Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909168 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Looking at all these top 10's makes you realise how fucking brilliant this band really is.  Every top 10 here is strong, no issues with any of these from me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Looking at all these top 10's makes you realise how fucking brilliant this band really is.  Every top 10 here is strong, no issues with any of these from me.

So where's yours?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

So where's yours?

Probably a few pages back.  I'll find it and repost it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
1. Jugulator
2. Painkiller
3. Defenders of the Faith
4. Sin After Sin
5. Ram it Down

Yes, weird rankings I know.  Jugulator has a strong nostalgia factor that most of you already know, but really Painkiller I would have no issue being number 1 either, it's a perfect metal album.  Sin After Sin I think it terribly underrated and full of brilliant songs, and Ram It Down, I just love the variety and the bit of cheese.  Turbo could go in here too, love that one too.

Top 10 songs........you could make multiple top 10 lists and they would all be valid.  I'll have a crack though;

1. Painkiller
2. Beyond the Realms of Death
3. Touch of Evil
4. One Shot At Glory
5. Cathedral Spires
6. Rock Hard Ride Free
7. Here Come the Tears
8. Between the Hammer and the Anvil
9. I'm A Rocker
10. Desert Plains

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Awesome!! :tup
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Lots of diverse lists and all are great.

I don't think I've seen the four big radio hits on any of the lists though

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I don't think I've seen the four big radio hits on any of the lists though

What were they jj - never heard Priest on mainstream radio in my life.   And thanks for all your lists guys - I will have plenty to work with here.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm guessing he means;

Breaking the Law
You Got Another Thing Coming
Living After Midnight

And maybe United, or Turbo Lover?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm guessing he means;

Breaking the Law
Living After Midnight

Turbo Lover with the three you mentioned.  Actually I don't really hear Turbo very often but I hear the big three non stop on the radio daily. 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Forgetting the fact that my #1 album is 70's ( Van Halen 1) , me and the 70's are usually like oil and water........a bit like the 90's actually.  Hmmm.  :rollin

Anyway- I am surprised how much I am enjoying Sin After Sin  :metal
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Anyway- I am surprised how much I am enjoying Sin After Sin  :metal

Top 5 for me, really really underrated.

I'm guessing he means;

Breaking the Law
Living After Midnight

Turbo Lover with the three you mentioned.  Actually I don't really hear Turbo very often but I hear the big three non stop on the radio daily. 

Thought most likely Turbo Lover.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Sin after Sin is awesome

Come to think of it, Dissident Aggressor should be in my top ten. Try and tell me a cooler song than that bad boy!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I missed that one too.  Not sure it would crack my top 10, but top 20 definitely.  IMO taht song is way ahead of its time.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

10 just isn't enough...

Spot on.........working on cutting down my top 20 into 10.

For the moment though here are my album rankings - all except the debut.   Judas Priest have been pretty damn consistent over time with the odd misstep but I think I can say that there are very,very few bands other than Judas Priest that would have 9 albums that I rate greater than 80% .  And nothing < 70%  Some of my all time faves like DT and Queensryche can't match that - not even close.

1. Painkiller
2. Defenders of the Faith
3. Turbo

4. Sin After Sin
4. Redeemer of Souls (TIE)
6. Screaming For Vengeance
7. Ram It Down
7 Stained Class (TIE)
9 British Steel

10 Killing Machine
11 Point of Entry

12 Nostradamus
13 Demolition
14 Angel of Retribution
15 Sad Wings of Destiny
16 Jugulator

I can't see too much controvery in amongst that , except perhaps Redeemer being so high.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 04:11:44 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Well DTF's favourite Priest albums are very clear cut.

It was Defenders of the Faith #1 , Painkiller trailing by a bee's dick at #2 and the length of the straight to anything else. 

Marginal difference between the rest , but of those that got more than one mention in a Top 5 (Jugulator and SWOD each got one big mention which skewed things a bit in a small sample) , we have:

#3 Turbo
#4 British Steel/SFV

My Top 3 made Top 3 so I'm happy about that  :metal

We have a better sample of Top 10 songs than albums (first time ever), so this should be interesting.......will get my list in tonight and collate.  Top 5 is easy - the next 5 not so much.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 05:22:00 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Interesting seeing Turbo so high, but seeing we are melodic metal and 80's buffs, I guess it's not that surprising.

