Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 894547 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
How the hell is Michael Bolton's name on Hit Parader??

Brent, I'm on pins and needles!  Who won between Judas Priest and Iron Maiden?  Who rules Heavy Metal?

His early stuff is decent enough.  Wouldn't be up your alley though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Brent, I'm on pins and needles!  Who won between Judas Priest and Iron Maiden?  Who rules Heavy Metal?

His early stuff is decent enough.  Wouldn't be up your alley though.

Yeah I checked out the link that Brent shared.  Song was turned off 15 seconds in.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Released 35 years ago yesterday

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

Released 35 years ago yesterday

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

What the hell were they smoking when they came up with that cover?  :biggrin:
Great album though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I bought Narita the same day I bought Piece Of Mind. Major haul!! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Tim, go check some of The Lord stuff. Great material.  I think it's on Grooveshark.
I ordered Digital Lies today. Holy Shiite!

And that's not even their best. Give Set in Stone a spin.  Top 50 (v2) worthy over here.

Fuck yeah to all of this.  Digital Lies was amazing but I agree with Chad that Set in Stone tops it.  Ascendance has some really great songs too and is worth a listen.  All the Dungeon stuff IMO is worth it, I can't wait for my boxset.

Digital Lies shipped today. Should have it this week. Will get Set In Stone next then.

I checked the link to the Dungeon stuff. $80?? Yikes.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Riot's a great band.  I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people passed on the band based on their album covers.

The album Fire Down Under is major kick ass and my favorite from the band.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Tim, go check some of The Lord stuff. Great material.  I think it's on Grooveshark.
I ordered Digital Lies today. Holy Shiite!

And that's not even their best. Give Set in Stone a spin.  Top 50 (v2) worthy over here.

Fuck yeah to all of this.  Digital Lies was amazing but I agree with Chad that Set in Stone tops it.  Ascendance has some really great songs too and is worth a listen.  All the Dungeon stuff IMO is worth it, I can't wait for my boxset.

Digital Lies shipped today. Should have it this week. Will get Set In Stone next then.

I checked the link to the Dungeon stuff. $80?? Yikes.

yeah, it's a little pricey, but for the content, I have no problem with the cost.  You'll love Set in Stone.

Riot's a great band.  I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people passed on the band based on their album covers.

The album Fire Down Under is major kick ass and my favorite from the band.

I only know a couple of albums by Riot, but Fire Down Under is indeed amazing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
$80 was about twice what I was expecting. Hopefully it'll show up on Amazon or something.

Looking forward to discovering Lord. Man the samples sounded incredible.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Don't know if it will be released outside as it says it's strictly limited to 500 copies.  As I said though, it would be cool if they release each disc seperately. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Riot's a great band. 

Definitely under rated and I also like a lot of the stuff Reale did with Westworld.   They have some albums I love and some albums (+ covers :D) that I'm not too hot on , but overall ...... :tup
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
New AC/DC track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIE8F_OL_Ds

No surprises there. :lol
Actually reminds me of the latter Bon Scott era. The guitar tones just feel a little warmer.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
ACDC by the numbers

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I would expect nothing less  :D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
ACDC by the numbers
ACDC is all letters tho. ;D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
ACDC by the numbers

I'd be pissed off if we got anything else from them! "It it ain't broke, don't fix it" :lol

Song sounds decent. It's AC/DC being AC/DC.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Wow... how did 3 pages slip by me.  Have been busy as shit at work I guess.  Well, nothing really to add, just posting so this shows up in my 'feed'.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Chad, I was wondering when you were going to show up lol

Offline gazinwales

Unfortunately JJ it was one of those articles that goes through the arguments but doesn't really give a definitive winner - IMHO they were more positive towards Maiden.

As far as Michael Bolton goes he did rock a bit in a band called Blackjack prior to his crappy pop stuff and he basically disowns his rock stuff , so you'd never know unless you have it /know of it already.   He also had a couple of solo albums which I'd class as melodic rock - Everybody's Crazy (also 1985)  is considered a bit of a (lite) melodic rock classic and features Bruce Kulick on guitar which is perhaps the connection that got him into Hit Parader

Save Our Love :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqLBcjWmDO0

Too pissweak for you JJ but Kulick does okay on the guitars

Yeah his first 2 solo albums are considered by many to be AOR/melodic rock classics, I am one of those.
He was also a pretty decent guitarist back in those days too.
A real shame that he has disowned them, but I guess he has found his sound and market.
this is a real fave of mine :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NukzQZM-1Qk

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Listening to Lord's Digital Lies. Wow, this album is fu#king awesome!
The Last Encore  :metal

How have I never come across this band before?
This band is right in the TAC wheelhouse.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I'ma gonna have to go back and have a listen.  While I enjoyed it, I was a little disappointed in it relative to Set in Stone and Ascendance.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

The Last Encore is definitely the best song on the album.  Other highlights are the title track, Battle and of course Prophet.

Offline Lowdz

The Last Encore is definitely the best song on the album.  Other highlights are the title track, Battle and of course Prophet.

Wow. Just wow. Great album.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll keep a few of the knick knacks /mags coming..........

This barely sneaks in as hard rock but one of the few interesting non VH items in my collection is this Europe OOTW vinyl.  I have little in the way of vinyl relatively speaking (I grew up in the era of cassettes  :tdwn ) - I picked this up for a couple of bucks "as new" in a used store in the late 80's and have since seen it go for some decent bucks ($150 or so)

It's a radio station promo issued at the Epic world premiere weekend for the album , which as you can imagine was pretty big after The Final Countdown.  It comes in a gatefold double LP and  contains the regular tracks separated with "instrumental beds" from the album and includes some interviews/comments from the band.

I don't have a turntable at the moment so couldn't listen if I wanted to.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

I'll keep a few of the knick knacks /mags coming..........

This barely sneaks in as hard rock but one of the few interesting non VH items in my collection is this Europe OOTW vinyl.  I have little in the way of vinyl relatively speaking (I grew up in the era of cassettes  :tdwn ) - I picked this up for a couple of bucks "as new" in a used store in the late 80's and have since seen it go for some decent bucks ($150 or so)

It's a radio station promo issued at the Epic world premiere weekend for the album , which as you can imagine was pretty big after The Final Countdown.  It comes in a gatefold double LP and  contains the regular tracks separated with "instrumental beds" from the album and includes some interviews/comments from the band.

I don't have a turntable at the moment so couldn't listen if I wanted to.

Canb't see the pics for some reason but sounds interesting. I have OOTW on red vinyl from back on release. I haven't owned a turntable for 20 years or so.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I saw Europe on the Final Countdown tour.

Offline Lowdz

And it was so overwhelming that you couldn't wait to tell us all about it  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

And it was so overwhelming that you couldn't wait to tell us all about it  :lol

Yup, been holding that secret for 26 years!

It was actually cool seeing them. Opened for Def Leppard. I kinda enjoyed that album. It was so damn popular at the time.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The album "wings of tommorow" by Europe is a very good release; pretty heavy too. The Final Countdown is getting pretty sappy, but still good.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
The album "wings of tommorow" by Europe is a very good release; pretty heavy too. The Final Countdown is getting pretty sappy, but still good.

PoP for the win!

Their 2000s stuff was surprisingly good too.  I still have never heard Wings of Tomorrow.  Gotta fix that.

Offline Lowdz

PoP for the win!

Their 2000s stuff was surprisingly good too.  I still have never heard Wings of Tomorrow.  Gotta fix that.

I agree with my Cannuck friend. PoP is their best - made my top 50. Wings Of Tomorrow is very good too.