Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 907112 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'll have to give it a bit more.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I'm liking this Ferrymen album.  I think Magnus has actually stepped it up a little with this one and there's some really good songs.  He's put in an effort here.  Ronnie's voice is awesome too.  Worthy of a purchase I think.

Oh, it was definitely purchase worthy.  But I give the June 2nd nod to Jorn.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

I'm liking this Ferrymen album.  I think Magnus has actually stepped it up a little with this one and there's some really good songs.  He's put in an effort here.  Ronnie's voice is awesome too.  Worthy of a purchase I think.

Yeah, I liked it. It may have helped that I went in not expecting too much following the songs that were released ahead of it. I like those songs now but they didn't jump out at me beforehand.

I'm really liking the Iced Earth. Some entertaining solos on it too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Oh, it was definitely purchase worthy.  But I give the June 2nd nod to Jorn.

Not liking the Jorn at all really which is weird for me.

Alex's crap guitar playing kills it for me.  And the bland songwriting.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Where the heck has Brent been?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I was seriously just about to come in and post a *misses Brent*.

He and I exchanged an email last week.  He's been busier than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest with some personal stuff - nothing bad per se, just stuff that requires attention and focus.  Hell, he said he hasn't even had time to listen to much music lately.   :omg:

I think I'd :marriageanalogy: !!!  :lol

Pretty sure he's lurking a bit, but I'll leave it at that - any more is his story, not mine.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

Yeah, it's been quiet around these parts without him.
I thought he was off preparing the Brent and Ben Ultimate History of Hard Rock and Metal, featuring every band ever... ;D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I thought he was off preparing the Brent and Ben Ultimate History of Hard Rock and Metal, featuring every band ever... ;D

If it's every band that Brent knows, then the Brent and Ben Ultimate History of Hard Rock and Metal show will be ready in 2025.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

If it's every band that Brent knows, then the Brent and Ben Ultimate History of Hard Rock and Metal show will be ready in 2025.

And we'd all be listening to it until 2030!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
In all seriousness, we are more than spoiled having Brent all to ourselves.

The guy could host a major league internet show and blow everyone else's shows away.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

He and I exchanged an email last week.  He's been busier than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest with some personal stuff - nothing bad per se, just stuff that requires attention and focus.  Hell, he said he hasn't even had time to listen to much music lately.   :omg:

Pretty sure he's lurking a bit, but I'll leave it at that - any more is his story, not mine.

Yeah, um, DTF?!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth

I was wondering too, but good to hear that it's nothing serious.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lowdz

So I've had a listen to some of the newer releases- someone's got to take up the slack in Brent's absence  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Mr Big - it's a decent album handicapped by shit production. Unlike the last couple I do fee like playing it again

Heaven'sFire - Playing With Fire - really enjoyed it. Straight ahead metal album, nice and varied, good singer. Worth a look. Purchase worthy

Don Barnes - unreleased album from the 38 Special singer/guitarist . Old school AOR, well played, well sung and a damn sight better than the Frontiers stuff coming out today.

Anthriel- Under Burning Skies - excellent prog metal, with actual songs. Singer sounds like Graham Bonnet.

Great White - Full Circle - I wash fav A White back in the day but the last few since Old Rose Motel haven't done anything for me. I like this one.

Next up, Riverdogs, Ten,

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Man, none of those I would really bother checking out at all.  The Heaven's Fire could be alright though.  Interested in the Ten too but not expecting much.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I've had a listen to some of the newer releases- someone's got to take up the slack in Brent's absence  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Man, none of those I would really bother checking out at all. 

:lol

Mission accomplished, Paul!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I found Anthriel's (titled Transcendence) pretty good, despite being a step back from the debut.

Was never much of a fan of Great White other than a few tracks.  Same for .38 Special.  Might check out Don Barnes though based on Paul's assessment.

Offline Lowdz

Man, none of those I would really bother checking out at all. 

Mission accomplished, Paul!

:) :biggrin:
The things I do for you guys!

I found Anthriel's (titled Transcendence) pretty good, despite being a step back from the debut.

