Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 908350 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Ah, this is more like it from Pretty Maids;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GbwIimwtaE

Could have come straight from Motherland, good stuff.  Phew!

way better then that first release

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
The Def Leppard show was pretty good. Tesla was great
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brent, I love those Damien Black tunes. I would've been all over that in 1994. The band name sounds familiar.

I liked the first Sanvoison tune too. Holy Geoff Tate!  Did each of these singers do anything else? Where are they from?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Can't link on my phone, but apparently Cliff Williams has retired.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Glenn Hughes;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7P3zt11vQQ

Certainly nothing new at all, but pretty cool.  Glenn still sounds fucking amazing, although he looks like he needs a large Big Mac meal or two.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, I love those Damien Black tunes. I would've been all over that in 1994. The band name sounds familiar.

I liked the first Sanvoison tune too. Holy Geoff Tate!  Did each of these singers do anything else? Where are they from?

I actually thought you really disliked those tunes Tim ..........

Oh, and I think there's a reason those bands with the high pitched vocals were obscure! :lol

............so I am glad I interpreted that wrong  ;D

Sanvoisen had another album and after that I have heard of the singer producing albums for others but nothing much on the singing front.

Damien Black didn't make it past demo stage so not sure about them.

Not a good time to be releasing good stuff in 1994.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 07:23:05 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I knew you'd bring up that first quote!

There's so much to chew on on these podcasts. I wasn't crazy about the second Sanvoisin track, so I think if halo effected the entire block. I went back and listened yesterday.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
All good  :lol   Somebody seems to be spreading the word as (even allowing for a few double ups across the first and second versions) it has been downloaded 30 times  :omg:

We're about to have our lives upturned again soon  (we only moved 6 months ago and have been told our landlord is selling  >:( ) , so I am busting my ass to get these 1988 podcasts done for you before things go nuts.  Should have the first one done by next week...........ish  :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
(we only moved 6 months ago and have been told our landlord is selling  >:( ) , so I am busting my ass to get these 1988 podcasts done for you before things go nuts.  Should have the first one done by next week...........ish  :)

That fucking sucks man.  Don't stress if things get in the way Brent, we'll be happy if we have to wait.  :smiley:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
No worries...........doing this stuff is fun and keeps my mind off other things.

it is a bit weird being on the tenant side of the equation.  I have been a landlord ever since I was 18 and was comfortably retired at 30 yo.   Now learning a rough lesson about trusting mates in business.  ::)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
1988 was only 29 years ago. We've waited that long for a recap, so definitely no issue waiting a bit longer!

comfortably retired at 30 yo.   

Did you invent Facebook or something?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
No worries...........doing this stuff is fun and keeps my mind off other things.

it is a bit weird being on the tenant side of the equation.  I have been a landlord ever since I was 18 and was comfortably retired at 30 yo.   Now learning a rough lesson about trusting mates in business.  ::)

:omg: :omg: :omg:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Not doing me any good now and I actually got my dates wrong.............more like 32yo.  ;)  No I did not invent Facebook.   I spent 6 or 7 years working 20 hr days ( teaching myself and working the share market/property market during the day and graveyard shifts in a late night pharmacy at night).  Doing my best to repeat the effort but don't rate my chances at this point.......even the smartest minds in the financial markets are throwing in the towel these days thanks to the endless manipulation of governments etc....and I am starting from a much weaker position.

Anyway...........not my favourite topic at the moment so should've shut my trap  :lol

back to the music - and I think I have just discovered a very cool South American metal band that will be featuring in my Best of 2016

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So let's talk about 1988 instead!!

Here are the concerts I attended in 1988.

1988..1/2..Ace Frehley..The Living Room Providence
1988..2/15..Armored Saint.. The Living Room Providence
1988..4/20..Megadeth, Warlock, Santuary, Vet’s Memorial Auditorium Providence
1988..5/6..AC/DC, LA Guns..Worcester Centrum
1988..6/26..Van Halen, Scorpions, Dokken, Metallica, Kingdom Come..Giants Stadium
1988..7/17..Iron Maiden, Ace Frehley..Worcester Centrum
1988..7/20..Iron Maiden, Ace Frehley..Providence Civic Center
1988..7/30..Def Leppard, Europe..Great Woods Mansfield MA
1988..8/24..Aerosmith, Guns n Roses..Great Woods  Mansfield MA
1988..9/6..Flotsam & Jetsam..The Living Room Providence
1988..9/13..Scorpions, Kingdome Come..Worcester Centrum
1988..9/22..Rod Stewart..Worcester Centrum
1988..9/28..Def Leppard, Queensryche..Worcester Centrum
1988..10/1..Hothouse Flowers..The Living Room Providence
1988..10/27..Slayer, Overkill.. Vet’s Memorial Auditorium Providence
1988..11/3..Armored Saint.. The Living Room Providence

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Awesome Tim - that Van Halen one would be the Monsters of Rock  :tup

I hadn't attended a concert in 1988 (14 yo)........missed many of the very best years  :-\  Not that most of those bands toured here anyway.  ::)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yup, the MOR tour. My college roommate lived in NJ, and we visited each other during the year centered around a show. I saw the MOR tour down there, and he came up for the Maiden show in Providence.

