Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 908266 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I heard this yesterday and meant to post it. I actually skipped previous Charred Walls. Too many bands, too little time. But I checked this out and unfortunately I didn't love it. And I like Ripper a lot. Something just didn't sit right though. Only one listen. Will Spotify the rest when it comes out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
I was thinking...  I was 3 when Van Halen's first album came out.  I got to thinking what it must have been like at the time to be old enough to hear and appreciate such groundbreaking guitar work for the first time ever along with everyone else.  Especially if you were a guitar player.  Then with each subsequent album, eagerly anticipating its release, wondering WTF EVH would play next.  That had to be an absolutely magical experience.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I was a Junior in High School when in it came out Coz. I'm not a guitar player but I do remember just sitting there mesmerized by the tone of the guitar. The first song I heard was "Jamie's Crying" and that sustained note (you know the one I'm talking about) was just hypnotic. Not to much later, I heard "Running With The Devil" and I just ran out and bought the record. It's no exaggeration to say, my friends and I listened to nothing else for eight straight months.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I didn't hear it UPON RELEASE, but I got into the "real time" cycle with Fair Warning.   It was as you suspect, "What will Ed do next?"    But I can't emphasize enough, NO ONE sounded like Eddie back then.  Listening to Eruption (then "...And The Cradle Will Rock", and "Mean Streets") there was no one who played like him.  Come '84 or so, everyone and their brother was doing the tapping (and you had every LA player posing for dumb pictures like this:

What exactly is Mark St. John playing there?   I don't see that being in any way musical...

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
No clue and yeah, it looks ridiculous..  Now with Steve Lynch, there's possibilities, with the 8-fingered tapping thing, though his appear to all be on separate strings.  Take "(You Can Still) Rock in America" by Night Ranger.  Here's a live version of it from the M3 festival in 2012 (I was there).  Joel Hoekstra plays the 8FT part (at 2:29) and I remain as blown away by it as anything I've ever seen on the guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oeN47yxERY

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't think anyone will really be interested in this, but new song from Charred Walls of the Damed.  The band featuring Tim Owens, Jason Suecof, Steve Digiorgio and Richard Christy.  I really like their first two albums and this is some good heavy shit.  Album coming in September!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5rPKGEuTYE&feature=youtu.be

I liked the first album, but I found the second album just blurred together with each song.  Sounds good, but I likely won't get it.

Offline Lowdz

I don't think anyone will really be interested in this, but new song from Charred Walls of the Damed.  The band featuring Tim Owens, Jason Suecof, Steve Digiorgio and Richard Christy.  I really like their first two albums and this is some good heavy shit.  Album coming in September!!

I liked the first album, but I found the second album just blurred together with each song.  Sounds good, but I likely won't get it.

Not listened to this before and quite liked it. I'm just not a big fan of Ripper. I find his voice emotionless or soulless I think. Something doesn't do it for me anyway.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah, the first album was a lot better than the second one IMO too.

Not listened to this before and quite liked it. I'm just not a big fan of Ripper. I find his voice emotionless or soulless I think. Something doesn't do it for me anyway.

I can totally see why people don't really dig Ripper that much.  I think he sounds good here anyway.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
@ Lowdz... I understand your point, but one thing Owens totally nails is Gettysburgh 1863.

I didn't hear it UPON RELEASE, but I got into the "real time" cycle with Fair Warning.   

Same here. You're right. No one sounded like Eddie. It was so fresh and exciting, and so was the band for that matter. Just a FUN band to listen to. Great to throw a frisbee at the beach to.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
@ Lowdz... I understand your point, but one thing Owens totally nails is Gettysburgh 1863.

Brilliant piece of music this, the whole thing, love it.  Underrated IMO.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Brilliant piece of music this, the whole thing, love it.  Underrated IMO.

That is a brilliant song.  That whole album is actually; near the very top for me overall from Iced Earth.

Offline Lowdz

Listening now and enjoying it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Jon Shaffer does a great job capturing the atmosphere of the Gettysburg battle. It follows right along to The Killer Angels, the same book that the Gettysburg movie was based on.
My favorite part of the trilogy is the very beginning of Hold At All Costs where Armistead speaks to Hancock about "if I ever draw my sword on you, may the good Lord strike me dead".
And that's exactly what happened. Just as Armistead reached the wall at the feet of Hancock's troops, he was killed.
I get goosebumps every time I hear that part. As I said, Owens nails it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah that song is just epic all around.

