Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896553 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
If anybody gives a shit I'm hearing Oni Logan has quit Lynch Mob for the 545th time.  :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
While I don't think it even touches the first 4 Bodom albums, it's pretty decent.
What's your fave COB?

Gotta be FTR mate.  It changes between that, Hatecrew and Hatebreeder but I think Reaper is my go to album from them.  It use to be Hatecrew but these days I'd say Reaper.  The debut was one that I never really got into as much as the next three either for some reason.  I am a big fan of AYDY also, I think that's a fabulous album.

Just be prepared mate, we might cop it for talking about a growly band in this thread.  These pansies can't handle them.  :lol  ;D

Yeah FTR is also my fave Bodom and go to, but did you know that there are two different versions of the album?
The Spinefarm and Nuclear Blast versions have slightly different mixes.

I actually don't think Alexi's vocal style is growls, it's more erm, well rough'n'gruff ramblings or something that cannot quite be described.

JP and Saxon, OAP with bus passes  ;D

No, I actually didnt know that at all. I think I'll have to check those out. I cant even think what version I own actually.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
There is only 6 postings allowed a year in this thread that discusses growlie shit.

Sorry boys, you're 2018 quota is done for the year. 2019 you can continue that COB conversation.

Man new Judas Priest and Saxon coming up right away!  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Sorry boss.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
If anybody gives a shit I'm hearing Oni Logan has quit Lynch Mob for the 545th time.  :)

I can't imagine there are many people who give a shit lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Wicked Sensation was and is amazing, but that's some twenty years ago. So yeah, I don't give a shit.  :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Cool interview with Tony Carey. Talks about the Rainbow days.

https://goodtimesrock.ru/?page_id=1707

Gotta agree with him about those lyrics for All Night Long.  The song itself is okay, but those might just be the worst lyrics ever written.  The other thing that kills me about that song is that heavy intro that teases you into thinking you're getting a Dio-like epic track, but instead it quickly degenerates into an 80s style pop chorus. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Lowdz

I can't imagine there are many people who give a shit lol

Can’t say I’m bothered. Last years album didn’t grab me, though I liked the one before. His voice in recent years hasn’t done it for me.. first two albums were great and that’s about it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to here it....

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm sure even Lynch probably doesn't give a shit.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Gotta agree with him about those lyrics for All Night Long.  The song itself is okay, but those might just be the worst lyrics ever written.  The other thing that kills me about that song is that heavy intro that teases you into thinking you're getting a Dio-like epic track, but instead it quickly degenerates into an 80s style pop chorus.

What I found interesting was that he plays on three of the LLRNR tracks, but is uncredited.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte

What I found interesting was that he plays on three of the LLRNR tracks, but is uncredited.

On a similar note, Rainbow was like a revolving door clusterfuck of musicians constantly dropping in and out of the band. Not unlike Megadeth, it was probably a function of having that single domineering asshat in the band a la Blackmore\Mustaine who apparently put some of those guys through hell.

That said, the personnel changes likely helped to keep the creative juices flowing. When Dio left, as catastrophic as it seemed at the time, it was a good thing that Blackmore didn't go after a Dio clone or Dio fantasy approach. For all the lyrical cheesiness and 80s pop leanings of those post-Dio albums, there's a freshness and vitality to them that keeps me listening.

And I absolutely love Street of Dreams. What a great song!
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah, the JLT Era can be addicting. I just pulled out the Boston 1981 CD and it is a great performance.

Offline Lowdz

There is some good stuff on all those post DIO albums but no great albums. I don’t love them like I do Rising and LLPnP.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm not a massive Rainbow fan, but when I go to them, it's usually the JLT stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm not a massive Rainbow fan, but when I go to them, it's usually the JLT stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Haha fuck yeah. 

Offline gazinwales

My first taste of Rainbow many years ago was renting the 'Live Between The Eyes' VHS tape from Video Easy.
I used to rent it at least every month and couldn't get enough of it, back then I don't think you could even buy it.

Offline Lowdz

My first taste of Rainbow many years ago was renting the 'Live Between The Eyes' VHS tape from Video Easy.
I used to rent it at least every month and couldn't get enough of it, back then I don't think you could even buy it.

A mate of mine had it and I remember watching it at his house once. I got a bootleg of that and a few other shows a few years ago and then they released the dvd. Great show. JLT has such a great voice.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

A mate of mine had it and I remember watching it at his house once. I got a bootleg of that and a few other shows a few years ago and then they released the dvd. Great show. JLT has such a great voice.

Great hair too.

Offline Lowdz

Great fur hat

Offline gazinwales

Video Ezy that is, surprised that no one corrected me, are you all that young :o?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Video Ezy that is, surprised that no one corrected me, are you all that young :o?

No..........that old and tired that we can't be stuffed being pedantic  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

And either the dementia is progressing or I’ve never heard of it 😀

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Remember it well, just didn't pick it.  The only thing I use to rent from video stores as a kid was Sega games.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I was just listening to Nostradamus from Judas Priest for the first time in ages.  It's alright but can be somewhat of a chore to get through. 

This album is a perfect example of how less is more sometimes.  If this album was condensed to one single disc it would be much better.

It might be neck and neck with Rocka Rolla for the bottom spot for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I was just listening to Nostradamus from Judas Priest for the first time in ages.  It's alright but can be somewhat of a chore to get through. 

This album is a perfect example of how less is more sometimes.  If this album was condensed to one single disc it would be much better.

I revisted it a while afterwards when it was released and there is some good stuff on there.  I actually made a single cd version.  I'll have to see if I can find the tracklist.  It worked surprisingly well.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
FWIW I am hearing that some sort of major announcement from KISS is imminent.

What KISS consider major and what the fans consider major are often two different things but that's the goss.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

What KISS consider major and what the fans consider major are often two different things but that's the goss.

Hopefully it's they are going to break up immediately and never show their faces in public again.

Or Gene Simmons lube, but I'm sure that already exists.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

Hopefully it's they are going to break up immediately and never show their faces in public again.

It sure does... just used some last night. :zydar:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Nice to see you had the house to yourself last night Chad.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Here's the version I made;

Dawn of Creation
Prophecy
Awakening
Revelations
Pestilence and Plague
Conquest
Persecution
Exiled
Alone
Shadows in the Flame
Visions
Nostradamus
Future of Mankind

Around 68 minutes, much better.  Dunno if what I cut misses crucial parts of the story, but I couldn't really give a fuck.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah Kade that version of Nostradamus is already an improvement.

As far as Kiss goes, maybe its finally time for Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park part 2!!

Offline ozzy554

Nostradamus really grew on me. I love it much more today than I did when it came out. Though I do agree that it would have been much better cut down to one disc.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Nostradamus really grew on me. I love it much more today than I did when it came out. Though I do agree that it would have been much better cut down to one disc.

I just don't understand what the need was with the 2cd thing, it was just so damn bloated, not necessary.

Offline Lowdz

Nice to see you had the house to yourself last night Chad.

It didn’t help Chad. I haven’t been able to walk all day 😀