Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 906805 times)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
That's a great package. Although I didn't really like the last couple of Mr. Big releases I think they still bring it live. And Extreme is just extreme.  :metal :metal :metal

But why is Billy not on tour with Sons Of Apollo?

It just seems like Don is going through the motions big time and really couldn't care less.

I will stick with the first Beast from the East, which kicks ass

Quoted for truth.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I do have one burning question that will need answers this week!!

And the question is...........

Your favorites of the songs on Firepower by Judas Priest?

Offline Lowdz

Check out this awful live video from the new Dokken DVD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajTfrGK1lj8

Awful because of the overly blatant overdubbing of Don's vox.  Surely they don't think they are kidding anyone here?

Nothing could make me click that link...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm not a huge Mr. Big or Extreme fan but I haven't been to a show in a while, this might be worth a look just to see Paul Gilbert.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

I'm not a huge Mr. Big or Extreme fan but I haven't been to a show in a while, this might be worth a look just to see Paul Gilbert.

It is! Go.

Nino is worth seeing too. Great player.

I’m enjoying the new Priest track. Simple, but very Priest.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

It is! Go.

Yeah, Nuno is great.  I have one of his model guitars for some reason haha.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Gus G with Dennis Ward;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JMY5npXSZQ

I thought this was really good.  Wasn't sure in the verse but by the end I dug it.

Offline Lowdz

It is! Go.

Yeah, Nuno is great.  I have one of his model guitars for some reason haha.

Cool.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Found a copy of the Saxon in store yesterday.  After two listens I think it's fucking awesome.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Found a copy of the Saxon in store yesterday.  After two listens I think it's fucking awesome.

:metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

:metal :metal :metal :metal

I can't understand what Tim was talking about with his thoughts on this one.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
What do you think of the small amount of growls on the album Kade?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm sure I would've enjoyed it a lot more if I had not heard the awesomeness of their last 6-8 albums.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
For me its hard to say that Saxon has made even a subpar album.  Maybe the debut and Rock the Nations are slightly lesser in quality, but I really like/love all of their albums.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I went in with low expectations and was positively surprised.  Based on the first song released (and a few reviews) I was expecting an album with little crunch and a stripped back sound and I didn't find that at all for the most part.

I am not quite as ecstatic over it as Kade but enjoyed the listen and thought it was a quality album.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I went in with low expectations and was positively surprised.  Based on the first song released

The title track is one of the stronger songs, if not, the strongest.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I went in with low expectations and was positively surprised.  Based on the first song released

If you look at what I wrote my reference to that song was about the sound/production.   You've quoted in the wrong direction  :lol

Having said that ......  ;)  - I thought that song was just a solid track.

The two standouts for me were The Secret of Flight (fave) and Predator.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
What do you think of the small amount of growls on the album Kade?

Johan from Amon Amarth, love it mate!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm sure I would've enjoyed it a lot more if I had not heard the awesomeness of their last 6-8 albums.

I've only listened to it twice, but it's as good as anything from Lionheart onwards.

If you look at what I wrote my reference to that song was about the sound/production.   You've quoted in the wrong direction  :lol

Having said that ......  ;)  - I thought that song was just a solid track.

The two standouts for me were The Secret of Flight (fave) and Predator.

I agree after the title track I thought they might have lost some of their balls, but that's definitely not the case. 

They are probably my two favs at the moment also, but Sniper is up there too, that riff!!  Nosferatu is awesome too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
OK, so I gave the new Saxon another spin today. Seems the 3rd spin was MUCH better than the first two.

This will likely be a grower, which is fine. I love Saxon and don't dislike anything they've done. This just didn't grab me right off. They've set the bar pretty high here recently.

A couple of things do stand out on this.
First, there is some sick rhythm guitar going on. Even if feel a track is missing an effective pre chorus or chorus, mostly every verse is fantastic.
Secondly, Nigel Glockler  :hefdaddy  65 years old! He f'n rules on this album.

And Biff just doesn't get old. He sounds great.

Offline Lowdz

I enjoyed the first listen but not been back yet. The growls were a bit ridiculous and were just a token effort but thankfully not enough of them to ruin things. In fact, they gave me a bit of a chuckle. Not sure that was the intention

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
OK, so I gave the new Saxon another spin today. Seems the 3rd spin was MUCH better than the first two.

