Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896706 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Didn't see Preist in there for some reason, good to see, such a classic album.

You don't own Heaven and Hell? Whoa, that's unexpected.

Nope... in fact, Paranoid is the only Sabbath album I own.

I think you would like the Dio stuff more than the Ozzy.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
WHAT IS THIS SORCERY?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
Unmasked..... Women and Children First.... Slow year, huh? :lol Love both bands, but both albums are among their very weakest.
Agree with Ozzy and AC/DC at least. Both killer. :tup The rest of the choices are good too, I'm just not as familiar with some of them.

I don't rate Unmasked as near KISS's best but on the other hand I don't think it's as bad as a lot make out. 

As far as Women and Children First.......well you know how much I love VH.   If it didn't make No 1 there's a damn good reason  ;D   I think on that album they went a bit too far to the humour side and the music suffered.  But hey - it's still VH and still a good album.

WACF is really good stuff.. I mean Cradle, Everybody Wants Some!, Romeo Delight, Take Your Whiskey Home are all top notch IMO... I'm probably the biggest VH fanboy on the forum though cause I really don't rate much of their stuff as filler at all.

Heaven and Hell is too low for me but glad to see it listed as well.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
I'm in the process of making top 10 lists through the years for a different thread idea altogether.

My 1980 list also had Back In Black, Blizzard, Heaven and Hell.  And like others mentioned, it also had Permanent Waves (#1), Maiden s/t, Zenyatta Mondatta, Ace of Spades, and Duke.  The last two are the Blues Brothers soundtrack and Billy Joel's Glass Houses, neither of which even remotely fit the genre.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm in the process of making top 10 lists through the years for a different thread idea altogether.

My 1980 list also had Back In Black, Blizzard, Heaven and Hell.  And like others mentioned, it also had Permanent Waves (#1), Maiden s/t, Zenyatta Mondatta, Ace of Spades, and Duke.  The last two are the Blues Brothers soundtrack and Billy Joel's Glass Houses, neither of which even remotely fit the genre.
Neither does Zenyatta Mondatta or Duke.

This is the Heavy Metal / Classic Hard Rock thread people!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

Chad, you need to check Heaven and Hell pronto.  It's essential in anyone's collection.

That's a good list Brent, although MSG was one band I always meant to check out.

My list would include Maiden, Priest, Thin Lizzy.

Half the album is awesome - the other half not so. Join the awesome on this with the awesome on Mob Rules and you'd have one of the greatest albums ever - although some songs are very similar in style to ones on the other album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Chad, you need to check Heaven and Hell pronto.  It's essential in anyone's collection.

That's a good list Brent, although MSG was one band I always meant to check out.

Half the album is awesome - the other half not so. Join the awesome on this with the awesome on Mob Rules and you'd have one of the greatest albums ever - although some songs are very similar in style to ones on the other album.
I completely agree, though I hold Heaven And Hell in higher regard than you. The only filler on it is Walk Away, and maybe Lady Evil. The rest of it is classic, though admittedly that's 25% of the album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I completely agree, though I hold Heaven And Hell in higher regard than you. The only filler on it is Walk Away, and maybe Lady Evil. The rest of it is classic, though admittedly that's 25% of the album.

Walk Away would be the only filler.  Lady Evil is awesome.  There is more filler on Mob Rules IMO.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I agree about Mob Rules. If I'm ranking the songs on H&H, I put Lady Evil at #7. It's ok. Filler would be a little strong I guess.
In fact..Rankings!!
1. Heaven And Hell
2. Die Young
3. Lonely Is The Word
4. Children Of The Sea
5. Neon Knights
6. Wishing Well
7. Lady Evil
8. Walk Away

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I agree about Mob Rules. If I'm ranking the songs on H&H, I put Lady Evil at #7. It's ok. Filler would be a little strong I guess.
In fact..Rankings!!
1. Heaven And Hell
2. Die Young
3. Lonely Is The Word
4. Children Of The Sea
5. Neon Knights
6. Wishing Well
7. Lady Evil
8. Walk Away

I'd probably go with this too actually.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That's a good ranking, I would place Neon Knights behind Die Young.

