Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 908697 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Pretty good tune

I'm glad Frontiers hasn't changed Primal Fears sound drastically.  I would flip.

I honestly do find it quite surprising they are still with Frontiers and have produced the last two amazing albums.  Just seems like one of those rare, opposite attracts type of situation.  They tried to change their sound a bit when they signed with them on New Religion.  I think Magnus getting involved to be honest was a push from Frontiers, but it kind of backfired yet produced something better in the lineup we have now.  Probably reading too much into it all but just my point of view.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Just read this on Melodicrock.com:

TATE, OWENS & BAYLEY From Touring Combo TRINITY
Fans can expect to hear such songs as "Empire," "I Don't Believe in Love," "Eyes of a Stranger," "Living After Midnight," "Breaking the Law," "You've Got Another Thing Comin'," "Burn in Hell," "Man on the Edge," "The Number of the Beast" and "Run to the Hills" among others.
(Bolded by me for emphasis)

Apart from generally wondering who is going to see them, and that they should be more properly named "The Rejects", I'm wondering about the above song choices. At least Tate is singing his "own" songs. But the rest is like DLR singing Van Hagar songs on his solo tour or Slash playing Chinese Democracy tunes with Miles Kennedy or Charlie Dominici singing Pull Me Under.

Do they not have enough songs on their own?

Do they think the fans come purely because of the bands they are formerly of, and if so, why aren't they playing songs from that period when they were in said bands?

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Do they not have enough songs on their own?

Do they think the fans come purely because of the bands they are formerly of, and if so, why aren't they playing songs from that period when they were in said bands?

For any chance of the tour being a slight success, there is no way that they could rely on 66% of the act playing songs only from The X Factor, Virtual XI, Jugulator and Demolition, there just isn't enough there, no matter how much someone like myself loves those albums.  Especially since they are former singers of such huge bands, it's no surprise to me at all that they are playing Rob and Bruce songs.  In fact, I'd be shocked if they didn't.

Offline Kwyjibo

Well I'm not surprised, they might draw more attention by playing known hit songs, but for me this makes it an overpayed but inferior cover band.

OK, maybe I'm too hard on these guys but I miss the originality, the creativity and the integrity(*) of being a musician.This is just a cash grab. They aren't even trying to make a stand with their own music.

(*) I know the irony of putting the words integrity and Tate in the same sentence.

Offline Lowdz

As long as Ripper is singing the Queensryche songs, it'll be fine  :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I wouldnt be surprised if these three put a full album together.  I'm sure Tim would be the first in line to get it lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I wouldnt be surprised if these three put a full album together.  I'm sure Tim would be the first in line to get it lol

Tim Owens?  That's about it  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :lol

I was thinking the same thing. I like Blaze though. I totally respect what he's done post Maiden.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
.....until now.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
The stuff Blaze did immediately after leaving Maiden was awesome. Probably better than the two Maiden albums he did. I highly recommend the live album As Live As It Gets. Has a good amount of Maiden and Wolfsbane stuff, but also an awesome primer of his first two studio albums. One of my favorites.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That live album is fantastic.

He had such a strong lineup for those first three solo albums, just quality metal. 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I just found this absolute steaming turd in my collection.  I must've been just buying everything with a "shredder" on it at the time - or maybe I just bought it for the cover  :metal  ;D

Hmm - it was on Shrapnel , so I possibly assumed that there would be some quality control.  Nope.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 09:51:14 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

The cover alone is worth the purchase  :metal

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
:lol I managed to exactly guess the year it came out by the flannel look.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
The cover alone is worth the purchase  :metal

But when you add the back cover. (and song titles)...........................bargain :2metal:

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

What is this?

Grunge-shred? Alternative Hair-Metal?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I need to check that one out for myself.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Chewy Caramello Blando  :metal

So I checked out a couple tracks on Youtube. It's definitely demo quality, as if it was recorded in his mother's basement. But it's pretty groovy. The lead playing is horrible though.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 05:44:32 AM by TAC »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
There was some pretty funny stuff around back then when the shred side of things got a bit ridiculous.

Does anyone remember a gent called Guy Mann Dude?  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I absolutely remember Guy Mann Dude!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP91QFbuvAk

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Nice  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I absolutely remember Guy Mann Dude!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP91QFbuvAk

Haha, it's called Sleight of Hand yet he plays like shit.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I just found this absolute steaming turd in my collection.  I must've been just buying everything with a "shredder" on it at the time - or maybe I just bought it for the cover  :metal  ;D

Hmm - it was on Shrapnel , so I possibly assumed that there would be some quality control.  Nope.

Sampled 2 tracks, absolute garbage.  Hang your head in shame Shrapnel!  :lol  I would have thought Ray Luzier would have known better.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Although my copy has Shrapnel on it , the back cover I showed above has Roadrunner.  Looks like labels were falling over themselves to sign the excitable , slimy guy in the flannel shirt who can't play  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I wasn't aware Prog Snob made an album!

Some answers coming soon in the Ask Prog Snob thread.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Racking my brain on Guy Mann Dude and where do I know him from...If I'm not mistaken, didn't he play on Alice Cooper's Trash album? Have to check the liner notes...

Offline Kwyjibo

Wikipedia says yes. But it also says that Mann Dude isn't his real name, now I'm disappoint  :(

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I tried a sample and turned it off 30 seconds in. Kade needs to show this ham n' egger how the guitar works

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I just need to record Ben's little section over the weekend and we'll have a brand new podcast arriving early next week.  Four hours of rarities and classics for you , so should keep you going for a while  :metal

Sorry it has taken so long but I have tried to make it worth the wait. :angel:

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I just need to record Ben's little section over the weekend and we'll have a brand new podcast arriving early next week.  Four hours of rarities and classics for you , so should keep you going for a while  :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

Indeedy
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Giddy Up Chad!!!!!!!!!!!