Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 902035 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Yes Midnight/Tornado............ :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
But also have to give an Honorable Mention to Big Guns, the best song about boobs.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
The first two Skid Row records were great. Really captured something there.

And Beat Yourself Blind from Subhuman Race has some amazing screaming on it.  :metal

But the two new tracks I've heard make my toes curl from a lyric and vocal delivery point of view. Trying SOOOO hard ... but no cigar. The solo on Tear It Down was cool.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Skid Row s/t is a Top 10 of all time album for me.  I too was shocked by Slave to The Grind, and it took some getting used to.  At first, I wasn't prepared for that level of heaviness from Skid Row, but I grew to love it.  And those 4 power ballads are all god-tier (though, nothing touches I Will Remember You, imo).

Guess I gotta check out the new tunes.

Are you just referring to Slave to the Grind? If so, which one do you count as the fourth power ballad?  :)

Typo... I meant 3 (from SttG) of course.

Honestly, I applaud anyone that is still paying attention to Skid Row. That's hard core.

I actually cannot name a single tune from anything post-Subhuman Race  :biggrin:
I can't even name anything of Subhuman Race!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline nick_z

Putting this here mostly for Tim, since he's a fan of (and introduced me to) the band Seven Sisters...

Their vocalist/guitarist will be releasing an album under the Phantom Spell moniker, apparently exploring his passion for a more "prog-rock" sound. A couple of tracks from the Bandcamp page:

https://phantomspell.bandcamp.com/album/immortals-requiem

Not sure who else is involved. Based on the two songs, it is a little more 70s oriented, but still very punchy. Sounds intriguing and promising...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Putting this here mostly for Tim, since he's a fan of (and introduced me to) the band Seven Sisters...

Their vocalist/guitarist will be releasing an album under the Phantom Spell moniker, apparently exploring his passion for a more "prog-rock" sound. A couple of tracks from the Bandcamp page:

https://phantomspell.bandcamp.com/album/immortals-requiem

Not sure who else is involved. Based on the two songs, it is a little more 70s oriented, but still very punchy. Sounds intriguing and promising...

Hey Nick, thanks! Phantom Spell actually came up in my youtube feed a few days ago. I thought it looked cool, so I clicked it. I immediately recognized the voice as Kyle McNeill. After a little digging, sure enough, it is him.
And yes it has a more 70's feel to it rather than the NWOBHM feel of Seven Sisters. I'm digging it, and will buy an album as soon as they have one.

I also thought the artwork looked familiar..

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

Is it just me or is the new Skid Row really good? I haven't listened to their non-Bach output but this sounds great. I like it much more than the first single. Hill and Snake are a really underrated guitar duo IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l78xN_hTRLk

I had a listen to the post STTG albums recently and found them to be solid. I never bothered first time round. I think I heard a song with a punky vibe and checked out. I still don’t own STTG as I hated the couple of songs I heard on release but listening to it years later I can enjoy it. Wasted Time is an incredible song, and up there with the best of the debut.

I can listen to Erik anytime so enjoyed the new song. It isn’t earthsakingly good or anything, but decent.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Dirkschneider at this year's Wacken. Just posted today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyjhixTU0-4

It's all Accept songs. I must say, his voice sounds great.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

His voice never sounded great Tim. He sounded Udo.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

His voice never sounded great Tim. He sounded Udo.

Rite??  I was thinking "great" and Dirkschneider's voice should never be uttered in the same sentence.  :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I love UDO.  His music is consistently excellent and sorry, I love his voice, its excellent for what it is IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

I love UDO.  His music is consistently excellent and sorry, I love his voice, its excellent for what it is IMO.

He is definitely an important figure in the early days of metal, and managed to survive as a solo artist in an increasingly competitive and ungrateful market. The fact that he's playing with his son (who also manages his career) now is pretty cool. If you want straight-ahead metal with absolutely no frills, Udo absolutely delivers!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Indeed.  Didn't dig the last album too much but the couple before it were just awesome.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Anyone spin Sinner/Brotherhood yet.  Me liking very much.  Solid +++

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I sampled one song and it had a real old school, Judgement Day/Nature of Evil vibe.  It was very good.  I'll try and get onto it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

I sampled one song and it had a real old school, Judgement Day/Nature of Evil vibe.  It was very good.  I'll try and get onto it.