As far as I'm concerned, there isn't any filler on H&H and Mob Rules. Two absolute classics!

Offline gazinwales

Pretty good version of Neon Knights sung in Finnish by someone we all know  :metal
https://youtu.be/8cKR3ibkwes

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Sorta fits in with what I was saying above.........

I have the same issue with most Dio albums I own.   I love the guy's voice but I generally find there's maybe 3 songs I'd rate 11 out of 10 and another 3 or 4 that I rate as filler. Makes them hard albums to rate right at the top of a high quality list , even though the highs are godly.

As far as Heaven and Hell goes with rankings I'm pretty close to TAC and wolfking , except I have Neon higher.  For me , that one and the title track are the classics , Die Young and Lonely Is The Word are excellent and the rest is decent but relatively meh!

Almost through my 1981 listening - only 3 albums were set in stone at the top even before I started and the 4-10 spots were up for grabs.  It's a lot clearer after a good listen.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 05:29:07 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Almost through my 1981 listening - only 3 albums were set in stone at the top even before I started and the 4-10 spots were up for grabs.  It's a lot clearer after a good listen.

Knowing you, you'll probably have Fair Warning up there, and Diary Of A Madman. You didn't include Permanent Waves, so I'm not sure how you view Moving Pictures, but I'd definitely put that in the 1981 Top 3.

Oh, and Thin Lizzy released Renegade on this day in 1981! :metal Damn..33 years!

Offline Lowdz

In fact..Rankings!!
1. Heaven And Hell
2. Die Young
3. Lonely Is The Word
4. Children Of The Sea
5. Neon Knights
6. Wishing Well
7. Lady Evil
8. Walk Away
The awesome

1.Die Young
1. Children Of The Sea
1. Heaven And Hell
1. Neon Knights

The pretty good

5.Lonely Is the World

The average

6. Walk Away

Wishing Well

The poor with shit lyrics
Lady Evil

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
We're pretty close, bro.

Offline Lowdz

I think the top 5 songs are so good that it makes the average ones seem worse than they are. I listened to them seperately last night and missed out the classics and they were ok. Lady Evil is crap though even with the nod to Cliff Richard...

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Knowing you, you'll probably have Fair Warning up there, and Diary Of A Madman. You didn't include Permanent Waves, so I'm not sure how you view Moving Pictures, but I'd definitely put that in the 1981 Top 3.

Oh, and Thin Lizzy released Renegade on this day in 1981! :metal Damn..33 years!

Good guess on VH and Ozzy - I'm not half predictable huh? -  couldn't separate them for No 1.  As far as Rush goes I find it hard to explain why I react to them so differently to all you guys when otherwise our tastes are often so close.  I made myself listen to Moving Pictures for the sake of this exercise and I had the same response I always have with Rush.   I found it listenable for the most part (although Geddy's voice does zero for me) but there was nothing I felt like playing again.  I enjoy the chord progressions in Tom Sawyer and Red Barchetta  etc....but the passages I enjoy - and there certainly are some - are too few and far between.  Aside from very limited moments like say the start of The Camera Eye  I also don't tend to get the feeling I'm "rocking" at all when I listen to Rush.   But I'm the same with bands like Yes and the whole 70's prog rock scene too so maybe that's no surprise.  I dunno.

My favourite track on Moving Pictures was YYZ 'cos Geddy kept quiet  ;D  Some very cool bass playing in there.

Anyway........I've tried hard to get on board with Rush and there's just no connection there at all for the most part.  And yet Images and Words (which is supposedly one of DT's most heavily Rush influenced albums) is close enough to my favourite album of all time.

Not sure if I'll keep doing it but for 1981 I have done a short intro and listed those that were actively considered but didn't quite make it........

