Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 902335 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
For anyone wanting to check out a couple of the bands mentioned re Steve Grimmett.............just bear a couple of things in mind  :)

Lionheart/Lionsheart...........there is a band called Lionheart but we're talking Lionsheart

Onslaught - Steve only appeared on one album and it was a lot more melodic and considered a bit of a sellout by the diehard fans.  The one to checkout is In Search Of Sanity and this is the title track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CEiMfAx4qw
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah nice guys, I'll sample the Onslaught.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

That Onslaught album is excellent. never heard them before. I just thought they were a shitty thrash band.

Offline Lowdz

Anyone tried the new Lillian Axe? I love this band. Going to see them next week. Can't remember if I saw them back in the day or not so might be the last chance i get. They don't come to the UK often.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Anyone tried the new Lillian Axe?

I never even tried the old Lillian Axe. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Anyone tried the new Lillian Axe?

I never even tried the old Lillian Axe. :lol

:lol  Same.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
That Onslaught album is excellent. never heard them before. I just thought they were a shitty thrash band.
  :tup

Anyone tried the new Lillian Axe? I love this band. Going to see them next week. Can't remember if I saw them back in the day or not so might be the last chance i get. They don't come to the UK often.

Is it worth trying?  Ron Taylor was a huge part of their sound.  Psychoschizophrenia is a classic IMO (and Poetic Justice was damn good to............even just for the album cover  :lol ) but I really haven't taken much notice since.  Everything I tried out (or bought in the case of Fields of Yesterday) just seemed a shadow of their past. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 06:59:46 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

:tup

Is it worth trying?  Ron Taylor was a huge part of their sound.  Psychoschizophrenia is a classic IMO (and Poetic Justice was damn good to............even just for the album cover  :lol ) but I really haven't taken much notice since.  Everything I tried out (or bought in the case of Fields of Yesterday) just seemed a shadow of their past.

Their sound changed after Ron left. All their singers have had a similar voice but Ron was great. They went a bit gothic sounding I guess. A darker sound. I’ve enjoyed all their albums. Love & War and Poetic Justice made my top 50. As you say, Psychoschizophrenia was excellent too.

I tried the new one last night when I went to bed but nodded off. Not a commentary on the album + I was just very tired.

I’ve always like Stevie Blaze’s guitar playing. Underrated.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wolfking....your inbox is full!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Sorry mate, I knew this message was coming when it was full this morning!  :sad:

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
What does everyone think about the album "Promised Land" by Queensryche?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Trolls only get 25 messages in their inbox - be patient!

:tdwn  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Trolls only get 25 messages in their inbox - be patient!

:tdwn  :lol

Lol.  I have asked for a bigger inbox but haven't had a reply.  :sadpanda:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

:lol  :facepalm:

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Psychoschizophrenia is a classic IMO

Totally agree. I absolutely love that album. I wish that lineup had been able to keep it together. I still reach for this one fairly often.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
So, I've always thought that Joe Lynn Turner's hair was awful, like, really awful. Well, it turns out that was never his hair. The man has been bald pretty much his entire life. It's been wigs his entire career. Oh, and he has a new song and album coming.

https://planetradio.co.uk/planet-rock/news/rock-news/joe-lynn-turner-alopecia/
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wow, I did not know that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Really??  I thought it was obvious as fuck he wore wigs.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

JLT and rugs has been an ongoing joke for 25+ years but beyond that I cannot remember. 

I've heard the new song and he's trying to do Judas Priest ............getting some positive reviews but doesn't work for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOvp2eteNXE&feature=youtu.be

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

JLT and rugs has been an ongoing joke for 25+ years but beyond that I cannot remember. 

I've heard the new song and he's trying to do Judas Priest ............getting some positive reviews but doesn't work for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOvp2eteNXE&feature=youtu.be

Pretty solid.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I never really cared, although if it was a wig all along, he could have gotten one that at least looks good.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Kade, clear your inbox.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Kade, clear your inbox.

I'm sorry I'm sorry......

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Kade, clear your inbox.

