Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 907027 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Finally made it to the end of the podcast and a worthy number 1, it would probably be my fav of the year too.  I actually liked a lot of the songs mid countdown than most of the top 10.  Got some albums to check out though.

There's songs early in the podcast that I like better than later ones too.............in the end it's just one song representing an album and , as a rule , I view the albums in the higher rankings as more consistent.

As an aside Ben is playing football tomorrow night on the MCG in front of 80,000 people during the half time break in the senior game :metal
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:55:55 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I actually liked a lot of the songs mid countdown than most of the top 10.  Got some albums to check out though.

Ditto.  Not much of the Top 10 floated my boat.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

Finally made it to the end of the podcast and a worthy number 1, it would probably be my fav of the year too.  I actually liked a lot of the songs mid countdown than most of the top 10.  Got some albums to check out though.

There's songs early in the podcast that I like better than later ones too.............in the end it's just one song representing an album and , as a rule , I view the albums in the higher rankings as more consistent.

As an aside Ben is playing football tomorrow night on the MCG in front of 80,000 people during the half time break in the senior game :metal

Wish him the best of luck from me!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah Go Ben!! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
What is the MCG anyway?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth

Wow, that's cool.  :tup Best wishes for him .

And I assume you aussies mean football when you talk football and not the thing that is played with hands and eggs.  :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Messages passed on to Ben  :azn:

What is the MCG anyway?

This is a photo of the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) just prior to the recent GnR gig I attended - holds around 100,000 people and is the biggest stadium in Australia .

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Take some pics Brent. I mean Ben will be an ant, but he'll be our ant!

Offline Lowdz

Sorry to impose on the Ben footy thread  :biggrin:

New Warrant. I like it. Can't get enough of Robert Mason's voice and I like the surf vibe in the breakdown.

https://youtu.be/uiuzTXuxMnM

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Ben Beckham!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Nice try Paul.

Ben it like Beckham.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Sorry to impose on the Ben footy thread  :biggrin:

New Warrant. I like it. Can't get enough of Robert Mason's voice and I like the surf vibe in the breakdown.

https://youtu.be/uiuzTXuxMnM

Pretty good tune.  I really liked Masons vocals on that Lynch Mob album and he seems like a good fit for the band.  I really havent paid any attention to Warrant except for a few tunes on that Jamie St James album, which I thought were good as well.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Maybe I'll check it out when I get home. I literally wouldn't know what to do with Warrant.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I've never been a big fan, but I will say that Uncle Toms Cabin is a major kick ass tune and one of the best of the entire hair metal era.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Awesome tune.

Actually I saw Warrant twice. Once in an arena (opening for Motley Crüe) and once in a club (opening for Paul Stanley) and they were awesome in both settings.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Jani Lane had a darn good voice.

Couple of their other standout tracks were off the Dog Eat Dog album.  "All My Bridges are Burning" and "Quicksand" are great tunes.  That was a pretty good album, but Warrant were off the music radar at that point

Offline Lowdz

Jain was a talented songwriter. Dog Eat Dog is a great album.
Can't remember if I've seen them or not... old age and too many gigs as a youngster. They supported Dave Lee Roth in 91 and I saw that tour.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

That's fucking awesome man!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I mentioned the other night that I gave the new Blaze Bayley a listen. Tonight I'm giving it a second listen. I am really liking it.

Offline Lowdz

So I mentioned the other night that I gave the new Blaze Bayley a listen. Tonight I'm giving it a second listen. I am really liking it.

Just been having a listen. I would love this with a better singer but I enjoyed it. The band are great.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

From what I've heard it sounds like a step up from the last one, even though that was quite solid.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I listened to the first one only once. I thought there was something missing. I found Endure And Survive much more impactful.

I may relisten to Infinite Entanglement today.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Listening to the Divine Weep album. This is pretty damn cool. Thanks Brent!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Indeed... I've listened to 17/32 albums that I had to check out.  So far my only duds are False Coda and Disharminc Fields.  Meshiaak was so-so.  Everything else has ranged from very good to great.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Warrant were an interesting band.  I caught them as an opener for Britney Fox before their first album dropped, and I was blown away.  I remember picking up DRFSR right when it was released and listening to it nonstop.  I had a few people ask me who they were when I would be listening.  It wouldn't be long before people didn't have to ask, because if you were anywhere near MTV, you knew.  I really dug the second album as well.  But they lost me with Dog Eat Dog. 

Mason is a solid pickup.  But I dunno.  It just doesn't grab me.  And I hate to live in the past, but Mason's vocals aside, there isn't anything about it that makes me think "Warrant." 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lowdz

Warrant were an interesting band.  I caught them as an opener for Britney Fox before their first album dropped, and I was blown away.  I remember picking up DRFSR right when it was released and listening to it nonstop.  I had a few people ask me who they were when I would be listening.  It wouldn't be long before people didn't have to ask, because if you were anywhere near MTV, you knew.  I really dug the second album as well.  But they lost me with Dog Eat Dog. 

Mason is a solid pickup.  But I dunno.  It just doesn't grab me.  And I hate to live in the past, but Mason's vocals aside, there isn't anything about it that makes me think "Warrant."

Dog Eat Dog is awesome!
DRFSR was ok. Cherry Pie was better, but DED was the best.

Offline Lowdz

Just listened to the new Bonfire album. Wasn't prepared for the heavying up of the sound. New singer has a more metal voice than Klaus Lessman. It's a bit more Euro metal than I was expecting. Really liked it.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Dog Eat Dog is awesome!
DRFSR was ok. Cherry Pie was better, but DED was the best.

Quoted for truth.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
More from Labyrinth - may not rock as much as the other songs released thus far but what it does have is all those textures that I loved about Return To Heaven Denied , so count me in.  Awesome Frontiers video too as per usual  ;D

https://youtu.be/ajcjrkpwpK4

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brent, how did Ben make out at the stadium?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Great thanks Tim.   As you know he's very shy............he kicked a goal (one of only a couple in the short match) and gave the crowd a flex of his "guns" .  I'm surprised he didn't give them the metal horns :lol

Unfortunately for us they had a couple of these mini matches running on the (huge) ground and Ben's was on the opposite side to where we were seated and so photos were very hard to get.  I was having to go into "digital zoom" on the camera to see and that's when your resolution goes away.  If I can find a photo posted on the club Facebook page (someone out on the ground took a few pics) I will post one.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
More from Labyrinth - may not rock as much as the other songs released thus far but what it does have is all those textures that I loved about Return To Heaven Denied , so count me in.  Awesome Frontiers video too as per usual  ;D

Not sure if I dig this or not.  It's well done but nothing making me hard.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Not sure if I dig this or not.  It's well done but nothing making me hard.

I wouldn't rave - or get hard :lol - over the song but it does have the ingredients that make their music unique and so it's got me more interested than the other tracks which , to me , were good but missing "their sound".

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Great thanks Tim.   As you know he's very shy............he kicked a goal (one of only a couple in the short match) and gave the crowd a flex of his "guns" .  I'm surprised he didn't give them the metal horns :lol

I can totally see him kicking the ball down the field going, "Cause I'm TNT, I'm dynamite..."

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Good to hear that Ben did well at the game!