This will likely be a grower, which is fine. I love Saxon and don't dislike anything they've done. This just didn't grab me right off. They've set the bar pretty high here recently.

A couple of things do stand out on this.
First, there is some sick rhythm guitar going on. Even if feel a track is missing an effective pre chorus or chorus, mostly every verse is fantastic.
Secondly, Nigel Glockler  :hefdaddy  65 years old! He f'n rules on this album.

And Biff just doesn't get old. He sounds great.

Glad you have come around Tim, we were worried about you.  I'm really loving the record.  Sniper might be my fav at the moment, that damn riff.

I enjoyed the first listen but not been back yet. The growls were a bit ridiculous and were just a token effort but thankfully not enough of them to ruin things. In fact, they gave me a bit of a chuckle. Not sure that was the intention

I really doubt they did this for comedic value Paul.  I applaud them for doing it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, expecting a pic of you guys in front of this thing!

https://bravewords.com/news/ac-dc-giant-sculpture-of-late-vocalist-bon-scott-unveiled-in-melbourne-video

I don't get into the city all that often but will try and remember to get to it in June when I expect to be in around that way for the Extreme/Mr Big concert.

Gotta love that suit  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Nicely done.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Firepower seems to be getting some amazing reviews around the place.

Release date is tomorrow - I'll be having a listen tonight (huge 24 hr advance  :lol  )

Will give some first impressions later.   :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll pick it up Saturday or Sunday.  I'm really looking forward to it.

Offline gazinwales

Firepower - listened to about half of it on the car CD player today, very solid effort.
Nothing too spectacular though, but Halford sounds amazing, the production if very clean, but way over compressed.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Firepower - listened to about half of it on the car CD player today, very solid effort.
Nothing too spectacular though, but Halford sounds amazing, the production if very clean, but way over compressed.

Yep, Andy Sneap.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Initial thoughts.............good album that would have me rating it somewhere around what I did Redeemer.

As per usual any album with 13-14 tracks gets a bit tiring unless there are some real memorable tracks consistently throughout and this album doesn't have enough variety/memorable songs to fill out that many tracks without some degree of fatigue..........for me anyway.

So there are quite a few "by the numbers" songs here that initially had me reaching for the 3/5 stars but in almost all cases there was a change up/cool midsection that got me back on board - enough to at least consider it a good track by the end.

So , while I don't think it meets the sorts of expectations many reviews are generating , it IS a strong album that shows that these guys are not done by any means.

Relatively speaking I didn't find it particularly strong in the lead guitar department - not weak either but the absence of a lot of Tipton's trademarks is noticed.

Future Priest classics?   I still need more listens but if I was to name the tracks I found memorable -  Evil Never Dies, Never The Heroes, Rising From Ruins  and the very short and basic No Surrender.

Tentative rating around 84%

« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 06:01:36 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
As long as Firepower is solid or better, I'm content.  Getting it Friday!!

Offline gazinwales

Yeah 14 tracks is way too long for this kind of album that is 'samey'.
8 or 9 of the best songs would have been better and save the leftovers for bonus tracks or a seperate EP.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
As long as Firepower is solid or better, I'm content.  Getting it Friday!!

Yup, tomorrow at this time I'll be listening to it. Looking forward to it. I have listened to NOTHING from it so far.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Initial thoughts.............good album that would have me rating it somewhere around what I did Redeemer.

As per usual any album with 13-14 tracks gets a bit tiring unless there are some real memorable tracks consistently throughout and this album doesn't have enough variety/memorable songs to fill out that many tracks without some degree of fatigue..........for me anyway.

So there are quite a few "by the numbers" songs here that initially had me reaching for the 3/5 stars but in almost all cases there was a change up/cool midsection that got me back on board - enough to at least consider it a good track by the end.

So , while I don't think it meets the sorts of expectations many reviews are generating , it IS a strong album that shows that these guys are not done by any means.

Relatively speaking I didn't find it particularly strong in the lead guitar department - not weak either but the absence of a lot of Tipton's trademarks is noticed.

Future Priest classics?   I still need more listens but if I was to name the tracks I found memorable -  Evil Never Dies, Never The Heroes, Rising From Ruins  and the very short and basic No Surrender.

Tentative rating around 84%

Was afraid of this, but of course is to be expected.