Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 908002 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
A segue from Alice Cooper to Mark Slaughter by Paul is cause for Tim to spontaneous combust, just like Spinal Taps drummer Peter James Bond.
Ironically, I saw Mark Slaughter when Vinnie Vincent Invasion opened for Alice.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I saw Rob Zombie live once on a double bill with Alice Cooper. I couldn't believe it but Alice opened the show and Rob was the headliner!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'll say this though. I saw White Zombie open for Anthrax in 1993 and they were amazing.

Offline cfmoran13

I'll say this though. I saw White Zombie open for Anthrax in 1993 and they were amazing.
Quicksand, White Zombie, Anthrax was a great show.  I saw that at an equestrian center in Maryland.  Everything about that show was amazing... except for the coating of dirt in my throat from the clouds of dirt kicked up in the mosh pits.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Finally checked out the Alice track - pretty cool.  Very old style and I imagine it'll appeal to his early fans.   It's actually a song that I could imagine Ozzy singing - got a very similar vibe to what he might do on a less metallic solo album.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Apparently German "thrash metal legends"  ::)  Accept are coming out to Oz for one show (Melbourne only) in September.   I reckon Wolf in particular is a cool dude but I ain't paying $200 on top of the ticket to have 20 secs with them for a photo.   $80 for the gig?   Maybe.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Apparently German "thrash metal legends"  ::)  Accept are coming out to Oz for one show (Melbourne only) in September.   I reckon Wolf in particular is a cool dude but I ain't paying $200 on top of the ticket to have 20 secs with them for a photo.   $80 for the gig?   Maybe.

These meet and greet packages are becoming a joke.

I went to the Alter Bridge one in April and it was really a complete waste of time and money.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I can't say I've ever paid for a meet and greet with a band before.  But I would gladly pay $200 for a m&g with Rush, Maiden or Priest.  Not sure about Accept though.

I did just pay $100 for a m&g with Chris Jericho in August, I'll see how that turns out.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Maybe I'm the odd one but I never saw the appeal of a meet & greet. If I had the chance to talk in depth for a longer time with my favorite musicians that would maybe interest me. But shake their hands, say hello and have a picture taken and then moving on? No, thanks. And I wouldn't be interested in such a thing, even if I didn't have to pay for it.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Maybe I'm the odd one but I never saw the appeal of a meet & greet. If I had the chance to talk in depth for a longer time with my favorite musicians that would maybe interest me. But shake their hands, say hello and have a picture taken and then moving on? No, thanks. And I wouldn't be interested in such a thing, even if I didn't have to pay for it.

I felt the same way, initially. And my wife and I were steadfast against it. But we opened up a little bit on it if the price is reasonable. She did it for like $30 for Firewind on their last U.S. tour with Apollo as their singer. Then he left, but she got to see him and they spent a lot of time. We experimented doing it for Sevendust on their Bonfires tour a few years back. That was $50 per person. It was totally worth it. Good hang time, signing whatever, smiles all around, etc. We splurged on Alter Bridge on the Fortress tour. I think that was like 100 per person. However, while pricey, I felt what we got was worth it. We got in early, got to see a half-hour soundcheck, got special signed merch (a lithograph if I remember commemorating their anniversary and us as VIPs), and then we did the photo and meet and greet (which was a little rushed, but we got to ask questions and share some laughs).

That's probably the cap, money-wise, we'd ever spend, honestly. But if I see it for $50 or under for other bands, with good exposure and hang time, I'll pick it up, just to guarantee I get some pics with my favorite bands and some stuff signed for the walls. But if it goes above 50 or 60 bucks, it'd really depend on a lot factors for me to pull the trigger on it (who the band is, how much they tour, how much I like them, etc.)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline cfmoran13

I went to a KISS meet and greet back during the Revenge line-up days.  It was to commemorate the release of KISS Konfidential on VHS.  I think it was at the Limelight.  If you bought a KISS CD at Sam Goody's, you got a pass to the meet and greet for a penny.  Sadly, I found this out little tidbit while in line at the event.  I drove into NYC with my little sister to go to the meet and greet.  We were about to leave when someone behind me had 2 extra passes and gave them to us for nothing.  They played the Konfidential video on tons of TV's while you waited.  The four of them stood behind a table, signed what you had, shook your hand and you could take their picture (from across the table).  Afterward, there was a concert with a few bands (not KISS) for like a $15 ticket.  If I'm not mistaken, Meanstreak may have been one of them?

