Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 906798 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Probably best not to try and remember lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Remember what? ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So as much as I LOVE Michael Schenker, I just gave Arachnophobiac a spin and I must say this album blows. A couple of nice moments, man, what suckage.

"I want my money back.
Arachnophobiac"

:facepalm:

Yeah, no shit!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Tim your two main Mike's have let you down recently

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Well, Arachnophobiac is a 2003 release. I'm as far as the Bad Habit track on the new podcast, I think it's Bad Habit, where Brent talks about it being an ok song, but he really liked the guitarist. The song reminded me of something Michael Schenker would do. So it inspired me to grab a lesser listened to album of his and give it a run through.

For the record, Schenker's last two studio albums have been stellar!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That Blue Blud was awesome, really good song that one.

That Blue Tears was alright too.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
finished the podcast.  Blackthorne was a standout.  And man that Blue Murder track is so good.  Bonfire (I really like both albums you mentioned), Brazen Abbot, and Battle Cries were great tracks.  I picked up that The Brave cd after you played them in an early podcast.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Don't know what to think of this.  Should be interesting at least.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/masterplan-album-of-re-recorded-helloween-songs-pumpkings-to-arrive-in-june/

I'm actually interested in hearing what this sounds like.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/masterplan-album-of-re-recorded-helloween-songs-pumpkings-to-arrive-in-june/

I'm actually interested in hearing what this sounds like.

Me too.  I hope the production is good, it could make or break it.  The last album was awesome but the production and mix was just beyond awful.

I saw that. My first question was...why?

I don't know really.  Roland was very bitter about the way he was fired from the band, I'm guessing it could be some sort of closure thing for him, or just something he always wanted to do.  Maybe some of the songs he wrote here got changed and they are presented here the way he always wanted them, who knows.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Back to the podcast this morning.
Brent, the first Bad Habit track's chorus fits just fine in the song.

I remember Brian Howe era Bad Co being played constantly on the radio.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Great podcast Brent.  That Brian MCDonald with Reb Beach was very good too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I think there were two songs with Doug Aldrich, right. His playing on that second song was very good.
They reminded me of Tesla, but not as engaging. Maybe it was the singer.

I was not aware of Aldrich back in the day, and only heard of him with Dio, which I must say was quite underwhelming.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I think there were two songs with Doug Aldrich, right. His playing on that second song was very good.
They reminded me of Tesla, but not as engaging. Maybe it was the singer.

I was not aware of Aldrich back in the day, and only heard of him with Dio, which I must say was quite underwhelming.

Both songs with Doug were from Bad Moon Rising.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brent, some common names in that Badd Boyz  lineup, but you didn't mention who the drummer was.

And speaking of Mitch Perry, I'm expecting to hear some Heaven when we get to the H's!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
So we have like another 12 podcasts coming?  :metal :corn

I don't want to see any skimping on the X's or Z's Brent.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, some common names in that Badd Boyz  lineup, but you didn't mention who the drummer was.

That's because I was only mentioning the common names  :P  Rich Carlton..............never 'eard of 'im.

Brent, the first Bad Habit track's chorus fits just fine in the song.

it was more that I felt the pre-chorus was huge and the chorus relatively underwhelming

Great podcast Brent.  That Brian MCDonald with Reb Beach was very good too.

Thanks  :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 07:19:57 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So Brent, appreciate the effort on the podcast. Very much appreciated.

The Bangalore Choir track was pretty good. You've played Banshee too before, right?

The second Shortino track was cool too.

Not a criticism of the podcast Brent, but I feel like everything I've heard is so similar. Back in those days, it was hard for a band to stick out. A lot of it looked and sounded the same. I totally ignored bands based on a shitty name or a picture. Of course I checked out bands for the same reasons.
Brent, your research in the old days is impressive, especially without computers. But it's not just the lack of technology. It's the time/money/dedication that it takes.

Oh..and Barren Cross :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I still say Brent can give Dee a run for his money!

I enjoyed Banshee's Race Against Time album, a lot of strong tracks on that one.

And I've been a big fan of Barren Cross for years.  I think the vocals being similar to Bruce Dickinson is what interested me initially, but Atomic Arena and State of Control ended up being a couple of my all time favorites.  The debut and Rattle Your Cage are also very good.  I think the band have thrown out the possibility of new material the last few years but nothing came of it.  I would be interested to see what you rate the BC albums Brent?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Didn't think I had played Banshee before but you could be right Tim.   I did make an effort to try and pick songs that mostly had a memorable hook that had stuck with me for the very reason you state - a lot of stuff sounded the same back then..........obviously I didn't quite succeed there for you , but then again I thought you might say the whole podcast was somewhere between "sucks" and "blows" so I will take your thoughts as a compliment    ;D

I still say Brent can give Dee a run for his money!

