Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 908923 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Be that happiest two weeks of Wolfking's life!

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Slays what? Cotton balls?

This songs makes Winger sound like Testament.

Growlie Tim, what have you done with real Tim? Bring him back to us 😀

I quite like the new Tim actually.

While why don't the two of you go cuddle or something.

Me, Brent, JJ, and Lowder will take our receding hairlines and proudly park ourselves in the cool fogey lounge while you two go make your ears bleed.

Fuck, I'm torn, my bald spot is pretty big now and things are pretty thin on top so I'm eligible for both I think.

If I recede any further I’ll have no hair on my arse either 😀

:rollin

Offline Heavy Metal Hippie

Disappointing month:

Red Dragon Cartel...Jake has the tone, the dirt, the singer, but where are the songs ?

Fifth Angel...good sound, nice drumming. It's alright, but boring.

Haken...too early to judge, but two times through, it's leaving me cold.

Nordic Walking Union thingy....yawn...not that the first was any better.

Perhaps I'm not in the mood for  kick ass heavy metal and should get back to some Winger. Peronally I'd welcome a new album. The last one Better Days Comin' is from 2014.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
The Fifth Angel record is interesting. You may not know, but Ed (rhythm guitars) is not on the record at all, and he wrote 95 percent of the songs from the first two. Ed is in the band, and in the video, but he was on hiatus while they wrote and recorded this. It is really missing some of the tonal qualities of his playing, and certainly the way he crafts riffs and chord progressions (which is much different than Kendall).

Solid record, more modern for sure. But I'm looking forward to the fourth record, with them completely together.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
On the new Fifth Angel, Kendall sounds like a combination of Dio and Ripper Owens. So for me, that’s a major win.

Everything I’m hearing on The Third Secret sounds great. It’s definitely heavier than their previous albums and hopefully this isn’t a one and done. A live album would be cool too

I’m liking it a lot.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Perhaps I'm not in the mood for  kick ass heavy metal and should get back to some Winger.

Woah woah woah dude. Let's not do anything hasty.

The Fifth Angel record is interesting. You may not know, but Ed (rhythm guitars) is not on the record at all, and he wrote 95 percent of the songs from the first two. Ed is in the band, and in the video, but he was on hiatus while they wrote and recorded this. It is really missing some of the tonal qualities of his playing, and certainly the way he crafts riffs and chord progressions (which is much different than Kendall).

I read this and I had to laugh. Poor guy waits 30 years to record the third album, and d'oh, he's on hiatus when it comes time to record.

(Of course, hopefully he wasn't ill...)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
On the new Fifth Angel, Kendall sounds like a combination of Dio and Ripper Owens. So for me, that’s a major win.

Everything I’m hearing on The Third Secret sounds great. It’s definitely heavier than their previous albums and hopefully this isn’t a one and done. A live album would be cool too

I’m liking it a lot.

I like it too, its just very different for them. It was always going to be modern. I have heard Ed's songs that he's built up over the years. A bit crunchier than these, and I assume some of those ideas will be resurrected for the next record. I love Kendall's voice too. Most folks don't know this, but if you get James Byrd's Crimes of Virtuosity album (Byrd was Fifth Angel's lead guitarist on the very first record), Kendall sings lead vocals on that album under the name Kendall Tory. So check it out, if you haven't already.

I read this and I had to laugh. Poor guy waits 30 years to record the third album, and d'oh, he's on hiatus when it comes time to record.

(Of course, hopefully he wasn't ill...)

He's fine. Personal stuff (and nothing crazy like rehab or anything like that). Just really bad timing. But they are all looking forward to having him writing/recording on the next one. The Third Secret is being very well received in Europe, so my guess is that is where they will concentrate their efforts. Makes sense. These guys aren't going to slug it out in the U.S. They'll probably play festivals and the occasional club gig in Seattle.

Overall, I'm really happy for them all. Been a long time, and a lot of start and stops. My hope is, on the fourth album, perhaps everyone in the Fifth Angel family (or as many as possible) can appear, including James Byrd. Hope so.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Checking the Fifth Angel now on Spotify. Four songs in and Holy Dio, Batman! WOW!!

EDIT: Just finished. Damn, that is....solid. ;D

Those vocals are ridiculous. Seriously, other than the drumming, this sounds like 80's Dio, which is  :metal in my book.

Album....PURCHASED!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 03:51:49 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Guess I need to revisit that one.  I think I tried the singles when they were released, but didn't take too much notice.  Guess I know what I'm listening to when I take the dogs for a walk in a few minutes.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
Try the title track. It is my favorite.

TAC,

Cool!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Many thanks for the encouragement gents... that was a fantastic listen.  Definitely purchase-worthy.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

Not had chance to listen yet but sounds like I need to. Don’t get this sort of consensus around here too often 😀

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Try the title track. It is my favorite.

Yes!!

TAC,

Cool!

Ya know, he really is! :D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Not had chance to listen yet but sounds like I need to. Don’t get this sort of consensus around here too often 😀

Rite?  I mean, you just posted The Astonishing in the 'what are ya listening to' thread.  Not sure if you felt you needed punishment for some wrongdoing or something?  That's the only reason I can see anyone needing to play that.

Offline Lowdz

Rite?  I mean, you just posted The Astonishing in the 'what are ya listening to' thread.  Not sure if you felt you needed punishment for some wrongdoing or something?  That's the only reason I can see anyone needing to play that.

I really like it. I tend to try to disregard the story because that was complete bollox.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Having another run through of the Fifth Angel.

This is a great album. Loving the lead guitar playing. Not saying it's Michael Schenker, but it had great sense and tone. Reminds me of early Vivian Campbell.

Oh, and an excuse to post my pic with Ken Mary!

November 17, 1987
Boston Garden

(a 19 y/o TAC)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I really like it. I tend to try to disregard the story because that was complete bollox.

I never pass up the opportunity to agree with Chad when it comes to the Astonishing.  The whole thing is abolute bollocks!  But still glad people enjoy it I guess.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Perhaps I'm not in the mood for  kick ass heavy metal and should get back to some Winger. Peronally I'd welcome a new album. The last one Better Days Comin' is from 2014.

Welcome Mr Hippie!  You are most welcome in this thread, enjoy your stay and please post anytime!

Offline Heavy Metal Hippie

You only want to exploit me against the Winger countermovement of this forum, right ?

Second time through the Fifth Angel was better. I didn't get the Dioesqueness (sp?). That perspective helped. It's heavy. It's cool, but I'm still missing a certain spark.

Talking about Dio: There was that Dream Child album. Released not too long ago featuring Craig Goldy, Simon Wright and Rudy Sarzo. They have a singer who comes very close to Dio. The songs of that album are not very good, but the guy can phrase and sound like Dio, it's unbelievable. What if Dio isn't dead and there is no hologram at all ?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni

Oh, and an excuse to post my pic with Ken Mary!

In this photo it looks like Ken recently had a biopsy on his prostate.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lowdz

Really enjoyed the Fifth Angel. That’s just how I like my metal.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Gonna check out this Fifth Angel to see what all the fuss is about.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

It's fussing awesome!! :lol :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

It's fussing awesome!! :lol :metal

I guess it doesn't help now that my expectations are really high.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Kade, to me it's like listening to 80's Dio. The vocals are ridiculous.

My only two complaints are:
1. The chorus is weak in the first song, and
2. Ends on a wimper. Last song is the worst song.

But the rest of it rules!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Kade, to me it's like listening to 80's Dio. The vocals are ridiculous.

My only two complaints are:
1. The chorus is weak in the first song, and
2. Ends on a wimper. Last song is the worst song.

But the rest of it rules!

Will check it tonight.

I haven't heard a single thing of this album too so will be going in fresh.  I didn't even check the songs released prior for some reason.

Just realised that this is the 10000th post for this thread
Quick celebration!!!

« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 05:36:15 AM by wolfking »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
 :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Wolf for the win!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Wait 'til we get to page 300!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Kade, this is the Hard Rock Thread. Not the Rock Hard Thread! :natalieportman:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Rock out with your cock out!!!

Offline Lowdz

Well Kip did pose for Playgirl I believe. 😜

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I know.  Rock Hard Ride Free brother.  Kip 4eva!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I know.  Rock Hard Ride Free brother.  Kip 4eva!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
 :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Nobody makes leather and whips look more cooler than Rob Halford  :metal