All in all, it was a pretty good deal for a really cheap price.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Brent... did you ever post setlists of the last two podcasts?  I'm most of the way thru the current one - lots of good stuff I didn't know (as usual!).  But, I've been multi-tasking, and unable to really take note of song titles / band names.  Setlist would help.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brent... did you ever post setlists of the last two podcasts?  I'm most of the way thru the current one - lots of good stuff I didn't know (as usual!).  But, I've been multi-tasking, and unable to really take note of song titles / band names.  Setlist would help.

Ditto.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Nice back-to-back of The Poodles and Poverty's No Crime.

Also, did anyone else find the volume level of the Podcast lower than usual?  Even the tracks themselves.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Also, did anyone else find the volume level of the Podcast lower than usual?  Even the tracks themselves.

What?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Gotta be honest, most of Brent's podcast I have to turn things up really loud.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That's cuz it's so mmmmmeeeeeeetttttaaaallllllll :metal :metal

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Gotta be honest, most of Brent's podcast I have to turn things up really loud.

Yeah, the talkie talkie parts have always been a little low.  But this time around, I had to crank my speakers to about 80% of max just to hear at a normal level.

#expectingsmartasscomments

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
so I think early on he had some issues with the podcast being too loud causing some of the louder songs to be distorted.  That has been corrected and the podcast is more uniform in loudness, but maybe he's over-corrected a bit causing an overall low volume.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
here's the April podcast track listing:

The Angels - Take a Long Line
Rose Tattoo - Rock 'n' Roll Outlaw
AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
1st Avenue - Help Me Out
21 Guns - These Eyes
220 Volt - The Harder They Come
48 Crash - Take Me to the Top
707 - Hell or High Water
Accept - Break the Ice
Aces High - Never Again
Aces High - In a Wink of an Eye
Airrace - First One Over the Line
Alcatrazz - General Hospital
Alice Cooper - The World Needs Guts
Alien - Brave New Love
The Almighty - Bandaged Knees
Andy Timmons - Carpe Diem
Angelica - Only A Man
Angry - Motorbike Song
Arcade - Nothin' to Lose
Arch Rival - Rock The Night Away
Arch Rival - Fast Lane to a Slow Pain
Asgard - Courage-Land of the Dark Wood
Autograph - Turn Up the Radio
Aviator - Through The Night
Axel Rudi Pell - Unchain the Thunder
Backbone Slide - House Of Thunder
Babylon A.D. - The Kid Goes Wild
Bad Company - Fearless
Bad Habit - Hunger
Bad Moon Rising - Dark Side of Babylon
Bad Moon Rising - Blood on the Streets
Badd Boyz - Leave It to the Law
Badd Boyz - I Don't Want to Hear Your Heart Break
Badlands - Hard Driver
Baltimoore - Lucky River
Bang Tango - Someone Like You
Bangalore Choir - All or Nothin'
Banshee - All Alone
Barren Cross - Out of Time
Baton Rouge - Hot Blood Movin'
Beggars & Thieves - No More Broken Dreams
Biloxi - Run for Your Life
Black Bambi - Broken Mirror
Black Roses - Soldiers of the Night
Black Roses - Paradise (We're on Our Way)
Blackfoot - Drivin' Fool
Blackthorne - We Won't Be Forgotten
Blonz - Miracles
Blue Blud - Don't Turn Out The Light
Blue Murder - Valley of the Kings
Blue Tears - Thunder in the Night
Bon Jovi - Roulette
Bone Machine - Don't Mean Shit
Bonfire - Never Surrender
Bonham - Wait For You
The Brave - Big World
Brazen Abbot - Eye of the Storm
Breaker - Ten Seconds In
Brian McDonald - When the Lightning Strikes
Britny Fox - Closer to Your Love
Brother Cane - Got No Shame
Winger would be better!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
and the most recent one:

