Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 908966 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Not much glam, just a taste of what was going on at the time.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

I love it, it's a perfect mix of the 80's glam and classic Priest, wonderful.

Yeah that sums it up. I love Blood Red Skies. I overlooked it at the time, favouring Turbo. I was wrong there, its a quality album. Could do without the drum machine though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Could use Scott Travis though.  :lol

Yeah, I don't mind the drum machine, it still sounds pretty strong, as does the whole album.  Love Monsters of Rock roo, great Sabbath vibe on this one IMO.  And even the dodgy songs like Come and Get It, Love Zone etc. are pretty good.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Dont forget Hard as Iron!!  Great tune!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I am not going to get time to listen to the live albums , but aside from Rocka Rolla I will have listened to the whole Priest studio discog by tomorrow.  So if anyone else wants to get up some Priest rankings before I add mine and collate them , then now is the time.  Like WASP, Priest are an important band for me and so I have taken this opportunity to catch up on the few albums I had never bothered with and rate pretty much everything.

NP Painkiller  :metal :metal :hefdaddy

Of the albums I was familiar with but haven't listened to in a while (most of them) my thoughts/ratings haven't changed a great deal , aside from maybe Point of Entry which I had rated very low in the past and it's really not too bad at all.   Why I have a Ram It Down era bonus track on it I have no idea though ??? - good one too (Thunder Road)

For the next band I think we'll go a bit more in the hard rock direction after concentrating on metal so far.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 12:47:49 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Point Of Entry is horrible, save for a couple of tracks. Heading Out To The Highway is still one of my favorite Priest tunes.

And you selling yourself short by not hitting Unleashed.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I do have it and will get to it , but for now all the studio albums in a few days will do me.  And I need to start listening to my jingle.list for the roulette so as I fit in and don't get fucked off  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
..and I need a list of banned bands for yours..soon!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
..and I need a list of banned bands for yours..soon!

I can't see a banned list being feasible for me to be honest.........I have 5000+ albums by >2000 artists (many of which I haven't got to , but that's beside the point :lol)  and I am after music from albums I don't have.  Do we really want a 2000 long banned list of bands?   And I am prepared to accept songs /albums I don't have from bands I like.........let's say Rock Rolla by Priest for example.

What I think I will suggest is what Chad has already done - he's been planning well ahead.  I will take some time in the week after my first post to allow people (if they want to) to send me a list of say 10-20 albums/bands that they might like to use.  I will take the time to look through my stuff and respond with what is banned and what isn't.  At least that will allow a base for people to work from and avoid constant back/forward submissions and rejections through the roulette.  It's not compulsory at all , but I think it will be useful and anyone can start that process now if they know that they want to participate. 

I had better start clearing out my PMs - I struggle with my 25 message limit as it is.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 06:23:37 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
This sounds like a lot of work. I honestly doubt I have any bands that you do not.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Rush  :lol

I think you would be surprised how much you have that I don't.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Rush  :lol

I think you would be surprised how much you have that I don't.

Maybe YOU should PM ME a list of 20 bands I could use! :rollin

Perhaps you could use your own Rush Intervention!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 07:10:34 AM by TAC »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
OK.............all the DTF faves.    Rush, Ayreon, Pain of Salvation, Riverside, Coheed and Cambria,  Opeth, Spock's Beard, Enchant , Neal Morse , Steven Wilson..

How's that?   ;D   That's one for every round  ;)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 07:51:45 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That's not good. The only thing I have is Rush!!!!

Seriously , look at my iPod list and PM me what I could send.  I do have other stuff kicking around too.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Are you watching Chad?.........this is why I was reluctant to do my own roulette.  The particpants are asking me to suggest songs for them to send before I even start  :rollin

All I can suggest Tim is that I check out your Top 50 & Roulette List and I'll let you know what I don't have.  Aside from their biggest songs I will also allow Led Zeppelin.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Are you watching Chad?.........this is why I was reluctant to do my own roulette. 
It's your own damn fault!

All I can suggest Tim is that I check out your Top 50 and I'll let you know what I don't have.  Aside from their biggest songs I will also allow Led Zeppelin.

That would be great. Thank you.

An I know what I'm sending for the Zeppelin Round!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Well I don't have any Blondie Tim - there's your first one  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Don't laugh! Tons of great stuff!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Don't laugh! Tons of great stuff!

And you mock us.   :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yes. Yes I do. :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
OK Tim.........as I thought, I have heaps of stuff just from your iPod list - some bands and plenty of albums I don't have by various artists.  Let me tidy things up a bit and add some detail and I'll get it back to you soonish and then at least you have something to work with.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

:lol

On my I-Pod, I use initials to hide the skeleton in my closet bands.  Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Just upgraded Stained Class quite a bit too - following it with Redeemer of Souls and unfortunately the shit production took about 10 secs to piss me off.   Shame - as I like the album.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 10:07:12 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

That's an old trick. Like on J Boy's iPod, under Dream Theater, it lists Black Clouds and Animotion. ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Mine has BCR.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

That's an old trick. Like on J Boy's iPod, under Dream Theater, it lists Black Clouds and Animotion. ;D

When Duran and Duran Unite  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

When Duran and Duran Unite  :lol
:rollin

Exactly!

Mine has BCR.

Black Chick Records
Is this where you hide your Beyoncé collection?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Its mind boggling that Brent will try to do a roulette.

How is that possible??

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Nope.  Keep guessing Tim.  :lol

Offline Lowdz

Point Of Entry is horrible, save for a couple of tracks. Heading Out To The Highway is still one of my favorite Priest tunes.

I don't mind PoE. Some good stuff on there, it's not a write off.
Desert Plains is a great song. Don't Go and Hot Rockin are fine for what they are.  Yeah, not a bad album at all. Most priest albums have a clunker or too, even Screaming has a couple.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Desert Plains is fantastic!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Alright, time to post my top ten Priest songs.

1. Dreamer Deceiver
2. Beyond the Realms of Death
3. Victim of Changes
4. Alone
5. The Hellion / Electric Eye
6. Blood Red Skies
7. A Touch of Evil
8. Nostradamus
9. Painkiller
10. Night Crawler

Between the Hammer and the Anvil, Revelations, Persecution, Judas Rising, Desert Plains and probably more songs I don't remember right now are all the worthy contenders for this list. I'm kinda biased towards Nostradamus album though.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 01:41:01 PM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Some of those would be in my Priest top 10.  I'll go with:

Beyond the Realms of Death
Dreamer Deceiver/Deceiver
Sinner
Victim of Changes
Desert Plains
Bloodstone
A Touch of Evil
Ram It Down
The Rage
Exciter

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'd go with:

1. Hellion/Electric Eye
2. Heading Out To The Highway
3. The Sentinal
4. Victim Of Changes
5. Desert Plains
6. Screaming For Vengeance
7. The Ripper
8. Don't Have To Be Old To Be Wise
9. Painkiller
10. Beyond The Realms Of Death

Offline Lowdz

TAC's list is pretty awesome.

Let's see.

The Hellion / Electric Eye
Beyond the Realms of Death
The sentinel
Blood red skies
The ripper
Delivering the goods
Jawbreaker
Desert plains
Heading out to the highway