Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 907525 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I was 3rd row center on the VH, F.U.C.K tour. Dead middle between the V and the H.  Eddie threw his pick and 6 guys all went for it.  We all coconuted each other.  When we came to, no one could find the pic.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Awesome picks!

I have a bunch. I should be able post a pic tomorrow!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

1&2 :  Rick Nielsen picks from a Cheap Trick club gig - first one I caught , second one landed in my bourbon  :lol  I was front row with my drink on the front of the stage.  Those were the days.

Brent, what year was that?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

1&2 :  Rick Nielsen picks from a Cheap Trick club gig - first one I caught , second one landed in my bourbon  :lol  I was front row with my drink on the front of the stage.  Those were the days.

I believe it was 1988 - Lap of Luxury tour.   They had a #1 hit here with The Flame and they didn't play it  :lol

EDIT........that would make me 14 which seems a bit young for that venue (and the bourbon :neverusethis:) but I have the shirt :lol   Not sure what I was up to there.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 04:41:07 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I believe it was 1988 - Lap of Luxury tour.   They had a #1 hit here with The Flame and they didn't play it  :lol
I saw them on that tour in a theater in Providence. House Of Lords opened.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Saw Cheap Trick 8 times. First time in 1983.  Next Position Please tour. I was 15.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Saw Cheap Trick 8 times. First time in 1983.  Next Position Please tour. I was 15.
Wow Joe, that's awesome! I was never really into them.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
OK I have some guitar picks too. Here are a half dozen.

Top Left: Jeff Hanneman (The Channel, Boston 9/12/90)
Top Center: John Regan (Centrum, Worcester 7/17/88)
Top Right: Yngwie Malmsteen (Campus Club, Providence 4/30/92)
Bottom Left: Paul Stanley (West Hartford Ballroom, Hartford 2/23/89)
Bottom Center: Jason Newsted (Centrum, Worcester 3/16/89)
Bottom Right: John Petrucci (Axis, Boston 10/7/92)

The second pic just has Jeff Hanneman's and John Regan's picks reversed.

John Regan's pick is not the only pick I brought home from the Iron Maiden/Frehley's Comet show. I also had Adrian Smith's pick, but I cannot for the life of me find it. On the front was Adrian's sig and on the back it said 7th Pick Of The 7th Tour.

JP's is generic (not sigged). I have a number of generic picks, including Gary Moore, Ace Frehley. I also have a couple of Warrant pics from the Paul Stanley show. They're both logo'd. Now that I think of it, I should've included one of them for you guys.

I also have these:

Alice Cooper Boston Garden 11/17/87
Metallica Worcester Centrum 3/16/89

I've posted the backstage shots from the Alice show before of pics with Kane Roberts, Paul Taylor, and Ken Mary. Unfortunately Alice was nowhere to be found.
On the Metallica on, you'll notice the slash through it the big E. Apparently, it was a Before Show Only pass. :facepalm: My program director never mentioned that to me!  :censored

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
cool stuff!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Nice stuff Tim.

Another VH item to share.

This shirt is one that was issued to the sound/lighting techs (Showco) on the 1980 Invasion tour.  Mint condition.  I have seen these go on Ebay for up to $1000.

I believe Showco were also famous for the big Zep shows - Chad may be able to elaborate.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I got a set of those Yngwie Malsmteen picks too.  :metal

I got some WASP ones too.  :yarr
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I got a set of those Yngwie Malsmteen picks too.  :metal

I got some WASP ones too.  :yarr

Did you catch those at gigs Kade or are they merch?    Even though the VH pick is probably the most valuable of mine I think the Talisman/Marcel jacob one is my fave - and possibly the rarest actually.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Yeah Yngwie picks aren't very rare. He spends more time throwing them than using them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Nah, they were both merch, unfortunately.  Still cool.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Fer sure.   Neither of the faves I am talking about above (VH/Talisman) were from gigs that I attended.  I can only wish that Talisman or VH (1984) toured here  >:(      I may not have made the VH anyway I suppose , seeing as I was 10 yo :lol

I did catch the JSS solo tour though (saw him twice and caught up for quite a while).  I was saying to my sister at the KISS gig the other night , I can't believe that we shot the shit with JSS and didn't get a photo . :facepalm:

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Fer sure.   Neither of the faves I am talking about above (VH/Talisman) were from gigs that I attended.  I can only wish that Talisman or VH (1984) toured here  >:(      I may not have made the VH anyway I suppose , seeing as I was 10 yo :lol

