Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909123 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah.........we have discussed this before but it was glass shattering stuff.  I tend not to wear ear plugs when I should and that night was one time I should've.  I often leave gigs with muffled hearing that subsides over the next day or so , but that's the only time I have left a gig with my ears seriously hurting.

Setlist:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/judas-priest/2001/the-palace-complex-melbourne-australia-6bd4e6e2.html

I think Aussie band Heaven supported too ...........good times.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Took a few days to get back to normal for me.

8.5/10 for the new WASP from blabbermouth;

https://www.blabbermouth.net/cdreviews/golgotha-2/

I'm interested in your top 10 Priest song rankings too Brent.  Jason's list is pure classic.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Wow,.....I have Jugulator and never really played it.    I will make sure I do before I get my rankings out there.  No need to post in the album thread for the next week.........all day Priest for the next day or two and then all jingle.roulette.list from there.

I should also check out Live Meltdown.  Ripper destroyed my ears when I saw them so it might sound better with some volume control  :lol

The two could be one and the same.  Only JP I have is British Steel.  Somehow they (like many 70s metal acts) fell just outside my radar.  Halford's voice just had this certain 'je ne sais quoi'.  Sometimes great; sometimes I couldn't stand it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/judas-priest/2001/the-palace-complex-melbourne-australia-6bd4e6e2.html

That's pretty much the same set I got.  If Heaven were more of a hard rock style band, they were the support for me too.  From what I remember they were very good.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow,.....I have Jugulator and never really played it.    I will make sure I do before I get my rankings out there.  No need to post in the album thread for the next week.........all day Priest for the next day or two and then all jingle.roulette.list from there.

I should also check out Live Meltdown.  Ripper destroyed my ears when I saw them so it might sound better with some volume control  :lol

The two could be one and the same.  Only JP I have is British Steel.  Somehow they (like many 70s metal acts) fell just outside my radar.  Halford's voice just had this certain 'je ne sais quoi'.  Sometimes great; sometimes I couldn't stand it.

I know you've tried Chad, just one of those things I guess.  You really are missing out on one of the greatest bands of all time.  Try Painkiller again man.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

I know you've tried Chad, just one of those things I guess.  You really are missing out on one of the greatest bands of all time.  Try Painkiller again man.

Make me!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

That's pretty much the same set I got.  If Heaven were more of a hard rock style band, they were the support for me too.  From what I remember they were very good.

Sounds like them - sorta AC/DC style , especially live , but with a bit more melody and variety..   The got an HM in my Top50 for one of their albums.   The song Burn was always a fave of mine ........had to upload it to YT myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP_14PDcgBg&list=UU7rItKxXI2F7r-oSFWcFDGQ

I spent more time listening to Heaven than AC/DC to be honest.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I have said this before, but I was in on Heaven back in the day! :metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Cathedral Spires might be one of their most underrated tunes ever.

Besides Wolf, I've never seen anyone else rank Jugulator number 1.  Great album.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Sounds like them - sorta AC/DC style , especially live , but with a bit more melody and variety..   The got an HM in my Top50 for one of their albums.   The song Burn was always a fave of mine ........had to upload it to YT myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP_14PDcgBg&list=UU7rItKxXI2F7r-oSFWcFDGQ

I spent more time listening to Heaven than AC/DC to be honest.

That's the style, probably them, solid song.

Cathedral Spires might be one of their most underrated tunes ever.

Besides Wolf, I've never seen anyone else rank Jugulator number 1.  Great album.

I think one day I really have to look at my rankings and review them and maybe admit to myself that the nostalgia factor has too much of an influecne on the rankings.  Because if I could only ever listen to either Jugulator or Painkiller for the rest of my life, I'd go Painkiller.

Offline Lowdz

I'm not much of a Ripper fan - I'm not doubting his voice he's just been unlucky to sing on subpar albums by the bands he's fronted.saying that, I'm listening to Live In London and it's an excellent live album. I was about to buy the dad but half the gig is missing.
He does a good job on the songs but he's no rob halford.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm sure there are tons of Priest fans who listened to Jugulator once and never gave it a chance again.  Completely different from anything else they ever did

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I was about to buy the dad but half the gig is missing.

Hey?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Apparently the mom was out of stock!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Million Dollar Man, Lowdz Dibiase

Offline Lowdz

Hey?

