Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 908590 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
To follow up Tim's opinion of Pantera; for me, I actually prefer their 4 hair metal albums in the 80's to anything post Cowboys.  Cemetery Gates is a good tune though.

I have never listened to one Pantera album. Ever.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I would be interested to hear what you think of the album "power metal".  Its a totally different band then what Pantera is known for.  The three before that are even more different- almost Poison level.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I would be interested to hear what you think of the album "power metal".  Its a totally different band then what Pantera is known for.  The three before that are even more different- almost Poison level.

Is that the one that has a rainbow colored cover or something like that? I had a friend back then that was into them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Is that the one that has a rainbow colored cover or something like that? I had a friend back then that was into them.

No thats a different one I believe.  The first 4 Pantera album covers have a budget of 14 dollars combined.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
As much of a Pantera fan I am, I can honestly say that I've never heard the first 4 albums.  Such a weird situaton how the band always just wrote them off like the neve existed.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
They are not on Spotify. I checked.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The band truly ignored that they exist.  I don't think they'll ever get officially re-released. Actually I don't think they've ever been officially released on cd, just bootlegs

Offline Lowdz

To follow up Tim's opinion of Pantera; for me, I actually prefer their 4 hair metal albums in the 80's to anything post Cowboys.  Cemetery Gates is a good tune though.

Back after a few days with no internet  >:( so not downloaded the podcast yet.

I heard the Power Metal album by them and hated it. The later stuff is too shouty for me, and Darrel was way overrated as a player. He's ok, but no more than that.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The band truly ignored that they exist.  I don't think they'll ever get officially re-released. Actually I don't think they've ever been officially released on cd, just bootlegs

Yeah, no official releases at all.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Back after a few days with no internet  >:( so not downloaded the podcast yet.

I heard the Power Metal album by them and hated it. The later stuff is too shouty for me, and Darrel was way overrated as a player. He's ok, but no more than that.

Even though I say that I prefer them, I still wasn't a huge fan. They were pretty generic actually, but still decent. I've just never been a big fan of the known version of Pantera. So when I heard their 80s hair metal albums, that caught my attention. But it was just a casual listen.

Pantera does do a good job with Cat Scratch Fever

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, you're doing great work here.  These podcasts are awesome!

Seconded!

And I have I guess what may be a controversial take. Not criticizing Brent's choice in any way, but just under the vein of music discussion....is that Cemetery Gates does absolutely NOTHING for me.

You continue to surprise me with things that you DO like that I wasn't expecting and vice versa.  But I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and in one way or another you'll discover something new to like  :lol   And I will have a better strike rate than a roulette - I am no chance in a TAC roulette  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

You continue to surprise me with things that you DO like that I wasn't expecting and vice versa.   

:lol
Yeah, that's why I threw it out there. Just a discussion point. NOT a criticism. These shows are great.

Tyson's Dog  :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Tyson's dog writes most of Geoff Tate's recent material FYI .
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Tyson's dog writes most of Geoff Tate's recent material FYI .

Really?? Maybe Tyson's Dog needs to be put to sleep!

That track had that classic Stand Up And Shout riff.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
As much of a Pantera fan I am, I can honestly say that I've never heard the first 4 albums.  Such a weird situaton how the band always just wrote them off like the neve existed.

I mostly disregard them even though I'm a fan of that earlier style in general, but Power Metal has some great stuff. I'd say check that one out at least. We'll Meet Again is an awesome song.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I mostly disregard them even though I'm a fan of that earlier style in general, but Power Metal has some great stuff. I'd say check that one out at least. We'll Meet Again is an awesome song.

I'll have to do that after I get through Brent's podcast I think.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The Heavy Bones was a great tune.

Cemetary Gates  :metal

The Sabbath Stones  :metal :metal :metal

I'm with you Brent as you know with Sabbath.  My guitar teacher introduced me to my first Sabbath song in Computer God, which blew me away.  He taught me Paranoid and from there I really explored every Sabbath era at the same time, depending on which albums I could find in stores.  The Tony Martin stuff was the stuff that really got me going though, along with DIo of course.  But the Tony Martin stuff is always and still is my personal favourite form of Sabbath.

The Rondinelli album is decent without being spectacular, but a cool listen.  Anything with Tony Martin is worth a listen IMO.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brent, I'm up to Scatterbrain.

That Riot tune was great. Never heard that album. I'll have to get it.
I would've never guessed in a million years that that was Steve Grimmett. Of course, all I've heard from him is early Grim Reaper.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Brent, a correction on one of the songs/bands.  You played "Kamikaze" by the band Villain, but talked about "Kamikaze" by Drive.  (both songs are great, btw)

So when you said that song was not indicative of what you were playing at the end of the podcast, you really meant it!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Brent, I'm up to Scatterbrain.

I used to love that band. The video for Down With The Ship was awesome.  :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I really like Pantera, but I've never heard those first four record. The band themselves did almost pretend that they don't exist. I'm kinda curious how they sound.

