Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896821 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Well, at least you'll be home early.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

We'll see - hopefully they might do what they did in the Vegas shows a few years back where they did an intro show (as Ded Flatbird)  with all the good old stuff.  Might be a bit later than we think  :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 05:02:46 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Def Leppard are bringing their Hysteria anniversary show out to Australia -  I had decided I couldn't be bothered this time around but have changed my mind seeing as Scorpions are supporting .  They have never done a proper Australian tour as (Winds of Change aside) they were never big out here..  I can't say that I am their hugest fan but I do like plenty of songs and would like to see them.

How much?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Def Leppard are bringing their Hysteria anniversary show out to Australia -  I had decided I couldn't be bothered this time around but have changed my mind seeing as Scorpions are supporting .  They have never done a proper Australian tour as (Winds of Change aside) they were never big out here..  I can't say that I am their hugest fan but I do like plenty of songs and would like to see them.

How much?

As per usual it depends where you sit but the cheaper seats are around $100 which (given our normal exorbitant prices) is pretty cheap for 2 big name bands at an arena
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
<Scorpions>

I saw them with QR opening a couple years back.  They put on a great show, and Klaus sounds excellent - but holy fuck is he short!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

We'll see - hopefully they might do what they did in the Vegas shows a few years back where they did an intro show (as Ded Flatbird)  with all the good old stuff. 

I thought I read somewhere that those songs are now retired.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

<Scorpions>

I saw them with QR opening a couple years back.  They put on a great show, and Klaus sounds excellent - but holy fuck is he short!

A mate of mine has a theory about short arses becoming singers. So many are short. The handsome ones play guitar of course....

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Lowdz

Nice........that's the sort of classic lowdz vs Plant reply I was hoping for  :lol

I don’t like to disappoint. Ask my Mrs  :blush

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
In a few minutes (my time) it will be the 30th anniversary of this

:2metal:  :2metal: :2metal: :2metal: :2metal:    :2metal:  :2metal: :2metal: :2metal: :2metal: 

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

A few hours yet for me, but yeah, joint greatest album of all time.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
In a few minutes (my time) it will be the 30th anniversary of this

:2metal:  :2metal: :2metal: :2metal: :2metal:    :2metal:  :2metal: :2metal: :2metal: :2metal:

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
A truly classic masterpiece   :metal :metal :metal :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lowdz

Operation: Mindcrime for me too. Joint greatest album of all time. Legendary status.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
A couple of new releases:

Textbook heavy metal. The drums are mixed a bit too high but this album delivers. :metal

This is one of the best live albums I've heard in a long f'n time. Great mix, great sound, great tunes, great performances.
 :metal :metal :metal

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I found the Riot a real disappointment - and was going in with a positive bias after really enjoying recent albums.  I thought it had plenty of filler.

I hope Anthrax are paying Gene for that cover or there could be trouble :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

Didn't know there was an Anthrax live disc, have to check it out.

And I don't know Riot but that cover is cheesy as fuck.  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Is there a DVD of the Anthrax?

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

There is.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Didn't know there was an Anthrax live disc, have to check it out.

And I don't know Riot but that cover is cheesy as fuck.  :biggrin:

That is a theme with Riot.  :lol

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Don't mess with Johnny The Seal - we've had this discussion before  :biggrin:

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I hope Anthrax are paying Gene for that cover or there could be trouble :lol

Honestly, I don't understand the cover at all. I mean, if this were a Covers Album, then fine, at least it might make sense. But this is their own live album, and a damn good one at that. I just think it's cheesy.

There is.

Yes there is. the footage is excellent, but I will not be buying it. I know I'll never watch it. It's weird, right, but I just never have the time to sit and watch a DVD. Ever.

Offline Kwyjibo

Regarding dvds I'm the same, I watch them once, maybe twice if they're outstanding, but I just don't have the time to sit down and watch them more often. I therefore prefer live cds and hate it if something is released only as dvd/blueray or only as a package with horrendous pricing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Regarding dvds I'm the same, I watch them once, maybe twice if they're outstanding, but I just don't have the time to sit down and watch them more often. I therefore prefer live cds and hate it if something is released only as dvd/blueray or only as a package with horrendous pricing.

Right, and I hate to say it, but I understand how YouTube really affects this. I mean, even though I don't have the time to watch an entire thing, even if I want to watch a song, it requires me to go downstairs, choose the DVD, find the DVD remote, put the disc in, change the TV input....by this time, I forget what fucking song it was that I wanted to watch!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
It is very rare that I buy live dvd's.  I would probably watch it once, and that would be it.  But I will always get a live cd of a band that I like as I would much rather listen to a band on cd than watch them on dvd.

I'm going to get this new Anthrax live cd in June and get it at the same time as the new Fates Warning.  A double whammy.

All the samples of both are sounding great!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I like DVDs because I put it on while I'm working out... if I'm lifting or doing some HIIT, then it isn't quite a dedicated 'watch', but if I'm on the exercise bike, I can give it my full attention.

And now that the Leafs and (soon to be) Raptors are out, I can go back to watching concerts while I workout.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah true, I don't know why I asked, I haven't watched a concert DVD for ages and when I buy one, rarely have any time to watch anything.

Offline Lowdz

I prefer a live dvd to a live album but I don’t get time to wAtch them these days. I bought the Ayreon two weeks ago and haven’t watched more than 20 minutes of it yet.

But if I spot overdubbing it kills it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I prefer a live dvd to a live album but I don’t get time to wAtch them these days. I bought the Ayreon two weeks ago and haven’t watched more than 20 minutes of it yet.

I would agree with this.  Really leaves a bitter taste in your mouth.  Might as well watch a music video.

Offline Lowdz

I would agree with this.  Really leaves a bitter taste in your mouth.  Might as well watch a music video.

Worst for this was Royal Hunts dvd with John West.. and he denied overdubbing it. If that’s so, the guy who sync’d it wants hooting

Offline Kwyjibo

I don't like it when the overdubbing is obvious but I believe most live albums are tampered with, especially nowadays. And then there are bands with so much backing tapes on stage that you don't know what's live anymore.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
I passed on the Anthrax. I am more a fan of the Bush era, and I am a big fan of Persistence of Time with Belladonna. With nothing from the latter, and obviously, this being Belladonna instead of Bush, I didn't really see the need to get it. I may change my mind at some point, but I don't know. For now, I'll live vicariously through you guys.  :lol

Regarding the whole live CD vs. live DVD thing...I usually get both, but I have found myself staring at my DVD/Blu ray concert collection more than a few times in the past year, wondering if I should part with some of it. I just don't watch it. Live CDs though...I still really enjoy having live captures of eras of bands I enjoy.

About the overdubs...it just depends. With video productions, overdubs are generally done. On audio CDs, it just depends. I mean I don't think the Fates audio from the upcoming released was messed with. That's why they recorded so many shows. They picked the best performances and went with it. However, on that newest Dokken live release with the original lineup...George was doing a clinic last week that my friend attended, and my buddy flat-out asked about the overdubs. He said Don had to overdub the entire thing. And even George admitted having to go in and play a couple of things again.

So, very few live video productions are completely clean. But I think if you get a live album culled from multiple shows, that's probably purely live.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com