Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896661 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
In fact, I'd say the Riot V is as good as Blind Rage.

I actually rated Riot a couple of points higher and didn't realise.   I thought I'd rated the Accept higher than I did.   Anyway - both really good albums.

Time for another little memory lane trip , an item of memorabilia to check out and I'll run an idea by you guys for a new addition to this thread.

First.........a magazine cover to check out - April 88.   (trivia : Hit Parader was started in 1942  :omg:  )

Wonder how long that lasted  ;D

And an interesting item from the bl5150 vaults .  These aren't too hard to find (perhaps less so when sealed like mine is) but it's one of my favourite bits of VH stuff.    It's a red vinyl promo sent out to radio stations for Van Halen's debut.  It features the tracks  "Runnin' With The Devil," "Eruption," "Ice Cream Man," "You Really Got Me" And "Jamie's Cryin."  and has an earlier band logo and Looney Tunes /Merrie Melodies markings from Warner.

This photo (obviously) isn't of my sealed copy.  Not sure what's going on with the big white spot in the middle on the bottom left , but anyway........best photo I could find to display what it looks like.

Next up.......... my brilliant idea  ::)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Next up.......... my brilliant idea  ::)

OK................I wanted to run this by you guys before I go ahead and do anything.  The last thing I want to do is rush off and do this and take the site to the point of overkill in terms of lists etc.......and just bore everyone to death.   

I had the idea while checking out one of the Discography threads the other day.  I think they're fantastic and appreciate all the hard work involved etc..... but to be successful/worth the trouble they really need to cover bands that have a large following on DTF.   Bands like Rush, Led Zep and Iron Maiden and the like are ideal candidates.

When I thought about whether I might like to do one in the future , it was pretty clear to me that the vast majority of bands I seriously like would really only be of interest to the half dozen or so diehards that follow this thread.  And so it really wouldn't generate much value for the time involved. And so I got to thinking about how we could do something in this thread that is far less time consuming for the author (and the reader!) while still  generating some good discussion.

I thought that each of us contributing some Top 10's lists to this thread could achieve that goal.   I'm prepared to do all of the organising and cover more than my fair share of the content .  I am hoping that some others will put up their hands to cover a few bands etc.......

The main focus for now is to come up with lists of the Top 10 Essential Tracks from various bands with the idea that the list should include songs that you consider "required listening" - effectively your own 10 track Best Of........ It's then opened up for discussion , others can respond with their own version if they like.......   If we ever exhaust that side of things then you could then move onto other Top 10 ideas.

The only requirement for bands mentioned in these lists is that they are generally considered hard rock or classic metal.   Prog metal is out for the most part as it's been done to death elsewhere, although I think bands like Queensryche and Crimson Glory have enough "classic metal" in them to be included.    Hair metal is all fine.  It's pretty clear that certain bands might need to be broken down into eras - for example Black Sabbath , Judas Priest (perhaps),  KISS (70's/80's),

I would aim for us to do 2 lists per month (1st and 15th of the month as a rough guide)  and set up a roster in the initial post with links to the relevant thread pages.

Potential Contributions:

For starters I'm happy to handle Van Halen, Ozzy, Savatage, KISS (70's/80's), WASP, Talisman, Malmsteen etc.......

No pressure on anyone but I thought some of the following might work well:

TAC:  Accept, Dio
wolfking:  Judas Priest (70's),  Black Sabbath (Dio years)
lowdz:  UFO , Dokken
jingle.boy:  Triumph , Tesla
JJ :  Primal Fear?/ Judas Priest (80's-)
and so on................

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me know what you guys think - if it's all too much and I'm wasting my time , then let me know and I'll drop it and no offence taken.  I thought it'd be a cool way to generate the sort of discussion we see in the Discog threads for the bands we like with a whole lot less work involved.

So do we push ahead with it or do I shut the hell up?  ;D

PS  While I'm getting the main idea organised I wouldn't mind running through the years (Top 10 albums of 19xx...........) from 1980 to 1995 to get us started.   I could do a year each few days over the next few weeks.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 01:07:10 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That's a great idea Brent! Similar to the Dio conversation at the beginning of this thread. We can pick a band and discuss for a week or so.
I'll battle Lowdz for UFO though! :)

Organize away bro!

