
Ruined a potentially great band for me. Far better now even though the new guy sounds quite similar.

That's too bad. They were (are) a great band. Too bad you can't enjoy them. I have a similar issue with King Diamond.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

That's the one.  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

I don't think that ratio is specific to just that era (for all bands).

Bosk, I find both Black Tiger and Mean Streak better. My issue with Y&T isn't the filler, but the juvenileness of the filler.

Oh, and that's what I love about The Best Of Y&T '81-'85. They actually choose the best songs. Ecxept for the glaring ommission of Lonely Side Of Town.

Lonely Side of Town is an outstanding song

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yes it is, and it's my only beef with an otherwise great Best Of CD.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
So....1982 -  I'll keep the format as for 1981 as that seemed to work okay.  I should point out that for each year there's probably another 15 or 20 albums that I'm checking out in addition to those mentioned in the posts.  All the ones I mention have met the criteria for at least an HM .   I'm making sure to check out a whole heap of extra albums that are widely recognised as classics/underground classics (which I either don't like /own ) just to make sure they are in fact shithouse  ;D  In 1982 that included albums by bands like Venom,Witchfinder General,Anvil,Hanoi Rocks,Sammy Hagar, Manowar , Trance, Rose Tattoo and Riot.  There are of course a few good albums that just miss the 75% rating cut off for an honourable mention **

I need to make sure I have all my bases covered with such a knowledgeable audience  ;)

**I'm sorry to say TAC that Scorpions: Breakout was one of those - like jj said I just find most of their albums to have a fair dose of filler.  Bosk1 , on the other hand , will be pleased to see Y&T made the cut on this occasion with an album that I find much more consistent than Earthshaker.

I should also give a nod to KISS: Killers.  I haven't placed that album here but I did mention it in my Top 50.  It is quite possibly the most important album ever for me - it was my first album of any kind and all I listened to from 1982 -1984 (7-9 yo) .  It's a "best of "compilation with 4 extra tracks exclusive to that album and was only released in Australia, Europe and Japan. The extra tracks include a couple of my all time faves.  So all things being equal it should probably be number one on this list , but I decided in this instance to exclude it .

1982 was quite a strong year at the top of the list but outside of that ..........not so good.   There were a few notable moments in rock/metal history - we had KISS don the makeup for the last time in their classic era and perhaps THE moment was the arrival of Bruce Dickinson in Iron Maiden.  Aerosmith recorded their only Perry-less album and surprised with what may well be their hardest rocking effort ever - perhaps their last hard rocking album period.

In terms of music that has played a big part in my life the biggest moment of 1982 was the tragic death of Randy Rhoads.   I wasn't aware of Ozzy or Randy in 1982 but after I became a fan aged 12 in 1986 I quickly worked my way back and became a big fan.  It is speculated that Randy would've left Ozzy soon after anyway and in some ways that's ideal because I am a huge Jake E Lee fan too and would've loved the chance to see what Randy did independently.   Anyway..........I have included Speak Of The Devil in the list below which is one of very few live albums in my collection (less than a dozen).  I'm sure all you guys know it - the tour that followed Randy's death with Brad Gillis , Rudy Sarzo and Tommy Aldridge.  It was my first introduction to the music of Black Sabbath and has some cool rocked up versions of Sabbath classics.  I've also just ordered the DVD (released officially not so long ago) which captures the same tour but , unlike the CD, focuses almost exclusively on the songs from Blizzard and Diary.

Before any old maidens get into me about the position of The Number Of The Beast being too low I'll address that.   I've never been a big time Maiden fan and anyone who knows me would be surprised to see them mentioned in any Top 10 list of mine.   I enjoy their absolute best songs when I hear them but I had never actually bought an Iron Maiden album until recently.  So it's a big nod from me to have the album in the Top 10 at all -  almost like TAC listing Winger's Pull album because he just has to admit it's pretty damn good  ;D  Of course it doesn't hurt that a number of their best songs are on this album and so I've given it the kudos I think it deserves and a little bit of a boost above what I would rate it normally due to it's importance to metal in general.