I'm sorry I'm sorry......

Puppies Concept Album sent!!!

Offline WardySI

Big fan here too and reckon Psycho is their peak album and it already hinted at the direction that Steve would take moving forward.   But there's plenty more to like both before then and after, I've enjoyed all their eras.  Water's Rising was my personal favourite of the post Ron Taylor albums, the title track alone worth the price and the variation on that one was exceptional, it all works.  And The Days Before Tomorrow was probably the closest they came to releasing something as strong as their heyday, fantastic album.

So far as the new one goes I'm not 100% sold on From Womb To Tomb.  It's a grand attempt at a conceptual start to finish deal but after almost a 10yr wait and with a new throat on mic it's a little overly ambitious maybe?  That said there's a good half dozen cuts I am loving too so digging in regardless 🤘

I will add this has been one hell of a thread to (try) and catch up with too LOL (I cheated and jumped in at a few pages back)...

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
I never really cared, although if it was a wig all along, he could have gotten one that at least looks good.

Exactly! Now knowing that was a rug all this time I can't believe what he went with all these years.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I can't believe he kept it hidden all of these years. I mean he made three Rainbow albums with what, about 15 different band members.  ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Big fan here too and reckon Psycho is their peak album and it already hinted at the direction that Steve would take moving forward.   But there's plenty more to like both before then and after, I've enjoyed all their eras.  Water's Rising was my personal favourite of the post Ron Taylor albums, the title track alone worth the price and the variation on that one was exceptional, it all works.  And The Days Before Tomorrow was probably the closest they came to releasing something as strong as their heyday, fantastic album.

So far as the new one goes I'm not 100% sold on From Womb To Tomb.  It's a grand attempt at a conceptual start to finish deal but after almost a 10yr wait and with a new throat on mic it's a little overly ambitious maybe?  That said there's a good half dozen cuts I am loving too so digging in regardless

I will add this has been one hell of a thread to (try) and catch up with too LOL (I cheated and jumped in at a few pages back)...

Thanks Wardy ......will do a little more digging when I get the chance. .    Have always enjoyed your posts.....here and elsewhere. If you haven't picked up on it I was one of the first members on the mr.com Noticeboard (as brent and later theoriginalbrent when some ass registered under the same to cause trouble) and moved myself over here about a decade ago when I got sick of a few of the self-appointed authorities over there  :azn:  This has turned into one of (if not the) biggest thread on DTF so have fun  :lol
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 02:05:09 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
A bit of a coincidence that Brent left over there and about 10 years ago was when the whole melodic rock scene turned to absolute shit.....hmm....

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
https://bravewords.com/news/metalshop-host-charlie-kendall-uploads-episodes-of-classic-radio-program-with-updated-commentary

This is going to be good. My local station played the Metal Shop at midnight on Saturdays for about a year and a half. Just listening to this clip brings back so many memories.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
The ultimate soul metal mash up  :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hrj_uCWxp5Y

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The ultimate soul metal mash up  :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hrj_uCWxp5Y

I watched that the other night when it popped up on my feed, it's fucking incredible.

This one I also found was just amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR3uz8rq4ng

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Interesting project here..

https://bravewords.com/news/elegant-weapons-new-metal-supergroup-featuring-members-of-judas-priest-rainbow-and-pantera-to-issue-debut-album-in-spring-23

Ronnie Romero (ok..not that interesting..)
Richie Faulkner
Rex Brown
Scott Travis

Offline Deathless

Interesting project here..

https://bravewords.com/news/elegant-weapons-new-metal-supergroup-featuring-members-of-judas-priest-rainbow-and-pantera-to-issue-debut-album-in-spring-23

Ronnie Romero (ok..not that interesting..)
Richie Faulkner
Rex Brown
Scott Travis

Romero is fine but I wish there was a new "flavor of the week" singer that gets picked up for these melodic/hard rock projects. Brown and Travis are a really interesting rhythm section and it will be fun to hear Richie's stuff!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
What does everyone think of the Pantera "reunion".......seems solid to me