Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 908931 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
So like 25 years later, after just ignoring it for a long time, I finally listened to FIGHT. I'll be going out to the local used store tonight after work with some cash...

To be fair, I only REALLY got into Priest a few years ago. It took some time for some reason...after seeing them a couple of times, and seeing Halford solo. I now really enjoy Priest, and decided to branch out. So it wasn't like I didn't know FIGHT existed, I just ignored them. And I am going to correct that. Some damn good stuff...

War of Words is the better of the two for sure.  I only really gave my attention to War of Words and don't remember much about ASDS to be honest.  I might get that one back out and have a listen.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
War Of Words is awesome! Saw Fight in a small club open for Anthrax in 1993  Saw one dude get the most bloodied I ever saw in a pit.
We watched Anthrax from the balcony upstairs and Scott Travis stood right next to us.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
WOOOOOOOOO!  :metal

Happy 10,000th Jay

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I keep getting a 404 error whenever I reply to THIS thread.  :zeltar:

Happens everytime I quote JJ's 10000th... all I wanted to say was "Yeah bitch"
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 07:30:10 PM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
 :metal :metal :metal :metal

Now happy 10,001!!!!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
New Alice Cooper single is on Spotify apparently Tim
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I haven't paid much attention to anything new from Alice Cooper after buying Welcome 2 My Nightmare and thinking it was a hunk of junk.  But this sounds interesting with the original members playing on it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
New Alice Cooper single is on Spotify apparently Tim

On it, bro!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I can't find it!!! :censored

Supposedly being streamed on June 9th, which it is in Australia, but not here yet??

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I can't find it!!! :censored

Supposedly being streamed on June 9th, which it is in Australia, but not here yet??

Oh man...............this song is the most amazing thing he has ever done :neverusethis:

Just kidding - as you said it is likely due to time difference.   It's 1.30 in the afternoon here.

Will check it out and report back.

EDIT - we're not getting this one first.  Must debut in US on 9th June your time.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 10:04:06 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline cfmoran13

War of Words is the better of the two for sure.  I only really gave my attention to War of Words and don't remember much about ASDS to be honest.  I might get that one back out and have a listen.
Like has already been said, War of Words is definitely better than ASDS.  It's just more of a straight-ahead metal album.  To me, ASDS sounds a little more dated, like they were definitely going for a more modern ("of the times") sound/feel.  Did they achieve that?  Sure.  Did it work for them?  At times.  Definitely not the whole way through the album.

Time to listen to some Fight.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
What's the opionion of Halfords other band, Two? That cd was a head scratcher to me and didn't sound like Rob at all. I think that was the point and it was so far removed from what made Rob sound like Rob. I didn't like it at all and ended up tossing it

Offline cfmoran13

What's the opionion of Halfords other band, Two? That cd was a head scratcher to me and didn't sound like Rob at all. I think that was the point and it was so far removed from what made Rob sound like Rob. I didn't like it at all and ended up tossing it
Never heard the album at all.  I know just about anyone who's heard it says it's awful.  I've heard John 5 say that there's a different mix of that album where it's more of a metal feel and he'd love for that version to be released.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I keep getting a 404 error whenever I reply to THIS thread.  :zeltar:

Happens everytime I quote JJ's 10000th... all I wanted to say was "Yeah bitch"

We all had that problem too mate.  just too much awesomeness in that post!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Here's the Cooper boys;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF_w79N418Y

Didn't do much for me, but as you know I'm not a big Cooper guy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0BdFmZrTN8

Unisonic live.  Live cd has 12 tracks but the DVD has 6?!?!

Kiske sounds good but the solos are fucked.  I think some obvious overdubs but I didn't watch it too closely.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
I see Amazon has the live CD. Is there a package I am missing with the DVD? Nevermind, the 12.98 version was just updated to add that it has a second disc. That's it! Pre-ordered, along with Hansen & Friends. Bunch of good stuff!