Certainly a lot of PF vibes, but also a splash of Preist in there every so often. 

Offline Lowdz

Certainly a lot of PF vibes, but also a splash of Preist in there every so often.

I gave it  a listen. It was "solid"

Offline Lowdz

https://youtu.be/e9oJrJ4g27U

I didn’t see this one coming. Jim Matheos with Steve Overland of FM? Interesting.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I didn’t see this one coming. Jim Matheos with Steve Overland of FM? Interesting.

Kinda blows.

Offline Lowdz

Playing it a second time after listening to this A-Z everyone is raving about and preferring this so far.. admittedly I’m only a couple of songs in to the A-Z and this is just one song.

Offline Lowdz

Ok I take it back. This A-Z is pretty great. Going to have to buy it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Kinda blows.

Yeah... a track showed up in my Spotify new release list, and it was all kinds of meh

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Tommy Aldridge turned 72 today. WOW!  He looked 72 in 1982. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

He looks 172.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Damn - just heard that Steve Grimmett (Grim Reaper/Onslaught/Lionsheart) has passed away aged 62.  Possibly not a big name to many here but I was a massive fan of Lionsheart in particular in my younger days .  He had such a distinctive voice (and look   :) ) and by all accounts , including one very brief chat I had with him, seemed to be the nicest guy you could ever meet.  Like many good eggs in the industry I understand he was milked of almost all the money he should've made by record labels/managers etc.......  He has been through hell over recent years - pun not intended - after losing a leg during a tour of Ecuador.  Possibly not the best place to develop a severe bone infection , but on the surface at least , he just dealt with it like a trooper and has been performing on and off with a prosthetic leg/wheelchair. One of the genuine good guys.

R.I.P Steve  :-[

« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 06:30:33 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I actually saw Grim Reaper in 1987. Only stayed for the first few songs.

I saw his name in the news, but for some reason, I thought he had already passed.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Don't know anything from him, except the song See You in Hell which is him I think?

God damn 62 is young.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Don't know anything from him, except the song See You in Hell which is him I think?

God damn 62 is young.

Yeah that's the one Kade.  I'm sure there would've been a discussion around Lionsheart in my Top 50 but cannot remember much.

Here's a melodic rock/metal track from Lionsheart that just about blew my head off when I first heard it as a kid   :metal

Portrait : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKHLCj328Y4
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 06:42:20 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Zoom E

I really enjoyed the first few Grim Reaper albums, and also the one album Steve did with Onslaught. He had a great set of pipes.

RIP

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So, going back to Tommy Aldridge for a second, one thing I remember from Rudy Sarzo's book is that the band would arrive in whatever city they were playing, and there was always a girl there to pick up Tommy. Rudy said he had a girl in every city. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

God damn 62 is young.

Yeah that's the one Kade.  I'm sure there would've been a discussion around Lionsheart in my Top 50 but cannot remember much.

Here's a melodic rock/metal track from Lionsheart that just about blew my head off when I first heard it as a kid   :metal

That was cracking.  Great guitar work and strong Malmsteen vibe through the whole.  Tremendous vocals too.  Will endeavor to delve further.

Offline nick_z

So true  :lol :lol

Offline Zoom E

God damn 62 is young.

That was cracking.  Great guitar work and strong Malmsteen vibe through the whole.  Tremendous vocals too.  Will endeavor to delve further.

I gave that a listen too and was very impressed. I had never listened to Lionheart before.

Wolf, you might also want to check out the Onslaught album for a bit of thrash.

Offline WardySI

Oh man that's sad news indeed after everything he went through.

I never ventured into Reaper a whole lot nor Onslaught tbf and I missed Lionsheart back in the day but stumbled accross their catalogue many years back and it was one true discoveries what a rabbit hole that was, some sensational 80's styled hard rock released during the genres dark days. 

Excellent stuff and what a voice!

RIP Steve