IMO, Redeemer is by far their weakest album, just didn't really get into it.  There are some good songs, but some real plodders that slow it down IMO.  I miss KK too.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Cool to see ROS ranked high.

I liked it 20x better than Nostradamus

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Cool to see ROS ranked high.

I liked it 20x better than Nostradamus

Reverse it and maybe add another 0 here and you've got my opinion.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Turbo is not Top 3 material.

Perhaps in Australia! ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Turbo is not Top 3 material.

Perhaps in Australia! ;D

Well it was top 3 on DTF too thanks to Mr Lowdz   :tup

OK........that was a real exercise to get my Top 10 songs.   This has been a worthwhile exercise for me because I have never bothered much with the 70's albums and in the end three 70's songs almost made my Top 10 , but I really couldn't put them above songs I have liked for decades.   Listening to Priest and similar bands around 1978 just reinforces how fucking heavy that debut VH sounds too.

Anyway - here it is.

In rough order:

The Sentinel
One Shot At Glory
Rock Hard Ride free
A Touch Of Evil
Nightcrawler
Freewheel Burning
Night Comes Down
Reckless
Painkiller
Desert Plains

Of those , nobody else showed love for Freewheel Burning, Reckless (soft spot for that as one of my earliest Priest listens),Night Comes Down.

Just missed - Beyond The Realms Of Death, White Heat Red Hot, Living After Midnight, RUnning Wild, Blood Red Skies

And the DTF best list is as follows (ranked by mentions in Top 10):

1. Desert Plains/Beyond The Realms of Death (TIE)
2. A Touch of Evil
3. Electric Eye/ The Sentinel/Painkiller (TIE)
4. Blood Red Skies/Victim of Changes (TIE)

After that we're down to two mentions each for Jawbreaker,Bloodstone,I'm A Rocker,One Shot At Glory,Rock Hard Ride Free,Dreamer Deceiver,Nightcrawler,The Ripper and Heading Out To The Highway

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
That reminds me, when I ran the Judas Priest Survivor a few years ago the winner was Painkiller :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Interesting to see so much love for Desert Plains, kick ass song.

That's a fabulous top 10 Brent.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Pity Dreamer Deceiver didn't do so well, but I'm glad to see Beyond the Realms of Death tied for the first place.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Dreamer Deceiver just missed out for me, top 15.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Interesting to see so much love for Desert Plains, kick ass song.

That's a fabulous top 10 Brent.

Both Desert Plains and Dreamer Deceiver are awesome.

Either DD, or Night Comes Down, would be my favorite power ballad from the band.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Night Comes Down is very underrated.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
All I can say is every song available so far from the new Slayer album is  :metal :metal :metal

Here's another one:
https://bravewords.com/news/slayer-cast-the-first-stone-track-streaming-free-download-available

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Didn't know you were a Slayer fan Tim.  Not really digging what I've heard and lost touch with this band a while ago, but I will definitely check the new album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Didn't know you were a Slayer fan Tim.  Not really digging what I've heard and lost touch with this band a while ago, but I will definitely check the new album.

I loved Slayer back in the day. Last album I bought and tour I saw was Divine Intervention. I have downloaded copies of their last two but did not really like them. I think they just tried to be a little too brutal than they really, in fact, are.

Everything I've heard from this new one is totally reminiscent of their classic era. I am totally getting this!

I absolutely LOVE Seasons In The Abyss and South Of Heaven. Show No Mercy too! :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
All the old stuff is just incredible.  I thought God Hates Us All was great, but after that not so much.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Seasons and South Of Heaven are the best from the old Slayer. God hates us all was good too, after that I lost interest. Maybe I should check out the new one.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't think I'll like it that much as it isn't my style anymore but eager to listen to it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Sweet Jesus, while on holidays I'm looking through all my cd's and digging out ones I've never really listened to and all the Schenker and UFO talk, I might have said, that I don't really know much of Schenker's solo work.  Looking through, I stumble across A best of called Forever and More and something called Tales of Rock n Roll. (Not sure if this is a collection or what yet)   :facepalm:  Man, I had a big big problem.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You need to get MSG, his second album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll use this best of to get a general feel of his stuff.  Looks like a lot of UFO tracks on here though, lots of live stuff too.