Was never much of a fan of Great White other than a few tracks.  Same for .38 Special.  Might check out Don Barnes though based on Paul's assessment.

The Great White won't be of interest to anyone who doesn't like Great White - it's a straight up bluesy rock album. I'd rate the songs higher than the Inglorious album personally.

Oh, and it helps that I'm off work sick at the moment - plenty of free time. New guitar is due to be delivered anytime now. Excited  :biggrin: :omg:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Sorry, didn't mean to come across as an ass, appreciate the writeups Paul.  The Mr. Big from the songs I've heard I'm sureprised that the Mr Big is slightly positive, might be worth a listen.  Really interested in your thoughts on the Ten mate.

Offline Lowdz

Certainly no offence taken mate  :lol

New Ibanez arrived so the Ten will have to wait  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

What model?

Offline Lowdz

What model?

Only an RG unfortunately  :biggrin:
She's a beauty though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Don't be like that.  Got a couple of RG's myself, my all round fav type of guitar.  I fucking love that finish!!

Offline Lowdz

Don't be like that.  Got a couple of RG's myself, my all round fav type of guitar.  I fucking love that finish!!

First impressions are positive. The pickups are a bit harsher than the Evos on my Jem, and it's a while since I've played a maple fret board. Still, it's good to be able to use the whammy again. The whammy on my Jem is blocked off because the wood under it has split.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Ordered my Michael Schenker tickets!!! 7 rows back on the aisle on Michael's side. Considering it's not until March, got a little WTF from The Lovely Mrs TAC.

Offline Lowdz

Ordered my Michael Schenker tickets!!! 7 rows back on the aisle on Michael's side. Considering it's not until March, got a little WTF from The Lovely Mrs TAC.

Nice. Saw him 4 years or so ago with the Lovedrive set and it was awesome.
UFO are on in Manchester very soon but I'm not well enough to go  :-\
I'm just not destined to ever see Vinnie Moore live  :facepalm:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
We are seeing UFO in September...with Saxon!!

Offline Lowdz

That will be awesome.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

What a double bill!!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Gettin to see Last in Line pretty soon. Looking forward to it. I dig the Heavy Crown record, and obviously, early DIO. Should be fun!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Fiddling around with the UFO Discography framework and I'm listening to Sweet Little Thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiTc9u2N5bc

which the opening riff sounds remarkably familiar to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-RsoCr6k28

Offline Lowdz

Ok, I can confirm that the new Ten album sounds like a Ten album 😀. A bit like reviewing a Axel Rudi Pell album 😀

Currently listening to the Oden Ogan and that's better, though that sounds like an Oden Ogan album 😀 - they have sound and are sticking to it. Some good solos on it for Kade, and some decent power metal riffing.

Edguy special edition should arrive tomorrow hopefully.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll give the Ten a listen then Paul, since the last couple were decent, mainly Albion.

Since you sent me OO in my roulette I have checked out that one particular album To The End and it's really good indeed.  I've had a listen to a bit of teh last one too but this new one sounds great also.  Their guitar work indeed is impressive.

I'm not that fussed with the Edguy, but the DVD I think is worth it alone.

Offline Lowdz

I'll give the Ten a listen then Paul, since the last couple were decent, mainly Albion.

Since you sent me OO in my roulette I have checked out that one particular album To The End and it's really good indeed.  I've had a listen to a bit of teh last one too but this new one sounds great also.  Their guitar work indeed is impressive.

I only really went for it for the DVD. I got the last Rhapsody album box set thinking that had a DVD of a live show - it doesn't, just audio....

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I only really went for it for the DVD. I got the last Rhapsody album box set thinking that had a DVD of a live show - it doesn't, just audio....

Ugh, how annoying.

Yeah, watched a clip on youtube from it, looks legit.  I'm wondering if it's the same show that has I think 4 or 5 songs from the Superheroes DVD, I think it might be.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Luckily, I need a reason to get 'into' Edguy.  I only have Space Police and Rocket Ride, so this package is something that appeals to me.

Unluckily, I'm unemployed and really should be watching where I spend my money.

phsaw.