Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 905601 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I don't have that one. I do have Live At Saitima Super Arena. Haven't played it in ages. I need to fix that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just playing Halfords Live Insurrection cd.

This is a live album that doesn't get much attention, but IMO it's one of the best live metal albums of all time.

Rob is an absolute beast on this disc and it's one of my all time favorites.

Fucking brilliant live cd that one.

I don't have that one. I do have Live At Saitima Super Arena. Haven't played it in ages. I need to fix that.

I quite like that live album too.  That album got pretty average reviews, but I really enjoyed the more melodic rock side from it, some very cool songs on it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

This is a live album that doesn't get much attention, but IMO it's one of the best live metal albums of all time.

Played it a few weeks ago. Great live album. And great to hearBeyong The Realms Of Death on a live album with Rob. It should have been on Unleashed In The East. I have the original vinyl with it included as a bonus put bizarre to have left it off especially when it was remastered.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Unleashed in the East would have been upgraded from a A+ to an A++ if Beyond was included

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Agreed on Live Insurrection. Way underrated gem.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Played it a few weeks ago. Great live album. And great to hearBeyong The Realms Of Death on a live album with Rob. It should have been on Unleashed In The East. I have the original vinyl with it included as a bonus put bizarre to have left it off especially when it was remastered.

It just simply makes no sense not including this song on the actual album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Unleashed in the East would have been upgraded from a A+ to an A++ if Beyond was included

So, Beyond an A+?

:neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Voodoo Circle's new singer is Herbie Langhans, whoever that is. I'll have to check him out to see if he's any good.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lowdz

Voodoo Circle's new singer is Herbie Langhans, whoever that is. I'll have to check him out to see if he's any good.

To see if he sounds like Coverdale, you mean?  :biggrin:
He was on the Beyond The Bridge album that many here adore, and sang for Sinbreed. His voice with them  not Whitesnake-like but he may have another voice I guess.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

To see if he sounds like Coverdale, you mean?  :biggrin:

Exactly! :lol
I just want someone with a good fitting rocking voice though, and not some generic power metal singer.

edit: I just watched a random Sinbreed song, and he sounds promising. Although it was a different style of music, I think he could be a good fit. Hopefully there's a single soon to judge.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 04:53:39 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Sinbreed  :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

With Readman out, not sure how much interest I'll have in this band anymore.  Will still definitely check out some new material.  Wasn't that keen on the last one like Blob was.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I enjoyed all the samples I heard from Voodoo Circle, but never bought anything from them. Solid old school sound.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

With Readman out, not sure how much interest I'll have in this band anymore.  Will still definitely check out some new material.  Wasn't that keen on the last one like Blob was.

Given how much I enjoyed the last album (and the one before that too), anything they do is an automatic listen from me, but my interest is definitely decreased with him out. Otherwise it would be my most anticipated new release.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Voodoo Circle just posted a version of Heart of Stone (from the last album) with the new vocalist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUKYtq03ScU

Maybe it will be a bit better on new material that I haven't heard sung better, but nope. That rock style just doesn't come naturally to him.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Will listen later.

I picked up the Firewind on the weekend on and listened to the first half.  Definitely very good, with amazing guitar work.  Gus is becoming one of my fav current guitarists.

Offline Lowdz

Voodoo Circle just posted a version of Heart of Stone (from the last album) with the new vocalist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUKYtq03ScU

Maybe it will be a bit better on new material that I haven't heard sung better, but nope. That rock style just doesn't come naturally to him.

I thought that sounded ok. Better than I expected after checking out Sinbreed.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wow, that Voodoo Circle was terrible. I thought the guitars sounded cool, but that is inferior to everything I already have that it is trying to sound like.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
It was the best hard rock album of the decade imo. Doesn't help hearing the song with those vocal though.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It was the best hard rock album of the decade imo. Doesn't help hearing the song with those vocal though.

I'll have to find my copy and give it another spin.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Because I'm sure you'll agree with me. :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Because I'm sure you'll agree with me. :lol

Oh yeah, I forgot that one vital piece of information.  :P  I might not even bother and just it's crap now.  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
It would certainly save us some time. :biggrin:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I wanted to listen to the new Kreator I bought on the weekend, but I just put the Voodoo Circle on instead to check out again.   :biggrin:

1 minute in and fuck I love Readman's voice.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That Sykes solo in the first song is laughable, but brilliantly done at the same time.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

I still really need to check out some Pink Cream 69.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I still really need to check out some Pink Cream 69.

He's done some really cool stuff.

