Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 906982 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
My God :lol

Funny we are speaking of Malmsteen as I just put on a new album from a guy called Sammy Berrell who is not only a Malmsteen wannabe but it has Edman and Vescera on it.

Just played a song called Midnight Flyer (can't find it on YT but it's on Spotify) and it is a total ripoff of another song -  Teaser I think.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Taking another one for the team, Brent. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yep.........seems I am.

I am just surprised that Edman in particular would be a part of it.   I know Malmsteen ripped him off financially or something but I'm not sure that rehashing songs on a supposedly original album with a Malmsteen impersonator is achieving much.

Anyway - better than any of Malmsteen's recent albums :lol
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 08:50:39 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
a little over 3 hours and 35 or so tracks into the podcast so far.  Awesome metal section!

Unruly Child is obviously great.

Also enjoyed that Dave Uhrich track.

Thought the Valentine track was excellent.

Chad, saw your last.fm note about scrobbling the tracks and responded there.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I've got some time on my hands today, so I've downloaded the podcast!

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You got quite a tan cleaning your car the other day.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

That was Chad, silly.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :facepalm:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
To echo what Ozzy554 said about Yngwie, here's a clip of his show the other night in Worcester.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Znt-rEwViw

Wow, he wasn't kidding. The band is parked in the corner. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
To echo what Ozzy554 said about Yngwie, here's a clip of his show the other night in Worcester.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Znt-rEwViw

Wow, he wasn't kidding. The band is parked in the corner. :lol

Hmm....it is odd, but I don't have a big problem with it, it's really just the bass player moved to the other side, the keyboard player and drummer would practically be in the same spot no matter what.  Love him or hate him, he's still a master of the instrument IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

After 30 odd years of hearing the same runs and arpeggios I’m very over it. I still love those first few albums but haven’t bought anything by him since Facing The Animal. I wouldn’t stay to watch if he was playing in my living room...

He’s got to be joking with the wall of Marshall’s though...ManOwaR will accept the challenge 🤘

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
After 30 odd years of hearing the same runs and arpeggios I’m very over it. I still love those first few albums but haven’t bought anything by him since Facing The Animal. I wouldn’t stay to watch if he was playing in my living room...

He’s got to be joking with the wall of Marshall’s though...ManOwaR will accept the challenge

I'm basically the same.   All the extra little improvs he does ruin the melodies of his old songs too.  Just totally lost the plot.

a little over 3 hours and 35 or so tracks into the podcast so far.  Awesome metal section!

Unruly Child is obviously great.

Also enjoyed that Dave Uhrich track.

Thought the Valentine track was excellent.

Chad, saw your last.fm note about scrobbling the tracks and responded there.

thanks Hath :)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Who is the singer for The Ferrymen? He sounds just like Robin McCauley.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Ronnie Romero - they guy who's been touring in "Rainbow"

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Oh OK. And Lords Of Black. How is the rest of The Ferryman album? If that's the best song, I'll pass. Are these albums getting churned out too fast? Guys are in this project, that project..

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That Leatherheart track was  :metal :metal :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Oh OK. And Lords Of Black. How is the rest of The Ferryman album? If that's the best song, I'll pass. Are these albums getting churned out too fast? Guys are in this project, that project..

Views are mixed around here.  Chad said earlier that he loves it .   My view is that there's nothing "bad" on it - a few songs too long though.   Even the best tracks don't wow me , in that they are quite familiar.   One Heart is my favourite because to me the writing is a bit more original and thoughtful.

In the end most think it is a very good album but most also agree that it is missing the more memorable songwriting of early Allen/Lande.

The good news is that I am starting to flesh out my list of 2017 "finds" - looking a lot healthier than a few months back.   

:metal
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 06:49:34 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Currently listening to the track after Nautilus. I like this one. Blackmore style solo..

:metal

indeed.  That is a great album.

Going to have to check it out.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I had this strange dream last night that I ran a roulette with people I never met. Some strange stuff too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Currently listening to the track after Nautilus. I like this one. Blackmore style solo..

That's Pretty Maids? Probably the first track I've heard by them that I really liked.

Have to pause here for now. 1:45:00 in.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I had this strange dream last night that I ran a roulette with people I never met. Some strange stuff too.

