Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 907206 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh it's definitely decent Paul -no question.   I am half way through my second listen and it's already improving my rating.   It won't end up as highly rated as Mindcrime , Rage For Order or (most likely) Empire/Warning but over time I think it may well be next best.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 03:34:49 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Oh it's definitely decent Paul -no question.   I am half way through my second listen and it's already improving my rating.   It won't end up as highly rated as Mindcrime , Rage For Order or (most likely) Empire/Warning but over time I think it may well be next best.

Sounding good then. I know you're not a big fan of Promised Land, and neither am I really - there's half a great album there but too much filler. And it was downhill from there. I may be alone in liking some of O:M 2, though the production was crap, but since then only the S/T is listenable. I'm optimistic then.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
OK after two and a bit listens I'll go with a rating of 86% (compared to the s/t at 81%).    it's an album with very strong bookends and a bit of a lull in the mid section.

My ratings look something like this - Arrow of Time has grown on me now.

1.   "Arrow of Time"     3:59  :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup

2.   "Guardian"     4:19  :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup

3.   "Hellfire"     5:05   :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup

4.   "Toxic Remedy"     4:09  :tup :tup :tup :tup

5.   "Selfish Lives"     4:57  :tup :tup :tup

6.   "Eye9"     3:20  :tup :tup :tup :tup

7.   "Bulletproof"     4:00  :tup :tup :tup :tup

8.   "Hourglass"     5:09  :tup :tup :tup :tup

9.   "Just Us"     5:58  :tup :tup :tup :tup

10.   "All There Was"     3:44  :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup

11.   "The Aftermath"     0:59

12.   "Condition Hüman"   :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup

So.........very good album but they still seem to be lacking the same degree of memorable melodies that they had at their peak - whether that's due to the absence of DeGarmo or not I don't know.  I suspect it has a bit to do with it as the solos aren't quite there either in many cases.

So the tracks released so far are 3 of the best 5 IMO.   But Condition Human (title track) , and less so Hellfire and Guardian are definitely the most classic sounding tracks since Empire IMO. Condition Human may well be my favourite track since Empire, even though the soloing isn't up to scratch.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Cool. Can't wait for this to arrive - with Winery Dogs and WASP.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I haven't heard the Winery Dogs but those I know who have seem to think it's clearly better than the debut.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Sounds good, looking forward to it

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Damn I hope I can find Ryche and WASP instore this weekend.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

I would be surprised if at least one of them isn't in store.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I haven't heard the Winery Dogs but those I know who have seem to think it's clearly better than the debut.
It cannot be worse.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I would be surprised if at least one of them isn't in store.

Ryche been pushed back to the 9th for me!  :censored

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Got my hands on a low bitrate (192) reviewers copy of the new WASP.   Will check it out at some point today - squeezing as much in between roulette rounds as I can.  :metal

From a Queensryche point of view the good news is that I have the urge to return to my favourite tracks on that album for more listens.  That's pretty much the first time that has happened since Empire.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm trying to get excited about the new WASP but I thought the song Scream sucked.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm trying to get excited about the new WASP but I thought the song Scream sucked.

I agree to some extent .  I think it's a decent song taken in isolation (if you weren't a WASP fan) but if you know their stuff it's just way too familiar/safe and that's where most of the suckage is for me.   I expect the album will be like their last couple (which have been the best in ages) where there were a few really strong tracks in among a lot of cookie cutter WASP stuff.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I agree to some extent .  I think it's a decent song taken in isolation (if you weren't a WASP fan) but if you know their stuff it's just way too familiar/safe and that's where most of the suckage is for me.   I expect the album will be like their last couple (which have been the best in ages) where there were a few really strong tracks in among a lot of cookie cutter WASP stuff.

I literally haven't paid attention to a new release by WASP since The Headless Children, and haven't sampled anything since save for The Crimson Idol. So with all of the WASP chatter around here lately, I figured I'd jump in on the new album with everyone, but that first song was terrible and I am likely, if not probably, skipping it altogether.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm really looking forward to the WASP, but I'm a fanboy.  I eat up the same shit Blackie serves for breakfast every time.  Last couple were great IMO.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Well I have just had my first serving of Blackie's breakfast shit and I rate it around the same as Queensryche (86%)

Main points:

- great sounding
- Blackie has regained peak form and sounds great
- the WASP formula is in overdrive so it's a bit one paced , so nothing like the variety on albums like The Headless Children
- it's on the softer side......it's hard rock / metal but not as heavy as albums like s/t , Headless etc...

Even though I have rated them around the same,  WASP's rating reflects consistency across the album whereas the Queensryche has much higher highs but a definite low or two IMO.

If I were to pick an album I wanted to play again right now (and the one I think has the most longevity) it would be the Queensryche.  I'll just skip a few tracks .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gazinwales

OMG all this talk of WASP is making me feel very old.
I remember being in school when the debut album came out and the Animal single.
I haven't bothered with them since THC and surprised to hear that Blackie's voice is so strong.
After seeing him lyp sync at a concert in the mid 2000's, I assumed his voice was shot.

