Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 894511 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
How early? I haven't gotten the bio yet. Gene seemed to openly admit that he wasn't invested much in the band during the 80s, I figured this happened after the failure that was The Elder.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Gene was always self serving.  As early as Destroyer ge misses recording sessions.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mosh

Interesting. His contributions seemed about equal with Paul's up until Lick It Up, and then again around the time of Revenge. Especially Carnival of Souls. I don't disagree with the self serving bit, but I just figured he was more involved in Kiss during those times. So that's a surprise.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Paul was always waving the KISS flag while Gene was working on his own enterprise.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Interesting. His contributions seemed about equal with Paul's up until Lick It Up, and then again around the time of Revenge. Especially Carnival of Souls. I don't disagree with the self serving bit, but I just figured he was more involved in Kiss during those times. So that's a surprise.

He was still mostly present at that point, but from Destroyer onwards they started functioning less as a unified band, with less collaboration on each other's songs, and more outside musicians, especially for Peter and Ace.
And even though Gene was always contributing songs, they were never as polished as Paul's, so there were less of them on the albums. Just check out the Love Gun demo, and aside from the guitar solo, it's identical to the studio version. Paul even played bass on that one.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
What Blob said.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
For those of you who like a bit of straight ahead rock/metal the new Riot (V) - Unleash The Fire is pretty damn good.....I rate it 83%   No original members now but they've done a good job of capturing the Riot sound and it's pretty solid from start to finish. 

Another one I finally got around to after a few years is the Forbidden Demos by XYZ...I rate it 90% (making allowances for production and the time).   If you like  XYZ /Marc Diglio (who was just a kid on these demos) it's a must.  A lot of their demos and live stuff from 86-90 are better than most of the melodic rock being done now.  Surprisingly good after going in with no real expectations.  It would never have been released but for original guitarist Bobby Pieper trying to make some money off some crappy old demos , so Terry Ilous responded with these and I'm glad he did. 

A few of my faves off the Riot :

Bring The Hammer Down : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uraePRXUdw0

Take Me Back (bit of a Scorps vibe) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDM-6haRWew

Until We Meet Again:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGvGkHhCNrU

And one from the XYZ demos :

High Life (1988 demo):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cfEG4jjrjY

Google's ad function is obviously buggy when it comes to tracking my browsing as I've been bombarded for days with ads about Mariah Carey gigs.  :-\
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 09:29:26 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
For those of you who like a bit of straight ahead rock/metal the new Riot (V) - Unleash The Fire is pretty damn good.....I rate it 83%   No original members now but they've done a good job of capturing the Riot sound and it's pretty solid from start to finish. 

This is squarely on The List, though I probably will not see until my Christmas haul. Love Todd Michael Hall. I've sampled a few tracks and it's very good.

With apologies to Thundersteel, I have not followed Riot after Born In America, and frankly, I don't consider this a Riot release at all. But I am definitely looking forward to it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
The readers of Rhythm magazine were given a list of 100 of the best drum intros to vote on and these were the Top 10

10) Iron Maiden: Where Eagles Dare

9) Foo Fighters: My Hero

8) Nirvana: Smells Like Teen Spirit

7) Judas Priest: Painkiller

6) Led Zeppelin: When The Levee Breaks

5) Queens Of The Stone Age: A Song For The Dead

4) Led Zeppelin: Rock And Roll

3) Guns N’ Roses: You Could Be Mine

2) Rush: The Spirit Of Radio

1) Van Halen: Hot For Teacher

Good to see the very under rated AVH get some "winning".

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
How the hell did Smells Like Teen Spirit get on this list? ???

Some good picks on there though. HFT has a an awesome intro, so I'm happy to see that in first place. I love You Could Be Mine, but Rock n Roll should have definitely been higher up on this list.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
You need some token grunge in a list to hold your cred these days  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Painkiller!!!!!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
You need some token grunge in a list to hold your cred these days  ;D

I think that inclusion hurts their cred more than anything. :lol

Offline Mosh

The way the drums kick in on that song is awesome. It's very short and simple but it's huge and at this point, iconic.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Surprising yet awesome to see Where Eagles Dare, always loved that one.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Hmm - just found this amongst a pile of junk.  Never listened to it  :facepalm:

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Is that an early version of Invasion?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Is that an early version of Invasion?

Nah - it was actually towards the end of VVI.    VVI was formed around 84 and debuted around 86 - this was copyright 88 which was around the time of All Systems Go.   Supposedly he wrote these songs , demoed them up with JSS and then shopped them around to publishing companies in the hope they would be taken on by other artists.

Vinnie works in mysterious ways.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Is it any good?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Is it any good?

No it wasn't  ;D  It was actually quite poppy - what he was trying to do now makes a bit more sense (break into the charts with some lighter material).  Why I found it amongst a pile of crap now also makes more sense  :D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Is it any good?

No it wasn't  ;D  It was actually quite poppy - what he was trying to do now makes a bit more sense (break into the charts with some lighter material).  Why I found it amongst a pile of crap now also makes more sense  :D

I've heard these and they aren't great.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I just want to say that I bought Mike Lepond's Silent Assassins album and it kicks fuc#ing ass!  :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I just want to say that I bought Mike Lepond's Silent Assassins album and it kicks fuc#ing ass!  :metal

Will check it out........

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Will check it out........

Yeah, that was one I had to check out too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

Heard the first track and thought it was shit. Will give the rest of it a go.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I like that one.

I think the whole album is pretty tasty.

Was it you that was talking about Riot V? I listened to most of the tracks, and I think I prefer the Lepond album. I still may get the Riot V but was underwhelmed.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
It was me talking about the Riot - I rated it around 80% so felt it was a very solid effort without being fantastic.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

Listened to about 1/2 of it myself.  Musically thought it was pretty decent, but vocally I couldn't get into it.  Couple of good moments, but overall, meh.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It was me talking about the Riot - I rated it around 80% so felt it was a very solid effort without being fantastic.

I love the classic East Coast metal. Lepond's album is very 1982ish, but that hits a spot with me. It actually reminds me of classic Riot.

Offline Lowdz

Listening again I was a bit harsh calling it shit. It's ok. I prefer the Riot actually - the singer is better. Not going to set the world on fire, either of them, but yeah, the Riot is better.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Listening again I was a bit harsh calling it shit. It's ok. I prefer the Riot actually - the singer is better. Not going to set the world on fire, either of them, but yeah, the Riot is better.
Love Todd Michael Hall. Likely buying the Riot either tonight or tommorrow. (or Tommorrow And Tonight!)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
the Riot is better.
After two listens, yes I would agree. In fact the Riot V is downright fantastic! TMH's vocals are much better here than the Reverence album, and those were pretty damn stong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Underwhelmed to downright fantastic in one easy step.   That's called a "grower"  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Underwhelmed to downright fantastic in one easy step.   That's called a "grower"  ;D

Yeah but it's true. The Youtube clips didn't do it justice. I actually got goosebumps listening.  I've been looking forward to this album for a while now. Never followed post Born In America Riot, but this has a classic feel even though the band is totally different.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
In fact, I'd say the Riot V is as good as Blind Rage.