Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 908128 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Nice photo, even if there is some dude in the way of EVH. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lowdz

I pledged for the Vinnie Moore. He may just be my favourite guitarist. Always wondered why he never put a prog metal band together. His style used to fit. He's gone a bit bluesier in recent years

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I hope this new one has some more shred.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
As much as I love UFO, Vinnie is completely wasted there. The Vinnie Era is overall pretty weak. I had high hopes when I heard he joined. Their latest album isn't great, though it has the most shred from Vinnie that he's ever done in UFO.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Great pic Brent.  Glad you uncovered that treasure.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I just had a listen to WASP's Golgotha.

Damn, this is a pretty solid album. I haven't listened to anything new by them since 1989!
Some nice lead playing on this, whoever the guitarist is..

Two best songs IMO are Shotgun, which reminds me a ton of 80's WASP, and Slaves Of The New World Order.
Title track is pretty cool too.

I wasn't expecting to get this, and it may not be until Christmas, but I just might spring for it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I will have to check out the new WASP.  I just listened to Scream and thought it was just ok.  But I'm hearing lots of good things about it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I don't think Scream is very good. But it's one of the worst songs on the album. Sample the two songs I referenced.

Offline Lowdz

Damn, this is a pretty solid album. I haven't listened to anything new by them since 1989!

Two best songs IMO are Shotgun, which reminds me a ton of 80's WASP, and Slaves Of The New World Order.

I wasn't expecting to get this, and it may not be until Christmas, but I just might spring for it.

It slipped under the radar a bit witht the other albums that came out around the same time. Solid album - Blackie sounds better then ever. I dont mind Scream at all - iy does sound like a whole bunch of other WASP songs but its fine.
And yes, the solos are great.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Can't get my hands on this and going to have to order in.  Holding off listening until I get a copy.  really looking forward to it and this is great to read.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Tim probably doesn't get the "heard it before" vibe that more regular WASP listeners might-  having said that I rated it mid 80's anyway ,so it's a strong effort and much better than most of the post Crimson Idol releases.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Tim probably doesn't get the "heard it before" vibe that more regular WASP listeners might-  having said that I rated it mid 80's anyway ,so it's a strong effort and much better than most of the post Crimson Idol releases.

Works for me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Maybe. I mean how varied can WASP's albums actually be? Mid 80's would be a fairly strong rating, no? That equals out to an 8.5 for me, but I don't even thing I'd rate it that high. But I was pleasantly surprised.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It always helps when you don't have expectations for something, perhaps that has something to do with it.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
New Def Leppard gets 95% at mr.com. Does that mean it's good or is it the usual mr rating? Has anyone heard it?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
New Def Leppard gets 95% at mr.com. Does that mean it's good or is it the usual mr rating? Has anyone heard it?

I wonder why people would even still listen to Def Leppard.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Pyromania made my Top 10 of all time ...........I don't listen to my classics as often as I should but albums like that don't age for me.   The early mail is that the new album is their best in some time ,so I will certainly check it out (with low expectations) and hope for a couple of really good tracks.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
OK, let me rephrase that. Why would anyone listen to anything post Pyromania (other than the Hysteria B sides)?

Sounds like the same hype every time they release a new album, no? I have sampled a new track from time to time, but I get let down by it every time. I have an inner hope that a new album will; actually be good. I want to like them but how can I when they keep making shit music.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Fair enough - there is the odd good track on their recent albums but nothing much I tend to go for overall.  There were a few tracks that didn't make Euphoria which I have and quite like.  Adrenalize has a couple of tracks I like ,although one of them (Tear It Down) has a much better ,rawer original version.

And yeah...........the leftovers that made Retroactive were better than Hysteria in my book.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I still have my Hysteria 45's. I only bought them for the B Sides, which I loved. I remember being so disappointed with Hysteria. There was such a long wait after Pyromania.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Time to squeeze in a couple of new releases while I wait for roulette toons.   What do we have here?...........new Saxon and Circle II Circle  :hat

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

OK, let me rephrase that. Why would anyone listen to anything post Pyromania (other than the Hysteria B sides)Hysteria?

Sounds like the same hype every time they release a new album, no? I have sampled a new track from time to time, but I get let down by it every time. I have an inner hope that a new album will; actually be good. I want to like them but how can I when they keep making shit music.

FTFM, cause I really liked Hysteria, severly overproduced yeah, but in a somehow good way. Everything after that left me cold, but I wanted to like them too. This time around I had the feeling from what I read that maybe they had delivered one last unexpected gem.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Here's the lead track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UgvND5W39U

It blows!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
To be fair a lot of bands have lead singles that blow ,with a stronger album backing it up.  This single is like a bad copy of Pour Some Sugar................but supposedly the album is quite varied.  So I wouldn't read too much into this.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
................but supposedly the album is quite varied. 
Sure, some songs suck. Some blow. A few of them are shit. A couple are terrible...

Offline Kwyjibo

Never liked Pour Some Sugar On Me, so a bad copy is bound to be worse. Seems like nobody has heard the album yet? Do I have to do it on my own?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Never liked Pour Some Sugar On Me, so a bad copy is bound to be worse. Seems like nobody has heard the album yet? Do I have to do it on my own?

It's not due for release until the 30th ,so unless you have a review copy...............

Sometimes I can snag a review copy , so we'll see.   Then I can clarify for TAC whether it blows or sucks.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Do I have to do it on my own?
I wouldn't. Use the buddy system.

Sometimes I can snag a review copy , so we'll see.   Then I can clarify for TAC whether it blows or sucks.
Thanks. Can't wait! ;D

Offline Kwyjibo

It's not due for release until the 30th ,so unless you have a review copy...............

Ah, ok, didn't know that, on mr.com it read like it was out for some time.

Do I have to do it on my own?
I wouldn't. Use the buddy system.

That's why I'm asking. If it's shit it wasn't my time that got wasted.  :biggrin:

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Time to squeeze in a couple of new releases while I wait for roulette toons.   What do we have here?...........new Saxon and Circle II Circle  :hat

Interested in hearing reviews!

Offline Lowdz

It's a long time since I liked a Def Lep album- probably Euphoria, which wasn't great. I seem to like Adrenalize more than most but not much to get excited about since then. Don't think I've even listened to Sparkle Lounge.

Stryper, Saxon and Circle II Circle should be available on Amazon auto rip tomorrow.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Interested in hearing reviews!

Indeed.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Paul, wasn't Saxon pushed back two weeks?

Offline Lowdz

Oh, I think it was. Forgot about that.

Amazon is still saying 16th. Not like I haven't got plenty of new stuff to be going on with.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

That sucks.