Van Halen's Diver Down may also be controversial (rated too high).  I think in the context of an album that was written and recorded in no time flat after Warners demanded an album pronto to back the unexpected success of (Oh)Pretty Woman it's a pretty fine effort.  Sure it's half covers and short interludes but the new songs (Hang Em High, Secrets, Little Guitars, The Full Bug) are up there with much of the rest of their catalogue.  I'm a sucker for any classic VH unless it's dire and I don't think Diver Down is as bad as many make out.

Aside from those two , I struggle to see too much that's controversial.  Could be wrong though  :D  It goes without saying that Paul will be sick at the mention of Glenn Hughes...........but he'll recover  :D

TOP 10 ALBUMS OF 1982

1.Gary Moore: Corridors of Power
2. KISS : Creatures of the Night
3. Judas Priest; Screaming For Vengeance
4. Van Halen : Diver Down
5. Ozzy Osborne: Speak Of The Devil (live)
6. Whitesnake: Saints and Sinners
7. Iron Maiden : The Number of the Beast
8 Hughes/Thrall:  Hughes/Thrall
9 Y&T : Black Tiger
10. Michael Schenker Group: Assault Attack

MADE THE SQUAD BUT NOT THE TEAM
Mama's Boys: Plug It In
Vandenberg: Vandenberg 
Krokus: One Vice At A Time
Aerosmith: Rock In A Hard Place
Rainbow: Straight between The Eyes
Twisted Sister: Under The Blade
Accept: Restless and Wild
Frank Marino: Juggernaut

Over to you guys...........

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
:tup No omissions that I can think of (in the genre, that is), but not the most exciting year for me for hard rock/metal.

Creatures is great, as is TNOTB, but again another VH album I'm not particularly fond of (aside from Dancin' in the Street and Pretty Woman, it's a lost cause), and only an average early Whitesnake album. Screaming for Vengeance is cool from what I remember, but I haven't gotten much into Priest.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks Blob and fair enough re Diver Down.  You're with the majority in not rating it.

From here the pace will slow a bit.   I'll be rating and listening just as hard but from mid 80's to early 90's the number of candidates is going to go ballistic .  I'll also likely need to increase the rating floor for an HM to 80% and then 85% or 90% later just to keep the list manageable.  Rest assured that I'll be covering just about anything that makes noise but the number I mention in the thread as a % of the good albums will inevitably fall.   There was just a ridiculous amount of top notch material from say 1984 to 1992.

Thankfully the number of albums I have already rated properly will also increase from here.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 09:44:20 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
There was just a ridiculous amount of top notch material from say 1984 to 1992.

And that'll be the point where I can jump in the fray. My metal collection from the early 80s is woefully inadequate. Saints n Sinners and # of the Beast are all that I have from he above.  :blush
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
You have pretty much everything covered there Brent. I would definetely say that Creatures is my favorite release by far from Kiss. It's cool that you like Killers too; I find out of the 1000 best of releases from Kiss, that Killers is the best of them. The four new tracks on that release make it standout.

Priest and Maiden rule and I have no problem with Diver Down. Lots of people do and it probably pertains to the album having joke songs, interludes and covers; and being very short. But like you, I really love the first 6 VH albums and still find DD enjoyable. With that being said, there is no question it's the worst of the six.

The only omissions that I would include are the live releases from Sabbath and Saxon; Live Evil and Eagle has Landed. And I'm sure the release may be controversial, but I would still need to include Signals. Subdivisions is such an awesome song. Plus I would give a nod to a lesser known band from Canada, Coney Hatch. Very underrated hard rock band, they should have been much bigger.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks jj - I'll check out the debut Coney Hatch.   I have Friction (1985) and rate that quite highly

www.theguitardojo.com.au