Well off we venture into what (for me) is the beginning of the golden decade of rock and metal and 1981 had more than its fair share of classics in all types of rock.   Even though not up for selection here I'd like to mention Journey's Escape and Foreigner's 4 - two all time classics from two all time classic bands/vocalists.  WTF moment goes to Queen with Flash Gordon and perhaps KISS with The Elder .   Back to the harder stuff .........

1981 saw a few bands produce good albums that still managed to drop off the pace they set in 1980 (AC/DC ,Judas Priest , Saxon , Black Sabbath, Whitesnake among others) , the arrival of a new force to be reckoned with (Motley Crue) and a couple of bands setting the foundations for upcoming legend status (Def Leppard and Iron Maiden).

Looking at the list of albums I considered was very imposing but giving them a good listen made things a lot clearer in terms of what appeals to me.  Motley's Too Fast For Love is often touted as THE classic of 1981.........not for me though.

TOP 10 ALBUMS OF 1981

1. Ozzy Osbourne: Diary Of A Madman (TIE)
1. Van Halen: Fair Warning (TIE)
3. Def Leppard: High'n'Dry
4. Triumph: Allied Forces
5. Demon : Night Of The Demon
6. Tygers Of Pan Tang : Spellbound
7. Rainbow: Difficult To Cure
8. Frank Marino: The Power of Rock and Roll
9. Michael Schenker Group: MSG
10. Sammy Hagar : Standing Hampton(TIE)
10. Viva: What The Hell Is Going On(TIE)

MADE THE SQUAD BUT MISSED THE TEAM (no particular order)

Thin Lizzy: Renegade - was headed for Top 6 based on the first half but the last few songs are a snooze.
Riot: Fire Down Under - juuuuust missed out.
Saxon : Denim and Leather
Whitesnake : Come And Get It
Iron Maiden : Killers
Black Sabbath: Mob Rules
Accept : Breaker
Blue Oyster Cult:  Fire Of Unknown Origin
Judas Priest: Point Of Entry
Praying Mantis : Time Tells No Lies
AC/DC: For Those About To Rock..
Rush : Moving Pictures  (only through peer pressure  ;D )
Motley Crue: Too Fast For love - aside from Livewire....meh!

For those wondering "Who the fuck is Viva?" they were a fairly obscure German metal band - main songwriter and keyboardist is Barbara Schenker , Michael's little sis'.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Perfect top 2 picks. :tup
My next pick would have been Escape, but you've already said you're not counting that one.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Far be it from me to say anyone is wrong for anything in a top 10 list.  However, the glaring lack of Y&T's Earthshaker album is so criminally wrong that I can simply pray that God have mercy on your soul.

And I would have counted Escape as well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
All of my top picks are included in either your top 10 or your HM's. Except for of course, Y&T. Earthshaker is an asskicker.

Rush, Sabbath, VH would be my top three. Brent, that will always be a strange one with yourself and Rush. Who knows, maybe one day lol.

I like Motley Crües debut, but I enjoy SATD twenty times more. Debut was a little too punky.

Diary is my favorite release overall from Ozzy.

Nice to see Triumph, MSG and Riot mentioned. All under appreciated gems.

I can tolerate Kiss' Elder release, but Creatures is 1000X better.

Priest will also turn it up a notch with their next release, but "desert plains" and "hot rockin" are two of my favorites.

Offline gazinwales

Not sure if anyone else is interested or lives in Sydney, but I'm up for this and looking forward to meeting a genuine music legend.

BOB DAISLEY EXCLUSIVE IN-STORE BOOK SIGNING, SATURDAY NOVEMBER 29TH, 2PM!!!

Meet the man who put the OZZ in BLIZZARD OF OZZ!

FACT: One of the greatest Heavy Metal bands of all time BLIZZARD OF OZZ featuring both OZZY OSBOURNE and the legend of all legends, the immortal RANDY RHOADS, was 1/4 Australian.

