Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 906754 times)

C4567 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
To me, the highlight of every Armored Saint show is when they hit the first chord to Nervous Man, and it just sits there.

I got a picture of John Bush too!
I've posted it before.

The Living Room, Providence, 1988.

And about 10 minutes before that pic was taken, I took this one. John Bush was on top of the speakers at the ceiling. They were playing NIB when I took this.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 03:14:52 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Doesn't look very safe, but still a very cool picture!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I think if Van Halen goes back on the road, the only option is to bring both David and Sammy and have them both sing for the band. Just like Helloween is doing. That's the only way to rejuvenate and have interest in what they are doing IMO. And of course Michael has to brought back as well.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
@ Brent!
https://bravewords.com/news/runnin-with-the-devil-book-about-the-making-of-van-halen-due-out-in-june

Looks like a good companion to "Van Halen Rising"  which I have had for ages and not read (meant to be great) .

That one covers the pre-1978 period.

I think if Van Halen goes back on the road, the only option is to bring both David and Sammy and have them both sing for the band. Just like Helloween is doing. That's the only way to rejuvenate and have interest in what they are doing IMO. And of course Michael has to brought back as well.

I tend to agree.   Wolfie has a solo album coming soon too , so he would likely support.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
    Wolfie has a solo album coming soon too

Fuck yeah, Kade! Can't wait!!!! :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Finally!!  :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Speaking of guitar virtuosos, does anyone have a good chunk of Joe Satriani's discography? He would probably be my favourite guitar instrumentalist but I only have a 2 disc best of along with Surfing with the Alien.

I was looking at his box set which had all of the studio albums, but just wondering if there are any of his albums which are considered duds or subpar?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Speaking of guitar virtuosos, does anyone have a good chunk of Joe Satriani's discography? He would probably be my favourite guitar instrumentalist but I only have a 2 disc best of along with Surfing with the Alien.

I was looking at his box set which had all of the studio albums, but just wondering if there are any of his albums which are considered duds or subpar?

I was a big fan but haven't bothered much since the mid 90's as he lost a lot of the consistency and has also backed off on the rock a fair bit too.  If it was me I would just get Flying In A Blue Dream and The Extremist and you have most of his best stuff there.  I thought the s/t in 1995 was a massive disappointment and from there I gave him another chance with Crystal Planet - big improvement with a few great tracks (out of 15) .  I have a few of his post 2000 albums but don't go back to them.  Shockwave Supernova was strong for what it is , but it's more atmospheric relaxing music than hard rock IMO.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 05:20:05 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The song Flying in a Blue Dream is probably my favourite song off the best of. I've heard that was one of his best albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I thought I kept this shit a secret, who leaked this.  Oh that's right, it's Brent, nothing gets past that motherfucker!!  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Great! I thought we were going to have to wait for Brent to get to the W's!! I haven't even finished the last podcast!  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Don't worry Tim - there'll be plenty for you in the W's   :rollin

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :facepalm:
 :rollin

I bet!!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Great! I thought we were going to have to wait for Brent to get to the W's!! I haven't even finished the last podcast!  :lol

There's only 1 fucking W you need to know!!!!!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Brent covered pretty much everything Jason.  Flying in a Blue Dream is a classic, but be warned the guy can't sing.  The Extremist is another must have.  Crystal Planet is actually my favourite to be honest.  I love a lot of the darker undertones of the album.  Songs like Up In the Sky, title track, Time, Ceremony have wonderful more metal melodies if you will with some great grooves and atmopheres.  There's a little filler and it could have been cut, but I love it.

I kept up with him up until Super Colossal, I didn't dig that one and even though I bought everything else after that, nothing really stuck.  I think everything up to and including Crystal Planet is worthwhile, that includes the self titled and the underrated Time Machine.  Engines of Creation was a departure with heavy electronic elements but I actually really rate the two after that, Strange Beautiful Music and Is There Love in Space.  The latter I really enjoyed.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Shit, I forgot all about The Unity, which has Henjo Richter.  The album was suppose to come out at the start of the month and I liked what I heard.  Have to see if I can track it down.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Brent covered pretty much everything Jason.  Flying in a Blue Dream is a classic, but be warned the guy can't sing.  The Extremist is another must have.  Crystal Planet is actually my favourite to be honest.  I love a lot of the darker undertones of the album.  Songs like Up In the Sky, title track, Time, Ceremony have wonderful more metal melodies if you will with some great grooves and atmopheres.  There's a little filler and it could have been cut, but I love it.

I kept up with him up until Super Colossal, I didn't dig that one and even though I bought everything else after that, nothing really stuck.  I think everything up to and including Crystal Planet is worthwhile, that includes the self titled and the underrated Time Machine.  Engines of Creation was a departure with heavy electronic elements but I actually really rate the two after that, Strange Beautiful Music and Is There Love in Space.  The latter I really enjoyed.

Copy.  Thanks guys.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

Is that based on some news, or just what you'd prefer?