In regard to Fight, I just went ahead and bought the Rob Halford box set with all of Fight, Two, and Halford. I only had Resurrection and I think one other disc, so everything was "new" to me. It had a note that was hand-signed by Rob in silver sharpie. Very cool. I had 35 bucks of credit, so the set only cost me 60 bucks.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 11:12:29 AM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
In regard to Fight, I just went ahead and bought the Rob Halford box set with all of Fight, Two, and Halford. I only had Resurrection and I think one other disc, so everything was "new" to me. It had a note that was hand-signed by Rob in silver sharpie. Very cool. I had 35 bucks of credit, so the set only cost me 60 bucks.

Fight is awesome - I only got into them after Halford's Live Insurrection came out with a few Fight tracks on it and I found a used copy of War of Words that same year.   That is a slamming album from start to finish and really doesn't let up on the heaviness.  The demo disc is pretty neat, with more of a raw, aggressive sound to those songs, rather than the polished album versions.  I tend to listen to the album versions more though.

I'd love that box set, but I'm only missing the last two Fight releases, Two, Winter Songs, and the non-Insurrection live albums.

PS:  Listen to The Mower on Made of Metal.   :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Made of Metal is a pretty good album but nowhere near the metal monsters that Resurrection and Crucible are. The Mower is definitely the standout track but it doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the album.

Offline cfmoran13

It's crazy to think that Russ Parrish from Fight ended up being Satchel from Steel Panther.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
It's crazy to think that Russ Parrish from Fight ended up being Satchel from Steel Panther.

Wow I never knew that

Offline Lowdz

Wow I never knew that

Now if only someone made a Steel Panther album with sensible lyrics.

Offline Lowdz

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=nF_w79N418Y

Alice song. Not listened yet.

The beginning sounds like Ozzy's Believer.

I like it. This album is already better than his last two. If this is the best song, I'll be disappoint, but I like the direction this is in.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Lowdz

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=nF_w79N418Y

Alice song. Not listened yet.

The beginning sounds like Ozzy's Believer.

I like it. This album is already better than his last two. If this is the best song, I'll be disappoint, but I like the direction this is in.

Hmm. Average old school Alice. Nothing to get excited about, but I don't expect to either. Last album I liked was Last Temptation.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Hmm. Average old school Alice. Nothing to get excited about, but I don't expect to either. Last album I liked was Last Temptation.

Last album I liked was The Eyes Of Alice Cooper. And Dirty Diamonds was OK.

I'll take "average old school Alice" everytime. Just don't give me something that sucks!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That Alice Cooper song has a pretty cool vibe to it, but overall it didn't do much for me.  I would be interested in hearing some other songs from it along with Tim's review.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That Alice Cooper song has a pretty cool vibe to it, but overall it didn't do much for me.  I would be interested in hearing some other songs from it along with Tim's review.

I think you nailed it, Jason. The vibe is much better than the actual song, and it makes me really look forward to the rest of the album.

Alice Cooper has done so many things, anyone merely dipping their toes into it may be hard to hook. But if you can take what you like and leave the rest, that's cool too.

Offline Lowdz

Anyone heard the new Mark Slaughter album. Yeah, close your ears Tim  :lol
It's pretty good though he sounds like Michael Starr. This could be the Steel Panther with normal lyrics I was asking for. Stick Satchel on guitar and were there.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :lol

I hate his voice!

Offline Lowdz

I wasn't a fan back in the day. It's ok n this as the high pitched screech is gone.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
A segue from Alice Cooper to Mark Slaughter by Paul is cause for Tim to spontaneous combust, just like Spinal Taps drummer Peter James Bond.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Anyone heard the new Mark Slaughter album. Yeah, close your ears Tim  :lol
It's pretty good though he sounds like Michael Starr. This could be the Steel Panther with normal lyrics I was asking for. Stick Satchel on guitar and were there.

I spun it once. I have always been a fan of his voice. I enjoyed this album well enough, but not well enough to go back to it. Too much other fantastic stuff of late warrants my listening attention.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion