Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 901910 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I can't remember if you like Europe Kade but outside of Melbourne and Sydney the tour obviously isn't selling great.   You can now get tix for the Brisbane show (23rd may) at 60 bucks  (originally $97)

Perth is even more heavily discounted.  And all the WA people constantly bitch about why nobody plays there - finally Europe include WA and it gets no support.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Europe not selling in Australia? Something tells me there is a cheap joke to be made, but I can't think of one.  ;)
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I can't remember if you like Europe Kade but outside of Melbourne and Sydney the tour obviously isn't selling great.   You can now get tix for the Brisbane show (23rd may) at 60 bucks  (originally $97)

Perth is even more heavily discounted.  And all the WA people constantly bitch about why nobody plays there - finally Europe include WA and it gets no support.

Casual fan mate, not enough to go and see them though.  If it were a Saturday me and my partner would probably pay that.

This type of music just seems dead overall here.  I mean, I don't really know what I'm talking about as I don't go out like never though haha.  Maiden and the like always get good turnouts though but smaller bands even of the caliber of Europe and down just doesn't seem to get people interested.  I never come across anyone that likes this music.  Work is my main social network cause I'm there 12 hours a day 350 odd days of the year, but I've worked with a LOT of people over the last ten years and just never come across anyone that hasn't heard of any of the bands I listen to let alone be a fan of them. 

I've been thinking lately of getting back into the guitar and look at getting into a band again or something to see if I can meet anyone with my interests or be able to match it to do something worthwhile, even covers,  but just not sure if there is much out there for what I like around the area.  Perhaps I've just got my head in the sand though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Casual fan mate, not enough to go and see them though.  If it were a Saturday me and my partner would probably pay that.

This type of music just seems dead overall here.  I mean, I don't really know what I'm talking about as I don't go out like never though haha.  Maiden and the like always get good turnouts though but smaller bands even of the caliber of Europe and down just doesn't seem to get people interested.  I never come across anyone that likes this music.  Work is my main social network cause I'm there 12 hours a day 350 odd days of the year, but I've worked with a LOT of people over the last ten years and just never come across anyone that hasn't heard of any of the bands I listen to let alone be a fan of them. 

I've been thinking lately of getting back into the guitar and look at getting into a band again or something to see if I can meet anyone with my interests or be able to match it to do something worthwhile, even covers,  but just not sure if there is much out there for what I like around the area.  Perhaps I've just got my head in the sand though.

We're pretty similar mate.  I rarely get out aside from the odd gig - going to a club and listening to dance music is akin to waterboarding me  ;D

I am only semi-regularly in touch with 3 or 4 guys I went to school with and in all cases they are into hard rock or metal.   Subconsciously I may have culled all those who were into shit music.  Actually they were all assholes so maybe all the good guys listen to metal  :metal    Come to think of it pretty much everyone in my life likes metal except my missus .  Believe it or not my 77yo dad (another one of my converts) came over for dinner the other night and he pulls out his "list" of topics for discussion as usual and he says "  That new single from Angra is pretty good."  :lol

As far as metal being dead , not here - but I think Melbourne is a special case.   Out here in the deep outer suburbs you will still get 100+ people paying $25 to see a KISS covers band.     And I can tell you that on the day Def Leppard/Scoprions went on general sale that they'd pretty much sold out Rod Laver Arena (10,000-12000) within 15 minutes.

I would love nothing more than to have the time to get back into guitar but then actually finding other decent musos and a singer that want to play metal covers and then getting gigs etc.............that whole process would be nigh on impossible.   I still regret not doing that many years ago but unfortunately I was at my peak on the guitar in the early 90's and we know what that was like.    I had a choice out of quitting or playing fucking Nutbush and Jessie's Girl in a wedding band.  I quit  :biggrin:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
  I had a choice out of quitting or playing fucking Nutbush and Jessie's Girl in a wedding band.  I quit  :biggrin:

Unfortunately, you made the smarter move.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

We're pretty similar mate.  I rarely get out aside from the odd gig - going to a club and listening to dance music is akin to waterboarding me  ;D

I am only semi-regularly in touch with 3 or 4 guys I went to school with and in all cases they are into hard rock or metal.   Subconsciously I may have culled all those who were into shit music.  Actually they were all assholes so maybe all the good guys listen to metal  :metal    Come to think of it pretty much everyone in my life likes metal except my missus .  Believe it or not my 77yo dad (another one of my converts) came over for dinner the other night and he pulls out his "list" of topics for discussion as usual and he says "  That new single from Angra is pretty good."  :lol

As far as metal being dead , not here - but I think Melbourne is a special case.   Out here in the deep outer suburbs you will still get 100+ people paying $25 to see a KISS covers band.     And I can tell you that on the day Def Leppard/Scoprions went on general sale that they'd pretty much sold out Rod Laver Arena (10,000-12000) within 15 minutes.

I would love nothing more than to have the time to get back into guitar but then actually finding other decent musos and a singer that want to play metal covers and then getting gigs etc.............that whole process would be nigh on impossible.   I still regret not doing that many years ago but unfortunately I was at my peak on the guitar in the early 90's and we know what that was like.    I had a choice out of quitting or playing fucking Nutbush and Jessie's Girl in a wedding band.  I quit  :biggrin:

Absolutely on those two bolded sections.  I'm a pretty cunning person and cut everyone that does me wrong or doesn't have interests that interest me, guess that's why I'm a bit of a lone wolf, really, but I don't have time for most people.  But you're right, most of them are or were assholes. 