Jesus... I had the same dream!  And you even rated the songs pretty favorably - at least ... in public.  In private you shat all over them.  It's like you were being a polite Canadian or something.  Although, I knew it couldn't be that, because you weren't apologizing enough.

As for the Ferrymen album... nothing wrong with anything, and although I'm a big fan of both Ronnie and Magnus, it's clear Magnus' best writing days are in the rearview mirror.  I can't say there's a single track I disliked, but there certainly weren't any that gave me a WOW factor.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Damn, gotta get onto this podcast.

I really enjoyed The Ferrymen, a lot. But everyone knows my obsession with Magnus.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
https://bravewords.com/news/stryper-frontman-michael-sweet-talks-replacement-for-bassist-tim-gaines-we-do-have-a-guy-in-mind-he-comes-from-a-very-successful-band-and-everyone-will-know-who-he-is
My first thought was Jeff Pilson, but then they said they had to "fly him out". Pilson is already a West Coast guy, right?
Joey Vera is a West Coast guy too, unless he's out here near the Fates' guys.

Offline Lowdz

I really enjoyed the new Savage Messiah album today.

And I bought the Sons of Apollo album as HMV.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
https://bravewords.com/news/stryper-frontman-michael-sweet-talks-replacement-for-bassist-tim-gaines-we-do-have-a-guy-in-mind-he-comes-from-a-very-successful-band-and-everyone-will-know-who-he-is
My first thought was Jeff Pilson, but then they said they had to "fly him out". Pilson is already a West Coast guy, right?
Joey Vera is a West Coast guy too, unless he's out here near the Fates' guys.

Pilson would be zero chance until Foreigner calls it a day -he struggled to get a few weeks for some Dokken shows.

I really enjoyed the new Savage Messiah album today.

About to check it out myself.  Heard one track and thought it was pretty decent.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 06:24:44 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brent, your guess on the bassist?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, your guess on the bassist?

I really have no idea.  Journeymen bassists who are fairly well known?  I'll take a wild guess and say James Lomenzo who also happens to be in Sweet/Lynch.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I expect a bigger name than that. Plus he said from a very successful band. Rules out Lomenzo.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Depends whether he means currently in a very successful band.  I would assume that Sweet wants someone to be full time and so I am assuming that the bassist is not currently in a big band.

Whether you like them or not I would consider White Lion very successful for a period.  He was also a member of Black Label Society and Megadeth and probably has the right look.

Another couple of names that could be a chance -  Todd Kerns (Slash) and Sean McNabb (Lynch Mob)

Kerns is a good singer as per the recent Toque album.    I am guessing that Lynch may have set them up with someone as you can see.

Of course if Rudy Sarzo gets involved then he will have the competition licked.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 09:02:11 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Whether you like them or not I would consider White Lion very successful for a period.  He was also a member of Black Label Society and Megadeth and probably has the right look.

It's not that I don't like them. Is White Lion really successful though? The only time I remember them coming to this area was third on a bill with Y&T and Ace Frehley in 1987.

Based on Michael Sweet's tease, I'm expecting a bigger name than James Lomenzo.

Sarzo is interesting.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Depends if you equate success with album sales.   White Lion's Pride album charted #11 in America and is double platinum.   Many of the big name bands discussed around here never got close to that.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah. I guess.. I'm expecting a bigger name than Lomenzo. You could certainly be right. But when Sweet said a "successful band", it just sounded to me that it would've been more recent than literally 30 years ago.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah. I guess.. I'm expecting a bigger name than Lomenzo. You could certainly be right. But when Sweet said a "successful band", it just sounded to me that it would've been more recent than literally 30 years ago.

Hence why I mentioned his stints in BLS and Megadeth.

In the end I have no idea but it would not surprise me at all if the name comes from the list Lomenzo, McNabb and Kerns in particular.    Not sure if Kerns would want to give up his Slash gig for Stryper though.

And Sweet is a little prone to exaggeration at times :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 09:31:57 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
OK, but what about the "fly him out" comment? I would think Lomenzo, Kearns, and McNabb are West Coast guys. As far as I know, Stryper is a West Coast band.

Just having fun sleuthing. :)