Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 894495 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
There's no mention of a vocalist on the Aussie Malmsteen tour - please don't tell me he's going to attempt it himself?  ::)

Either way - couldn't be stuffed going to see him widdle diddle all over the top of the remnants of songs these days.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Last In Line tour stub

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Fixed!

You might want to fix up Killing the Dragon while you're at it. :P
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Fixed!

You might want to fix up Killing the Dragon while you're at it. :P
Damn it was a rough morning. Freaking iPhone!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
New AC/DC album on Novenber 28th.
Malcolm Young has OFFICIALY retired.
https://bravewords.com/news/ac-dc-to-release-rock-or-bust-on-november-28th-malcolm-young-officially-retires-from-band

Sad for Malcolm and I always thought that they would call it a day if one of the core members (meaning Angus, Malcolm or Brian) retires. And I'm not sure if I'm really excited about a new AC/DC.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'll give it a listen. Black Ice was pretty good, but at 15 tracks it was way too long with too much filler. I'd say it's 8 songs deep, which was easily twice what Stiff Upper Lip and Ballbreaker were. And The Razor's Edge for that matter.

Offline Kwyjibo

The Razor's Edge was the last album I really enjoyed, though there are some filler tracks. Stiff Upper Lip and Ballbreaker were merely decent and I must confess I haven't listened to Black Ice. I really like AC/DC but because everything sounds similar I don't need to have the whole discography. That said, I will surely give the new one a listen.

Offline Lowdz

There's no mention of a vocalist on the Aussie Malmsteen tour - please don't tell me he's going to attempt it himself?  ::)

Either way - couldn't be stuffed going to see him widdle diddle all over the top of the remnants of songs these days.

I think that's been the way of it recently. Mainly instrumental with Yngwie murdering some vocals. Truly sad. To become that great he must have had discipline but there has been no discipline in his playing or recording for decades now.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I think that's been the way of it recently. Mainly instrumental with Yngwie murdering some vocals. Truly sad. To become that great he must have had discipline but there has been no discipline in his playing or recording for decades now.

It's the keyboardist that does most of the vocals since Ripper left/fired.  I won't bother this time.

Although looking at a setlist from earlier in the year, it's a pretty decent set by Yngwie standards these days;

Rising Force
Spellbound
Razor Eater
Evil Eye
Ouverture / From a Thousand Cuts / Arpeggios from Hell
Seventh Sign
Badinere / Adagio / Far Beyond the Sun
Anthem
Acoustic Paraphrase
Dreaming (Tell Me) / Into Valhalla
Baroque & Roll
Cherokee Warrior
(chorus, verse, chorus x2, end)
Trilogy Suite Op: 5 / GTR Solo / Blues
Drum Solo / Heaven Tonight
Black Star
I'll See the Light Tonight
Accapella Verse
Smash
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I'd like to know the story behind Ripper leaving.  I wonder if he quit or was fired.  Either way, I didn't think that Yngwie and Ripper were that great of a match; something seemed a bit off.

I'm with Kwyjibo, Razors Edge was the last ACDC album that I really liked.  Not likely to get this new one.  For me, my interest in ACDC is 80% Bon Scott era.  Let there Be Rock the movie is awesome/hilarious.

I wonder if Mike Howe would be available/able to make a return to Metal Church?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

The material since Howe left has been decent at best , but that would really get my interest.  Whether the voice is still there after all this time , who knows? 
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I've never followed Metal Church that closely, but the few album I have are really good.

I'd like to know the story behind Ripper leaving.  I wonder if he quit or was fired.  Either way, I didn't think that Yngwie and Ripper were that great of a match; something seemed a bit off.

I think Malmsteen just stopped calling Tim.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I'm with Kwyjibo, Razors Edge was the last ACDC album that I really liked.  Not likely to get this new one.  For me, my interest in ACDC is 80% Bon Scott era.  Let there Be Rock the movie is awesome/hilarious.

I thought Perpetual Flame was awesome.

The last AC/DC album that I really liked was Blow Up Your Video. Criminaklly underrated. I never really liked Razor's Edge. I'd take Black Ice any day over it.

