Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 910104 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Listening to the live Metal Church on Spotify. I see what you are saying, Brian. Sounds like a pre FM soundboard. The guitars have a "loudness" issue where they are way too fuzzy too.

How the hell could they make so many great live albums 40 years ago??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

What I've heard from Alien has been quality and that track is no different.

Not sure about the Ear-Xtasy albums Brent but they did release a compilation called That Was Then, This is Now which is a best of the 2 cd's.  That's what I have, but never dived fully into both albums of the Xtasy albums.  This is the track list;

1    Super '70s    
2    Pink Champagne Sparkle    
3    Falling Down    
4    Beautiful Strange    
5    Turn Away    
6    I Remember Stevie    
7    Cry For You    
8    Farmer Sez    
9    Electric Gypsy    
10    It's Getting Better    
11    That Was Then, This Is Now    
12    Groove Or Die    
13    A Night To Remember    
14    Carpe Diem    
15    Donna Lee (Live)    
16    Slips Away

Groove or Die is a great shred instrumental  :metal
Not got around to downloading yet, but will get to it this week.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I've listened through the Alien track so far.  I love that 21 Guns album - pretty sure I sent Kade a track from that album in his roulette.

Other standouts were 1st Avenue, Accept, and that first Aces High track.

No, I didn't get 21 Guns from you Jon.  I'll definitely have to check the album out though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Metal For Melbourne  :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brent, great call on the Alice track. I thank you for including him. My only request is to play him again when the C's come up. ;D

You mentioned Alice before General Hospital. I was thinking Freedom or Trash, but The World Needs Guts is fantastic. Constrictor is ridiculously overlooked. We talk a lot about Raise Your Fist And Yell around here, but Constrictor is full of great tunes.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Teenage Franenstein, Life and Death of the Party and He's Back (Man Behind the Mask) are three of my top Alice Cooper tracks.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Life And Death Of The Party is amazing. Good call Jason.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Once you play any of those songs, they are locked in your head for quite awhile!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
"Gonna lay it on thick so the memory'll stick."  :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Trick Bag is a great one too!

Offline Imaginos

I saw Alice a couple nights ago, and he actually played The World Needs Guts!!!!! I was floored that he even touched anything from the 80s aside from Poison. Not only that, but he also played Pain off of Flush the Fashion. All in all a really cool setlist.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
I've listened through the Alien track so far.  I love that 21 Guns album - pretty sure I sent Kade a track from that album in his roulette.

No, I didn't get 21 Guns from you Jon.  I'll definitely have to check the album out though.

ah, I know what it was.  I put it on the EP I sent you even though I didn't make the finals.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

ah, I know what it was.  I put it on the EP I sent you even though I didn't make the finals.

Damn, left it a tad too late mate.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
through the Bad Habit track now.  I really like that album.  The vocalist has a James Christian vibe to him.

Brent's description of the Asgard/Imago Mundi concept was awesome!

Standouts for me this round were Andy Timmons, Angelica, and that Axel Rudi Pell track.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
through the Bad Habit track now.  I really like that album.  The vocalist has a James Christian vibe to him.

Brent's description of the Asgard/Imago Mundi concept was awesome!

Standouts for me this round were Andy Timmons, Angelica, and that Axel Rudi Pell track.

I'm up to Arch Rival, which is pretty good, especially the second song. The Angelica was really cool. The Timmons was surprisingly good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Timmons is so underrated.  So underrated he has to play in Olivia Newton Johns band!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Underrated...and smart!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I saw Alice a couple nights ago, and he actually played The World Needs Guts!!!!! I was floored that he even touched anything from the 80s aside from Poison. Not only that, but he also played Pain off of Flush the Fashion. All in all a really cool setlist.

:omg:

Wow.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Underrated...and smart!

Yeah, I guess haha.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Just watching Fates Warning Awaken the Guardian Live. Very cool show and its amazing considering that this lineup hasn't played together for so long, that they pulled it off this well. They are all seasoned professionals so it likely didn't take long for them all to get on the same page.

What's the opinion of Frank Aresti as a guitarist? He seems very impressive to me. Nothing too flashy, just very talented.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
What's the opinion of Frank Aresti as a guitarist? He seems very impressive to me. Nothing too flashy, just very talented.

I rate him big time, always have since i first heard him.  He does do some flashy stuff Jason from time to time, but he also has a very unique style.  Very fitting for Fates music, and was a great contrast to Jim's style.  Great technical skill and the Life in Still Water solo is still for me one of the hardest solos to get right, it's insane.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah just watching him right now, he really comes across as flawless on the guitar.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

TEN ANNOUNCES NEW ALBUM "GOTHICA", OUT JULY 7, 2017

The only bad news... it's on Frontiers.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Albion was a fantastic album from Ten I must say, but the last one was a little underdone.  We'll see how this one guys.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
At least they haven't plonked some random babe warrior with a weird tattoo on the cover.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
At least they haven't plonked some random babe warrior with a weird tattoo on the cover.

To be honest, when I saw the cover, I was a little disappointed.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm sure Prog Snob is too - he won't buy anything without a hot chick on the cover.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm sure Prog Snob is too - he won't buy anything without a hot chick on the cover.

I don't know. There's a bunch of dudes in his sig.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
That album cover is horrible.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That girl needs to put fabric softener sheets in her laundry to reduce the static cling

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That girl needs to put fabric softener sheets in her laundry to reduce the static cling

:rollin

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Another Ferryman song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSo7m6UPvs8

This one is pretty standard Magnus, but sounds like a grower.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Got the Metal Church live album (recorded last year) on Friday. Not sure who mixed it, but my Lord is Mike Howe way high in the mix. So much so, I can barely hear the music without blasting it. Anyone else pick it up and notice that?

Gotta admit, I'm a bit bummed, because the Howe era of Metal Church is my favorite. But he's so loud in the mix it is distracting.

Just ordered this. It was less than $10 on Amazon. I'm good with that.

Also ordered the FW ATG Live and the Testament Original Album Series. I never got the original Testament albums back in the day, but happy to get all 5 for $15.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
5 albums of Testament!!!  :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I notice a lot of bands have those original series editions.  Seems like a great bargain if you want all the material from one band in one shot.