Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 906981 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I actually love Dada. It's such a unique album and definitely the scariest album he ever made. Its gotten me really interested in the rest of his early 80s albums, so far the only other one I have is Flush The Fashion which I also enjoy quite a bit.

Flush The Fashion is mostly awesome. Headlines, Pain, Model Citizen. And of course (We're All) Clones.

I love Zipper Catches Skin and would recommend that for you. The other of this 4 obscure group is Special Forces, which I think is fairly weak.

If you like Dada and have a free hour, check this podcast out:

https://dbgeekshow.blogspot.com/2014/04/albums-unleashed-dada-wdick-wagner-ep.html

It's an hour of Dick Wagner talking about the making of Dada. Lots of great stories. Basically both Alice and Ezrin were pretty fried during this period.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Dick Wanger - I think I've seen some of his movies  :metal
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

I really used to think that was his name 😀

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Yeah, you might say you know them by hand. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Going to see Armored Saint on Thursday night.  I've been a casual fan, owning only Symbol of Salvation until last fall, when I was urged to check out Win Hands Down and fell in love with it.  Just picked up March of the Saint and Carpe Noctum over the weekend, along with my ticket.  $18 to see them play in a very tiny suburban club. 

March of the Saint and Can U Deliver are killer songs, but the rest of that album sounds incredibly cheesy, even to my 80's/traditional metal loving ears.  I'm expecting those older sounds to sound a little more beefed-up in the live setting.

Either way, it will be my first time seeing John Bush sing.   :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I got March Of The Saint when it came out. I remember thinking that the singer has a cool voice, but I just couldn't get into it. Plus the armor! :facepalm:

I ended up ignoring the Delirious Nomad release.

Long story short, I went to the Grim Reaper, Armored Saint, Helloween show in 1987. Went there to see Helloween, but decided to hang around and watch "a couple songs" from Armored Saint. They BLEW ME AWAY!

Grap, you must get Raising Fear! :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
In about 2000, I bought March of the Saint without hearing a note from it or even previously knowing about the band.  I bought it based on the album cover and the armor lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Armored Saint. They BLEW

I don't believe you.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Armored Saint. They BLEW

I don't believe you.

lol that is the most mind boggling Tim quote of all time

Offline Lowdz

For the shred fans, the new Andy James album is a cracker. And available for a pittance on Bandcamp.

https://andyjamesuk.bandcamp.com/album/exodus

Offline Lowdz

Didn't know footage was shot for a movie of Crimson Idol. Not sure how I feel about it but will give it a go. I hope the original version of the album is available on the blu ray too.

https://youtu.be/_JXa5uGR05s

Offline Lowdz

New Ferrymen song. I like it but there are a couple of lines in the verse that sound like the Tolkki Avalon song that had Elise Ryd on it, looking very gorgeous in the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=jjW5tE7cMfk

Offline Lowdz

Sorry, post overload but you blokes must be asleep or something 😀
Just watched the new John video. Really wish I hadn't as I just can't wAtch him sing. He looks like he needs a good shit. I was quite enjoying the song until the chorus came and it sounded weird, as though he was singing slower than the music was playing. I would have preferred the chorus to keep the pace going. Maybe he gets out of breath on the quicker songs. He's not used to it. He needed a breather by the time the chorus came around. 😀

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Sorry, post overload but you blokes must be asleep or something 😀

A little after 5PM on the East Coast. Just made dinner for the kiddos.

I like The Ferryman song. I'm getting that for sure.

Never heard of Andy James.

Never heard of John either.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Never heard of John either.

kingshmeglowdz strikes again.  Taking a shit = Jorn  ;D

I have the Andy James but like dozens of others from 2017 just haven't had time.  Too much shit going on atm -not keeping up anywhere near as well as 2016 unfortunately.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 05:22:59 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll definitely check that Andy James.  His stuff is pretty one dimensional, but is always great shred.

The Ferrymen is sounding like a solid outing.  Karlsson not breaking his back though in the songwriting department, or coming up with an original solo.  I hear a lot of the Showdown type stuff going on in this song too.  I hear that Tolkki song reference too. 

Agree with Paul about the chorus in that John song.  It just didn't really fit IMO either.  Looking forward to checking out the rest of the album though.

Not sure what I think about The Crimson Idol redo also.  It's such a classic and hope Blackie doesn't ruin it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Karlsson not breaking his back though in the songwriting department, 

Kade, not trying to be an ass, but what would you consider the last great thing he's done? Honestly, I struggle to connect to Primal Fear. It may be a Sheepers thing, though.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Agree with Paul about the chorus in that John song.

kingshmeglowdz and wolfkingshmegland  :lol

I hear that Tolkki song reference too. 

So things are going that well now that we have Tolkki (who was slammed for his Allen/Lande stuff) being used for inspiration by Magnus  :rollin

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

:rollin

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Karlsson not breaking his back though in the songwriting department, 

Kade, not trying to be an ass, but what would you consider the last great thing he's done? Honestly, I struggle to connect to Primal Fear. It may be a Sheepers thing, though.

Not sure why I would take offense to that question Tim.

As most know, I love the guy and adore pretty much everything he has done.  Have followed him since the first Starbreaker and I've been hooked.  Something about his songwriting and guitar playing just do it for me. 

I guess when you have spread yourself so thin, I can see over time what that can do.  His structures, riffs, solos are getting just a bit more generic over time compared to the brilliance he was doing in last Tribe and Allen/Lande.  I felt his songwriting in those projects were very creative, compared to what he does now.  Which isn't a bad thing really with the more you do, maybe it's me though, and I feel I have the right to be overly critical for some reason. 