I remember still to this day my best mate in last year of high school.  I was well into metal and the guitar and he also was taking a liking to the Maidens, Priest, Gamma Ray, Hammerfall etc. whatever I was into.  All of a sudden he changed his music tastes to mainstream pop and starting looking at me like I was a freak listening to that music.  Like out of the fucking blue he changed.  I had I think Halford's Resurrection as I was super excited when I heard that and picked it up, and went over and played it for him, but his tastes had well changed.  He actually said to me "How are you going to meet girls listening to that?  What do you think they are going to think when they don't know any of the bands you listen to.  No one will ever take you seriously etc." 

Needless to say I was stunned and slowy cut ties with him, don't need that shit.  Anyway, that's slightly off topic, but after all that, I agree haha.  And yeah, even from where I am I can tell in Syndey and Melbourne it would be a more lively vibrant scene, and the second bolded part getting a metal covers band would most definitely be impossible, especially up here.  A shame.  I'd actually love to move down Sydney or Melbourne for a year or so and see what's out there.  I'd still love to get back into something seriously.  One day if my job situation changed we might do that, me and my partner have talked about that.

One day mate, if I ever move down or you and the family move up here, we're starting a band, no arguments!  ;D :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
  I had a choice out of quitting or playing fucking Nutbush and Jessie's Girl in a wedding band.  I quit  :biggrin:

Unfortunately, you made the smarter move.   :lol

You laugh, but sadly, you are quite correct.  Playing pub covers was one thing that made me dislike the guitar for a number of years.  I've really started to love it again the last 12 months even though I don't get teh time to just sit for hours and play like I use to.

But playing some of those songs can just suck the life out of you.  A few songs you don't mind and is quite fun but all in all, it kills your passion and life for the instrument.  Actually you'd normally play 4 45-50 minute sets and it was only usually the last set with something a bit more rocking that made it a little enjoyable, plus having a few burbouns under your belt.  But all in all, it's tough going when you are into the music we are into.  Maybe I'd look at it different now, I'd like to try again, but my work responsibility is the biggest part of my life and couldn't be assed doing something like that at the same time right now.

Offline Lowdz

I never had any interest in joining a band or playing gigs. Strictly a bedroom guitarist.

There are two bars in my town that put metal bands on. I did for a while think of forming a band to play the deeper cuts from the 80s bands but from seeing the bands play, the people just want the hits. The locals at the metal bar get every band who plays there to cover War Pigs, no matter what genre they play  :facepalm:

Or a metal ABBA tribute. That would be fun...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Or a metal ABBA tribute. That would be fun...

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
ABBAcalypse
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Lowdz

:lol

ABBA - toir

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
 :D

If you like the idea of ABBA mixed with metal classics then the Black Sweden album is pretty decent.  Paul would remember that one.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The only thing I really know from ABBA is the Yngwie cover, Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme

Still not sure what to think of that one.  Same with his Beat it cover.

Offline Lowdz

The only thing I really know from ABBA is the Yngwie cover, Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme

Still not sure what to think of that one.  Same with his Beat it cover.

Bob Rock’s cover of Eagle jj? My favourite ABBA song and a great cover.

And yeah, got that Black Sweden album. Most of it is great.

There was another that mashed ABBA songs with metal classics which I didn’t like as much. And At Vance are always throwing an ABBA cover on their albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I fucking hate Abba.

Offline Lowdz

I fucking hate Abba.

There goes my next submission to your roulette...

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
There might be a pattern here.

:)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
There might be a pattern here.

:)

Y u do dis to me?  :mehlin

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
It took me ages to figure out how to reverse that bloody S in ISSA - I hope you appreciate the effort    ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It took me ages to figure out how to reverse that bloody S in ISSA - I hope you appreciate the effort    ;D

Your work will haunt me in my nightmares for some time to come.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Your work will haunt me in my nightmares for some time to come.

Punish him with a low score.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Looks like Chad is having roulette nightmares  :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Looks like Chad is having roulette nightmares  :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
That's how I was picturing you yeah :lol

I think I will freak out like that if I find more than a couple of strong releases in 2018.

I am now getting through 2018 releases at a rate of knots .  Maybe I ain't looking in the right places but so far 2018 is making 2017 look like a year for the ages.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I hear ya... so far I've only bought 4 albums; saved a dozen or so on Spotify, and those were a stretch.  Not a standout year at all so far.  Most of what I've sampled has been shite.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I hear ya... so far I've only bought 4 albums; saved a dozen or so on Spotify, and those were a stretch.  Not a standout year at all so far.  Most of what I've sampled has been shite.

Really? I’ve bought like 10 albums and saved a bunch.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Really? I’ve bought like 10 albums and saved a bunch.

Yeah, but you're down a path I cannot follow.   :biggrin:

To be clear, I'm referring only to 2018 releases.  I've bought/saved a handful of others if I take into account everything.  I guess you can have the torch that Brent and I have carried for long enough now.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Tim’s not really on a path, per se, more like a treadmill.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Tim’s not really on a path, per se, more like a treadmill.

Are you calling Tim fat?

Offline Lowdz

It’s middle age spread. Us fogeys get that  :biggrin:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
This is the title track from White Wizzard's new album.  Pretty crap album - although they have  a decent back catalogue in parts.

Anyway..............notice anything familiar about the first verse?  :rollin

https://youtu.be/5_cBpFRpo3I

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Painkiller :metal

:lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Its a knockoff, but still sounds pretty good.