Offline Lowdz

OMG all this talk of WASP is making me feel very old.
I remember being in school when the debut album came out and the Animal single.
I haven't bothered with them since THC and surprised to hear that Blackie's voice is so strong.
After seeing him lyp sync at a concert in the mid 2000's, I assumed his voice was shot.

I remember them the same - I bought the animal single on picture disc, the codpiece one. Iloved that first album then it was a bit 50/50 for the next couple until Headles Children and the awesome Crimson Idol. After that I lost touch fro a while - the Neon God stuff didn't live up to its predecessor. Babylon was very good and  I like what I've heard so far from the new one.
Blackie sounds as good as he ever has.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
the Neon God stuff didn't live up to its predecessor.

No, but I don't think these albums were as bad as everyone said.  I think the thing that let it down was the production, it's pretty bad and I think the last two sound great.  If Neon God had a stronger production like Babylon and Dominator, it would have helped it a lot.

Offline Lowdz

Haven't heard them in years so can't remember anything about them. Will see if they are on Spotify while I wait for the newie

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
the Neon God stuff didn't live up to its predecessor.

No, but I don't think these albums were as bad as everyone said.  I think the thing that let it down was the production, it's pretty bad and I think the last two sound great.  If Neon God had a stronger production like Babylon and Dominator, it would have helped it a lot.

I haven't heard anything since Unholy Terror and Dying for the World.  I thought those two were solid releases but didn't compare to the S/T- Crimson Idol for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Am I the only one that found the self titled, THC and TCI absolutely perfect yet TLC and ITEC not up to scratch and contained filler?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Am I the only one that found the self titled, THC and TCI absolutely perfect yet TLC and ITEC not up to scratch and contained filler?

No ........I agree.   But when I did my WASP rankings a while back I enjoyed those lesser albums a bit more than I remembered.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
It cannot be worse.

Wanna bet ? :lol

I have had a quick chance to listen to the new one and I think I like it quite a bit less than the debut - from what little I rememeber of it :P  I agree with a post in the dedicated thread that it's a bit more funky if anything.    I find a lot of Kotzen related stuff is fine to listen to , but the songs sorta blur into each other.  They have that funky, bluesy vibe and very little variation in sound/tempo/vocal register. And the occasional ballads aren't all that great either.  On this album it's a track called Fire that is decent with a nice guitar solo ,but nothing I would rave about, and another decent bluesy ballad called Think It Over.

I can get through a listen okay (struggling by the end) but have very little desire to return to it , as very little stands out as fantastic.

So I will likely rate the new one around 70-ish right now but over time I am not sure.  I get the feeling it will have very little staying power.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I can get through a listen okay (struggling by the end) but have very little desire to return to it , as very little stands out as fantastic.
My feelings towards both albums.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Still trying (not really) to digest the first Winery Dogs. It sounds kinda nice but has a serious lack in high points, every song sounds kinda samey and the album is too long for that. And Chris Cornell was better in Soundgarden. So I'm not sure if I'm up for a second one.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lowdz

No that's exactly how I feel.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

No ........I agree.   But when I did my WASP rankings a while back I enjoyed those lesser albums a bit more than I remembered.

I'll definitely have to get them out again.  I don't listen to them all that often.  There's a couple of real gems on Circus though.  Mainly, Restless Gypsy and I'm Alive.

No that's exactly how I feel.

:tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The title track from Circus was probably my favorite from the first three albums.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Restless Gypsy is a fantastic song

Offline Lowdz

There was enough good stuff across TLC and TEC to make one great album but there was plenty of filler.

WTTEC is a cool song.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The title track and Gypsy are incredible songs indeed.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
This thread almost went to Page 2 of GMD .........ain't gonna happen  :biggrin:

Just having my first listen to the Denner/Sherman album (EP) .  I like it - just not sure how much after the first listen.  The guitars are suitably  :metal but the vocals/songs are growers I think.   

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
This thread almost went to Page 2 of GMD .........ain't gonna happen  :biggrin:

Just having my first listen to the Denner/Sherman album (EP) .  I like it - just not sure how much after the first listen.  The guitars are suitably  :metal but the vocals/songs are growers I think.   

I've only heard Peck in Death Dealer which didn't do it for me.  Never heard any Cage.  He sounds good on this though.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
OK after two and a bit listens I'll go with a rating of 86% (compared to the s/t at 81%).   

After playing the new Queensryche in the car for a couple of hours today I would say the 86% gets upgraded to somewhere in the low 90's.    If I was to nitpick the rhythm guitars could do with a little more prominence in the mix at times and some of the guitar solos sound wrong/incomplete.  At times it seems like Wilton is playing the low half of one of his old harmonies with DeGarmo, only DeGarmo ain't there.  There's some WTF moments with those guitar solos .

But as I said - that's nitpicking and it's a really strong album that would've slotted in nicely between Empire and Promised Land.    :metal 

www.theguitardojo.com.au