Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896552 times)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth

Cool idea for sure. Will definitely follow. Maybe (but that is a big maybe) I will someday even do my own list/band.

Cool - I've noticed your quality taste in music   ;)

Just wait till I criticize your lists. I seem to like the same bands as others but more often than not I have different favorite albums and songs than others.  ;D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I seem to like the same bands as others but more often than not I have different favorite albums and songs than others.  ;D

I know someone like that  :D 

Just wait till I criticize your lists.

Try not to be too "critical" -  I'm hoping it'll be more of a good hearted discussion rather than taking pot shots/ analytical dissections of others' lists
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Man, I just realised how the overall hard rock and classic metal scene is not my strongest area.  Everything unique to me compared to you guys is either melodic rock, power metal, or some form of death metal.

The only other band I could think of that I could do would be Mercyful Fate or King, if they even qualify for this thread.  :lol  Plenty of others I could do, but some of you blokes would know 'em better.

No need to be a fully fledged expert or "most knowledgable on DTF" .    I'll put you down for Maiden, King and Mercyful Fate .  That's heaps for now.   We're only looking to do a couple a month and I need to get through these years , which will take a little while.   Speaking of which..........
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Here goes..............

I should preface this by providing some context.  I was 5yo at the start of 1980 and so most of these bands I have worked my way back to.   There was really only one band in the world for me in 1980 and that was KISS.

The reason I started with 1980 is that I really don't tend to like much from the 70's - I would struggle to list 10 albums I like from most years in the 1970's.   I'm sorta stuck in the middle a bit - I was born in the 70's , but unlike a lot of you slightly older folks  ;) I didn't really grow up with any 70's bands aside from KISS.  So I have no attachment to these bands that comes with the "growing up" factor and really don't like most of the music as a fresh listener.

So 1980 is the first year that I really enjoy enough albums to make a list.  I have tried to place weighting on the influence of an album in general , as well as it's appeal to me. Hence the appearance of AC/DC who don't get much rotation time from me , but I can't deny the quality of Back In Black.   If I don't like a band at all though ,it ain't going to make it.  As an example Ace of Spades by Motorhead is a 1980 classic but Motorhead do nothing for me , so it didn't come under consideration. As we move along each year is going to get much more difficult as the potential candidates grow exponentially.

There were really only 15 albums or so that I considered here - thankfully most of them kick ass and positions 4-10 in particular are rated very closely and were hard to separate.  In the end it came down mostly to a ratio of classics: fillers and so some albums with some absolute classics but a few fillers suffered a bit. You can take it as gospel that any album that makes a Top 10 I rate very highly.

TOP 10 ALBUMS OF 1980

1. Ozzy Osbourne : Blizzard of Ozz
2. AC/DC : Back In Black
3. Van Halen : Women and Children First
4. Michael Schenker Group: Michael Schenker Group
5. KISS : Unmasked
6. Saxon : Strong Arm Of The Law
7. Judas Priest: British Steel
8. Black Sabbath : Heaven and Hell
9. Whitesnake: Ready An' Willing
10:Triumph: Progressions of Power

An honourable mention to Diamond Head : Lightning To The Nations (aka The White Album) which was very influential on many bands that followed (incl. the original Am I Evil) and also Thin Lizzy: Chinatown which has a few killers but too many fillers.

I won't elaborate in detail on each album in these lists as I want to keep the posts reasonably concise and leave the detail for any discussion .  Aside from perhaps KISS: Unmasked (which many consider pissweak) I'd be surprised if anyone disagrees strongly with any of these making the top 10.  Let's see..........over to you.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 06:51:35 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Unmasked..... Women and Children First.... Slow year, huh? :lol Love both bands, but both albums are among their very weakest.
Agree with Ozzy and AC/DC at least. Both killer. :tup The rest of the choices are good too, I'm just not as familiar with some of them.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Unmasked..... Women and Children First.... Slow year, huh? :lol Love both bands, but both albums are among their very weakest.
Agree with Ozzy and AC/DC at least. Both killer. :tup The rest of the choices are good too, I'm just not as familiar with some of them.

I don't rate Unmasked as near KISS's best but on the other hand I don't think it's as bad as a lot make out. 

As far as Women and Children First.......well you know how much I love VH.   If it didn't make No 1 there's a damn good reason  ;D   I think on that album they went a bit too far to the humour side and the music suffered.  But hey - it's still VH and still a good album.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
VH are my #2 favourite band, and I love the vast majority of what they've done, but I don't listen to a thing from WACF. It's the filler sandwiched inbetween two great albums. The only thing even listenable is Cradle, and even that is very average. The rest is just too silly and phoned in. Loss of Control has to be one of the most offensively bad songs of that VH period.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Hard to argue with that list.  Omissions (though not exactly glaring)

Zenyatta Mondatta
The River
The Game
Duke

Though, those don't really fit the 'hard rock/classic metal' criteria.