This is what I posted in one of the Album Of The Year threads.
The one year that I could not live without is 1981.

UFO-The Wild The Willing And The Innocent
MIchael Schenker Group-MSG
Rush- Moving Pictures
Def Leppard-High n Dry
Thin Lizzy-Renegade

A great year, probably my favorite year for music all time. These 5 are all TAC Top 25's!

HM's
Riot- Fire Down Under
Ozzy Osbourne-Diary Of A Madman
Joe Perry Project- I've Got The Rock And Rolls Again
Van Halen- Fair Warning
Blackfoot-Marauder
Iron Maiden- Killers
Rainbow-Difficult To Cure
Black Sabbath-Mob Rules
Y&T-Earthshaker
Saxon-Denim And Leather
Ted Nugent-Intensities In Ten Cities
Triumph -Allied Forces

1981 FTW :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Okey dokey - thanks.  The TAC seal of approval is all I need  ;D

While I draft a more extensive list of bands we need to cover (for my future reference) I'll get onto 1980 in the next day or two.   I believe the MSG album you quoted was actually 1980 , although I'm no Schenker expert.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Okey dokey - thanks.  The TAC seal of approval is all I need  ;D

While I draft a more extensive list of bands we need to cover (for my future reference) I'll get onto 1980 in the next day or two.   I believe the MSG album you quoted was actually 1980 , although I'm no Schenker expert.
The first MSG album-"The Michael Schenker Group" was released in 1980. His second album "MSG" was indeed released in 1981. One of the most influential albums to my musical tastes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
That's why I'm no Schenker expert - bands called MSG, albums called MSG , Michael Schenker, McCauley Schenker ........ :facepalm:   ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I thought it'd be a cool way to generate the sort of discussion we see in the Discog threads for the bands we like with a whole lot less work involved.

This is can get into.  As for the entire post, tl;du (didn't understand).  Triumph is definitely mine for sure.  Not sure who else I'd consider myself close to an 'expert' on.  Harem?  Yeah (but not sure they fit the criteria you laid out).  Tesla?  Sorta (I have almost the entire discog).  Others that would fall into that category too would be White Lion, Whitesnake, Europe and Poison.

My only concern in participating is I got a lot on the go right now... wrapping up the Zep discussion, restarting the vocal showdowns, and hosting a roulette soon (which all you f'rs better be participating in), plus, ya know... real life shit.  :lol

We oughta recruit Bosk for Y&T.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I thought it'd be a cool way to generate the sort of discussion we see in the Discog threads for the bands we like with a whole lot less work involved.

This is can get into.  As for the entire post, tl;du (didn't understand).  Triumph is definitely mine for sure.  Not sure who else I'd consider myself close to an 'expert' on.  Harem?  Yeah (but not sure they fit the criteria you laid out).  Tesla?  Sorta (I have almost the entire discog).  Others that would fall into that category too would be White Lion, Whitesnake, Europe and Poison.

My only concern in participating is I got a lot on the go right now... wrapping up the Zep discussion, restarting the vocal showdowns, and hosting a roulette soon (which all you f'rs better be participating in), plus, ya know... real life shit.  :lol

We oughta recruit Bosk for Y&T.

No worries .................I'll keep things moving for a while and I knew you'd be busy for a while. I just wanted to establish if the concept was useful.    I see no issue with Harem Scarem here as post their first album I think much of their stuff is hard rock. 

Sorry if my post was confusing - didn't think it was that bad .  Although it is 5am here and I haven't slept so I have some excuse for talking shit.

