Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 908867 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Not a huge fan of Heir Apparent, but this looks interesting. Love Matt Thompson's drumming in King Diamond.

https://bravewords.com/news/underground-90s-act-autumn-silence-to-have-recordings-reissued-features-kind-diamond-drummer-matt-thompson
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I've heard the name Heir Apparent but never heard anything by them.  Matt Thompson is solid as fuck behind the drumkit.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, I like the inclusion of the Defiants in the podcast.  I warmed up a lot to that album and enjoy it quite a bit from time to time.  That was one of my top songs of the year.

That Claudio fellow certainly has some nice chops, need to check him out for real after that tune.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I've heard the name Heir Apparent but never heard anything by them.  Matt Thompson is solid as fuck behind the drumkit.

One Small Voice is a pretty cool album.  Their other main release (Graceful Inheritance) seems to have a cult classic status but I never rated it very high.

Brent, I like the inclusion of the Defiants in the podcast.  I warmed up a lot to that album and enjoy it quite a bit from time to time.  That was one of my top songs of the year.

That Claudio fellow certainly has some nice chops, need to check him out for real after that tune.

:tup
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Maiden rules!!! :metal

Just sayin'
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 04:13:06 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Seems that TAC is going to win the Random Caption thread by default if no one shows up to make an entry.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lowdz

New Crazy Lixx track. Pretty standard fare for CL. Hoping for a great production this time like on the awesome New Religion but not holding my breath.

https://youtu.be/Rw_9gOvZJg4

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Crazy Lixx track. Pretty standard fare for CL. Hoping for a great production this time like on the awesome New Religion but not holding my breath.

Not bad at all.  Could be placed anywhere on the last album and you'd be none the wiser.  Looking forward to this one.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

Not bad at all.  Could be placed anywhere on the last album and you'd be none the wiser.  Looking forward to this one.

Ditto. I loved the last album, so I'm happy they're continuing in that style instead of the raw sound of Riot Avenue which I didn't think worked so well. Solid song, and the production sounds killer too.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Ditto. I loved the last album, so I'm happy they're continuing in that style instead of the raw sound of Riot Avenue which I didn't think worked so well. Solid song, and the production sounds killer too.

Can't believe we agree.  I also liked the direction of the last one a lot more than the others, even New Religion.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

Can't believe we agree.  I also liked the direction of the last one a lot more than the others, even New Religion.

I consider them similar enough in direction, although maybe the self titled was a bit more straight up? (and I don't mean in a bad way)
Either way, I like them fairly similarly overall I think, so I'm not gonna split hairs on it. So far the even albums are the good ones though. :lol

New Inglorious song. I was put off a bit by the intro, but once it kicked in, it was pretty good. It's definitely the direction I wanted them to continue in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=876QYRiF5Ck

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
I totally dig Inglorious. Love that first record. I wasn't huge on the first song they released from II, but I like this one for sure. Love the heavy blues vibe. Best singer on the planet right now, Mr. Nathan James.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Hey yo.  Just in case any of you don't head over to GD, here's what's goin on.  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=49767.0;topicseen

Bad news is ya'll are gonna be seeing more of me.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 08:56:27 PM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The good news is Chad has been signed to a 10 year contract to be the full time Official Hard Rock/Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread moderator and Seinfeld gif operator.

It's a very sought after gig and he will be rewarded with a used copy of Winger's debut on cassette along with a salary of 5 dollars a year.  So its a 10 year, $50 dollar contract.

It's also the Summer of Chad!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Spring at least

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
That inglorious tune is very cool.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Bad news is ya'll are gonna be seeing more of me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I totally dig Inglorious. Love that first record. I wasn't huge on the first song they released from II, but I like this one for sure. Love the heavy blues vibe. Best singer on the planet right now, Mr. Nathan James.

He's definitely one of the highlights of the band, and he slays it live too from the clips I've seen. I didn't think too much of the first single they released either, so I'm glad this one is much more to my taste. Inglorious and Crazy Lixx are my most anticipated albums for the moment.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So, The Lovely Mrs TAC likes to watch Long Island Medium, and I just went in Rudy Sarzo is on the show. And she channels Randy Rhoads! :omg:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Listening to Watchtower's Energetic Disassembly on youtube right now.

Love the comments:
"I'd say more like drums are being recorded, and the singer is on the roof, while the band plays outside"
 :lol

Interesting stuff.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Watchtower were always a bit too over the top technical for me , but no denying they were/are some talented dudes.   The current lineup just released something new (Concepts Of Math) but I haven't checked it out as yet.

I can have a new podcast ready within 24-48hrs  whenever you guys feel like something new.  Still waiting on my Hath ratings  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Thanks to going to YouTube for Watchtower, I have stumbled across Cyclone Temple! :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks to going to YouTube for Watchtower, I have stumbled across Cyclone Temple! :metal

From memory some of their stuff sounded a bit like a (less impressive) Bush fronting Anthrax.    I have I Hate Therefore I Am which afaik is their best album........looks like I have a demo or two as well.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

From memory some of their stuff sounded a bit like a (less impressive) Bush fronting Anthrax.    I have I Hate Therefore I Am which afaik is their best album........looks like I have a demo or two as well.

IHTIA is what I was listening. It's pretty damn cool. Closer to Testament than Anthrax.  Seems they either changed vocalist for the second album because it has sucky 90's vocals.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
I can have a new podcast ready within 24-48hrs  whenever you guys feel like something new.  Still waiting on my Hath ratings  ;D

ha, I can post something tomorrow at work since that is where I do my listening and keep the spreadsheet.  It was a highly rated show for sure!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Has anyone checked out the Sainted Sinners album?   Getting top notch reviews around the place .  I'm a fan of Reece in Bangalore Choir and Accept but having read about this being the second coming of Whitesnake I'm a bit baffled.   Half way through it and pretty bored with it....the songs just aren't there.

EDIT:  Having finished it I'll revise my "pretty bored" to "very bored".  Barely a song on it worth replaying.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 04:49:35 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
It's on Spotify, so I'll check out a few songs.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I have one of their albums and it's fucking cool as.  In Thy Honor I think.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Having finished it I'll revise my "pretty bored" to "very bored".  Barely a song on it worth replaying.
I only made it three songs in.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

can't find any reference to that one

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

can't find any reference to that one

That's because I'm a fucking stooge that doesn't read shit properly.  Thought Tim said Cryonic Temple.  Thought it was a weird reference since Watchtower was the discussion.  And the album is actually called In Thy Power.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
here are the 9.5 (Defecto) and 9's I wasn't familiar with

Defecto   When Daylight Dies
Wonderworld   Remember My Words
Striker   Phoenix Lights
Sound Storm   Forsaken
Prong   Worth Pursuing
Pareidolia   Quench the Fire
Metal Church   It Waits
Maverick   Mademoiselle
Mark Wood   Fire 'n Ice
Fake Idols   Sail
Dylem   Pluie de cristal
Delain   Danse Macabre
Claudio Cordero   Cas Na Pivo
Cauldron   Corridors of Dust
Artillery   Sin Of Innocence

And the 8.5's

Infectious Grooves   Therapy
Anthrax   Breathing Lightning
Flotsam and Jetsam   Forbidden Territories
Wolf Hoffmann   Scherzo
Virtual Symmetry   Program Error (We Are the Virus)
Tango Down   Broken Heart
Syu   My Another Whispering
Sunrise   Star Ocean
Sinbreed   Across the Great Divides
Seven   Fight
Scythia   Loremaster pt. I
Rage of Angels   R.O.A.
Punky Meadows   The Price You Pay
Perc3ption   Immortality
Palace   Man Behind the Gun
Oceans of Time   Black Death
Nightmare   Dead Sun
Logar's Diary   Dreaming Wide Awake
Kayser   Debris (Of A Dream)
Humbucker   Traveling Through the Dark
Fractal Cypher   The Ghost of Myself
Fireland   Burning Scarecrow
Evan   Blue Lightning
Eternal Idol   Evil Tears
Divine Weep   Age Of The Immortal
The Defiants   Love and Bullets
Bobby Kimball   On My Feet
Billion Dollar Babies   Everyone's in Love with a Chemical God
Astralion   Ghosts Of Sahara
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Here are the bands I wasn't familiar with, and have squirrelled away on my "Ben/Brent" playlist on Spotify:

Astralion
Divine Weep
Eternal Idol
Evan
Fractal Cypher
Mark Wood
Mercy Isle
Michael Sweet (surprised I hadn't checked this one out)
Pareidolia
Perc3ption
Scythia
Anthrax
Trees of Eternity
Wolf Hoffmann
Tygers of Pan Tang
Tyketto

Others I already knew, or didn't quite float my boat enough to warrant checking them out.  I would've wanted to check out Syu, but alas... not on Spotify.

NOW BRING US THAT TOP 40!!!!  :getoffmylawn: