Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 908492 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Here you go guys...........

https://yadi.sk/d/RKEPh6_av3fFD

Four hours of headbanging for you - as per usual I have tried to included a nice mix of well known classics and rarities.   I will post a list of all the tracks later in the week for your reference.

You may notice that I have changed the host site - it allows some extra Youtube style functionality ( in-browser play , rating, comment etc...) in addition to the download and also seems to be faster than Mega.    I'm not really fussed about promoting to anyone outside this thread but I can also see the number of views/downloads , so it'll be interesting to see if any of the DTF Guests that look in on this thread are listening.

Anyway.........hope you enjoy it.  And I will gradually begin work on the Best of 1988 podcast/s.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 10:10:40 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Looking forward to downloading this later tonight and start listening.  :metal

Hope you get a few extra clicks for your trouble too Brent.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

will have a look tonight. Been stupidly busy with a kitchen refit so not been around much. Will give me something to listen to whilst I finish off. Nice one Brent.

Offline Lowdz

There was some pretty funny stuff around back then when the shred side of things got a bit ridiculous.

Does anyone remember a gent called Guy Mann Dude?  :lol

Me too. Shit album but the cover of Paint It Black was ok.
Not heard that Fredianelli album and don't remember seeing it around. Doesn't sound Like I missed much. Is Grunge shred a contradiction in terms?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
There was some pretty funny stuff around back then when the shred side of things got a bit ridiculous.

Does anyone remember a gent called Guy Mann Dude?  :lol

Me too. Shit album but the cover of Paint It Black was ok.
Not heard that Fredianelli album and don't remember seeing it around. Doesn't sound Like I missed much. Is Grunge shred a contradiction in terms?

I've never heard of it haha.

Downloading the podcast now!!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

but what a name  :metal

Speaking of "haven't heard of".........all that stuff you posted in the 90's thread  ;D

Sadly the reason I came on to post is re the death of Leonard Haze (Y&T) aged 61.  RIP  :-\
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
There's a 90s thread?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
There's a 90s thread?

SOmething about a 90's playlist - I only checked in because I saw "wolfking" on the last post.

I am mostly allergic to the 90's mainstream.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
you would blow your brains out if you tried to listen to the list of songs I just posted  :lol
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent-  All radio shows should start off with Dio "We Rock"   

:metal :metal :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Downloading now!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Into The Lungs Of Hell/Set The World Afire!!! :metal :metal :metal

In Malice's Wake needs a new vocalist...but DAMN, the music is AMAZING!!!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 02:55:32 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

but what a name  :metal

Speaking of "haven't heard of".........all that stuff you posted in the 90's thread  ;D

Sadly the reason I came on to post is re the death of Leonard Haze (Y&T) aged 61.  RIP  :-\

Haha, guilty as charged with the 90's stuff.  :biggrin:

Yeah saw that about Haze, sad stuff, too young.

The podcast took a while to download for me so I'll start listening tonight.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oh shoot, I didn't see the above post about Leonard Haze. WOW. WTF??

My condolences to Bosk.

Offline Imaginos

Wow, that really sucks about Leonard Haze. RIP. He was a really powerful drummer and it's insane how fast he was with just one bass drum pedal.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Into The Lungs Of Hell/Set The World Afire!!! :metal :metal :metal

In Malice's Wake needs a new vocalist...but DAMN, the music is AMAZING!!!

Fuck no.  Listening to a bit of the podcast now and thanks for thinking of me with this track Brent, fucking blistering.  So many damn Aussie bands that I just don't know, incredible.  Definitely gives me a Testament vibe in the vox which is good.  Production on this is solid as too.  Finishes too early though.

This podcast is off to a brilliant start.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
The track I played is definitely one of their more melodic , lighter songs  :lol  They're a damn heavy band.

Thanks for the early feedback - 10 downloads already so it looks like a few outside of our regular crowd are getting into it.  I can start shopping around for advertising now :P

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The track I played is definitely one of their more melodic , lighter songs  :lol  They're a damn heavy band.

Thanks for the early feedback - 10 downloads already so it looks like a few outside of our regular crowd are getting into it.  I can start shopping around for advertising now :P

mr.com?  Oh wait, too much testosterone.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I meant getting people to advertise on my show , given the huge audience  :lol

Maybe if I start doing some Frontiers reviews on the show..................99%,98%,99%,100%...........Mario and the Frontiers "Mob " might sling me a brown paper bag every now and then.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol  Yeah, mr.com! haha

Seriously though, it's good to see a few potential lurkers checking this good shit out too.

Hmmm......the Crystal Eyes was quite fucking excellent.  I have heard you throw the name around before and that's the first I've heard from them I think.  Really strong power metal right here.  Even though you recommended a couple of others, I might have to check the one with Heiman, love that guys voice.  The Tyran Pace which funnily enough I've never checked out was really solid too.

Off to bed and will pick up again tomorrow night.  :metal

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I am one of the downloaders but I don't know when I'll get around to listening to it - I still have half of podcast #1 and all of podcasts #2 #3 and #4 to listen to first.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
thanks for thinking of me with this track Brent, fucking blistering.  So many damn Aussie bands that I just don't know, incredible.  Definitely gives me a Testament vibe in the vox which is good.  Production on this is solid as too.  Finishes too early though.

ditto.  My first thought as well!
Winger would be better!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
:lol  Yeah, mr.com! haha

Seriously though, it's good to see a few potential lurkers checking this good shit out too.

Hmmm......the Crystal Eyes was quite fucking excellent.  I have heard you throw the name around before and that's the first I've heard from them I think.  Really strong power metal right here.  Even though you recommended a couple of others, I might have to check the one with Heiman, love that guys voice.  The Tyran Pace which funnily enough I've never checked out was really solid too.

Off to bed and will pick up again tomorrow night.  :metal

Crystal Eyes are quite good, yep. I've got them from Brent in my first roulette and I really enjoyed the album. I need to revisit it.

I also need to download the podcast, but I have no idea when I'll have time to listen to it. With this Arjen thread, Chad sending me EPs, new cool albums being released right and left, I don't know when I will be able to check it.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brent, I'm about a quarter of the way through.

That Tyson's Dog track was awesome. And while I was a bit iffy in the Titan Force at the beginning, it won me over.

But I cannot agree with you on the Vicious Rumors. That was pretty bad.

Damn, I have not heard this Rough Cutt track in 30 years. Great track. Always loved Paul Shortino's voice. Saw them open for Dio in '85.

Oh, and I think there's a reason those bands with the high pitched vocals were obscure! :lol

So far so awesome!! :tup

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Can't say I've ever heard of Tyson Dog

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Oh, and I think there's a reason those bands with the high pitched vocals were obscure! :lol

The first one is a demo so I was more looking at potential there (some of his high notes were a bit cringe inducing I admit) , but I thought Sanvoisen would go down alright.

It seems some of the volume equalisation has gone a bit off and a number of tracks are quite distorted at volume.  I "proof listen" to the podcast on my office speakers (quite low volume) ans it has sounded fine , so haven't picked up on this.  I manually adjust track volumes (which vary hugely due to the time frames, recording tech, source ) so that everything sounds good here but it seems that may not be carrying over properly.

I will experiment around , get the levels down and play around with some different volume normalising methods and see if I can make it a bit better.  The more modern tracks (as imported) are clipped to hell which is always a bad start. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 09:12:10 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
OK - I think I have found a quick fix ............one simple step I can add in the "post production" to knock off any distortion you guys are hearing.  It turns out that despite my individual track adjustments the overall gain on the final "rendered" track is way too high.  You should expect very good sound quality with such a large sound file @ 320 , so hopefully this is a solution.

For those of you who want to bump up the sound quality , check the new link in the OP from a couple of hours after this post.   Please let me know if you notice the same dramatic improvement that I have created at my end.   If so , then I will go ahead and apply the same fix to all the prior podcasts and re-upload/adjust links.

Thanks for your patience - beginner's corner here with this stuff  :angel:

Shouldn't be an issue from here on in.

One more thing ..............the metadata is the same as the old file.  I have noticed in iTunes that even though I have drag/dropped the new one into a playlist that it continues to just put the old one there (thinking it is the same and already downloaded).  So if you are going to do it , either delete the old one first  or (as I have now done) change the metadata for the new file in Properties so your player recognises the difference.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 10:42:34 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I've had feedback that it's much better now, so will apply the same fix to the old podasts and re-upload/link gradually over the next week or two.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Brent, you're doing great work here.  These podcasts are awesome!
Winger would be better!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Thanks mate - and apologies again for the (now sorted) sound quality issues.  Already started on Best of 1988. :metal
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 12:41:04 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
About an hour through now. Those demos from those Ryche style bands (can't remember the names at the moment) were really cool.  The Vicious Rumors ballad was solid too and still a band I need to check out more from my roulette.

The Titan Force was awesome.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Seconded!

And I have I guess what may be a controversial take. Not criticizing Brent's choice in any way, but just under the vein of music discussion....is that Cemetery Gates does absolutely NOTHING for me.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
take it to the controversial music opinions thread!
Winger would be better!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
To follow up Tim's opinion of Pantera; for me, I actually prefer their 4 hair metal albums in the 80's to anything post Cowboys.  Cemetery Gates is a good tune though.