Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 907074 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, I know exactly what you are saying about the vocals.  In the youtube clips, he does sound just a little off, but in the car through a different mix he sounds pretty decent.  The Azreal was the first clip I heard through shitty speakers and at times I was almost cringing to be honest.  I don't really rate the guys singing, but I think it's such straight forward power metal and the vocals are almost borderline ridiculously overblown that they are so over the top at times, they are good, if that makes sense.  Just balls out overblown power metal.

I guess the louder you play it the better it is.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Unlike the vocals his earrings (Mastery vid) aren't "so bad they're good."  They're just bad - I wanted to reach through the screen , do him a favour and rip them out :biggrin:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Unlike the vocals his earring aren't "so bad they're good."  They're just bad - I wanted to reach through the screen , do him a favour and rip them out :biggrin:

His stupid fucking necklace ain't any better either.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I spun the Lancer/Mastery album a couple of times earlier in the year.  "Avantasia wannabe" was the comment I tagged to it.  B- is how I rated it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I spun the Lancer/Mastery album a couple of times earlier in the year.  "Avantasia wannabe" was the comment I tagged to it.  B- is how I rated it.

Did you mean Edguy?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Did you mean Edguy?

Did I type "Edguy"?   :D ;)
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Did you mean Edguy?

Fair enough, I just don't get the Avantasia comparison apart from the singer sounding a bit like Tobi.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Did you mean Edguy?

Fair enough, I just don't get the Avantasia comparison apart from the singer sounding a bit like Tobi.

That was probably enough.  If I was more of an Edguy fan, I probably would've thought "Edguy wannabe".

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Sick of gambling on things so gonna spend the next 3 hrs checking out albums I pretty much know I'll like.............Crazy Lixx , Night Flight Orchestra and The Ferrymen  (got that one a couple of days early)  :metal
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I wasn't all that rapt in the Crazy Lixx Kade  - rated it well below s/t and New Religion.   I was finding it very samey...........it really needed the (good) ballad to mix things up (If It's Love) and that came just in time to keep me going.   I thought Snakes in Paradise was pretty rubbish.   

XIII was my fave I think.   Solid album but a little disappointing compared to what I was expecting.

On to The Ferrymen.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I wasn't all that rapt in the Crazy Lixx Kade  - rated it well below s/t and New Religion.   I was finding it very samey...........it really needed the (good) ballad to mix things up (If It's Love) and that came just in time to keep me going.   I thought Snakes in Paradise was pretty rubbish.   

XIII was my fave I think.   Solid album but a little disappointing compared to what I was expecting.

On to The Ferrymen.

Haha, no surprise mate.  Dunno why I'm digging it so much, but I can see what you mean, it doesn't have the variety of the self titled.  The songs can flow into each other.

Interested to see if the Ferrymen can get your attention Brent.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I listened to the Pyramaze in the car and I change my mind, it's fucking brilliant.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Eagerly awaiting the bad news from Brent on the Ferrymen.  ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I gave this disc two listens and I will say that I like it better than Harem Scarem and Crazy Lixx..........but not by a huge margin.   I was tiring of it by track 8 or 9 and Track 10 (Eyes of The Sky) bored me to tears as it was all too samey by then.   As is often the case the album is 3-4 songs too long.

What it does have that the others don't is a run of 3-4 songs that I really liked.  Nothing in there that has enough identity/originality to be a future classic but the run of songs from 3-6 is very good.    Track 3 (Fool You All) I like despite knowing I probably shouldn't - the riff is something any guitarist worth their salt (esp post Bad Boys by Sykes) could come up with in  10 seconds , but I found myself enjoying it anyway :lol    My favourite is Track 6 (One Heart) as it has a few more twists and turns ...........a bit more thought behind it and a nice chorus

I'd rate it 84% which is one of my better ratings in recent times.   It's about as good as you'll get from one of these projects done by email etc...

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I gave this disc two listens and I will say that I like it better than Harem Scarem and Crazy Lixx..........

:lol

Really? No kidding?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I gave this disc two listens and I will say that I like it better than Harem Scarem and Crazy Lixx..........

:lol

Really? No kidding?

I will also say that as I was typing that I was wondering how long it would take for a TAC takedown  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I gave this disc two listens and I will say that I like it better than Harem Scarem and Crazy Lixx..........but not by a huge margin.   I was tiring of it by track 8 or 9 and Track 10 (Eyes of The Sky) bored me to tears as it was all too samey by then.   As is often the case the album is 3-4 songs too long.

