Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 907726 times)

Offline Lowdz

Some great news here. AFM have just signed Nocturnal Rites with a new album ready to go in September  🤘🤘

Impossibly high hopes for this

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Some great news here. AFM have just signed Nocturnal Rites with a new album ready to go in September  🤘🤘

:panicattack:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

I did that very dance when I read the news  :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You guys digging The Ferrymen album at all? I'm having trouble latching onto it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

You guys digging The Ferrymen album at all? I'm having trouble latching onto it.

Yeah, I like it. Certainly improved with a couple more plays. Not Magnus' best but a good album. Romero is great on it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Some great news here. AFM have just signed Nocturnal Rites with a new album ready to go in September 

I just blew!

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 06:20:29 PM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Can't get a copy so will have to resort online.

Got the Jorn though which I'm not sure on yet if I like it or not.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah, I like it. Certainly improved with a couple more plays. Not Magnus' best but a good album. Romero is great on it.

This.  I'd say it didn't quite meet my expectations.  Excluding the final two tracks, the 2nd half of the album is weaker than the 1st.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

This.  I'd say it didn't quite meet my expectations.  Excluding the final two tracks, the 2nd half of the album is weaker than the 1st.

Oh boy. I couldn't get through the first half.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Oh boy. I couldn't get through the first half.

Why do you think that is mate?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Not sure. That's why I threw it out there. The playing seems very good. The vocals are good. But the songs...I just feel like I've heard this album 100 times before. I kind of just started on it, so I'll give it some more time. Too much talent. But there are plenty of projects where the talent far outweighs the quality of the tracks.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Not sure. That's why I threw it out there. The playing seems very good. The vocals are good. But the songs...I just feel like I've heard this album 100 times before. I kind of just started on it, so I'll give it some more time. Too much talent. But there are plenty of projects where the talent far outweighs the quality of the tracks.

I gotta get onto it.  I can see what you might be saying in regards to what Magnus has been doing though.

I'm feeling that with the Jorn.  Nothing new here whatsoever.  It's decent, but it's hard to see the point.  That's nothing new with a lot of new releases though.  Also, Alex's leads are pissing me off too.  Same thoughtless one dimensional over exaggerated bends that a lot of the time get repeated and repeated it just makes me cringe.  Really novice like playing from him on this one.  Gus G eats him up for breakfast.  I think I'd enjoy it more if Gus played leads on the whole thing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm not even attempting the Jorn.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Me neither.  If Wolf isn't feeling it, then I won't even bother.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Me neither.  If Wolf isn't feeling it, then I won't even bother.

It just has that generic Frontiers feel that we've all come to know and expect, where there's no real vision and it's just randomly written tracks that seem to flow together without much purpose at all.  There's some good stuff and I am giving it a few chances but I'd actually prefer the Dracula thing he did with Trond Holter I think.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I'd actually prefer the Dracula thing he did with Trond Holter I think.

This I can completely agree with - that was very creative and interesting. But I did actually REALLY like the new release. Definitely one of my favourites from June.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

This I can completely agree with - that was very creative and interesting. But I did actually REALLY like the new release. Definitely one of my favourites from June.

Favourites from June?  Damn, I'm struggling listing favourites from the whole year let alone month by month!

And yeah, the Dracula was hard to get into at first, but it grew into a really unique piece of work IMO.  Amazing guitar playing too.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
June included Secret Sphere, The Ferrymen, Jorn, DGM (live), Anthriel and Primal Fear (live).  Granted, I've yet to watch the Primal Fear BluRay.  There's been a lot of good stuff this year so far.  Lots of tripe too, but plenty of excellent releases.

Offline Lowdz

Favourites from June?  Damn, I'm struggling listing favourites from the whole year let alone month by month!

And yeah, the Dracula was hard to get into at first, but it grew into a really unique piece of work IMO.  Amazing guitar playing too.

Trend is excellent. I chatted with him when I saw WigWam a few years ago. Nice guy. Bloody tall to 😀

I really liked the first couple of WigWam albums.

Offline Lowdz

New Ten track. Not listened yet.

https://youtu.be/HqCgx08JAxs

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't know much about Ten, but that was a pretty good song.  Kind of has a Black Star Riders/Thin Lizzy vibe, which is cool.

Offline Lowdz

I don't know much about Ten, but that was a pretty good song.  Kind of has a Black Star Riders/Thin Lizzy vibe, which is cool.

You've got some homework to do this weekend Jason 😀
Listen to Name of the Rose, Spellbound and Far Beyond The World. Some great stuff in there.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll check out those songs right away!

Offline Lowdz

I'll check out those songs right away!

The albums Jason, the albums 😀

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Ten track. Not listened yet.

https://youtu.be/HqCgx08JAxs

Meh.  Heard it all before Gary.

Offline gazinwales

Is Gary Moore credited in the songwriting?  ;D

Offline Lowdz

I like the music, very Lizzy/Gary Moore inspired, but the vocals are reminding me of other Ten songs and as Gaz said, heard it all before.
The problem I think is that Gary's voice is very one dimensional and lacking in range, so everything starts to sound the same.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I like the music, very Lizzy/Gary Moore inspired, but the vocals are reminding me of other Ten songs and as Gaz said, heard it all before.
The problem I think is that Gary's voice is very one dimensional and lacking in range, so everything starts to sound the same.

Well, once you're 14 albums in (I think that's the count), it is hard to be doing new/different stuff - unless you try to astonish people.  How many bands have something new/original/innovative at album #14?

Offline Lowdz

Well, once you're 14 albums in (I think that's the count), it is hard to be doing new/different stuff - unless you try to astonish people.  How many bands have something new/original/innovative at album #14?

This happened long before album 14 though...

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
^ Tru dat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Not album 14 but.....album 13.......DT?!  ;D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I was cranking out the album Metal Heart by Accept. The cd obviously kicks ass but the video for Midnight Mover is just something else. I watched it again and it's truly tough to watch in its entirety. I did it, but it's not a pleasant watch. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check it out.

If you were watching MTV at the time of its release, do you remember if Midnight Mover got much airplay? I can't imagine it got played that much lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I don't remember it at all TBH. They definitely played Balls To The Wall.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
They were really solid live.  That was the tour with Motley Crue,  Y&T, and Helix which didn't play because their instruments didn't show up.  I was so disappointed. I wanted to see them live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
If one of those four couldn't play, Helix would be the pick!