Pat Benatar/Crimes of Passion might.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Zenyatta Mondatta
The River
The Game
Duke

Right - I don't consider any of them hard rock and most barely even rock  ;D   I've never really been into any of those bands in a huge way either.  I did consider Queen's album but decided it wasn't hard rock.   Even Whitesnake only just scraped in .

I'm taking care to remove my "AOR hat" for this exercise and it's not all that hard as I find my tastes are getting heavier by the day.    But still............when I start to think 1981 it'll be hard to go past Journey: Escape and Foreigner: 4 but I'm going to  :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Iron Maiden, Rush, and Def Leppard would have been mentioned on my list.

Solid list overall, that Kiss album is a controversial one for sure. I enjoy it  but I can see how some people despise it; especially when it came out.

Heaven & Hell would top my list. British Steel and Saxon wouldn't be too far behind.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Def Leppard were close .........I'm not huge into Iron Maiden but they might make an appearance later given that I'm allowing some weighting for influence on others.........and Rush.....I'll keep my opinions to myself as I'm totally out voted  ;D   

Do you consider Rush hard rock or classic metal??   Genres drive me bonkers but if I had to I'd class them as prog rock.  I don't find them heavy at all, especially in the vocal department.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Zenyatta Mondatta
The River
The Game
Duke

No they don't. Get that shit out of here! :)

That is actually a good call. Creat album.

Solid list overall, that Kiss album is a controversial one for sure. I enjoy it  but I can see how some people despise it; especially when it came out.

Heaven & Hell would top my list. 
Agree with this all.

Here goes..............
TOP 10 ALBUMS OF 1980

I don't even have Progressions of Power! :lol
WACF isn't bad. I love In A Simple Ryhme.

My list would definitely include:
Iron Maiden-s/t
Def Leppard-On Through The Night
UFO-No Place To Run
Thin Lizzy-Chinatown
Rush-Permanent Waves

And B, you cannot put Kiss on this list and leave out Ace Of Spades. You just can't.

Still 1980 belongs to Blizzard Of Ozz, Back In Black, and Heaven And Hell.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
At the time, Rush (and Permanent Waves being the changing point) started more in a hard rock direction.  That album is arguably as heavy as some of the others on the list (PoP, MSG).
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
At the time, Rush (and Permanent Waves being the changing point) started more in a hard rock direction.  That album is arguably as heavy as some of the others on the list (PoP, MSG).
I agree. Permanent Waves belongs! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Shit  - 1981's going to be much tougher......... :-\

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Yes, as I posted above, it was a GREAT year.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I agree with Brent in that genres and classifications can drive you bonkers. And the rock genre is the worst. Is this band considered hard rock, metal, power rock, power metal, prog rock?? It can drive you nuts

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
No beef with the list.  I would have definitely included Dep Lep and Sabbath if it were me.  Queen and Journey...I would probably cheat and squeeze them in as well, even though they probably do not qualify.  That Queen album was the first album I ever bought, and it holds a special place in my heart.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
No beef with the list.  I would have definitely included Dep Lep and Sabbath if it were me.  Queen and Journey...I would probably cheat and squeeze them in as well, even though they probably do not qualify.  That Queen album was the first album I ever bought, and it holds a special place in my heart.
That would be The Game right? that's a good album.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Yeah.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Yes, as I posted above, it was a GREAT year.

Allied Forces better make the cut.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I would have definitely included Dep Lep and Sabbath if it were me.

Sabbath was there - just a bit low according to most.  I have the same issue with most Dio albums I own.   I love the guy's voice but I generally find there's maybe 3 songs I'd rate 11 out of 10 and another 3 or 4 that I rate as filler. Makes them hard albums to rate right at the top of a high quality list , even though the highs are godly.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 08:15:36 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
once were done with years, bands, etc I would love to see everyone's top 10 riffs lists.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
once were done with years, bands, etc I would love to see everyone's top 10 riffs lists.

Noted . Now that would be hard.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Noted . Now that would be hard.
Very!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
The thing about 1980 for me is that it is the year I first really started to notice music on my own and start to develop my own musical tastes and preferences.  Prior to that, like most kids, I just listened to whatever my parents were listening to.  From this point onward, even when my listening followed along with what my parents were listening to (which was natural, since it was still what I was exposed to the most and what was most accessible), I began to identify with the music because I liked it as opposed to identifying with it simply because it was on my parents' radio.  So, needless to say, 1980 is an EXCELLENT year to start this off, from my perspective.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The thing about 1980 for me is that it is the year I first really started to notice music on my own and start to develop my own musical tastes and preferences.  Prior to that, like most kids, I just listened to whatever my parents were listening to.  From this point onward, even when my listening followed along with what my parents were listening to (which was natural, since it was still what I was exposed to the most and what was most accessible), I began to identify with the music because I liked it as opposed to identifying with it simply because it was on my parents' radio.  So, needless to say, 1980 is an EXCELLENT year to start this off, from my perspective.

Yeah, same for me. I probably became aware of my own tastes in 1979, but certainly by 1980. I already was into Kiss by then though.

Offline Lowdz

1980 was my first year into music really. I'm not a huge VH fan. So much filler on every album, and short albums too.
Unmasked is a huge favourite of mine. Quality songwriting,  could just have done with being produced a bit more rocking.
Not a big fan of Queen's The Game. The beginning of the end until Innuendo for me.
Can't fault most of the list there Brent but I would add Gillan's excellent Glory Road and UFO's No Place To Run.

Saxon's Wheels Of Steel and Strong Arm of The Law - 2 excellent albums in the same year. British Steel too. All these got lots of airplay with me.
I was a Motorhead fan in the early days - let's face it at the time there wasn't much competition.

ooh, Krokus' Metal Rendez-vous too. Not played that in an age. Going to rectify that now.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 01:29:27 PM by Lowdz »

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Try not to be too "critical" -  I'm hoping it'll be more of a good hearted discussion rather than taking pot shots/ analytical dissections of others' lists

No, it will all be in good fun.

Like many others I grew up in the 80s, born in 1970 I spent all my teenage years in the 80s with everything that goes with growing up  :hat And I discovered music, a lot of music.

Your list is pretty solid. Can't argue with Ozzy and AC/DC.
Huge Van Halen fan, but Women & Children isn't really that good. Cradle, Whiskey and Simple Rhyme are good and I even like Could This Be Magic, but the rest, sadly, is filler material. But this was the first VH vinyl I bought. The other VH records I had only on tape, recorded by a friend. The vinyl came with a large "DLR in tight pants in some sleazy pose" poster, I think this was more for the girls. I'd rather have a EVH poster, because he was (and is) on of my absolute guitar heroes.
Ready an' Willing is my favorite blues-rock-era Whitesnake record. So many good song with Ain't Gonna Cry No More being one of my favorite Whitesnake tunes ever.
I never really got into Saxon and Kiss so I can't really comment there. I would have added Motörhead and maybe Def Leppard.
And Triumph is a band where I heard the name but don't recall ever hearing any music. They were completely under my radar and I think they weren't that big in Germany.

Let's see what 1981 brings.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Strange, but I guess it's clear to me now that I didn't get into the early 80s hard rock/heavy metal stuff, as I only own Back in Black, Strong Arm of the Law (just recently thanks to TAC) and Progressions of Power.  Only know the 'hits' from all the other albums there.

Gonna listen to those albums, but in doing a favor for those of you that might participate in my upcoming roulette (you'll understand why when I start it), I'll refrain from listening to those that I don't know.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

Strange, but I guess it's clear to me now that I didn't get into the early 80s hard rock/heavy metal stuff, as I only own Back in Black, Strong Arm of the Law (just recently thanks to TAC) and Progressions of Power.  Only know the 'hits' from all the other albums there.

Gonna listen to those albums, but in doing a favor for those of you that might participate in my upcoming roulette (you'll understand why when I start it), I'll refrain from listening to those that I don't know.

You don't own Heaven and Hell? Whoa, that's unexpected.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It was a great time in music.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Chad, you need to check Heaven and Hell pronto.  It's essential in anyone's collection.

That's a good list Brent, although MSG was one band I always meant to check out.

My list would include Maiden, Priest, Thin Lizzy.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

My list would include Maiden, Priest, Thin Lizzy.

Priest was in there and Lizzy only just missed the cut.

Let's see what 1981 brings.

Confusion.............on what gem to listen to first  ;D   I'm just glad I don't have to include AOR classics too .   The contenders number around 25 (vs 15 for 1980) and I'm going to try and give most of them a partial listen before  finalising the list.  This is a bit of a can't win year......no way I'll keep everyone happy.   As with 1980 I'll try to apply some sort of weight to an album's influence on the world of music , along with what my faves are (which is still the main consideration).

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
You don't own Heaven and Hell? Whoa, that's unexpected.

Nope... in fact, Paranoid is the only Sabbath album I own.