I had tix to two other shows that year. I think when VH came back to tour arenas, I'm pretty sure I sold off my tickets. Can't remember why. Must've needed the money. I also bought Elton John tix, but ended up selling them and making some cash.
I was smack dab in the middle of my college years.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
That MOR tour was a big financial failure if I remember correctly.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I posted this pic before. It was actually taken while Metallica was on stage.

Van Halen on stage:

On the way to New Jersey:

In the Heavy Metal Parking Lot before the show. I have the Finland shirt on, and NO, I was not fat as that shirt made me look. There was a breeze!
The guy in the middle was my friend, Joey, who came with me. Brent, I'm sure you'll appreciate his t shirt! The other guy is my friend from college, Steve.

I was 19 during this summer.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I do appreciate it - in fact I think I have one  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I do appreciate it - in fact I think I have one  :lol

That kid was nuts. He was a year younger than me. For the VH 1984 tour, he skipped school and took a bus to Providence to wait in line for tix. He was only 14 at the time. WTF.. But we got into the second show so it was cool!
During Scorps, there was a HUGE paper cup fight between the upper and lower decks of the stadium. He was caught throwing shit around and was ejected! He had to wait while we watched VH.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I can only imagine how loud that Slayer and Overkill concert was

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
He needed to compensate for Rod Stewart and Hothouse Flowers  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

What?

He needed to compensate for Rod Stewart and Hothouse Flowers  ;D

Haha. So anyway, my GF at the time wanted to go. We got like 6th row center, and I have to say, it was an awesome show.

For the Hothouse Flowers, I lived with a guy that was into them. It wasn't my thing, but like 6 of us went in for the show and it was incredible. The Living Room was a tiny club. For GnR a year earlier, I thought the place was packed, but for the HF, you literally could not move. I was stunned as how many people were there. I had never even heard of them. But I'll tell you, they were an amazing live band.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

South Of Heaven tour!

What I remember about the show was when we were leaving, across the street, there were two dozen police officers side by side in a perfect line, and they each had a German Sheppard. It was a surreal sight. I wish I had my camera with me for that.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Really touching moment when Angus brings Cliff to the front of the stage at the end of the song.

https://bravewords.com/news/ac-dc-watch-video-of-bassist-cliff-williams-final-show

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
So will this be the end of ACDC or just one more replacement?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brent, hoping you found a way to sneak Fields Of The Niphilim's The Nephilim into the 1988 podcasts. That was my sleeper album of 1988.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
https://bravewords.com/news/former-accept-guitarist-herman-frank-to-release-the-devil-rides-out-solo-album-in-november-details-revealed

Rick Altzi on vocals! Nice!

His other album Right In The Guts also features Rick Altzi if you don't already have it.

Brent, hoping you found a way to sneak Fields Of The Niphilim's The Nephilim into the 1988 podcasts. That was my sleeper album of 1988.

They don't show up in any of the resources I use for my lists.  I try to be as comprehensive as possible but inevitably some will fall through the cracks.    They come up as indie gothic rock so I am not surprised they weren't on my radar  :lol   Will check it out and see if it makes it.    Too late for the Top 60 (first) podcast but I'll squeeze it into the 2nd  if I like it.

I have Celebrate in my iTunes (possibly because you recommended them before)..........if that's indicative then they will certainly stand out in a hard rock/metal show :lol
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 08:41:49 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I definitely don't have the Frank album.

I wouldn't have recommended Celebrate from The Nephilim. Maybe Moonchild or Endemoniada. Or Love Under Will.
maybe it wouldn't jive with a classic hard rock podcast..

Awesome album though!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
His other album Right In The Guts also features Rick Altzi if you don't already have it.

this is a good album
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I will check it out!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Speaking of 1988, just throwing Death's Leprosy out there as I doubt Brent will give it a mention.  :tup

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Speaking of 1988, just throwing Death's Leprosy out there as I doubt Brent will give it a mention.  :tup

HA!  I was just looking through my 1988 albums last night and came across that one thinking there was not much chance it would be mentioned.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

HA!  I was just looking through my 1988 albums last night and came across that one thinking there was not much chance it would be mentioned.

www.theguitardojo.com.au