Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 901717 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Having a listen to the new (well, most recent) Mike Lepond, not bad.  I like what I'm hearing more than the first one.  Not really what I expected.  Reminds me heavy of later Metal Church, even Overkill without the thrash element turned down a bit.  I think mainly cause the singer sounds a lot like Bobby.

Meat and potatoes, no bullshit style metal, above solid.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah, it's a cool album. Been enjoying it very much!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Had a couple of listens to the new Borealis too.  Even though there's nothing new and it's petty much a continuation of the last one, it's really quite impressive.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Agreed.  'new' or not, great music is still great music.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I just bought Rainbow's...um..excuse me..Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow's  ;D Memories In Rock II. Apparently I missed the first one..but this has a new studio track..Waiting For A Sign.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKtPlcugqF0

What do you guys think about it?

Romero's voice really is a great cross between Dio and Coverdale. For being the first new song in a million years, I'd say it's a little underwhelming, but listening to it a couple of times, it's actually pretty good. Very classic sounding.

So this is my thought...Blackmore's disappearance from the hard rock scene is a crime.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm a big Romero fanboy. Will definite spin this when I get a chance.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
It's pretty mellow, but I dig it. I can easily imagine Ronnie singing that one and I think it would fit in nicely on "On Stage" with a five minute guitar solo.

Cool tune

Offline Lowdz

With the new song and the re-record Of I Surrender, I felt that he just couldn’t be bothered to record a rhythm guitar.
Romero always sounds great.

Offline ozzy554

New Lizzy Borden track https://youtu.be/-vJdiJ8A8Qo

Musically it's pretty much what I expected. A solid enough track but I have some issues with the production. Not a fan of the effect on Lizzy's voice and he's mixed too quietly. I know sometimes Youtube isn't a good indicator of how it will sound on CD so I'll hope that's the case here.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Musically it's pretty much what I expected. A solid enough track but I have some issues with the production. Not a fan of the effect on Lizzy's voice and he's mixed too quietly. I know sometimes Youtube isn't a good indicator of how it will sound on CD so I'll hope that's the case here.

Sounds very "single-ish" but yeah.........solid enough to suggest some effort has gone into the album.  Not sure about the sound but we'll see when the real thing hits.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I would imagine Stryper was intentionally looking to cause controversy with this album title, so this Walmart story is probably exactly what they want.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Not really what I expected, dunno why.  Loved the last album so I'll still look forward to this.

Offline ozzy554

Not really what I expected, dunno why.  Loved the last album so I'll still look forward to this.

Same after I listened to the new track I started listening to some of my favorites from Appointment With death and long story short ended up listening to the full album out of order. I forgot how much I enjoyed that album.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Just got back from a Vince Neil/Helix show.

I think Vince looks exactly like Mickey Rourke.  Vince was...........rough to say the least, but he tried.

Now Helix, they have good lyrics.  Gimme an R...O...C...K....then the crowd yells really loud.  That's a concert!  Now Rush don't do stuff like that.  They have lyrics about how trees talk to each other and how different sides of your brain works and outer space bullshit (Chad will get it)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 10:41:21 PM by jjrock88 »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I saw Helix/Lee Aaron back in the fall. Both sounded pretty good, but holy shit do Helix look like there are some HARD miles under the hood.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
New Dokken

https://bravewords.com/news/dokken-premiers-official-music-video-for-new-song-it-s-just-another-day

Did not listen to the new track today (I got a download, and moved the new track to the end). I will say that musically, the live performance is really good. Vocally, live, Don's not the same guy at all. He isn't as dynamic as he once was. But I am enjoying it so far. I may even go buy the physical edition (I got a promotional press download).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
1) Happy Birthday Brent!!!

2) This thread should never go onto page 2.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks Jay and thanks Tim from the roulette page.

And thanks for the bump  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Happy/Heavy Birthday  :metal :metal :metal and all the best to you Brent.

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks H  ........hope all is well at your end :)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
A shitload of work, two girls that are lovely but nerve wrecking at the same time  ;D and not enough time to listen to music. But I can't complain, everything's good.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 06:17:33 AM by Kwyjibo »
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Good to hear.

I am guessing that Tim will be pleased to see Ken Mary is into Flotsam & Jetsam as a permanent member

I am also guessing that Paul will be interested in my old aunty's review of the recent Robert Plant gig here in Oz ........"bloody horrific".   And that's from a Zep fan  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Good to hear.

I am guessing that Tim will be pleased to see Ken Mary is into Flotsam & Jetsam as a permanent member

I am also guessing that Paul will be interested in my old aunty's review of the recent Robert Plant gig here in Oz ........"bloody horrific".   And that's from a Zep fan  :lol

At his prime he would be bloody horrific. Now? I don’t think there are words. I’ve taken him off my To Punch List, because he’s an old man now.

I went to the G3 gig the other night and despite Uli Roth being completely awesome, his singer wanted to be a Robert Plant so bad, and I had to resist the urge to get on stage and slap him 😀

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Nice........that's the sort of classic lowdz vs Plant reply I was hoping for  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I forgive him. We all have our special little fails.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Sounds like Paul has finally forgiven him too  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Well, I was not happy that Jason Bittner left. He was fantastic on their last album, and had a style very similar to Kelly Smith's. It's one of the things that gave the s/t that classic feel.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Might've been Jay I was thinking of who is a big Ken Mary fan (Fifth Angel and all).  Bittner left to be in Overkill if memory serves correct .......I assume that's a minor step up in terms of the "pull" of the respective bands.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Rumours around that the Conception boys have been spotted together.   I realise that probably means little to many but I'd be on board "bigly."

Now confirmed  :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Might've been Jay I was thinking of who is a big Ken Mary fan (Fifth Angel and all). 

Alice Cooper and all!

Backstage at the Boston Garden, November 17, 1987.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Def Leppard are bringing their Hysteria anniversary show out to Australia -  I had decided I couldn't be bothered this time around but have changed my mind seeing as Scorpions are supporting .  They have never done a proper Australian tour as (Winds of Change aside) they were never big out here..  I can't say that I am their hugest fan but I do like plenty of songs and would like to see them.

www.theguitardojo.com.au