Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 901981 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Yep - full of shit a lot of the time  :lol    Having said that I don't have any trouble believing that ALAC could be inferior to FLAC.   "Lossless is lossless" is like saying "a photocopy is a photocopy" .........the machinery (or in this case the FLAC codec vs ALAC codec) can make a difference.

A photocopy is analog, but a digitally lossless file is precisely that, so they are all equal in terms of quality. You could convert from one lossless format to another lossless format all day long, and never lose any quality.

That said, I'd still trust FLAC over anything from Apple. :biggrin: But as you said, not really worth worrying about. The bigger difference will be in the playback software/hardware, rather than the file format.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
How did I know that you would use technical jargon to destroy my analogy ?  :lol   I understand that they are different but my point stands - just because two codecs/copiers exist that claim to produce lossless/fine copies doesn't mean that they are both as effective as each other in all respects.   Many of these audiophile types believe (or did at some point in time)  that ALAC codec is inferior to FLAC.   I really don't care but I don't believe it's necessarily as simple as "if they say it's lossless it's lossless".   And yeah - I don't trust Apple either  ;)

We both agree that it's not worth worrying about - all I was saying is that until I see/hear proof of the codecs' equivalence I don't have any reason to believe Apple over the rogue audiophiles  :)   

You would hope that Apple wouldn't be dumb enough to produce a lossless codec that spits out stuff that isn't "bit for bit" equivalent to FLAC................maybe my memory of these arguments goes back to an early iteration of ALAC when there were some issues.

Anyway...............why are we talking about this shit? :lol
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 10:23:56 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Well I'm a nerd with nothing better to do. What's your excuse? :lol

What they might mean in ALAC vs FLAC is the file size. Lossless formats like that still compress the file size so that it isn't as big, but it doesn't lose any quality in the process unlike MP3. Maybe FLAC produces smaller file sizes than ALAC. So ALAC may be inferior in that way, despite the audio quality being identical.
The quality will theoretically beat any MP3 regardless, so yeah.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Enough with this stuff, lets get back to the rock!!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.

:metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't know why I even asked.  I don't even know what FLAC and ALAC means? :P
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
What they might mean in ALAC vs FLAC is the file size. Lossless formats like that still compress the file size so that it isn't as big, but it doesn't lose any quality in the process unlike MP3. Maybe FLAC produces smaller file sizes than ALAC. So ALAC may be inferior in that way, despite the audio quality being identical.
I just converted a couple of FLAC files to ALAC. The comparison is 34.4MB to 35MB, and 19.3MB to 19.7MB. So yeah, it does appear to be slightly less efficient data compression.

So as to not be off topic: :2metal: :neverusethis:

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I just converted a couple of FLAC files to ALAC. The comparison is 34.4MB to 35MB, and 19.3MB to 19.7MB. So yeah, it does appear to be slightly less efficient data compression.

So as to not be off topic: :2metal: :neverusethis:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Jason is going to go ape shit in a minute.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
He better not give me any.....FLAC!

:neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Jason is going to go ape shit in a minute.

I see what you did there!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
 :rollin
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
He better not give me any.....FLAC!

:neverusethis:

if he gets his hands on you, he'll shorten your life
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
OK JJ - can you please go back to the rock ?  :-*

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :lol

:metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
What the fuck is the flac?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
And I'll hire Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds to clean up this thread if need be lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
What the fuck is the flac?

"That's a flac, jack!"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
You requested my opinion on the new Firewind Kade............My first listen was very stop/start so I just gave it a proper "one sitting" second listen and it connected much more the second time around.   I have never been a big Firewind fan and , as you may remember , I rated Gus G's solo work much lower than you did.   His songwriting has never impressed me.  So I am a bit surprised to say that this is a very good album - by far the best thing I have heard from him.

Henning Basse does a fine job , sounding more than a bit like Rob Rock at times.   Gus G shreds a bit but plays very tastefully - his tone is reminiscent of prime TMac at times.

There's a number of very strong tracks (nothing mindblowing or original but plenty to like) and nothing sucks , which are the key ingredients for a good rating from me.   Only 10 tracks +1 bonus is nice too.......the filler really can be a killer these days.

My rating : 87%
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 11:00:32 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't know much about Firewind, but you piqued my interest when you mentioned that Basse sounded like Rob Rock. Checked out Hands of Time and there definitely is a Rob Rock singing vibe. Good tune!

Offline Lowdz

Worth a listen then. I've never given them much time.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Fucking nice Brent.  Gonna try and get my hands on it this weekend.  Comparing Gus to TMac is fair enough, he's a stellar guitarist.

Offline Lowdz

New Place Vendome. Yeah, won't be bothering with this.

https://youtu.be/O5JEGqYWeO0

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Didn't sound bad, but it sounds like every other Frontiers metal album, and the vocals let it down a bit. Musically it wasn't bad though, and the production is really good for a Frontiers album. Not one I'm personally interested in.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
Just got done listening to the new firewind for the first time. Very good record. Basse isnt Apollo, but hes much better than the guy that first took over for Apollo (was it kelly sundown?)

Album and vocals are solid top to bottom. If you are a firewind fan, it delivers for sure.  :tup

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That PV was ok, better than the first single. But really not feeling anything I'm hearing from this album and definitely wouldn't be picking it up

Kiske has clearly taken care of his voice over the years as he still sounds strong vocally.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Well, I'll be getting it. Love Kiske, and the music is jusk ok enough to get by.

The beginning to Herafter reminded me a bit of UFO's WE Belong To The Night.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That Place Vendome song is a DGM cover.  Why, I don't know.

Offline gazinwales

Firewind, nothing has ever done anything for me with them.
I've tried a few albums and to be brutally honest, I really think that they are  lower second tier band.
Solid, unspectacular and nothing at all that sets them apart from the umpteen other power metal bands doing the same thing.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I've tried a few albums and to be brutally honest, I really think that they are  lower second tier band.
Solid, unspectacular and nothing at all that sets them apart from the umpteen other power metal bands doing the same thing.

Funny it seems like they are definitely one of those bands that some like myself really rate them or they just totally miss the mark.

Offline Lowdz

Funny it seems like they are definitely one of those bands that some like myself really rate them or they just totally miss the mark.

Like Hammerfall. Started to play the latest one earlier and enjoyed the first track but I got about a mi ute into the  second and had to turn it off. That church hymn style chanting just makes me cringe. Played Herman Frank after it and that was much better

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Just playing Halfords Live Insurrection cd.

This is a live album that doesn't get much attention, but IMO it's one of the best live metal albums of all time.

Rob is an absolute beast on this disc and it's one of my all time favorites.