What he has been doing in Primal Fear I've really enjoyed and he's been able to do some different sort of songwriting which has been brilliant the last two albums.  His two Freefall albums are fantastic too, which you might enjoy.

Starbreaker, Codex, Allen/Lande, Last Tribe, Tony O'Hora, Freefall, Planet Alliance, all excellent stuff.  The only thing I'd really say that was pretty below par for his standard was the second Kiske/Sommerville album.  It was decent but not his best.

Saying that, I've listened to this song again, and yeah, it's solid, and the first song released I'd say is one of the coolest things he's done for a while, I really like that one.  Don't get me wrong, really looking forward to this release.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I hear that Tolkki song reference too. 

So things are going that well now that we have Tolkki (who was slammed for his Allen/Lande stuff) being used for inspiration by Magnus  :rollin

I did do that on purpose, but you got that Brent.  :blush

I wouldn't have heard the Tolkki reference unless Paul mentioned it, but yeah, that does sound pretty bad come to think of it.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Starbreaker, Codex, Allen/Lande, Last Tribe, Tony O'Hora, Freefall, Planet Alliance, all excellent stuff.

Did he do the first Kiske/Somerville album. That was decent. Everything I heard from the 2nd blew.

Can't really do Allen/Lande. Don't really connect with either guy.

I'll look into Starbreaker and Codex, and some of the others.

Cool. :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Starbreaker, Codex, Allen/Lande, Last Tribe, Tony O'Hora, Freefall, Planet Alliance, all excellent stuff.

Did he do the first Kiske/Somerville album. That was decent. Everything I heard from the 2nd blew.

Can't really do Allen/Lande. Don't really connect with either guy.

I'll look into Starbreaker and Codex, and some of the others.

Cool. :tup

Yeah, he did about 75% of the songs from the first Kiske/Sommerville.  If Allen/Lande didn't work maybe check the first Starbreaker, that has Tony Harnell.  Planet Alliance has a mix of artists but has Mike Andersson on vocals, Magnus contributes about half of that one.

Codex wasn't rated as high when it came out, it has Mark Boals but not sure if you'll dig that one.  Last Tribe is wonderful power metal, just brilliant.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I like Mark Boals. Will do. Thanks bro!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I like Mark Boals. Will do. Thanks bro!

I like that album, but I feel Magnus missed a few opportunities with that one.  It almost feels like he wrote the songs before he even knew who the singer was going to be.

Offline Lowdz

There's the Bob Catley album he did too, that was pretty good. Spell checked and I think I got away ok with that sentence  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
There's the Bob Catley album he did too, that was pretty good. Spell checked and I think I got away ok with that sentence  :biggrin:

Yeah, I missed that one, probably becuase he wrote the album but didn't play on it, besides lead guitar on one song.  That's a really nice album too.  The songs worked well for Bob IMO.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
A new show is in the works for you dudes and should be done by end May.  Songs are all in and just need to adjust/mix and do intros.   I've decided to put together a short (3hr) show so you guys don't get withdrawals from the metal after the last hard rock focused show.  It'll be mostly on the metal side - plenty of classics , a couple of classic rarities , a rare feature artist etc........  should be a goodun  :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
A new show is in the works for you dudes and should be done by end May.  Songs are all in and just need to adjust/mix and do intros.   I've decided to put together a short (3hr) show so you guys don't get withdrawals from the metal after the last hard rock focused show.  It'll be mostly on the metal side - plenty of classics , a couple of classic rarities , a rare feature artist etc........  should be a goodun  :metal

:hefdaddy  BRING....IT....ON!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Anotehr new Dream Evil track.  I really like this one, nice and melodic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXS3XIOsuPk

Offline Grappler

So I saw Armored Saint last night.  My neck is killing me, and I'm way short on sleep, but it was worth all $18 of the ticket price.   :)   15 song headlining set in a very small club.  I'd estimate no more than 150 people were there.   John Bush was incredible, and such a cool guy.  Very appreciative of the club's roadie as he had microphone issues for a few songs.   I had a spot dead center in the second row, behind a group of super fans that were completely raging all night.  The guitarists were so much fun, hamming it up to everyone in front.  Joey Vera is a beast - got a fist bump from him after the show. 

Win Hands Down
March of the Saint
Nervous Man
An Exercise in Debauchery
Control Issues
In an Instant (Dedicated to Chris Cornell)
Last Train Home
Symbol of Salvation
Long Before I Die
Mess
Aftermath
Left Hook From Right Field
Reign of Fire
Can U Deliver
Lesson Well Learned

Looks like I need to go back and get Delerious Nomad and Revelation (Control Issues was awesome live).  I went ballistic during Last Train Home.  Such a great chorus and I love the riff/breakdown after the second chorus.  Also pleased to hear the title track from Symbol of Salvation, giving us 3 songs from that album.  4 from Win Hands Down and 3 from Nomad.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 08:04:31 AM by Grappler »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Awesome Grappler...............awesome price too.  If Armored Saint came out here the beers would be $18.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Grappler

Awesome Grappler...............awesome price too.  If Armored Saint came out here the beers would be $18.

:rollin

The major concert venues in the city charge those prices.  The Rave in Milwaukee is 25 miles north, in the city proper.  A 12 oz can (CAN!) of domestic beer is $9 there.  That is just awful.

This was at a small, suburban sports bar/restaurant/music venue.  $4.50 for a 12 oz draft.  I can handle that cost much easier, along with the ticket price.  :)   The downside is that the crowd is smaller, so the promotor likely loses money on those shows.  I did my duty - bought a ticket, bought a shirt and rocked the hell out.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That set list that Grappler posted should have been the full set list on their latest live album.  Cool set!