I enjoyed Banshee's Race Against Time album, a lot of strong tracks on that one.

And I've been a big fan of Barren Cross for years.  I think the vocals being similar to Bruce Dickinson is what interested me initially, but Atomic Arena and State of Control ended up being a couple of my all time favorites.  The debut and Rattle Your Cage are also very good.  I think the band have thrown out the possibility of new material the last few years but nothing came of it.  I would be interested to see what you rate the BC albums Brent?

Thanks JJ.  I have never heard Dee's show but I gather he mostly plays the classics?

I haven't rated the Barren Cross albums but after a quick look at song ratings(and as mentioned in the show) I tend to love a few songs on each album but also think there's plenty of filler.  So most of their albums are likely 70's - 80 .  Atomic Arena seems the most consistent and would likely rate mid-high 80's.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:53:43 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
You should check out the House of Hair from Dee Snider.  I enjoy him as a DJ and its all 80's heavy metal/hair metal.  I imagine you can stream the show from his website, but I know at least they were putting the set list up from every show.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
that was the first time Banshee has been played in the podcast
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Lowdz

I think you should write a book Brent. It would be the difinitive guide to 80s metal.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I would pay money to watch a heavy metal jeopardy match between Brent and Martin Popoff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I would pay money to watch a heavy metal jeopardy match between Brent and Martin Popoff.

Brent:

Popoff:

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

Popoff doesnt stand a chance

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
BLACKFOOT!!! :metal

What a nice surprise. I loved Siogo when I was a kid. I think it made The TAC Top 50. Send Me And Angel was the stand out track. And I still get goosebumps when I listen to Teenage Idol.
They were great up through Siogo, even though they added Ken Hensley to that to commercialize. But there's still enough great tunes, I think it's a great crossover album. the follow up, Vertical Smiles, despite the ..um..interesting album cover, absolutely blows.

I did make an effort to try and pick songs that mostly had a memorable hook that had stuck with me for the very reason you state - a lot of stuff sounded the same back then..........obviously I didn't quite succeed there for you , but then again I thought you might say the whole podcast was somewhere between "sucks" and "blows" so I will take your thoughts as a compliment    ;D

Oh, no issues here. It was like that back in the day. I think my point was that there is only so much you can do with this style and my ears start to glaze over. There were so many bands that all had same look, same sound, same dumb spellings of their namez.( ;D). No wonder grunge took off.

The Blue Blud was excellent. And I was all ready to call them Blew Blud! ;D

...and I'm not a Blue Murder guy. Valley is awesome, but that's all I really care for. I was very disappointed in that when it came out. But we've gone over that many times already.

Edit: Blew Tears!  :lol
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 04:00:38 PM by TAC »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Hell f'n yes!!

https://bravewords.com/news/alice-cooper-announces-new-album-paranormal-features-guest-appearances-by-zz-tops-billy-gibbons-u2s-larry-mullen-jr

U2's drummer?? Nice. Love the quote from the story:
Cooper also talked about the U2 drummer's somewhat unusual approach to recording. Alice recalled: "Larry (said), 'I wanna see the lyrics.' I said, 'Really?' He (said), 'Yeah, I play to the lyrics. I don't play to the bass.' And I said, 'That is so cool — just the idea that you're interpreting the lyrics on the drums.' So that totally makes the album another album."

First UFO dates are announced, and then a new Alice album is.

What a day!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, Alice owes an excellent album. His last few have been sub par. Still love him though.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Blew Tears  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The last new Alice Cooper album I heard was Welcome to My Nightmare 2.  A couple of good tracks but I was quite disappointed overall in that one.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
The last Alice album I listened to from start to finish is Hey Stoopid  :-[

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
When I want to listen to Cooper, I firstly reach for Constrictor or Raise Your Fist and Yell.

I have a greatest hits called Monsters and Mascara which has his 70's and early 80s hits (plus Poison).  I like all the hits from the 70s but I've heard some deep album cuts and it was a little too out there and weird for me.  I probably would have to give them more listens but I'm sure I would warm up to them.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
When I want to listen to Cooper, I firstly reach for Constrictor or Raise Your Fist and Yell.

Ditto - definitely those two and Raise Your Fist the most.    I sampled earlier stuff and have Billion Dollar Babies on tape but never got the impression that his early stuff was for me.  But then I struggle with a lot of 70's stuff ......I never enjoyed much pre British Steel from Priest and it's like that with most bands that straddled the 70's and 80's , with a few notable exceptions (VH , KISS etc..)

www.theguitardojo.com.au