Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 907798 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
So...............KISS last night.  Like I said earlier - great turnout and I enjoy the atmosphere and the camaraderie as much as the gig itself.  There wasn't as much effort put into the outfits etc...as I have seen in the past. Pity I didn't have my camera handy for the two smoking hot chicks in makeup that spent most of the lead up doing photos for people.  I took a snap of a couple of ugly dudes in front of us for you instead  :lol

Nice crowd in at Rod Laver Arena (centre court for the Australian Open tennis) and the same sold out for a 2nd gig tonight.  Given that bands like Deep Purple and Def Leppard need to bring out big support acts to have a chance to sell out one night (Deep Purple brought Journey , Def Leppard brought Cheap Trick last time, Live for the upcoming gig)  it's a big deal for them to sell out two nights at this stage of their career.

There was even some cookie monster music - my sister after the show with Cookie Monster playing I Was Made For Loving You on the bagpipes

Set list here

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kiss/2015/rod-laver-arena-melbourne-australia-1bf41120.html

If anyone wants to see a snippet of video for any of the bigger name songs then I likely have some (just ask) but here's the opener.  Unfortunately the video quality has dropped dramatically during conversion to flv - mine is crystal clear on my PC but not on Youtube  :-\

Opening + Detroit Rock City https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKLEf2cWJ_I&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 04:15:13 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Solid set list!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Great photos Brent.  Love the Cookie Monster.

I will hopefully have a chance to listen to the bonus Queensryche track Espiritu Muerto from the Jap edition tonight - will report back.  Unfortunately the other two bonus tracks only come with the deluxe vinyl edition :(

EDIT : Actually just caught a listen now and yes...........worth having.  Interesting track that will need a few listens to sink in but i like it on first listen. 

If anyone has ponied up for the regular version and doesn't want to buy the jap version too (or the extra track online) , then PM me  ;)

Isn't that the bonus track on the regular deluxe edition?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Voodoo Circle on November 27

The last one was really good, but I hope they turn down the Whitesnake rip offs a bit this time.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I have read different reports but to the best of my knowledge that track is only on Jap (and maybe a UK/Euro digipak) - the full 3 bonus tracks only on LP/Boxset.

Century Media doesn't even have a deluxe CD listed on their US website

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I have read different reports but to the best of my knowledge that track is only on Jap (and maybe a UK/Euro digipak) - the full 3 bonus tracks only on LP/Boxset.

Century Media doesn't even have a deluxe CD listed on their US website

I'm just going by JB's website as they have the deluxe with that track.  Hopefully I find out tomorrow when I go looking.

Doesn't look like I'll be finding the WASP instore either.  Looks like back to online purchasing, might go amazon.uk, they are okay.  Not many around for us.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

The last one was really good, but I hope they turn down the Whitesnake rip offs a bit this time.

I think I recall checking out their first album, and really liking the music, then the vocals completely killing it.

I'm always up for Whitesnake rip-offs, it's just a shame so few can do it well!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I think I recall checking out their first album, and really liking the music, then the vocals completely killing it.

I'm always up for Whitesnake rip-offs, it's just a shame so few can do it well!

Wow, David Readman is awesome IMO.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I'm just going by JB's website as they have the deluxe with that track. 

Fair enough - maybe we are getting that Euro version as a deluxe

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I'm just going by JB's website as they have the deluxe with that track. 

Fair enough - maybe we are getting that Euro version as a deluxe

Either way.  I just wanna get a copy tomorrow.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

I distinctly remember the vocals were an instant disappointment to me, and the sole reason I gave up on it, but I'm checking it out on Spotify again, and they're better than I remember. Maybe I didn't give this one enough of a chance. :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I distinctly remember the vocals were an instant disappointment to me, and the sole reason I gave up on it, but I'm checking it out on Spotify again, and they're better than I remember. Maybe I didn't give this one enough of a chance. :tup

The last one, More Than One Way Home I think it's called was really quite good.  I think you might like that one more.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

The last one, More Than One Way Home I think it's called was really quite good.  I think you might like that one more.

Checking it out now. Digging the 1987 Whitesnake-y sound of this first track. The one I listened to a while back was actually Broken Heart Syndrome.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That was a pretty good one too. 

There's a lot more of those Whitesnake 1987 things throughout the album.  Some are so bloody blatant it's not funny.  There's one song on there that is basically Is This Love.  The whole damn thing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
That was a pretty good one too. 

There's a lot more of those Whitesnake 1987 things throughout the album.  Some are so bloody blatant it's not funny.  There's one song on there that is basically Is This Love.  The whole damn thing.

:lol I'm more than ok with this. From a two second skip, it's gotta be More Than One Way Home. No hiding it.

Offline Lowdz

Time to trade your ears in blob - david Readman is awesome.
I found the last album enjoyable until they directly ripoff riffs, then I lose interest. As long as they stick to "in the style of white snake" it's ok. I remember a couple of times they overstepped the line.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

It's ok, the problem appears to have correct itself.
The singing on Heart of Bablyon is so Coverdale. :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
You wanted the best..........................

but you're getting the new Chris Holmes video :neverusethis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah6T3CTrvuY

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

It's ok, the problem appears to have correct itself.
The singing on Heart of Bablyon is so Coverdale. :lol

Good to hear  :biggrin:
I think he was probably under orders. He doesn't sing like a Coverdale clone usually.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So...............KISS last night. 