FACT: The only bassist in history to have played with multi-platinum Rock and Metal legends Ozzy Osbourne, Randy Rhoads, Lee Kerslake, Ritchie Blackmore, Tony Iommi, Gary Moore, Ronnie James Dio, Jon Lord, Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Zakk Wylde, Jake E Lee, Tony Williams, Steve Morse, Don Airey, Jimmy Barnes. Carmine Appice, Joe Lynn Turner, Eric Singer and many more. A member of legendary bands like Black Sabbath, Rainbow, Uriah Heep, Living Loud, Khavas Jute etc.

Sydney's very own world renowned legendary bassist BOB DAISLEY will be shaking hands, kissing babies and most importantly signing copies of his incredible book FOR FACTS SAKE. Trust us, this is a book you will not put down until you are done, it's awesome!

Being part of this historic event is as easy as pre ordering a copy of the book which you pick up instore before the show. The book is on sale from 10am tomorrow morning. The special price of this 400+ pages, 380 photos, lavish hardcover book for the signing is $50. Sales will be in store and creadit card phone sales only.

PLEASE NOTE: 1

This item is only available to customers who are attending the signing and with limited copies available we are predicting it will sell out quickly. This will not be a rushed, grab a signature and get out type of event, Bob wants a chance to meet each person who purchases the book properly with a guaranteed photo opportunity.

PLEASE NOTE: 2

Bob will gladly sign one extra item from your collection and also anything Bob related that you purchase from UTOPIA on the day.
Photo

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, I'd probably make my entire top 10 from you HM's.  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Far be it from me to say anyone is wrong for anything in a top 10 list.  However, the glaring lack of Y&T's Earthshaker album is so criminally wrong that I can simply pray that God have mercy on your soul.

And I would have counted Escape as well.

When selecting the eligible bands I have tried to consider whether they best belong in this thread or the AOR thread .  When in doubt I have allowed them but to me bands like Journey and Foreigner are more associated with AOR than hard rock.

I had a feeling Y&T might come up - despite appearances I didn't forget them .  I love Y&T and Dave Meniketti but I have the same issue with them when it comes to ALBUM lists as I often do with Dio but even more so.

If I was to list my Top 100 bands Y&T would be higher than many in this list .   If I were to list my Top 500 rock songs Y&T would feature more than many in this list.  The trouble is that this list is about whole albums and I can't think of a band I like as much that has the amount of filler on their classic albums as Y&T do. 

As far as Earthshaker goes I rate Rescue Me , I Believe In You and Let Me Go as excellent and most of the rest as filler.  I'll begin praying :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 03:21:21 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Priest will also turn it up a notch with their next release, but "desert plains" and "hot rockin" are two of my favorites.

Desert Plains and Hot Rockin' were 2 of the 3 songs I rated highly on POE - Desert Plains especially.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, I'd probably make my entire top 10 from you HM's.  :lol

;D  That's why I included them ,so at least you'd know that they were close and had been rated high enough to come under consideration.    Motley Crue didn't meet my rating cutoff (75%) but it's so often mentioned as THE album of 1981 that I thought that I had better mention it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 05:36:24 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, it's quality all round, can't go wrong with many of those.

Saying that, Ozzy would definitely be included in my list, top 5 probably.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Aahh 1981. For me, this is the greatest year of released music in my life.

The spring of 1981 was the end of my 7th grade and the in the fall I was starting 8th. For the record I would turn 13 in September of 1981. I spent most of 1981 with my Big 3 (AC/DC, Van Halen, & Rush). I had other favorites like Aerosmith, even Ozzy, Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin, basically culling what can be heard from the radio.

So while I would go back and discover a lot of these great '81 albums in the next couple years, two really stood out for me at the time when I heard them. Def Leppard's High n Dry and Michael Schenker's MSG. They both so greatly influenced me. Def Leppard cemented me being a heavy metal fan, and Schenker would eventually lead me to one of my greatests loves, UFO.

