Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 908159 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
PAUL!!!!

Someone hijacked your account in the album thread and was posting some wussy music. ;D

:lol

Gotta make the most of sunny days here. We don’t have many. You cleaned your ears out and stopped listening to that growls shit yet?  :lol

You're going to be disappointed my friend.

How are you, how is your health?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Lowder!!  Nice to see you back here.

How are you, how is your health?

Been thinking about that as well.  Saw some FB posts recently, you look good and happy.   :tup

Also, figured this was the place to drop these.  Albums came out recently.

Fifth Angel - When Angels Kill.  Really good.  And a big album at 72 minutes.  Seems to be a concept album with a lot of spoken dialogue leading in and out of the tunes.

The Silent Rage - Nuances of Life.  Wasn't quite my thing - more of a Priest/Judicator/Manimal sound.  A little too screamy for me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Also, figured this was the place to drop these.  Albums came out recently.

Fifth Angel - When Angels Kill.  Really good.  And a big album at 72 minutes.  Seems to be a concept album with a lot of spoken dialogue leading in and out of the tunes.

The Silent Rage - Nuances of Life.  Wasn't quite my thing - more of a Priest/Judicator/Manimal sound.  A little too screamy for me.

The Fifth Angel is tasty. Got halfway through it yesterday, but I just ran out of time to allot to it. I'll be revisiting for sure.

I had dropped the needle on The Silent Rage a week or so ago. I thought it sounded pretty damn solid. Reminded me of Iced Earth. I didn't end up saving it in Spotify though.

If you want to check out some solid clean vocal new metal, check this one out:
Project Roenwolfe
https://open.spotify.com/album/3A7zt311kmk4snke1C3ZwL?si=X_HvvYnVQg2xMJLusSL2qg

Has the Theocracy drummer on it. I don't love the first song, but the album is pretty good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That Fifth Angel is really good.  The band has entered the level of Primal Fear for heaviness.  Not a fan of spoken dialogue but still an impressive release.  Nothing they can ever release will obviously touch those first two albums for me though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll be sure to get onto that this week.  The last album was top notch so interested in seeing what they have up their sleeve this time.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Get rid of the spoken dialogue and condense it a song or two, already much better IMO.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Get rid of the spoken dialogue and condense it a song or two, already much better IMO.

See, I'm totally fine with it.  I love me my concept albums, so the dialogue doesn't irk me at all.

@Tim... I'll check out that Roenwolfe.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I bought the new 6 CD set of Phil Lynott's Grand Slam.

It's their unreleased album, a CD of demos, and 4 concerts.

I'm starting with the Orebro, Sweden 1983 show. It features John Sykes who is smoking!

Phil's short post Thin Lizzy career is NOT to be confused with actual Thin Lizzy. The music is a bit lighter, but for $40, I couldn't pass up this set. I have some bootlegs, but this is a huge upgrade. The shows sound great!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Thin Lizzy's Johnny the Fox Meets Jimmy the Weed and Hollywood (down on your luck) had just came up on my downloaded music on my phone.  Thin Lizzy is such a great band  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That's a great looking set.

Offline nick_z

New album from the Greek, um, unofficial Maiden tribute band?  :) Ok, maybe a little unfair, but they seem to fully embrace their Maiden worship, so...

Anyway, this is obviously not essential listening, but it's well done and I enjoyed it for what it is. Good energy, riffs and melodies.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

New album from the Greek, um, unofficial Maiden tribute band?  :) Ok, maybe a little unfair, but they seem to fully embrace their Maiden worship, so...

Anyway, this is obviously not essential listening, but it's well done and I enjoyed it for what it is. Good energy, riffs and melodies.

Believe it or not, this popped into my youtube feed last night so I dropped the needle on it. Man, the guys sounds so much like Bruce, I simply couldn't listen to it. :lol

Offline nick_z

Believe it or not, this popped into my youtube feed last night so I dropped the needle on it. Man, the guys sounds so much like Bruce, I simply couldn't listen to it. :lol

Yep, it's uncanny  :biggrin:

It really is a fun listen, though...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Might sample it tonight if I remember.  I have a hard time taking anything seriously though that sounds so blatantly like another band, regardless of how strong it may be.

Offline nick_z

Might sample it tonight if I remember.  I have a hard time taking anything seriously though that sounds so blatantly like another band, regardless of how strong it may be.

