Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 906949 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
   My first concert (KISS @ MSG, 12/16/85) was $12.50 for the ticket.  I miss those days!

*consults The TAC Book*

Saw that tour 6 days later at The Providence Civic Center. $13.75.

Got pics too!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
And I saw them the day before you Tim in the Centrum.  I remember being disappointed that they played the same older songs on that tour from the Animalize tour.  I was so glad to see variety on the HITS tour.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I couldn't believe how short the show was, and they played Won't Get Fooled Again. I was like.."I wanna hear some KISS!!"
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

So in my basement, I have this giant blue bin filled with old stuff. It has all of my concert pics, ticket stubs. That sort of thing.
Thankfully, I've been such a packrat, I've managed to hold onto all of my ticket stubs.  I have all but maybe 5-6 that were shows where they either took them or didn't have physical tix.  I have them in 3 books specifically made for concert tix.  I have any picks gotten from shows alongside the corresponding tickets.  They're cool to look through every now and then.  My first concert (KISS @ MSG, 12/16/85) was $12.50 for the ticket.  I miss those days!

I've never bothered to save my ticket stubs. Would really have helped because my memory is shit and I often can't remember who I've seen.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I couldn't believe how short the show was, and they played Won't Get Fooled Again. I was like.."I wanna hear some KISS!!"

Yeah, I felt the same.  I even passed on the Crazy Nights tour.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cfmoran13

Only being twelve years old and it being my first concert, I didn't know any better.  Looking back on it, I've come to see how much of a joke the concert length was.  But, I got to see Gene breathe fire and see the fireworks in person. 

As someone else said, the tour for HITS was lightyears better.  That was them going back into the vault for the first time in years.  Everything about that show, except maybe the opening band Little Caesar, was amazing.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone

Gene realized it was more cost effective to play shorter sets.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So in my box, I found this gem. I didn't even remember having this picture:

August 14th, 1991
Great Woods
Mansfield, MA

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
[
I've never bothered to save my ticket stubs. Would really have helped because my memory is shit and I often can't remember who I've seen.

I have a few but wish I had kept more.  We have only had a small fraction of the bands come out here that you guys had the chance to see - I would've also been a bit young for most of them in their prime anyway I suppose.   I love Australia but I do envy those who were old enough to attend gigs like these and living in the US/Europe.

My plan now is to eventually get them all scanned in. Going to crop out some arms and heads. Hopefully as I scan them, I will post a few. Have some special ones for you, Kade! ;D

I have very little in the way of photos too as at most times I either didn't own a decent camera or they weren't allowed at venues.   Or I was on the floor and didn't trust my ability to keep a camera in one piece.

So in my basement, I have this giant blue bin filled with old stuff. It has all of my concert pics, ticket stubs. That sort of thing. Today I finally grabbed it and organized my pictures and threw out some junk. Over the years, my pics had all become mixed up in giant piles.

Sorry to hear about the piles Tim .

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm listening to Supremecy now and it's really good, but no match on LOD, not even close really IMO.  So much Yngwie Fire and Ice feel on this one too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm listening to Supremecy now and it's really good, but no match on LOD, not even close really IMO.  So much Yngwie Fire and Ice feel on this one too.

I was a bit disappointed in Supremacy initially but did find that it improved with time.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Quote from: wolfking link=topic=42370.msg2324206#msg2324206date=1496576452
That Riot V was awesome.

Just got to this point in the podcast. Yes, that's an awesome album.

And Maiden!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I was a bit disappointed in Supremacy initially but did find that it improved with time.

Had a listen to Lost and I liked that more.  Nothing compares to LOD though.  Listening to that again, what a find, thanks Brent, we love you.

Quote from: wolfking link=topic=42370.msg2324206#msg2324206date=1496576452
That Riot V was awesome.

Just got to this point in the podcast. Yes, that's an awesome album.

And Maiden!!!

What album was that song off boys, it was a cracker!?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Kade:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVAZHdmRytM

Here......We.....Fucking......Go!!!

This is just honest, no bullshit heavy metal, good stuff, hard to fault for what's on offer here.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Riot is such an underrated band.  The only albums I ever got from them were Restless Breed, Fire Down Under and Thundersteel.  I've heard other songs, which are all great too.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Listening to that again, what a find, thanks Brent, we love you.

Glad you're enjoying the show Kade.

:)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Fuck yeah, love that shit from Fenech, what a champ of a bloke!!  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Riot is such an underrated band.  The only albums I ever got from them were Restless Breed, Fire Down Under and Thundersteel.  I've heard other songs, which are all great too.

I only have these two, but both are very good.  They are just one of those bands with so many albums it can be a bit overwhelming to dive into and spend a lot of time listening to.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
great podcast.  Big fan of the metal of course.  Started off a little shaky with whatever that was, but the run from Helloween to Doctor Butcher was great.  That Green Death track was awesome.

Symphony X!  Just about the perfect band for me.  That Portrait track was pretty cool.  Can't say I was a fan of the earlier Morifade tracks, but the Domi<>Nation tracks were good.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

I only have these two, but both are very good.  They are just one of those bands with so many albums it can be a bit overwhelming to dive into and spend a lot of time listening to.

From what I've seen and heard, Fire Down Under is their definitive album.  For me, its the best I've heard from the band.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Narita is a must, as is Riot Live, the one with Guy Speranza.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Listening to this Elegy again, what an album.  Listened to Lost again and that was a lot better the second time.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Narita is a must, as is Riot Live, the one with Guy Speranza.

Speaking of Riot

https://youtu.be/Cq-BAf6CJYA

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I've never heard any song from Narita. I'll check it out today, lots of good reviews for that one along with Tims recommendation!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
JJ, check out any of the following tracks.

Waiting For The Taking.
49er
Here We Come Again
Road Racin'
White Rock

Offline Lowdz

I've never heard any song from Narita. I'll check it out today, lots of good reviews for that one along with Tims recommendation!

What??? You mean you have resisted the lure of the awesome artwork?  :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
So like 25 years later, after just ignoring it for a long time, I finally listened to FIGHT. I'll be going out to the local used store tonight after work with some cash...

To be fair, I only REALLY got into Priest a few years ago. It took some time for some reason...after seeing them a couple of times, and seeing Halford solo. I now really enjoy Priest, and decided to branch out. So it wasn't like I didn't know FIGHT existed, I just ignored them. And I am going to correct that. Some damn good stuff...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
JJ, check out any of the following tracks.

Waiting For The Taking.
49er
Here We Come Again
Road Racin'
White Rock

As expected some good stuff!  Riot has some of the most ridiculous album covers I've seen, but Narita just might take the cake.

As far as Fight goes, even though I'm a big Halford fan, I was just a casual fan of Fight.  I liked War of Words much better than Small Deadly Space; which I could never get into at all.  I liked the Fight songs alot more when Halford played them live on Live Insurrection.

Offline Lowdz

Fight did nothing for me. Too heavy. I got the impression he was going for a Machine Head sound so I had zero interest in that.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Rob was really trying for the Pantera sound.  I think he is way better off singing with traditional heavy metal.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Rob was really trying for the Pantera sound.  I think he is way better off singing with traditional heavy metal.

I really dig Pantera, so the appeal is certainly there, personally.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Lowdz

I really dig Pantera, so the appeal is certainly there, personally.

I couldn't stand them either.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Post 10,000!!!
 :metal :metal :metal :metal