I also wanted to mention two albums not mentioned that I also had in 1981. Joe Perry's I've Got The Rock n Rolls Again, and Ted Nugent's Intensities In 10 Cities.

I could go on all day! :lol

Anyway a few more thoughts..

..Point Of Entry is terrible! Although Heading Out To The Highway and Dessert Plains are so damn epic!
..Brent, nice to see you mention the Tyger's Spellbound (with John Sykes). Didn't they release Crazy Nights in 1981 too? I would take 1980's Wild Cat over both. Surprised you didn't list that.
..I distinctly remember getting Too Fast For Love in the 9th grade which was the fall of 1982. Quick Wiki research tells me that it was in fact released independently in late 81, but not by Elecktra until August of 82. That's when I first heard of it.
..Great quality releases from AC/DC and Van Halen
..The Elder is a definite WTF moment, by my personal WTF moment goes to Alice Cooper for Special Forces.
..I think it would be OK to include Moving Pictures on this list as Hard Rock, but this would certainly be the last time they could be considered.

Anyway, my Top 10 is:
1. Michael Schenker-MSG
2. UFO- The Wild The Willing And The Innocent
3. Def Leppard- High n Dry
4. Ozzy Osbourne- Diary Of A Mad Man
5. Thin Lizzy- Renegade
6. Rush- Moving Pictures
7. Riot- Fire Down Under
8. Van Halen- Fair Warning
9. Iron Maiden- Killers
10. Black Sabbath- Mob Rules

But there are so many great albums to mention.
Y & T- Earthshaker (though Black Tiger and Mean Streak are both much better!)
Saxon- Denim & Leather
Rainbow- Difficult To Cure
Blackfoot- Marauder
Triumph- Allied Forces

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Cool thoughts TAC - looks like I got most things covered.  I was 6yo at the time so this is all working backwards for me  ;D

As far as Tygers go , yes I believe they were rushed back into the studio by the label in '81 to do Crazy Nights.  Not as good from memory.   I have little memory of Wild Cat but I believe it was a bit "punkish" and had a much rougher vocalist than Deverill.  Perhaps a bit more in the Motorhead vein and I don't like Motorhead much (although you still gotta love Lemmy  ;D  ) Also no Sykes so I never expected to like it.  Will check it out if you think it's their best.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 08:35:52 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh.........and the original 1981 Too Fast For Love is generally known as the Leathur Records release and has one extra track that didn't make the Elektra release (Stick To Your Guns)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I bought Wild Cat and Spellbound (on vinyl) together. You are right. Jess Cox was a lot less polished than Jon Deveril. Still there's an energy on Wild Cat that is missing from both Spellbound and Crazy Nights. Spellbound has a much cleaner sound, but the aggressiveness is not there. The playing is good enough, but the life is sucked out of it. None of those albums have really aged that well  :lol so I doubt you are going to suddenly fall in love with Wild Cat..

I'd put Jess Cox closer to Paul Dianno than Lemmy though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oh, and I'm not sure how, but I forgot one of my all time 1981 favorite albums. Lucifer's Friend's Mean Machine!!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I was 9/10 years old in '81, and still hadn't really 'discovered' rock music.  From this list (and the HMs), many still slipped under my radar even when, in my teens, I started going back and discovering all the stuff I missed.  Allied Forces is the only one that I actually own, but used to own Fair Warning and High 'N Dry.  The rest... probably know a few songs here and there, but not much.  From your HMs Brent, obviously I know Moving Pictures (#8 of all time for me), but also have For Those About to Rock, Too Fast For Love, Denim and Leather... and did have a listen to Fire of Unknown Origin during the BOC discog discussion.

I know ...  :o
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I was 9/10 years old in '81, and still hadn't really 'discovered' rock music. 
1981 was really my "coming of age" year for music. What's great about it was that I was musically conscious as it was happening, and within a couple years later, I discovered all these great albums that were also released in 1981.