Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 909027 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I liked the Robert Mason Lynch Mob album the best from what I've heard from them. What would you rate the first two LM albums Brent?

I rated the Mason one 92% but haven't done a rating on the debut but I guess it'd be high 80's-90% if memory serves correct.   The Mason one is a bit darker and has some great stuff on it .......I haven't listened to it in a while but When Darkness Calls comes to mind as a favourite.   The bonus track is a good one too.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
yeah I thought the second album was better too

Offline Lowdz

yeah I thought the second album was better too

whilst i loved ws, that 2nd one is better. could have done without the queen cover, but otherwise a solid album. WS probably had 2-3 of the better songs, but not as consistent.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
not much of a fan of that queen cover either

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I seriously don't think I've ever heard a single Lynch Mob album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Not too late for a Lynch Mob round in the roulette

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
This is for Paul..............given his posts in the 90's thread (which I agree with).   I thought I would post it here rather than ruffle feathers in the 90's thread but this album got a laugh out of me

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
To be fair, there is qutie a lot of shit on that cover, and I don't mind some of the old 90's one hit wonder type stuff.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Not too late for a Lynch Mob round in the roulette
Yes it is!! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Later in the week I am going to be very reluctantly parting with one of my most prized possessions  :'(   One or two of you are aware of my journey from retired 33 yo to struggling 40yo - a long story that I won't bore you with about being way too nice and letting myself get taken for a ride by a mate in a disastrous property deal...........but family comes first and I'm forced to sell up/cash up and try to rebuild.

For the sake of posterity.......here's a photo of my 5150 number plates.  (the 5150th pair of plates ever issued in my state of Victoria , originally produced in the 1930's).   I'm much sadder about the plates than the car .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Sweet car!!

But don't forget, no matter what you'll always have the rock/metal (and the rest of us at DTF)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Really sorry to hear that. And those are awesome plates too.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Sweet car!!

But don't forget, no matter what you'll always have the rock/metal (and the rest of us at DTF)

Thanks guys .......picking up those plates was a miracle in itself , so it's hard to part with them.

And yes.......my music and you crazy dudes go a long way to keeping me sane .  Looking at Tim's Roulette thread that last sentence makes no sense.  :lol

Part of my penance for all this may be a move to Queensland for a while , so there could be DTF double trouble coming out of that part of the world   (me and Kade)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Sweet car!!

Thanks guys .......picking up those plates was a miracle in itself , so it's hard to part with them.

And yes.......my music and you crazy dudes go a long way to keeping me sane .  Looking at Tim's Roulette thread that last sentence makes no sense.  :lol

Part of my penance for all this may be a move to Queensland for a while , so there could be DTF double trouble coming out of that part of the world   (me and Kade)

:tup

Life can be shit, and bastards like that don't make it any easier.

I would like to come and visit your homeland one day, but you'd have to hoover up all the snakes and spiders first or I ain't getting off the plane  :omg:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 07:30:59 AM by Lowdz »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Man, that would be awesome!

That car and the plates are sweet man, sounds like some story so sorry to hear you gotta part with it.  Memories are precious though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Fuck, TMac sick possibly with cancer, tour postponed.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/tony-macalpine-postpones-asia-and-australia-tours-due-to-illness-cancer-suspected/

"Last week I was taken to the hospital with severe stomach pains. Following blood work, multiple MRI scans and various procedures, medical doctors discovered a large mass in my intestine, and it seems likely that we are dealing with cancer. My doctors have advised me that this will need to be dealt with immediately, and I am scheduled for surgery this week. Recovery from this surgery will take a month — right when I was scheduled to tour the Australasian region."

He continues: "Providing all goes well, it is our understanding I should be well enough to perform on the coming European tour.

"For Australia and Asia, we are working on rescheduling the shows. We will advise you as soon as possible when the new dates are booked."

MacAlpine adds: "We apologize for any inconvenience these tour postponements have caused, but I'm determined to make these dates up, and rock your city soon!"

Read more at https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/tony-macalpine-postpones-asia-and-australia-tours-due-to-illness-cancer-suspected/#IoFiYs4Km1pW5MwX.99

I feel quite ill right now, this sucks for him.  Beat this TMac!  Fuck cancer.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Yeah, fuck cancer.  That's a bitch.  Thinking good thoughts for him.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Was looking forward to going to the show too, but that's not an issue here, sending good prayers his way.  Not much info but seems like he's onto it pretty quick, wishing all the best.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah, that's too bad. And HE's apologizing?

He seems like a cool guy and when my Roulette is over I will be looking for starting points with him. (Don't list 'em here/now).

Saw this this morning:
https://www.guitarworld.com/21-best-kiss-songs

It's actually the 21 most underrated Kiss Songs.

Strange Ways! King Of The Mountain! :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Damn - sorry to hear that about TMac  :'(

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

He seems like a cool guy and when my Roulette is over I will be looking for starting points with him. (Don't list 'em here/now).

Saw this this morning:

The only thing that would get me to a KISS concert these days is a setlist of the "album tracks". My favourite KISS songs are all those they never play live.