Also Ripper shows off piercing screaming metal 101 in the song, "The Reckoning"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
One of my fav parts is that amazing climax in Red Baron, Ripper owns it there.

Jon Shaffer does a great job capturing the atmosphere of the Gettysburg battle. It follows right along to The Killer Angels, the same book that the Gettysburg movie was based on.
My favorite part of the trilogy is the very beginning of Hold At All Costs where Armistead speaks to Hancock about "if I ever draw my sword on you, may the good Lord strike me dead".
And that's exactly what happened. Just as Armistead reached the wall at the feet of Hancock's troops, he was killed.
I get goosebumps every time I hear that part. As I said, Owens nails it.

Brilliant stuff.  I always wanted to check the Gettysburg DVD but the price never warranted the purchse.  Jon sure knows his shit though.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
To say that Jon is obsessed with the American Civil War would be an understatement lol.

I also remember finding it humerous that when Iced Earth re-recorded the Something Wicked trilogy with Ripper, some interviewer asked Ripper about the trilogy and Owens said he didn't have a hot clue what he was singing about.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I also remember finding it humerous that when Iced Earth re-recorded the Something Wicked trilogy with Ripper, some interviewer asked Ripper about the trilogy and Owens said he didn't have a hot clue what he was singing about.

:lol  Still nailed it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I agree with everything Coz said of course (re VH) - I am of similar age and they really never made radio here - that I can recall anyway - until 1984.  I was so obsessed with Van Halen during my mid-late teens and 20's that I would've loved to have lived that age during the 80's instead of the 90's.   I would've found a way to travel to the USA to see them anywhere in the 1978-1986 era if I was able to , but unfortunately my age during those years was 4-12 yo.

VH1 was my #1 on my DTf Top 50 with I&W at #2.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
New Serious Black song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoeXsLwkQdk

Really enjoyed this one. :metal
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Lowdz

To say that Jon is obsessed with the American Civil War would be an understatement lol.

I think that's why I don't like his voice. No connection with the lyrics,

Offline Lowdz

I agree with everything Coz said of course (re VH) - I am of similar age and they really never made radio here - that I can recall anyway - until 1984.  I was so obsessed with Van Halen during my mid-late teens and 20's that I would've loved to have lived that age during the 80's instead of the 90's.   I would've found a way to travel to the USA to see them anywhere in the 1978-1986 era if I was able to , but unfortunately my age during those years was 4-12 yo.

VH1 was my #1 on my DTf Top 50 with I&W at #2.

VH weren't a big thng in the UK either. Of course I checked them out but they didn't do much for me. As a guitar fan I could appreciate that Eddie was a game changer but although I love some of their songs, the albums are short and full of filler. They have enough great songs for a best of but I don't often play a whole album, except the first and Fair Warning (though even there I skip OFOTD).

I did get to see VH live in 84 and they were good, but the show was bloated with solos and Dave being Dave.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Serious Black song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoeXsLwkQdk

Really enjoyed this one. :metal

Solid.  Could fit on the first album quite easily.  Looking forward to it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
More Tatecrap;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubTorjWg0Lg

Actually not the worst thing he's done given the style.  Don't know what the fuck the go is with the awful first half of the solo though.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
snooze fest

Offline Lowdz

More Tatecrap;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubTorjWg0Lg

Actually not the worst thing he's done given the style.  Don't know what the fuck the go is with the awful first half of the solo though.

Didn't get as far as the solo. Not awful, just boring and his voice is weird. They are pretty shit.
Queensryche on the other hand are moving on nicely.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Queensryche is coming to Australia, boys!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Metropolis touring? :D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah thanks Tim, those dates have been set for a while.  Since it's an awful time work wise for me, I'm unsure if I can get there.  I saw tickets are $90 too which is a bit steep.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I hope you it works out and you can make it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah me too.  I saw them with Tate on the Mindcrime 2 tour and it was impressive.  Would like to see what it's like with Todd.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

Yeah me too.  I saw them with Tate on the Mindcrime 2 tour and it was impressive.  Would like to see what it's like with Todd.

Do it!  Todd is totally worth it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Do it!  Todd is totally worth it.

Good to see you mate.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The Chadster!!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
https://bravewords.com/news/former-ufo-bassist-pete-way-suffers-heart-attack

:omg:

Pete Way was part of some of the most important music in my musical life.