Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 906917 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Hmm - seems Danny Vaughn was in town last night and I didn't even know.  Did a show with The Ultimate Eagles in Melbourne.  Looks like tix for this Eagles cover band were about the same as what I would pay for a KISS concert :lol    So I guess I wouldn't have gone even if I did know.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Danny Vaughn playing with an Eagles tribute?  The fuck? haha.

Good to see the Jorn is sounding like a big step up.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, those first 3 random Morifade songs were okay but nothing special if I'm being honest, but those tracks from Domination were good, like really fucking good actually. 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, those first 3 random Morifade songs were okay but nothing special if I'm being honest, but those tracks from Domination were good, like really fucking good actually.

Cool. I love those songs too and unusually for me the drumming is also a real attraction. As I said in the show the real intention was to feature Domi<>nation but I know that some people prefer those early albums (and they do show hints of what's to come) so thought I would give that taster.   
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone

I've always been a fan of Tyketto, but that just doesn't fit. :lol   Then again hearing Garth Brooks do KISS totally surprised me sounding as good as it did.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Cool. I love those songs too and unusually for me the drumming is also a real attraction. As I said in the show the real intention was to feature Domi<>nation but I know that some people prefer those early albums (and they do show hints of what's to come) so thought I would give that taster.

Definitely enjoyed the Domination tracks more.  You're right too, they sound fantastic, Andy did a great job here.  Probably next to impossible to get it on cd I'm guessing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Fuck yeah, that Elegy was balls out!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
The only thing I know about rap is that the "C" is silent.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
rapc   :justjen

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

:lol

You could play the big hit from the West Texas Rednecks, "Rap is Crap" to emphasize that

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

:lol

You could play the big hit from the West Texas Rednecks, "Rap is Crap" to emphasize that

I had not heard that before.   They're pretty crap too but not as crap as rap  :lol
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 07:01:58 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

I've always been a fan of Tyketto, but that just doesn't fit. :lol   Then again hearing Garth Brooks do KISS totally surprised me sounding as good as it did.

There's a lot of country influences on the second Tyketto album and Danny's Vaughn albums so I can see it.

Offline Lowdz

So I've listened to the two new Mr Big tracks, and the last couple of reunion albums. Has Eric's voice gone or is the production just shit?
Everything sounds dull and muddy. Needs some top end from the guitars.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k2XbrucOnC8

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, not sure if you said it before the song, but is taht Elegy song a fair representation of the album?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Ian Parry Elegy is excellent.  Not sure which song/album is on the Podcast, but I remember that an Elegy (pre Ian Parry) made Brent's Top 50.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Ian Parry Elegy is excellent.  Not sure which song/album is on the Podcast, but I remember that an Elegy (pre Ian Parry) made Brent's Top 50.

I'm No Fool from Labyrinth of Dreams.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, not sure if you said it before the song, but is taht Elegy song a fair representation of the album?

Yeah - definitely.  That was the single so probably one of the shorter , more catchy songs but the answer is yes.   If you like that you should at least get Labyrinth of Dreams and Supremacy.

Another one you may like from the debut was The Grande Change

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd4Cx4aMU98
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 04:59:31 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah - definitely.  That was the single so probably one of the shorter , more catchy songs but the answer is yes.   If you like that you should at least get Labyrinth of Dreams and Supremacy.

Fuck yeah, insane soloing!

It does give me an old school DT feel with like Tate/Midnight style vox, really good shit.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Fuck yeah, insane soloing!

It does give me an old school DT feel with like Tate/Midnight style vox, really good shit.

Just checking this out now. Damn! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
As Chad said it was in my DTF Top 50 , likely with these exact same songs linked.......  :P

EDIT : Looks like I featured the 2nd album Supremacy for some reason .  The debut had more impact but either way - both strong albums
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 07:47:14 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm sorry if I don't have your Top 50 f'n memorized! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Same haha.

I'm listening to the full album on youtube now, it's awesome. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'll hit it tomorrow. Got the day off.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I wasn't suggesting you should   :P

I was assuming though that if you loved an album/linked tracks in someone's Top 50 that you would likely have followed up and know of them .  That's the whole point of following Top 50's aint it?

You were probably too busy checking out the Winger links.  I understand  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, worth checking out the other two older albums from Elegy?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I would initially focus on the first two (debut and Supremacy) -  the cover to Lost was always a favourite but from memory some of it got a bit too "poppy" for my liking.  Having said that if you like the guitar playing I would check that out too - it does have a couple of great tracks on it.

From there the first album with Ian Parry (State of Mind) regains the heavy edge and is a ripper.   The follow up (Manifestation Of Fear) is a concept album with 2 or 3 great songs but other than that I wasn't a huge fan.

After that the main guitarist and founder of the band left and was replaced with Patrick Rondat who IMHO should've stuck to instrumentals......I know Chad differs on this but to me the songs just aren't there in those last couple of albums.

So.......if I were to buy 3 it would be Labyrinth of Dreams, Supremacy and State of Mind.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll just check them all out I think!!  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I wasn't suggesting you should   :P

I was assuming though that if you loved an album/linked tracks in someone's Top 50 that you would likely have followed up and know of them .  That's the whole point of following Top 50's aint it?

You were probably too busy checking out the Winger links.  I understand  ;D

Brent, my brain is only so big.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Of the Parry-era albums, I mostly agree with Brent's assessment

State of Mind > Forbidden Fruit > Principles of Pain > Manifestations of Fear

Brent, my brain is only so big.

You sure it's your brain that gets big listening to Winger?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Shrinkage. Total shrinkage!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Shrinkage. Total shrinkage!

Opposite for me!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

There's a lot of country influences on the second Tyketto album and Danny's Vaughn albums so I can see it.

True. I think the different vocal styles throw me off. Though, anything is possible. Slayer doing In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That Portrait was awesome.  I liked the song you sent in my roulette Brent but that track from what I remember was better.  Definitely have to check it out.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So in my basement, I have this giant blue bin filled with old stuff. It has all of my concert pics, ticket stubs. That sort of thing. Today I finally grabbed it and organized my pictures and threw out some junk. Over the years, my pics had all become mixed up in giant piles.
My plan now is to eventually get them all scanned in. Going to crop out some arms and heads. Hopefully as I scan them, I will post a few. Have some special ones for you, Kade! ;D

Offline cfmoran13

So in my basement, I have this giant blue bin filled with old stuff. It has all of my concert pics, ticket stubs. That sort of thing.
Thankfully, I've been such a packrat, I've managed to hold onto all of my ticket stubs.  I have all but maybe 5-6 that were shows where they either took them or didn't have physical tix.  I have them in 3 books specifically made for concert tix.  I have any picks gotten from shows alongside the corresponding tickets.  They're cool to look through every now and then.  My first concert (KISS @ MSG, 12/16/85) was $12.50 for the ticket.  I miss those days!