The Almanac was really good last year, and even the early neo-classical stuff he did with Adagio was pretty impressive. 

His solo album is defintiely one of my fav albums from him, if not my fav, check it out Blob.  Has Alex Beyrodt featured which lead to teh incarnation of Voodoo Circle.

Up to Medicine Man, and this is a lot more impressive and dare I saw mature from this band.  Maybe it just wasn't what I expected when it came out.  The first song was killer with a great chorus.  The second song was pretty generic but more enjoyable than what it was.  Watch and Wait is definitely something original and gives me a late 80's vibe or something.  Great songwriting on this one killer song structure.  Medicine Man reminds me of Zakk era Ozzy too, which is great.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I can see the Zakk comparison with that riff. Medicine Man is perhaps my favourite on the album. So much energy. Watch and Wait is also something a bit different for them, probably more influence from Zeppelin than taking it second hand from Whitesnake. :lol I also love Heartbreaking Woman, which is one of the more direct Whitesnake influenced tracks. I'm not a fan of track 5 at all.

Thanks for the suggestions on Readman. Wasn't even aware of any of those outside of PC69.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Heart of Stone is a good one too.  I got through that one and then had a listen to the new guy, and he sounds terrible compared to Readman.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Heart of Stone is a good one too.  I got through that one and then had a listen to the new guy, and he sounds terrible compared to Readman.

He's a good singer but just doesn't have that warmth in his voice to pull off the Whitesnake thang.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

Yeah, he's really not suited to this music. I think he's a good metal singer, but this is out of his wheelhouse.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I can see the Zakk comparison with that riff. Medicine Man is perhaps my favourite on the album. So much energy. Watch and Wait is also something a bit different for them, probably more influence from Zeppelin than taking it second hand from Whitesnake. :lol I also love Heartbreaking Woman, which is one of the more direct Whitesnake influenced tracks. I'm not a fan of track 5 at all.

Thanks for the suggestions on Readman. Wasn't even aware of any of those outside of PC69.

If track 5 is the first ballad, I really enjoyed that one.  Great chorus which reminds me heavily of something else but I can't figure it out.

Okay, Straight Shooter is more Whitesnake ripping, pretty standard but enjoyable.  Now Rhythm of My Heart is a great smooth groove, again with terrific vocals, and Alex immitating Sykes.  His Sykes solos are like him saying, "Look Dave, I could have filled that guitarist spot, so what if my hair isn't blonde." haha.

He's a good singer but just doesn't have that warmth in his voice to pull off the Whitesnake thang.

Yeah, not at all.  Unless the band are looking to change direction but re-recording this track with him certainly doesn't seem to indicate that.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
If track 5 is the first ballad, I really enjoyed that one.  Great chorus which reminds me heavily of something else but I can't figure it out.

Not sure. It reminds me of something, but it's probably not what you're thinking of. Admittedly I rarely got that far into the song because I always skip it based on the intro. Might need to give it another chance!

As I pointed out at the time, Straight Shooter is almost identical musically to one of the new Whitesnake songs on their first live album since reforming (I posted a comparison a while ago). I like the back and forth between vocalists in that one.
Rhythm of My Heart is obviously trying to be Ain't No Love in the Heart of the City, but is still a really good song.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Devil Takes me Down is another classic sounding track by the numbers, but isn't offensive and a nice listen.  5 O'Clock is very interesting with the chorus actually reminding me of Jimmy Barnes' stuff.  Been Said and Done has a great mood and is a nice little stomper of a closer.

My copy has this track at 12 minutes which features another track which seems to be the bonus digipak track calld Coming Home to You.  This is one of the best songs by far IMO, not sure why this wasn't on the actual album, brilliant.  I remember discussing this with Blob when it came out and his version I believed didn't have this track.  Get a hold of it Blob for sure.  Also in this 12 minutes it has a nice little version of Ain't No Sunshine for some reason, but it's nice.

I remember listening to this album more than I thought when it came out and I'm glad I got it out again, it's a really nice, enjoyable album.  Have to go back through the other 3 albums now.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Not sure. It reminds me of something, but it's probably not what you're thinking of. Admittedly I rarely got that far into the song because I always skip it based on the intro. Might need to give it another chance!

As I pointed out at the time, Straight Shooter is almost identical musically to one of the new Whitesnake songs on their first live album since reforming (I posted a comparison a while ago). I like the back and forth between vocalists in that one.
Rhythm of My Heart is obviously trying to be Ain't No Love in the Heart of the City, but is still a really good song.

I remember you posting that audio and I think I saved it somewhere on my pc.  Have to find it.