You don't necessarily have to own every single album to participate here - most of the bands have albums that we made an informed decision NOT to own...........if I did Tesla it would comprise songs from only 3 or 4 albums.  And as for Queensryche  :rollin

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
It probably is pretty clear, I just skimmed through it.  Start it up, I'll follow along, and participate as best I can.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I'm not sure I completely understand the idea, but my Y&T alarm went off, so I felt compelled to come visit the thread.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
In simple terms we're just talking about me kickstarting the thread with Top 10 albums of 19xx (years)  , after which we will move onto bands , which is the original idea.................Top 10 Essential Tracks from XX band.   

I probably could've worded the original post better - and likely would've if I wasn't half asleep - but it's not that bad  :P

I'll try and tidy it up a bit.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 11:40:51 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Jingle.glam, Poison will not be discussed in this thread.

Offline Lowdz

Jingle.glam, Poison will not be discussed in this thread.

TAC can have UFO. I'm not a fan of enough of the discog. I'm sure I could sort something when the time comes.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I will be reporting that to the Admins and will have your username changed to Quietz.

Edit: Yeah, you better modify that post! ;D

Offline Lowdz

I will be reporting that to the Admins and will have your username changed to Quietz.

Edit: Yeah, you better modify that post! ;D

:biggrin:

I edited the post - people will not know what you're talking about  :biggrin:

It was Winger related  :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
FUCK YOU EVERYONE!! :rollin

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Bottom line, if there is a conversation about classic/hard rock and metal, I'm there.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Wow...so, um...very unfortunate and descriptive choice of username there, pal.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Wow...so, um...very unfortunate and descriptive choice of username there, pal.

If anyone wants to know why you are the Merciless Administrator, I have stories to tell.

I may have to take this to the US Head of Interwebz.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
TAC, er... Winger fan also gets Saxon.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I don't get shit until I get my name back!  :yarr

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Thank you!

:rollin

Offline Lowdz

I don't get shit until I get my name back!  :yarr

*best Spartacus voice* I'm #1 Winger fan!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
If anyone wants to know why you are the Merciless Administrator, I have stories to tell.

Wow... apparently that was a credible threat!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Wow... apparently that was a credible threat!

:lol

You damn right!

Never fuck with this guy!

Offline Lowdz

He was the heart of that show!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Offline Lowdz

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

For starters I'm happy to handle Van Halen, Ozzy, Savatage, KISS (70's/80's), WASP, Talisman, Malmsteen etc.......

No pressure on anyone but I thought some of the following might work well:

TAC:  Accept, Dio
wolfking:  Judas Priest (70's),  Black Sabbath (Dio years)
lowdz:  UFO , Dokken
jingle.boy:  Triumph , Tesla
JJ :  Primal Fear?/ Judas Priest (80's-)
and so on................

This is a good idea.  Trying to think, there's actually not many bands I could think of that I would be confident covering for the subject title compared to others.

I could definitely cover a lot of Brent's ones like Savatage, Wasp, Ozzy etc.  Sabbath I could do their whole career, but so could Jason probably.  Judas Priest I could do their whole career too.  Iron Maiden would be one I could do off the top of my head though.  I'd have to look through my collection and see who else I could do.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Cool Kade - we'll work out who does what and spread it around based on who's up for it at the time.   I'll float a few names and first in gets it .................if nobody bites then I suppose I get it  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
You can be the reserve poster for every single band ever!  :lol

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Cool idea for sure. Will definitely follow. Maybe (but that is a big maybe) I will someday even do my own list/band.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
You can be the reserve poster for every single band ever!  :lol

:hat

Cool idea for sure. Will definitely follow. Maybe (but that is a big maybe) I will someday even do my own list/band.

Cool - I've noticed your quality taste in music   ;)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Man, I just realised how the overall hard rock and classic metal scene is not my strongest area.  Everything unique to me compared to you guys is either melodic rock, power metal, or some form of death metal.

The only other band I could think of that I could do would be Mercyful Fate or King, if they even qualify for this thread.  :lol  Plenty of others I could do, but some of you blokes would know 'em better.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/level-10-featuring-russell-allen-mat-sinner-debut-album-chapter-one-due-in-january/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wp_cZvkrJT4

Sounds solid enough but nothing special.  Will definitely jump on it though.  The first song reminds me heavily of something from 1987.