What it does have that the others don't is a run of 3-4 songs that I really liked.  Nothing in there that has enough identity/originality to be a future classic but the run of songs from 3-6 is very good.    Track 3 (Fool You All) I like despite knowing I probably shouldn't - the riff is something any guitarist worth their salt (esp post Bad Boys by Sykes) could come up with in  10 seconds , but I found myself enjoying it anyway :lol    My favourite is Track 6 (One Heart) as it has a few more twists and turns ...........a bit more thought behind it and a nice chorus

I'd rate it 84% which is one of my better ratings in recent times.   It's about as good as you'll get from one of these projects done by email etc...

Again, pretty much what I was expecting, but 84 is a good score for you Brent, so it could get a mr.com score from me.  :biggrin:

The bolded line I think sums up what I was saying a couple of pages back when Tim was asking about his other work.  Allen/Lande, teh first Starbreaker and Last Tribe all had something special, creativity, a spark, excitement and energy and I think Magnus has fallen into the rut that most others have, and that line Brent sums up my thoughts, even though I still rate his stuff highly.  He's slipped off and in that rut, but he's still standing on top of every other artist who are in the hole deeper and it's keeping his head well above water.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
For another twist, I'm checking out the Apollo again and yeah, don't see what you are seeing Brent with this one.  Nothing grabs my attention, but damn I love this guys voice.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
For another twist, I'm checking out the Apollo again and yeah, don't see what you are seeing Brent with this one.  Nothing grabs my attention, but damn I love this guys voice.

Fair enough ............I know that most reviewers were more of your view than mine.   Not an all time classic by any means and had many generic elements but I at least heard a degree of thought and enough originality to separate it from the pack in that regard.  It is a fine line and these days anything where I detect an album that doesn't sound thrown together possibly impresses me more than it would've done "back in the good old days."

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Fair enough ............I know that most reviewers were more of your view than mine.   Not an all time classic by any means and had many generic elements but I at least heard a degree of thought and enough originality to separate it from the pack in that regard.  It is a fine line and these days anything where I detect an album that doesn't sound thrown together possibly impresses me more than it would've done "back in the good old days."

Indeed.  I think it just comes down to the individual in a lot of cases.

Listening to the Pretty Maids from last year now.  More of the same but really enjoyable.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Checked out the Striker self titled album from this year.  I remember liking them from Brent's best of the rest 2016 podcast I think it was.  Haven't checked the 2016 one out, but this new one is a bit of a cracker.  Really short which I don't have an issue with, to the point, melodic, great energy and great performances.   Solid outing.  I love that they didn't feel the need or pressure to bloat the album out so it makes you lose interest.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Striker are cool .........usually only have a couple of real killers per album but that's better than most and rarely any real duds.

Just giving the next podcast one final listen and you'll have a link in the morning .  This one is ballad free and close enough to hair metal free ..........for the metalheads who found the hard rock one a bit light on :2metal:

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent & Bens bic lighter free podcast!!

Offline Lowdz

I enjoyed it. Not played it since it first came out though.

About what I expected from the Ferrymen by the sounds of it Brent. Wasn't wowed by those first couple of tracks they put out.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Striker are cool .........usually only have a couple of real killers per album but that's better than most and rarely any real duds.

Just giving the next podcast one final listen and you'll have a link in the morning .  This one is ballad free and close enough to hair metal free ..........for the metalheads who found the hard rock one a bit light on :2metal:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Here you go guys.

https://yadi.sk/d/vKRZGE0k3JkKHt

As per usual a link is in the OP too.

it's a bit easier putting together these "non-list" shows , hence I've got this one done pretty quick.   As per normal for the regular shows it's a mix of classics and unknowns.   Mostly towards the heavier end of things as already mentioned.  Includes a feature power metal band and a little KISS special from Ben.

Hope you enjoy listening as much as I am  :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Awesome Brent!

Going to download it overnight so when I get home tomorrow afternoon, it'll be ready!-

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Downloading now and will start listening tonight!!  :metal

Damn, I've got to go out so gonna have to download it tonight :(
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 07:30:12 PM by wolfking »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Download it while you're out! It'll be ready when you get back. I'm going to download it while I sleep.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
On holidays but had to pop out, so I snuck in to work and downloaded on the work PC.  It's going on a USB right now and then I'm going to sneak out Mission Impossible style!!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
On holidays but had to pop out, so I snuck in to work and downloaded on the work PC.  It's going on a USB right now and then I'm going to sneak out Mission Impossible style!!

:ninja:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Haven't started the podcast yet, and will be out the weekend, so will start listening Sunday night.