Stupid Apple predictive text. DVD!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
We call that pulling a kingshmegland around here!

Offline Lowdz

We call that pulling a kingshmegland around here!

I don't think I want to be pulling a kingshmegland...  :biggrin:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Hey?

Should have gotten that.  What do you mean half the gig is missing? I have the DVD and is has the full show plus bonus songs not played at the concert performed in soundcheck.

Offline Lowdz

Hey?

Should have gotten that.  What do you mean half the gig is missing? I have the DVD and is has the full show plus bonus songs not played at the concert performed in soundcheck.
Just been listening to the album on Apple music and it's got 26 tracks. The back cover on Amazon for the DVD lists 19. It didn't look that many at first glance. And BTRoD isn't one of them. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Hey?

Just been listening to the album on Apple music and it's got 26 tracks. The back cover on Amazon for the DVD lists 19. It didn't look that many at first glance. And BTRoD isn't one of them.

Fuck you're right, I remember now, I was bummed that BTROD wasn't on it.  Don't know what's going on with my memory at the moment.  :lol  I think there's actually 5 or 6 songs that are left off the DVD.  It's still well worth it though man.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Yes the cd had all the tracks but the DVD didn't. Strange

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The only thing I can come up with is that they must have had a few technical errors or something while recording as the songs missing are scattered throughout the concert.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Thats a good guess.  But I rarely watch music dvds, but always listen to live albums, so it didn't make much of a difference to me.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Just got through my first listen to Demolition - decent album I suppose with a few standout tracks . Ripper doesn't sound anywhere near as powerful on the studio album as he did live.

It's possibly one of those albums that is better if you come into it with open ears rather than thinking "How does it rate as a Priest album?"   I'd give it around 75% which is probably better than most from what I gather :lol

I've never bothered with the Ripper stuff or the 70's stuff (I rarely respond well to the 70's :lol) , but I will try and give all the albums at least one listen over the next day or two.

Onto Jugulator.....
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 03:01:32 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Just got through my first listen to Demolition - decent album I suppose with a few standout tracks . Ripper doesn't sound anywhere near as powerful on the studio album as he did live.

It's possibly one of those albums that is better if you come into it with open ears rather than thinking "How does it rate as a Priest album?"   I'd give it around 75% which is probably better than most from what I gather :lol

I've never bothered with the Ripper stuff or the 70's stuff (I rarely respond well to the 70's :lol) , but I will try and give all the albums at least one listen over the next day or two.

Onto Jugulator.....

I bought Demolition back when it was released but I don't remember much about it. The live in London versions I listened to yesterday seemed fine. I'll have to give it another go. Was going to listen to Jugulator last night but it wasn't on Apple Music. I'm sure i tried it a while ago at Kade's urging but it didn't do much for me.

I did like Angel Of Retribution of the reunion albums, but the rest have been poor. I liked the latest one initially but repeated listens weren't as positive.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
Unleashed in the East is a great live album. Great versions of Victim of changes, the Ripper, Green Manalishi, Exciter and Diamonds and Rust.
As to how much of it is live, though....  ::)
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Unleashed in the East is a great live album. Great versions of Victim of changes, the Ripper, Green Manalishi, Exciter and Diamonds and Rust.
As to how much of it is live, though....  ::)

Fantastic live album. One of the best ever

Doesn't matter to me at all if there is some studio magic

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I never saw the point in trying Unleashed as I hadn't been too interested in the studio albums to that point.  Hopefully this upcoming Priestathon will change my mind. 

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Unleashed is awesome, and kind of like I pointed out in my roulette. The versions of these songs are so much better than their studio counterparts.

Offline Lowdz

Unleashed is awesome, and kind of like I pointed out in my roulette. The versions of these songs are so much better than their studio counterparts.

I said exactly the same thing in my top 50. Brought some fire to the songs that the dull studio recordings lacked. If that's because of re recording in the studio so be it. My only gripe is its too short. And there's no beyond the realms of death. Why they keep leaving that off their live albums is beyond me. At least live in London had it. The halford live album had it too.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I got Ram it Down cranking in the car, love it.  Man, Tipton is an absolute beast on this, such as tasteful guitarist.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That's the most underrated Priest album IMO

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I love it, it's a perfect mix of the 80's glam and classic Priest, wonderful.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I love it, it's a perfect mix of the 80's glam and classic Priest, wonderful.

Good way to describe it!