Steve Stevens - Atomic Playboys
Warrior - Fighting For The Earth
Warrior - We Are One
Helloween - Sole Survivor
Megadeth - Hangar 18
Savatage - He Carves His Stone
Green Death - Manufacturing Evil
Judas Priest - Reckless
Doctor Butcher - The Altar
Kiss - Cold Gin
Kiss - Black Diamond
Kiss - I Want You
Suspyre - Blood and Passion
Tad Morose - Morning Sun
Symphony X - Electric Messiah
Riot - Bring the Hammer Down
Iron Maiden - Killers
Rage - True Face in Everyone
Morifade - World of Steel
Morifade - Reborn
Morifade - In Martyria
Morifade - Words I Never Speak
Morifade - Panopticon
Morifade - Memory's End
Morifade - As Time Decides
Elegy - I'm No Fool
The Poodles - Before I Die
Poverty's No Crime - Access Denied
W.A.S.P. - I Wanna Be Somebody
Michael Schenker Group - Looking For Love
Def Leppard - On Through The Night
Demon - Prey
Starblind - A Dying Son
Portrait - Lily
Alpha Tiger - Beneath the Surface
Holy Soldier - Stranger
King James - Hard Road to Go
Chris Barker - No Way Out
Winger would be better!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Rock on with your bad self!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, what do you rate those three albums from Brother Cane? They were a pretty solid rock band in the 90's and had a bit of a classic rock bluesy sound. Maybe an updated Badlands sound. They had the s/t with Got No Shame on it, then Seeds and Wishpool. I didn't really care for the s/t that much but the second and third were good. "And Fools Shine On" and "The Crow Flies" were probably my favourite.

Offline cfmoran13

Brent, what do you rate those three albums from Brother Cane? They were a pretty solid rock band in the 90's and had a bit of a classic rock bluesy sound. Maybe an updated Badlands sound. They had the s/t with Got No Shame on it, then Seeds and Wishpool. I didn't really care for the s/t that much but the second and third were good. "And Fools Shine On" and "The Crow Flies" were probably my favourite.
I'd have to say that the first album is probably my least favorite, too.  Seemed a bit forced.  The 2nd and 3rd albums were both really solid.  I got to see them on the Wishpool tour at the Birch Hill in NJ.  Great show.  It's a shame these guys never got huge.

Offline Lowdz

Too grungy for me, in a Creed/Nickleback sort of way, though I liked that Got No Shame song.

Offline Lowdz

Frontiers have announced a new project with Ripper, Chris Caffery, Mark Zonder, produced by Roy Z. Might give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. Though I'm no great fan of Ripper. He's got a great metal voice, he's just sang on some shit albums.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Frontiers have announced a new project with Ripper, Chris Caffery, Mark Zonder, produced by Roy Z. Might give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. Though I'm no great fan of Ripper. He's got a great metal voice, he's just sang on some shit albums.

I'm quite interested in hearing how this one turns out.  Besides that latest Charred album, Ripper hasn't been releasing much in the last couple of years.  He had mentioned that the "Project Rock" band actually recorded their debut album, but it got shelved for whatever reason.  But a Ripper/Caffery/Zonder w Roy Z combo sounds very good to me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

That's a really interesting trio.  Zonder one of my fav drummers and Ripper has the pipes.  Caffery is an amazing shredder too.  The first couple of his solo albums show some real amazing lead playing.  Roy Z hey?!  I hope Del Vicchio doesn't try and do the pop in on Roy while this is happening.

Offline Lowdz

That's a really interesting trio.  Zonder one of my fav drummers and Ripper has the pipes.  Caffery is an amazing shredder too.  The first couple of his solo albums show some real amazing lead playing.  Roy Z hey?!  I hope Del Vicchio doesn't try and do the pop in on Roy while this is happening.

I think we should picket the studio to keep him away  :biggrin:

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.

I missed that Zonder was a part of this. Wow, very cool. Three of my favorite musicians together. I wonder who is going to be on bass?

Yeah, I hope Del Vecchio stays far away.

Any release date or more info on the project?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Lowdz

I missed that Zonder was a part of this. Wow, very cool. Three of my favorite musicians together. I wonder who is going to be on bass?

The guy from Death I believe.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

The guy from Death I believe.

Steve Di Giorgio?  Sweet.  Makes sense since he and Tim are in Charred Walls together.

Offline Lowdz

Yes, that's the dude.