Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 908291 times)

Offline Lowdz

So looks like the 'Trinity' 'Three Tremors' project is finally happening........but Tate got the replacements.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/geoff-tate-blaze-bayley-and-tim-ripper-owens-to-join-forces-for-trinity-tour/

Wow.

Wow is right.  There's a lot of innuendo there.  Shouldn't it be Todd La Torre in there?  Or does this mean that even Geoff thinks he's not the 'real guy' in Queensryche any more?  Haha.

You couldn't pay me to go that gig.

Offline Art

New Running Wild song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFmX-CqzKW4

Looks like a return to form! (even though i like the last record, but this is more metal)

:metal :metal :metal
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 07:06:35 AM by Art »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
So looks like the 'Trinity' 'Three Tremors' project is finally happening........but Tate got the replacements.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/geoff-tate-blaze-bayley-and-tim-ripper-owens-to-join-forces-for-trinity-tour/

Wow.

Wow is right.  There's a lot of innuendo there.  Shouldn't it be Todd La Torre in there?  Or does this mean that even Geoff thinks he's not the 'real guy' in Queensryche any more?  Haha.

You don't think it would be a worthy inVESTment?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Tony Macalpine is doing some support gigs for Vai's upcoming tour and says: "I have been feeling back to normal and tests indicate that all is well in medical land. Deep and sincere thanks to you all for your wonderful support through this very difficult last 12 months."  :)

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That's great news.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Tony Macalpine is doing some support gigs for Vai's upcoming tour and says: "I have been feeling back to normal and tests indicate that all is well in medical land. Deep and sincere thanks to you all for your wonderful support through this very difficult last 12 months."  :)

Yeah I read that and meant to post it but slipped my mind.  Such good news for him.  Made me very happy!  :metal

I hope he manages to schedule some new dates for us here in Oz in the future.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Good to hear!

Offline Lowdz

Wow.

:lol :lol nice one

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Wow.

:lol :lol nice one

Thanks.  That' one of my vest if I do say so myself.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 05:38:18 AM by wolfking »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'd give my left vesticle to make this stop.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
lol, anything Geoff Tate related just brings out the vest in you guys.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
You guys are all the vest.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I can't tate this anymore.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Vest one yet.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth

:lol :lol :lol

Made my day
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Don't know if this one's been posted, but another Michael Sweet song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeFNHAnuz8o

Pretty good, but sounds like Stryper.  Thought he might have sung about something else for this album, guess not.  Some tasty soloing though.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Don't know if this one's been posted, but another Michael Sweet song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeFNHAnuz8o

Pretty good, but sounds like Stryper.  Thought he might have sung about something else for this album, guess not.  Some tasty soloing though.

Great tune.  I liked the first single from this album, but I like this one even more.  This sounds like the most Stryper sounding song that Michael Sweet has released recently IMO.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Should be a good album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I was doing an image search of Mark Boals..

Are trying to tell me that THIS GUY

became THIS GUY

who turned into THIS GUY?

WTF? Is this right?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yup - in that first shot he is singing with Jeff Scott Soto's voice.....................and in the other two he is wearing someone else's hair  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent's on the money as usual.  When I first saw that video, I was confused as fuck.

The real question is Tim, why were you google searching images of Mark Boals?  :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
it was for "science"
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Yup - in that first shot he is singing with Jeff Scott Soto's voice.....................and in the other two he is wearing someone else's hair  :lol

In the third one he turned into Norman Reedus.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
And the second one is Arjen Lucassen.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :lol

Actually I was checking into a few bands yesterday and noticed that Boals had recorded an album with each. I saw the picture of the middle guy, but I only know Boals from the first guy. So I google imaged him. Honestly, I had no idea what he looks like now. The dude is a master of disguise.

I always thought Trilogy was terrible. It was such a disappointment when it come out. I actually think Boals is kind of vanilla tbh.