Agreed - that's always going to be the main issue...

Offline nick_z

Also got around to listening to the new Fifth Angel...saw the positive comments here and I'm going to add mine...very good stuff.

Now, I know their debut is considered a classic of US metal, but for some reason I've never checked it out. It doesn't seem to be on streaming services (haven't checked if the album is uploaded on YT...). Any fan here?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Fifth Angel's first album is highly recommended.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
First two are great.  I really like the more melodic rock approach they went with on the second album too.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Fifth Angel was really my first "favorite band," and to me, they very distinct eras. The first two records, the third record, and now this new era. I say that because the first two albums were primarily written by Ed Archer and Ted Pilot. Yes, a few of the other guys have credits on the tunes, but in general, the songwriting was done by Archer/Pilot. The third record was mostly Kendall Bechtel and Ken Mary. And now this fourth album, very driven by Ken Mary and John Macko. Ed Archer has a handful of credits on the new record (four, I think), but he wasn't the driving creative force.

Their label was very happy with the direction When Angels Kill took. It is very "European Metal" as some call it. And the record has really done well so far, and the band is blown away at the reception. It'll be interesting to see where it all goes from here. These guys aren't young bucks. And a few of them have full time jobs. So whether Fifth Angel continues its usual pattern of doing summer festivals, or they become a worldwide touring band is up in the air.

For me, I like the new album. I liked the third one too. It's hard for any band to live up to that first record. It was a different time, 40 years ago. It's like comparing anything Queensryche does to Mindcrime, or anything DT does to Images and Words or SFAM - just a gigantic thing to live up to. Fifth Angel sounds different these days, but it's okay. It's a new era. And I'm happy for them. I know several current and former members of the band well, and I'm glad they are getting some recognition finally.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity

Wow - I don't think I've ever heard another album that sounds just like Somewhere in Time.

Also, I really love the new Fifth Angel record. 

Offline nick_z

Thank you all for the Fifth Angel recs!

@Samsara - good stuff...how did you come to know members of the band? Was that in the context of interviewing/writing about their music?

Offline nick_z

Wow - I don't think I've ever heard another album that sounds just like Somewhere in Time.

Right?! There are some parts/moods that sound straight from that one...including the final epic...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Just listened to the first track.  It was pretty damn good but off the bat you have Long Distance Runner mixed with Deja Vu.  :lol

The vocals are very Bruce bit his higher register reminds me more of Tobias Sammet.  The song was good though, I will listen to the whole thing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Having a listen through this now properly and I was wrong here, I think this is fantastic.  High quality melodic metal.  I also don't hear that much Bruce as others do as I mentioned.  I hear more earlier Edguy and even reminds me of a band called Lancer.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Having a listen through this now properly and I was wrong here, I think this is fantastic.  High quality melodic metal.  I also don't hear that much Bruce as others do as I mentioned.  I hear more earlier Edguy and even reminds me of a band called Lancer.

I have a Lancer CD, well, download.

Ok, maybe I'll give it another chance.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Don't get me wrong, Bruce does come to mind all over this, but the dude is strong enough in his own right.  I think the songs are very strong.

I have their album Mastery on CD.  Really cool album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Don't get me wrong, Bruce does come to mind all over this, but the dude is strong enough in his own right.  I think the songs are very strong.

I have their album Mastery on CD.  Really cool album.

Yeah, that's the one. Haven't heard it in ages.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

So I put this on while doing yardwork this morning, which BTW, already puts me in a foul mood. ;D

Anyway, I gotta be honest..this album pissed me off. :lol
Yeah, I hear some Tobi, but the guy sounds so much like Bruce, I cannot listen to it. I got through 4 or 5 songs.

I think I'll just listen to Skunkworks next time.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
I think I'll just listen to Skunkworks next time.

That's probably the best Maiden-related insult.   :lol

Offline nick_z

I like Skunkworks! :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
... said no one ever.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I like Skunkworks!  :metal :metal :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline nick_z

There you go, it’s already two of us…anyone else willing to come forward?  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Er..I said it first! We're at three now, and I know Wolfking will be joining the club as well.

Offline nick_z

Er..I said it first! We're at three now, and I know Wolfking will be joining the club as well.

Oh, I thought you said it in jest!