Show is on Dime, Brent!
https://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=542331

If anyone wants to see a snippet of video for any of the bigger name songs then I likely have some (just ask) but here's the opener.  Unfortunately the video quality has dropped dramatically during conversion to flv - mine is crystal clear on my PC but not on Youtube  :-\

Opening + Detroit Rock City https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKLEf2cWJ_I&feature=youtu.be

Awesome video!

I must say that it's painful to watch Paul and (especially) Gene. And I love Paul!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 02:21:10 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I made it to the one minute mark on the Chris Holmes video

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's better than Scream from WASP!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It's better than Scream from WASP!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I knew as soon as Kade woke up that that was coming! :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I knew as soon as Kade woke up that that was coming! :lol

Well you asked for it bub haha.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That was a weird conversation. But I liked it

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That was a weird conversation. But I liked it

Well done, you actually had me check both thread.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I must say that it's painful to watch Paul and (especially) Gene. And I love Paul!

Paul sounds pretty bad there but his voice was on and off all night - and the opener was his worst song.

I thought Gene was fantastic actually - singing the best I have ever heard and for guys around 60 wearing all that stuff + platforms etc....I was pretty happy with how they moved.  Pretty amazing actually.

The stage show - well they probably used more effects and pyro than any other artist will use combined for the next 2 years :lol   Value for money is amazing in that regard.  It would be much more expensive to go see the fairly stripped back AC/DC show........     I think everyone knew that Paul ain't what he used to be but on the whole I was very happy.

One thing I didn't mention was the sound.  Fucking amazing - you heard how clear it sounded recorded on a tiny mic in a Canon digital camera.  Everything was perfect (volume/clarity) and the songs sounded heavier than I've heard many of them before. If I had recorded video at the last DT gig (they had meathead security all over anyone who tried even a photo) you would've heard just random noise , which is about all I heard for the night.

Possibly the only thing that bugs me a bit about KISS these days (allowing for Paul's vocals) is Tommy's guitar playing.  He's like Ace on a really bad day............and that's pretty average :lol
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 06:57:18 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I guess I'm not into Gene's schtick.  I'm glad he sounded good.

It is amazing that they are still putting on great shows.

My first Kiss show was in '85 and Tommy Thayer was playing in the opening band!

I actually read Paul's book a few months ago and thought it was great.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 04:46:24 PM by TAC »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

My first Kiss show was in '85 and Tommy Thayer was playing in the opening band!

Black N Blue??

I'm in the process of unearthing all sorts of stuff that I had forgotten about as we pack up house.  Here's one little lot -speaking of old gigs.  I have been terrible at keeping old tickets etc.... but there's a few in amongst this lot.

We have:

- KISS convention pass from the "Kiss My Ass" tour
- KISS badge from the early 80's
-ZZ top 2000 (fucking boring gig)
- KISS 2001 Farewell Tour (Heaven supporting)..............still going
- KISS 1997 Alive Worldwide Tour
- Sammy Hagar 1998 w/ Kings of the Sun
- Van Halen neck chain
- Talisman Sweden Rock backstage pass (from JSS himself)
- extremely rare mint Van Halen 1978 backstage pass Longbeach Arena
- and Rolling Stones/Van Halen backstage pass from the gig that had the famous Diver Down album photo

« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 03:55:41 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Cool shit Brent, you are the memorabilia king.

New killer CIIC song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU-RPLRZOJQ

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
You're easy to please. :lol I don't know what melody he was trying to sing in that prechorus-y bit, but it sounded awful.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
You're easy to please. :lol

Not really, not as much as I use to.  CIIC have always just been a solid, reliable band.  Followed them since the first album and just like what they do. 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
CIIC is awesome. Great song and love the bands sound. One of the most reliable bands in rock and metal.

Lots of cool stuff Brent!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Some more cool stuff to come in the next few days..........I have of course posted heaps of other stuff over the past few years but some of this is the rarest of the rare.  I won't be mucking around with the posters (around 100 vintage Van Halen and KISS posters all in tubes and/or block mounted) but there's some other cool stuff anyway.  This is all stuff I had stored away that I am photographing before it goes back away for another 10 years :lol

Here's some picks

The images of the same picks , but with 3 & 5 flipped.

From left to right:

1&2 :  Rick Nielsen picks from a Cheap Trick club gig - first one I caught , second one landed in my bourbon  :lol  I was front row with my drink on the front of the stage.  Those were the days.

3 : EVH pick from the 1984 tour - mint

4: I took a screamer on some poor guy's head to catch that one between my fingers at the Flying In A Blue Dream gig.

5:  Talisman pick from the legendary (to me anyway) Marcel Jacob from the debut Talisman era...early 90's.  Got this from JSS and treasure it after Marcel's passing even more.  Back in the 90's I felt like I was  the only person in Australia who knew who Talisman were, but they seem to have a few more followers these days.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 06:04:05 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au