STrange ways is such a great song. Ace had a style all his own when it comes to songwriting. That solo  :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Saw this this morning:

The only thing that would get me to a KISS concert these days is a setlist of the "album tracks". My favourite KISS songs are all those they never play live.

STrange ways is such a great song. Ace had a style all his own when it comes to songwriting. That solo  :metal

This may not quite be what you're after Paul, but back in 2004 they did a gig here in Melbourne that I attended at a smaller venue (in addition to the regular arena gigs) that was a bit more for the diehard fans.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kiss/2004/palais-theatre-melbourne-australia-3d405ef.html

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
They did that here in Sydney too, although I only got to see the arena show (didn't know about the smaller one until that night and had no money anyway). Even the arena show had less played songs that they haven't really done since, probably because those songs tanked. But I dug hearing all of those tracks, especially Tears Are Falling, which got a tumbleweed response from the crowd. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That is a great setlist.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Hope for the best for TMac

Some great Kiss songs on that list.  Exciter is a great tune as is the entire Lick it Up album.

Offline Lowdz

Yeah I was aware of this gig. Much better than the usual setlist. I guess the KISS cruise is the best chance of hearing the deeper tracks now. When the lottery win happens I'm there.

PLayed Creatures and LIU today. Great albums.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
OK............I said that my next feature band would be a big one.  More powerful than Animotion and Duran Duran put together , I present Judas Priest  :metal  :metal

Some may not call the pic above the classic lineup but for me it's Painkiller all the way.  I had been a casual listener for a while prior to Painkiller and was already a big fan of The Sentinel (possibly still my fave song) and Bloodstone etc.... but it was only with the release of Painkiller that I became a serious fan and began buying up their albums .  I then worked my way back and although I have a couple of others , for me it's all about British Steel through to Painkiller.

As per usual...........share some thoughts on the band, rank the albums (or Top 5) and ,if you're able , Top 10 songs.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The definition of heavy metal

This is tough to pick but albums

1) Defenders of the Faith 2) SFV 3) Painkiller 4) Killing Machine 5) Stained Class

Songs

1) Hellion/Electric Eye 2) Touch of Evil 3) Sentinel 4) Hell Patrol 5) Jawbreaker 6) Beyond the Realms of Death 7) Bloodstone 8) Desert Plains 9) I'm a Rocker 10) Blood Red Skies

The songs are not set in stone but there is no question that 98 Live Meltdown would be my all time favorite live album. Rippers performance is unmatched on that one

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
British Steel is good, Painkiller is excellent, I laughed hard when I heard Turbo Lover for the first time and in my band we played Living After Midnight and Breaking The Law. Other than that I can't comment much on Judas Priest.

This is just another band that mostly escaped me for some reasons in my youth, and now I just don't have the time to listen to all the bands I've missed  :'(
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Judas Priest. :metal

Albums:

1) Sad Wings of Destiny
2) Nostradamus (yes, I'm serious)
3) Painkiller
4) Defenders of the Faith
5) Stained Class (or British Steel, actually. I need to re-listen to both)

Songs are more difficult, will do them later today or tomorrow.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Lowdz

Great band. So influential.

Albums

1 Defenders
2 British Steel

3 Turbo
4 Painkiller
5 SFV

If live albums count then Unleashed iN The East is top.

Songs will need a little more thought and will have to wait until after work!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
1. Jugulator
2. Painkiller
3. Defenders of the Faith
4. Sin After Sin
5. Ram it Down

Yes, weird rankings I know.  Jugulator has a strong nostalgia factor that most of you already know, but really Painkiller I would have no issue being number 1 either, it's a perfect metal album.  Sin After Sin I think it terribly underrated and full of brilliant songs, and Ram It Down, I just love the variety and the bit of cheese.  Turbo could go in here too, love that one too.

Top 10 songs........you could make multiple top 10 lists and they would all be valid.  I'll have a crack though;

1. Painkiller
2. Beyond the Realms of Death
3. Touch of Evil
4. One Shot At Glory
5. Cathedral Spires
6. Rock Hard Ride Free
7. Here Come the Tears
8. Between the Hammer and the Anvil
9. I'm A Rocker
10. Desert Plains

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow,.....I have Jugulator and never really played it.    I will make sure I do before I get my rankings out there.  No need to post in the album thread for the next week.........all day Priest for the next day or two and then all jingle.roulette.list from there.

I should also check out Live Meltdown.  Ripper destroyed my ears when I saw them so it might sound better with some volume control  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Jugulator would never make anyone else's number 1, and won't make your list, I can confirm that.  As you can see from my top 10, Painkiller is the heavy favourite, and I should really put Painkiller at number 1, but just the way I discovered Jugulator and grew with it, I just can't look past it. It opened me up to a heavier style of metal too.  Pure nostalgia for it's rating, but a great slab of brutal immature metal.

Live Meltdown is indeed an incredible live album, as is Live in London.  The Demolition tour was my first ever concert, and the only form of Priest I've seen live, which also makes me love that era even more.  Ripper was destroying eardrums that night.  Never had to block my ears with any other singer cause I thought my eardrums were gonna pop, seriously.