I think it was only a year ago or so that I realized the first guy pictured was not Jeff Scott Soto. Every time I saw a recent pic of JSS, he looked like Gonzo from Armored Saint. And Gonzo can never be confused with mid 80's Boals. :lol

I saw Yngwie twice on the Marching Out tour( :metal) and Boals was the singer. I had always assumed it was JSS. Didn't pick up the differences in voices at the time, and honestly never gave it a thought. One of the shows, we were right at the barrier.

Oh, and while I'm thinking of it, JSS' performance on Marching Out is a TAC Top 5 All Time Vocal Performance.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
:lol

Actually I was checking into a few bands yesterday and noticed that Boals had recorded an album with each.

Which ones?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Royal Hunt and Iron Mask.

I posted in the album thread yesterday. The RH album with Boals was really enjoyable. I may get it at some point.

He sang on an Iron Mask album a couple of years ago, which was decent. But they released an album this year (Shadow Of The Red Baron) with Boals NOT on vocals. Not sure who is, but I was definitely liking that one. I'm sure Brent gave it a 65%  :lol but it was easy on the ears.

I have the next two days off, so I may further dive into these two bands. Not a fan of bands generally that keep changing vocalists though.

Royal Hunt has been around a while, but I've never really checked them out, mainly because of the revolving door of vocalists? Any one into them that could make some rec's?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't know Iron Mask. 

He sang on 2 RH albums.  Paradox 2 and X.  I don't have X but do own Paradox 2 and it's pretty damn solid.  I've always loved Mark's voice, his range is insane.

I'm only a casual RH fan.  Paradox is pretty essential I think and all in all a killer album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Paradox 2 was the one I was listening to, and I really liked it. I will spin it again today.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 08:02:40 AM by TAC »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I find the same key heavy vibe across all the Royal Hunt material makes them very "samey".    Paradox was the one I had as a kid and Message To God was the one track I really thrashed.  Aside from that Fear with John West on vox is the other I have played a bit.   It contains all the Royal Hunt songs John West didn't reject :neverusethis:

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Message to God is the only song that I am really familiar with by Royal Hunt.  RH is a band I should have tried to get into, but I never really bothered.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
A quick update on a couple of things I've been working on - or trying to........

1) the next podcast is back under construction.  I had the songs done a month or two ago but unfortunately I have spent most of the last 6 weeks with borderline pneumonia and have struggled to keep up with regular life let alone anything else.  lack of time = pushing harder when I am well = getting sick again and on and on. 

I am going to put a big effort into finishing it in the next week or two.

2) I haven't been totally idle in that time though - in fact I have made a big push and finally completed my biggest DTF project yet.   While laid up I have finished off the Very Vest  ;) of 1988 which was just a mammoth job.   I have been working at it on and off for a year or more and in the end must've revisited, checked out, researched, rated around 300-400 albums.    Ever since we hit around 1985 each year has got more and more challenging to cover comprehensively and I believe i have done that pretty well.

In the end I rated around 115 albums at 80% or better and I hope to count those down across two podcasts before years end , all being well.  And then the first of 2017 will be a "Best of 2016" if I can catch up on what's been released this year.  I might ask you guys for your Top 10s for the year first just to make sure I haven't missed anything .

So that's the intention................

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Well, I'm glad you're feeling better! Seemed for a while, you were only posting in the wuss thread, so I guess that explains it! ;D

Cannot wait for the next podcast and the 1988 list! :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
1988 will rock!!!!

Offline Lowdz

I find the same key heavy vibe across all the Royal Hunt material makes them very "samey".    Paradox was the one I had as a kid and Message To God was the one track I really thrashed.  Aside from that Fear with John West on vox is the other I have played a bit.   It contains all the Royal Hunt songs John West didn't reject :neverusethis:

Fear is the best RH album by far. John West kills it. The rest are very samey as Brent says. I'm not the biggest fan of DC cooper so I don't listen to much RH other than Fear and The Mission. Fear was in my top 50, if you'd just read that you'd save yourself all this research  :biggrin: :biggrin:

I thought Trilogy was a good album. First cd I ever bought, with Magnums Vigilante, though I did already have the vinyl.