I did catch the JSS solo tour though (saw him twice and caught up for quite a while).  I was saying to my sister at the KISS gig the other night , I can't believe that we shot the shit with JSS and didn't get a photo . :facepalm:

Yeah I had a good chat with him at the Queen convention a few years ago, and he stole my beer during a Halloween gig in Wigan , in a pub. The whole band wore KISS makeup until they sweated it off. Although being 5 foot nothing Gary Schmitt did a great Gene.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Nice :)   Who is Gary Schmitt?   Gary Schutt after a few beers ?  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Nice :)   Who is Gary Schmitt?   Gary Schutt after a few beers ?  :lol

Stupid predictive keyboard.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I see Graham Bonnet is doing a pub/club tour of Australia and NZ .  That surprises me as tbh I think he would struggle to fill a pub gig out here.  Maybe I am underestimating the (large) metal community in Melbourne and the other states but I can't see the market for him.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I see Graham Bonnet is doing a pub/club tour of Australia and NZ .  That surprises me as tbh I think he would struggle to fill a pub gig out here.  Maybe I am underestimating the (large) metal community in Melbourne and the other states but I can't see the market for him.

For pubs/clubs he might be ok, although I don't know how tours of smaller venues here are even worth it for overseas acts. Are you going to go?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

For pubs/clubs he might be ok, although I don't know how tours of smaller venues here are even worth it for overseas acts. Are you going to go?

Probably not - I like him in certain songs but I have often struggled with his voice.  He's getting on too so I would probably see if I could find some recent footage if I was thinking about it.

The only stuff of his that I have ever played semi-regularly is Alcatrazz. 

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've heard his Rainbow stuff, and I think that's about it. No idea how his voice has held up.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Uncovered another old item today. These Van Halen 3 tins were signed by the band at a meet and greet/signing in Melbourne during the tour.  Unfortunately they would only allow VH 3 stuff   >:(  but I suppose I have enough signed stuff from other eras.  I might upload the photo of me and EVH shaking hands across the signing table if I can find it .......no cameras were allowed but the venue guy took it and I hassled him for weeks until he handed it over :lol

Now Michael Anthony - he knows his stuff.  He wanted to just note (top left) that Brent rocks   :hat   

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
VH3 tins? Were those to store away copies of the album to never be seen or heard again? :lol

Find that photo, man! :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
VH3 tins? Were those to store away copies of the album to never be seen or heard again? :lol

Yeah - drill a couple of holes and padlock them to make sure the CD never surfaces  :lol  The tin had some photo cards and a pick or two , so that's why I likely got them (as well as better for signing ).  I assume the picks are still inside the tins.

I also made up a big frame (in storage) with a shirt , signed (regular CD) booklet along with the concert ticket and meet'n'greet entry pass.   It pissed me off that it was all VH 3 related but it was still special to me as my first VH gig at the time after waiting 15+ years and so I made myself a souvenir.  Despite the album it was a great gig too and the first time they had played DLR material in almost 15 years.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gazinwales

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
New album from Kauan, sounds pretty good too.
https://www.stereogum.com/1837135/stream-kauan-sorni-nai-stereogum-premiere/mp3s/

never heard of 'em..............are you in the right thread Gaz?  :)

I had a quick listen............not bad for that style which I assume is doom?

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Another pic from the VH 3 tour I found - unfortunately this is before digital cameras (or before I had one) and wouldn't you know it ................I get the chance for a good shot and the film runs out.

Anyway - you can see the band on the left but Cherone has climbed up the stairs , swung over onto the balcony and is hanging off the side of Level 1 in the stands singing to us.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Michael Schenker's Assault Attack is a great album.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah - strong album.  For some reason I never really played that one as a full album - kept coming back to Samurai and (esp) Desert Song though.  Desert Song would be one of my favourite Schenker toons.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Great call. He's not a great favourite of mine but Rainbow's Down To Earth is a good album (but not a patch on what came before), the first Alcatrazz is legendary and Assault Aatack another great album. Always loved his Night Games single too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Still gotta check that MSG album.

New Vinnie Moore, October 23;

Last one was decent.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Lousy artwork though. :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Here you go Blob..........a photo of the great man - and Eddie's at the back there too :neverusethis:

Unfortunately my big scone caught all of the flash and I look like Dracula but nevertheless it's a treasured photo and something I thought I had lost until recently.

I will certainly check out the Vinnie Moore .  I haven't really taken a great deal of notice since Out of Nowhere.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Nice photo Brent.