Mike Howe..did he do anything after Metal Church. Those 3 albums are great. I onlygot one Munroe era album, This present Wasteland. made a blind buy og it. Listened to it once or maybe twice.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I thought Perpetual Flame was awesome.

Same.  It's actually one I like to go back to quite regulary when it comes to Yngwie.  Relentless would have been a lot better if he got Ripper in the studio and did some more vocal songs.  Instrumental Yngwie just doesn't really do it for me these days, not that many songs anyway.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
The last AC/DC album that I really liked was Blow Up Your Video. Criminaklly underrated. I never really liked Razor's Edge. I'd take Black Ice any day over it.
Never liked Blow Up Your Video, but I agree with you about Razor's Edge. Besides just a few really good songs, the rest is pure filler.

I've always liked Ballbreaker, though. I think that one's pretty underrated.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Perpetual Flame is an awesome album.  "Red Devil" is such a catchy song.

Offline Lowdz

Perpetual Flame is an awesome album.  "Red Devil" is such a catchy song.

Apart from the odd song here and there nothing Yngwie has done since Facing The Animal has done anything for me. Haven't even bought the last 4-5.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Can't link from my phone but it's being reported that Malcom Young's "illness" is that he's suffering from dementia. At only 61 that is very sad. He's in full time health care.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Terrible news

Offline Lowdz

Can't link from my phone but it's being reported that Malcom Young's "illness" is that he's suffering from dementia. At only 61 that is very sad. He's in full time health care.

I work with people with dementia. 61 is young but certainly not unique. Youngest person with a dementia I've nursed was 36.

I'm guessing that he was a drinker and that can lead to certain types of dementia.

It certainly does suck. Awful disease.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Lowdz, I'm sure it can't be completely cured but can it be stabilized?

Offline Lowdz

Lowdz, I'm sure it can't be completely cured but can it be stabilized?

There are some medications for Alzheimer's but that's only one of the dementias. And yes they can slow the rate of deterioration in some people. No cure as yet. Hopefully there won't be one until I get to retire  :biggrin:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That's terrible news.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm very late to the party I know but I just got through my first listen to Redeemer of Souls and I'm not sure where it sits just yet.  Based on songs alone I think it's good enough to squeeze into my top few Priest albums but the rhythm guitar sound is that muddy that it strips away a lot of the edge that the songs otherwise might have had.

Until I can unpack a few other items I'll stick with a topical mag cover (May 1985 .............must've just about been my first music mag ) - check out the names on that thing  :metal  Pick the odd one out (yes he did rock a little at one point )  :D

« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 11:36:56 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Michael Bolton! :metal

That Hagar centerfold sounds pretty damn sexy too.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

That's not the one , but thought you might like it Blob  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
:zydar: Needs more noodle hair.

Offline Kwyjibo

You just gotta love those haircuts  :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
How the hell is Michael Bolton's name on Hit Parader??

Brent, I'm on pins and needles!  Who won between Judas Priest and Iron Maiden?  Who rules Heavy Metal?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Brent, I'm on pins and needles!  Who won between Judas Priest and Iron Maiden?  Who rules Heavy Metal?

Unfortunately JJ it was one of those articles that goes through the arguments but doesn't really give a definitive winner - IMHO they were more positive towards Maiden.

As far as Michael Bolton goes he did rock a bit in a band called Blackjack prior to his crappy pop stuff and he basically disowns his rock stuff , so you'd never know unless you have it /know of it already.   He also had a couple of solo albums which I'd class as melodic rock - Everybody's Crazy (also 1985)  is considered a bit of a (lite) melodic rock classic and features Bruce Kulick on guitar which is perhaps the connection that got him into Hit Parader

Save Our Love :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqLBcjWmDO0

Too pissweak for you JJ but Kulick does okay on the guitars

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

:lol

also
Ratt: Speak Out..

..about what??

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I've never heard of the band "The Firm"; they are listed with big company on the cover.  Anyone heard of them?

Offline Lowdz

I've never heard of the band "The Firm"; they are listed with big company on the cover.  Anyone heard of them?

I guess it would be the Jimmy Page and paul Rodgers band. They weren't great.