Cemetary Gates is a classic.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, a correction on one of the songs/bands.  You played "Kamikaze" by the band Villain, but talked about "Kamikaze" by Drive.  (both songs are great, btw)

So when you said that song was not indicative of what you were playing at the end of the podcast, you really meant it!

Damn - right you are.  Drive does have a song called Kamikaze and in my rush to finish I have drag/dropped in the wrong one.  Unfortunately in the software it only highlights the track name (not artist) unless I manually alter everything , which makes the odd error a chance as I do these podcasts in dozens (if not hundreds) of little bits over months.  Sorry about that.

Villian's song is cool too luckily and not a massive change from Drive :lol

« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 07:06:26 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
here's the (corrected) song list anyway............

1. Ozzy Osbourne – Bark At The Moon
2. Megadeth – Set The World Afire
3. Anthrax – Antisocial

4. In Malice’s Wake- Eternal Nightfall
5.Crystal Eyes – Battlefield
6. Tyran Pace – Night of the Wolves

7 Damien Black – The Sky Is Falling
8) Damien Black – Dead of Winter
9) Sanvoisen : What I Mean
10) Sanvoisen : Tears For No One

11) Vicious Rumours : When Love Comes Down
12) Tysondog : The Machine
13) Titan Force : Chase Your Dreams

14) Rough Cutt : Dreamin’ Again
15) Phenomena: No Retreat, No Surrender
16) Heavy Bones: Dead End St

17) Pantera: Cemetery Gates
18) Hear’n’Aid: Stars
19) Black Sabbath : The Sabbath Stones

20) Rondinelli : Time
21) Riot : Turn The Tide
22) Sacred Mother Tongue: Evolve/Become

23) Steve Grimmett: Afterglow
24) Human Fortress: Schattentor
25) Eldritch : Before I Die

26) Fair Warning (AUS) : Love To Rock’n’Roll
27) Scatterbrain: Logic
28) Defecto: Excluded

29)Metal Church : It Waits
30) Snakeyes: Black and White
31) Innerwish : Broken

32) Jester’s March: Rain Falls
33) Sunburst : Symbol of Life
34) Mercury Falling: Queen of Pain

35) Gamma ray : Heading For Tomorrow (edit)
36 Heavens Gate : Can’t Stop Rockin’
37) Villain: Kamikaze

38) AC/DC: T.N.T
39) Van Halen : Jump
40) KISS: Love Gun

41) Kiko Loureiro : Enfermo

42) DRIVE : Diablero (Feature Album)
Remember
Dream Ceremony
A Character In Time
Once Again
Barrio Blues
Brujo

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
What?? No Spoiler Warning??

Brent, can you provide the tracklists for the prior podcasts?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
What?? No Spoiler Warning??

I did say I was going to post it later in the week and it's Friday (here) -  and I'm sure you could've switched off after reading the first few tracks if you really wanted to  :D

Brent, can you provide the tracklists for the prior podcasts?

I can't just copy/paste a detailed list (or any list) out of the software unfortunately so that would involve going back and manually checking tracks and typing it up for each podcast.  I will do it at some point for reference but I don't really have time at present...............and I have made an absolute flying start on the Best of 1988 podcasts and don't want to break my rhythm.  ;)

I will get to it eventually.  I think we discussed the idea of a tracklist after the last one and that is why I typed one up as I went with this new one.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I didn't see anything I shouldn't have. I'm up to Scatterbrain. Will likely get in another 45-60 minutes on the way to work in the morning. This has been an awesome show so far.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Dreamin Again by Rough Cutt is one of my favorite ballads. I sent it to Chad in one of his roulettes (scored poorly).

Brent is giving Dee a run for his money!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Dreamin Again by Rough Cutt is one of my favorite ballads. I sent it to Chad in one of his roulettes (scored poorly).

What does he know? ;D

It's an awesome song. Might be 30 years since I've heard it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Brent is giving Dee a run for his money!

Yeah - great song.

I just checked out a few of Dee's playlists and I think he could perhaps , maybe give me a run for my money.  Where's the rarities man?  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I bet Dee has never played Tyson's Dog!!!

I also bet that Dee has no idea what JJ plays on his way to WrestleMania!!!! :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I bet Dee has never played Tyson's Dog!!!
   :lol

I bet nobody has.    And that's how I think about it - I want maybe 20% of songs on there to have pretty much never been heard on radio anywhere.  Another percentage of classics, new releases etc.....

To me the magic of radio growing up was discovering new bands.   A retro "all classics" show like Dee's is a great idea too but it's probably not something that would hold my attention for an extended period if I wasn't discovering new bands here and there.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
To me the magic of radio growing up was discovering new bands. 

This is how I felt listening to the podcast this morning on my way to work. I literally felt 14 again. So thank you for that.
I listened to a metal show on Saturday nights and it's there that I first heard Queen Of The Reich, Hit The Lights, Stand Up A Shout, Fast As A Shark, etc..

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
I can post the playlists for all the previous shows tomorrow when I get to work
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Good stuff - and I will focus on getting out the "remasters "  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
He who HATH understanding...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 05:38:58 AM by TAC »