I know for me, I like Mike and all - I have a new appreciation for him after Chickenfoot - but I don't think his loss is as crippling as some people make it out to be.  It's not like Wolfie blows.  And as for having both Sam and Dave?  I think that would be more train wreck than anything else.  If it is even half as good as ADKOT, I'm all for another album of original VH material, as curated by Wolfgang.   I don't have any problem with that incarnation of VH at all.   

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity

Sammy and Michael Anthony have talked about the idea - that the only way they'd really rejoin the band is if a tour happened where both singers were featured.  But I believe that's all it is - just talk.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/sammy-hagar-would-only-reunite-with-van-halen-if-david-lee-roth-was-also-involved/
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/michael-anthony-says-van-halen-tour-featuring-both-david-lee-roth-and-sammy-hagar-would-not-leave-fans-disappointed/

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

I know for me, I like Mike and all - I have a new appreciation for him after Chickenfoot - but I don't think his loss is as crippling as some people make it out to be.  It's not like Wolfie blows.  And as for having both Sam and Dave?  I think that would be more train wreck than anything else.  If it is even half as good as ADKOT, I'm all for another album of original VH material, as curated by Wolfgang.   I don't have any problem with that incarnation of VH at all.

Just a preference. I just think that's the best option for the band at this point.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
So Armored Saint played 3 shows last weekend.  I saw the first. This is the set for the second, edited to show the song changes.  I love that they changed 5 out of 15 songs, even though one of the new ones from WHD was replaced by an older song.  A particular band that Saint just toured with should take note of this for creating headlining sets.   ;)

I don't know what they played in Chicago on Saturday night, but I'd expect it to be similar to these two sets.  Very cool to see them not going out and playing 3 identical shows, even though the distance between the 3 shows is quite a number of miles apart (Northern WI, Milwaukee area, Chicago).  There were fans at the first show that were talking about seeing all 3, so they got their money's worth.

Win Hands Down
March of the Saint
Nervous Man
An Exercise in Debauchery     That Was Then, Way Back When
Control Issues     After Me, The Flood
In an Instant
Last Train Home
Symbol of Salvation
Long Before I Die      Stricken By Fate
Mess     Chemical Euphoria
Aftermath
Left Hook From Right Field
Reign of Fire
Can U Deliver
Lesson Well Learned       Madhouse

Offline Lowdz

The song Flying in a Blue Dream is probably my favourite song off the best of. I've heard that was one of his best albums.

I have all of his albums but I'd agree with Brent, unless you really love what you've heard. I can put any of his albums on and enjoy them, but some are certainly less great than others.

Offline Lowdz

New Mr Big song. I like the song. The riff is awesome. The mix is shit. I never thought I'd say it but bring back Kevin Shirley.
https://youtu.be/JZrzHvH7Jd4

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
much better than I expected

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
So Armored Saint played 3 shows last weekend.  I saw the first. This is the set for the second, edited to show the song changes.  I love that they changed 5 out of 15 songs, even though one of the new ones from WHD was replaced by an older song.  A particular band that Saint just toured with should take note of this for creating headlining sets.   ;)

I don't know what they played in Chicago on Saturday night, but I'd expect it to be similar to these two sets.  Very cool to see them not going out and playing 3 identical shows, even though the distance between the 3 shows is quite a number of miles apart (Northern WI, Milwaukee area, Chicago).  There were fans at the first show that were talking about seeing all 3, so they got their money's worth.

Win Hands Down
March of the Saint
Nervous Man
An Exercise in Debauchery     That Was Then, Way Back When
Control Issues     After Me, The Flood
In an Instant
Last Train Home
Symbol of Salvation
Long Before I Die      Stricken By Fate
Mess     Chemical Euphoria
Aftermath
Left Hook From Right Field
Reign of Fire
Can U Deliver
Lesson Well Learned       Madhouse

That's really cool. Glad you had a good time. Saint is one of my favorite bands. Really love the latest record. It is probably my second favorite (with Symbol being first). As for changing up tracks, I agree. Ironically, however, when I pointed that out, I got criticized for being negative, yet when some others say it, it's OK.  :lol  ;)

Anyway, Saint always kicks ass, and John Bush has been sounding great. I saw them twice on the latest record, opening for Saxon, and then opening for Queensryche. Both were excellent.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Mr Big song. I like the song. The riff is awesome. The mix is shit. I never thought I'd say it but bring back Kevin Shirley.
https://youtu.be/JZrzHvH7Jd4

Fuck me this sounds so fucking bad.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Thanks for the warning guys.  I was super unimpressed with their last album, and wasn't even luke warm about the prospects of this one.

So.... NEXT!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks for the warning guys.  I was super unimpressed with their last album, and wasn't even luke warm about the prospects of this one.

So.... NEXT!

I thought the last one was bad too.  Things song sounds a bit of a step up, but not doing it for me, especially with the mixing, awful.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
They should be called Mr. Small. Such disappointing product.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
They should be called Mr. Small. Such disappointing product.

Nice.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Tim only has to think back to that poster on his bedroom wall to know who the real Mr Big is.  :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Tim only has to think back to that poster on his bedroom wall to know who the real Mr Big is.  :metal

Oh boy, are you giving me another opportunity to post THAT pic?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
#impatientlywaiting
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion